TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Dark Matter (SyFy) -- Season 3 Thread -- premieres 6/9/17

Originally Posted by randian
It sounds like ratings played no part in the decision to cancel, but as you say why was this picked up if that's the case. I wonder if there has been a change of management at Syfy or NBC, and the new management only wants wholly owned shows. Of course that means you'll take a bigger hit if a show fails. I think DM was also canceled because it has no supernatural component, and one of the articles on DM's cancellation mentioned that as Syfy's future direction.
Kind of a puzzling choice too because SyFy just greenlit "Krypton" the Superman prequel that is airing in 2018 and that show is produced by DC and Warner Bros.

You would think that a relatively cheap Canadian co-production would be enticing to keep on the air to fill summer programming.
Old 09-04-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

https://www.change.org/p/syfy-renew-...r-for-season-4

FWIW, a save Dark Matter petition was started this past weekend.

Over 21,000 fans signed it. Pretty decent number after only 1 weekend. I went ahead and signed.
Old 09-04-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

The Expanse is another show not wholly owned by Syfy/NBC. The same reasons for canceling Dark Matter pertain to that show too.
Old 09-04-17, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts

The Expanse is another show not wholly owned by Syfy/NBC. The same reasons for canceling Dark Matter pertain to that show too.
Then I guess we'll have to see what happens there. If it's been picked up, -and I think it has, -then they'll at least see through that commitment.

It's sort of like Cinemax. They had a regime change and dropped "Strike Back" and "Banshee". They started "Outcast" and "Quarry". Now there's been another regime change and they dropped "Quarry" and are re-booting "Strike Back". "Outcast" Season Two is in the can but they've not committed to a broadcast date, though it's definitely dead in the water otherwise.
Old 09-05-17, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Huh, I didn't know it wasn't owned by them. It was released on blu-ray through NBCUniversal so I thought it was completely theirs.
Old 09-05-17, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Huh, I didn't know it wasn't owned by them. It was released on blu-ray through NBCUniversal so I thought it was completely theirs.
The Expanse is financed and produced by Alcon Television Group (ATG), which is a division of Alcon Entertainment. NBC Universal is the distributor.
Old 09-10-17, 02:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Dark Matter fandom in conjunction w the product are kicking it up a lot! Tweet events etc. His blog indicates people are taking notice ... fingers crossed.

https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/
Old 09-11-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

It's weird I always thought that Killjoys was the one they made less from as was on the bubble. Dark Matter would be a drop in the bucket for Netflix.
Old 09-12-17, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, Netflix could easily pick it up. However, if their metrics tell them that people haven't or aren't currently watching the seasons available as of now.
Old 09-13-17, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Yeah, Netflix could easily pick it up. However, if their metrics tell them that people haven't or aren't currently watching the seasons available as of now.
True, but they also dont really have anything like Dark Matter would seem to be a good move for them.
Old 03-10-18, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had somehow never heard of Dark Matter before running across it a couple weeks ago on Netflix, but I just finished the final episode.

Man, this show was right up my alley. I really grew to like the characters, especially in the second and third seasons; the cast had a great dynamic. I hope we see the resolution of the alien invasion and android rebellion plots in some form someday.

I am a bit surprised Netflix didn't pick this up as a Canadian co-production, like Travelers—although Travelers is surely a lot cheaper to produce.
Old 03-11-18, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 152 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I had somehow never heard of Dark Matter before running across it a couple weeks ago on Netflix, but I just finished the final episode.

Man, this show was right up my alley. I really grew to like the characters, especially in the second and third seasons; the cast had a great dynamic. I hope we see the resolution of the alien invasion and android rebellion plots in some form someday.

I am a bit surprised Netflix didn't pick this up as a Canadian co-production, like Travelers—although Travelers is surely a lot cheaper to produce.
The last hope for the show was a deal with MGM for their Stargate streaming services. It didn’t work out though even though that service is dying for content. The creator might return to its comic book origins to finish so the story.
Old 03-12-18, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I was really hoping for some other news. I caught this on Netflix and loved it. I typically don't watch Sy-Fy since most of their content is crap, I do watch The Expanse, but as stated this is not their own.
Old 06-29-21, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

And now I'm done with the entire series.

I absolutely LOVE Dark Matter. It is exactly the kind of Science Fiction TV I love. It's serious, slightly dark, but also a lot of fun and has enough humor to keep it from being oppressively serious (like The Expanse).

That cliffhanger was awesome, too! That sure looked like they were going to have one hell of a 4th season!

But everything worked with this show - the writing, the direction, the cast - it was all great. I'll tell you what, though, I would imagine that you won't get too many producers signing on to produce shows for SyFy that SyFy doesn't own. They cancel most of the shows they don't own after a short time, and often don't give advance notice. Fuck SyFy.

Still, Dark Matter ended up being a real gem. I'm glad I discovered it. And going in KNOWING that it was canceled and ended on a cliffhanger made that a little less painful. Slightly.