Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Wonder Woman 1984 (2020, D: Jenkins) S: Gadot, Wiig -- News and Rumors

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Wonder Woman 1984 (2020, D: Jenkins) S: Gadot, Wiig -- News and Rumors

Old 06-20-17, 01:34 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts
re: Wonder Woman 1984 (2020, D: Jenkins) S: Gadot, Wiig -- News and Rumors

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I was thinking that but I also think "Pay her."
And they should.
Old 06-20-17, 01:39 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

They're going to have to pay Gal too:

"Wonder Woman" star Gal Gadot has a message for the studio that produced her mega-hit flick ... open your wallet -- wide.

Reports have surfaced Gadot made just $300,000 for each of the 3 movies she made with the studio -- "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice," "Wonder Woman" and the yet-to-be-released "Justice League."

"Wonder Woman" has become the driver of the 2017 box office, pulling in $570 million worldwide in less than 3 weeks.

We're told the $300k is about right, but sources familiar with the negotiations tell TMZ she has "huge performance bonuses" for "Wonder Woman" and she will end up with many times the base salary.

We're also told Gadot is planning a "major renegotiation" of her deal for sequels ... something common when relatively unknown actors make bare bones deals but then hit it big.
http://www.tmz.com/2017/06/20/gad-ga...renegotiation/
Old 06-20-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Hopefully they can get both locked down before SDCC. Would be a nice announcement.
Old 06-20-17, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Pay her too, while they're at it. Movie will also sell big on video.
Old 06-20-17, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts

Patty Jenkins Developing ‘Wonder Woman’ Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)
Erin Nyren Staff Writer @ecnyren
JUNE 20, 2017 | 01:01PM PT

Variety revealed the news in an exclusive interview with Jon Berg and Geoff Johns, who oversee the DC film universe for Warner Bros.

“Patty and I are writing the treatment right now,” Johns said. “The goal is to make another great ‘Wonder Woman’ film.”

Johns said that he “had a blast” working with Jenkins on the first “Wonder Woman” and that the pair already have a “cool idea” for the followup.

Warner Bros. Pictures President and CCO Toby Emmerich told Variety in a separate interview that the sequel won’t take place during World War I like the first, but is still likely to be set in the past.

“It will take place somewhere between 1917 and 2017,” Emmerich said coyly.

Jenkins said in interviews a few days after the release of “Wonder Woman” that she would set a sequel in the United States rather than Europe, so if she’s involved in the treatment for the sequel, fans may be able to look forward to some Amazonian action stateside.

Despite these confirmations of her involvement, however, Warner Bros. Pictures has not yet announced if Jenkins will direct the next “Wonder Woman” film.

“Wonder Woman” has earned over $573 million worldwide to date.
Old 06-20-17, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

WW's success has a lot to do with coasting off what the animated movie already did. They are going to really have to work hard with the next one.
Old 06-20-17, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
WW's success has a lot to do with coasting off what the animated movie already did. They are going to really have to work hard with the next one.
I doubt Geoff Johns and Patty Jenkins sat down and watched the animated movie and took notes, I'm almost certain the animated movie adapted stories from the comics.
Old 06-20-17, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Wow, Gadot only made a $900K base salary for the 3 movies?

Damn, she's definitely going to get a huge raise. It wouldn't surprise me at all if she gets at least $10-15M for the next Wonder Woman movie.
Old 06-21-17, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

So she is not under contract for this one? Nice she should get a nice bump in pay then.
Old 06-21-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 187 Posts

The animated film, the new movie and the old TV show are all based on well-established elements from the DC Comics version. They all add and subtract their own little tweaks and nuances. There was even recently an "Earth One" Graphic Novel by Grant Morrison and Yanick Paquette that presents another version of the origin story which reads like a screenplay draft with "Etta Candy" drawn to look like actress Rebel Wilson.
Old 06-21-17, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

You are vastly overestimating the audience that watched the 2009 animated movie.
Old 06-21-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
You are vastly overestimating the audience that watched the 2009 animated movie.
And vastly underestimating Geoff Johns' knowledge of DC Comics.

As long as they don't rush it, they'll be fine. Plus, seems like it could line up for them (DC). You've got Aquaman in 2018, The Batman in 2019, Wonder Woman 2 in 2020, Man of Steel 2 in 2021. Then in between they could have Batgirl (wouldn't surprise me if 2019 could work and a good pairing with The Batman), Shazam, Justice League Dark, Nightwing, Gotham City Sirens and Suicide Squad 2.
Old 06-21-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

I find this a very strange statement. Can you clarify what you mean? The success with audiences has almost nothing to do with the animated movie. The vast majority of the movie-going public hasn't seen or even heard of the animated movie. If you mean the creative team coasted off of the narrative elements from the animated movie when developing the live action movie, that too is misguided since both simply draw from the comics and there is plenty of other content in the comics to draw from.
Old 06-21-17, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I think he was referring to the script. I haven't seen the animated flick but the way I read DthRdrX's post is that the the WW2017 cribbed most of the plot from the animated flick and now the creative team is going to have to come up with something on their own this time.

I doubt he meant the audience as I'm sure the numbers for the animated flick are quite small.
Old 06-21-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
I find this a very strange statement. Can you clarify what you mean? The success with audiences has almost nothing to do with the animated movie. The vast majority of the movie-going public hasn't seen or even heard of the animated movie. If you mean the creative team coasted off of the narrative elements from the animated movie when developing the live action movie, that too is misguided since both simply draw from the comics and there is plenty of other content in the comics to draw from.
Please, the movie is 90% or more RIGHT from what was already animated.
Old 06-21-17, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I doubt he meant the audience as I'm sure the numbers for the animated flick are quite small.
Which is a shame because I thought it was one of the better DCAU films when it was released. Most people just never saw it though.
Old 06-21-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looking at the plot rundown (as I haven't seen the animated movie in years) on Wikipedia, it's not 90%. There are a few similarities, like Trevor crash landing on Themyscira and Ares being the main villain, but that's in itself RIGHT from the comics. I don't recall there being Doctor Poison in the animated version. Or No Man's Land. Or the rag tag team. You get the point.

For those interested, here is the plot from Wikipedia (spoilerized for size):
Spoiler:
Centuries ago, the Amazons, a proud and fierce race of warrior women, led by their Queen, Hippolyta, battled Ares, the god of war, and his army. During the battle, Hippolyta specifically targeted and beheaded her son Thrax, whom Ares forcibly conceived with her and who is fighting for his father. Hippolyta then defeated Ares, but Zeus stopped her from delivering the death strike. Instead, Hera bound his powers with magic bracers so that he was deprived of his ability to draw power from the psychic aura of violence and death he could instigate, effectively rendering him mortal, and only another god could release him. In compensation, the Amazons were granted the island of Themyscira, where they would remain eternally youthful and isolated from Man in the course of their duty of holding Ares prisoner for all eternity. Later, Hippolyta was granted a daughter, Princess Diana, whom she shaped from the sand of the Themyscirian seashore and gave life with her own blood.

Over a millennium later, an American fighter pilot, USAF Colonel Steve Trevor, is shot down in a dogfight and crash-lands on the island, where he soon runs afoul of the Amazon population, including the warlike, aggressive Artemis. Steve and Diana meet and fight, and she defeats him, taking him to the Amazons. After interrogating him with the use of the Amazons' golden lasso, Hippolyta decides he is not an enemy of the Amazons and as such, tradition dictates that an emissary be tasked to ensure his safe return to his own country. Diana volunteers, but is assigned to guard Ares's cell instead since her mother argues that she has not enough experience in dealing with the dangers of the outside world. Diana defies her mother and, her face hidden by a helmet and her guard duty covered by her bookish but kind-hearted Amazon sister Alexa, participates in contests of strength and wins the right to take Trevor back to his home.

In the meantime, the Amazon Persephone, who has been gradually seduced by Ares, kills Alexa and releases him. With the additional task of capturing Ares, Diana brings Trevor to New York City, where he volunteers to help Diana on her quest. An investigation uncovers a pattern of violence created by Ares' presence that will lead to him given time, and the pair goes out to a bar while they wait. After some heavy drinking, Trevor makes a pass at Diana. They argue outside, but are attacked first by thugs and then the demigod Deimos. Deimos kills himself to prevent being interrogated, but Diana and Steve find a clue on his body that leads them to a concealed gateway to the underworld guarded by members of a still-extant ancient cult of Ares.

Once there, Diana attempts to subdue Ares, but he summons harpies that knock her unconscious, prompting Trevor to save her instead of stopping Ares. Meanwhile, Ares performs a sacrifice to open a gate to the Underworld where he persuades his uncle Hades (who has made Thrax his slave) to remove the bracers, though Hades does not tell Ares that the ultimate cost of removing the bracers would be Ares' own death in combat. Later, Diana regains consciousness in a hospital and is furious that Trevor saved her rather than stop Ares. Trevor argues against her abuse with his own criticism of the Amazons' self-imposed isolation and their generalizations about men, and reveals how much he cares about her.

Ares and his army attack Washington, D.C. Trevor and Diana arrive to battle Ares and are soon joined by the Amazons. While Ares manages even to summon the Amazons long dead from the Underworld to fight their own sisters, his scheme is stopped by Alexa, a member of the undead host, who reveals to Artemis a chant which nullifies Ares's control over them. The undead then turn on Ares but are destroyed by his powers. Hippolyta faces Persephone in combat and kills her, but in her dying breath, Persephone makes the queen realize that in shutting the Amazons away from the world of men, she has denied them the chance to live their lives as women.

Meanwhile, the President of the United States is influenced by Ares's power and orders a nuclear missile against Themyscira, assuming the island nation to be the source of the attack on Washington. This act of supreme aggression increases Ares's power, but Trevor takes the invisible jet and shoots down the missile just before it hits the island. Finally, after a brutal beating at Ares's hands, Diana finally outmaneuvers and beheads him in the same manner that Hippolyta beheaded Thrax. As Trevor arrives back at the scene, Diana finally accepts him, as the two share a kiss, and the crowd of Amazons begin cheering. Subsequently, Ares is condemned to the underworld to attend Hades as a slave alongside his son.

Later on Themyscira, in memory of Alexa, Artemis takes up the hobby of reading (with severe difficulty). Hippolyta realizes that Diana misses both the outside world and Trevor, and to make her happy again, she gives her daughter the task of being a channel for 'communication between men and women'. Diana accepts and returns to New York, where she enjoys the company of Trevor. Their relationship comes with the understanding of her larger duties, such as when Diana sees Cheetah robbing a museum and she excuses herself to stop the supervillainess as the newly christened Wonder Woman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonder_Woman_(2009_film)
Old 06-22-17, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Which is a shame because I thought it was one of the better DCAU films when it was released. Most people just never saw it though.
Most of the movie was recycled from the animated flick. For the sequel, they can set it during WWII and have Hades being the big bad. If you are familiar with the animated JLU animated series, it was hinted that Hades was her father.
Old 06-22-17, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Most of the movie was recycled from the animated flick. For the sequel, they can set it during WWII and have Hades being the big bad. If you are familiar with the animated JLU animated series, it was hinted that Hades was her father.
Who cares? No one saw it. TheMovieman just pointed out that is not the case.
Old 06-22-17, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,299 Likes on 943 Posts

Even if it was 100% taken from the animated movie, I (and most) don't give a rat's ass.
Old 06-22-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Most of the movie was recycled from the animated flick.
So we've gone from 90% to "most" which still isn't the case. At all. The commonalities between the two were from the comics. But no point in rehashing; just read the plot summary of the animated movie and you can see it's not that close.
Old 06-22-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Haven't seen the film yet, but when I saw the animated movie I felt like that was it. This is "the Mask of the Phantasm" for Wonder Woman. A movie that perfectly captures the whole essence of the character in a story that enhances the mythos and makes it unforgettable.
Since the live action movie seems to cover similar ground, I agree it will be hard to come up with another story to tell. But I'm no comic book expert so maybe some of you guys know of other great stories that could adapted
Old 06-22-17, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
So we've gone from 90% to "most" which still isn't the case. At all. The commonalities between the two were from the comics. But no point in rehashing; just read the plot summary of the animated movie and you can see it's not that close.
Stop pestering people with the facts!
Old 06-22-17, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts

The two movies have man of the same narrative beats because they're based on the same source material. This is like saying that the Lord of the Rings live action movies are 90% or more right from the 1978 animated movie. No, they are both right from the original source material - the books.
Old 06-29-17, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

https://www.advocate.com/film/2017/6...utm_medium=ORG

Patty Jenkins confirms she's directing the Wonder Woman sequel.

While speaking in a Q&A at Women in Film screening of her smash hit Wonder Woman, director Patty Jenkins confirmed she will indeed direct the upcoming Wonder Woman sequel.

"I had an epiphany about Wonder Woman 2," she told the audience of fellow female filmmakers, "I was like, you don't have to do this. It doesn't have to be a foregone conclusion that you do Wonder Woman 2. But then as I was falling asleep I had an epiphany. I was like, Wait a minute. You have the greatest character of all time that you love dearly, with a cast that you love sitting at the palm of your hand at this day and age — you can do whatever you want with them — are you crazy? And then I suddenly realized, it's not more, it's another movie. It's its own movie. And it's got to be great."

Amid cheers, she continued, "It's a continuation of the same character, but there's a great, entirely different story to be told." Jenkins also hinted that the sequel will take place in modern day. "With this character in our—" She said, before correcting herself, "in the world, that's fun, because now she exists, just funny, and also says something profound about the world we're in right now."

However, the studio has yet to confirm this news.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-29-17 at 02:54 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.