Reload this Page >

Biggest Batman News in Decades

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Biggest Batman News in Decades

Old 07-31-18, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Biggest Batman News in Decades

Which is funny because they already did that for 5 years with 52.
Old 07-31-18, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Which is funny because they already did that for 5 years with 52.
And it bombed
Old 07-31-18, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I was under the impression that DC was doing a lot better than Marvel at the moment in terms of fans being happy with their comics output, but by all means go and copy the exact same things everybody criticizes Marvel for. Hey, I have an idea, how about a crossover event that is integral to the continuity of your universe being on endless delay? Oh, already done?

Maybe they misunderstood a memo that said that DC cinematic should copy Marvel cinematic or something.

I can only criticize from afar because I no longer buy monthly comics from either. But I've really been enjoying the Superman Rebirth hardcovers with my son, who absolutely loves Jonathan, and the now defunct SuperSons.
Old 07-31-18, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fujishig
I was under the impression that DC was doing a lot better than Marvel at the moment in terms of fans being happy with their comics output, but by all means go and copy the exact same things everybody criticizes Marvel for. Hey, I have an idea, how about a crossover event that is integral to the continuity of your universe being on endless delay? Oh, already done?

Maybe they misunderstood a memo that said that DC cinematic should copy Marvel cinematic or something.

I can only criticize from afar because I no longer buy monthly comics from either. But I've really been enjoying the Superman Rebirth hardcovers with my son, who absolutely loves Jonathan, and the now defunct SuperSons.
The pressure comes from the higher ups at WB who for some reason are just focused on market share and want to shake things up to take away some of Marvel's market. I really don't know why these changes are being made now, especially after customers have been extremely happy with the Rebirth output, with exception of the JL book and the Batman wedding. Maybe it's true that Geoff Johns being out of the company has led to Didio and Lee go back to New 52 shit or it is simply that sales aren't as good as they expected, but Rebirth has been a good injection to the industry.
Old 07-31-18, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Bendis was brought in for one reason to DC - attract regular Marvel readers that hadn't read DC in years. Supposedly DC gave Bendis a lot of cash and aren't seeing the bump in sales they expected from his Superman books. He's basically held serve in terms of sales from the Rebirth era.

And don't worry so much about SuperSons - I think DC understands there is a market for them. To assuage fans over Bendis and Superman's new status quo, they've given SuperSons an upcoming 12-issue mini-series set a year before current Superman events. It's basically DC's equivalent to Marvel's Renew Your Vows with Spider-Man's marriage.

What really needs to happen with Jonathan Kent is for the cartoon movies to use him and expose the character to a bigger potential audience.

I have the feeling that Jon Kent is going to be the foundation for the next Legion of Superheroes, whenever Johns gets around to them.
Old 07-31-18, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

I have the feeling that Jon Kent is going to be the foundation for the next Legion of Superheroes, whenever Johns gets around to them.
Ok, that would bring me back to monthly comics.

I'm such a sucker.
Old 08-01-18, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok, that would bring me back to monthly comics.

I'm such a sucker.
We have to wait out the end of Doomsday Clock, which is taking much longer than expected because Frank is getting slower and slower as an artist.
Old 08-09-18, 08:19 PM
Banned

Here we go again. DC goodwill flushed down the toilet

First, DC fired Matt Wagner's son

Matt Wagner Says His Son/Colorist Has Been Fired from Batman #54

Matt Wagner has shared some “distasteful news” with his community on Facebook. Wagner was recruited as a penciller for Tom King’s upcoming Batman #54 along with his son, colorist Brennan Wagner. Brennan Wagner had nearly wrapped up the project when Matt Wagner received word that his son’s art would not be used and that the coloring work would, instead, be done by one of DC Comics’ in-house artists.

According to Matt Wagner’s explanation of the situation on Facebook, DC’s “powers that be” had determined that Brennan Wagner’s work was too different from the series’ usual stylings. Matt Wagner said he received the news from Batman group editor Jamie S. Rich, who he claims “went to bat for” for the father-son team. Matt Wagner also revealed that Batman writer, Tom King, was a fan of how the issue looked.

RELATED: DC’s Pearl #1 to Reprint Bendis & Gaydos’ Citizen Wayne Batman Story

“Tom’s script is a heartfelt look at a father-and-son relationship and, rather than capitalize on the fact that they had a celebrated father-and-son art team on board for this issue… DC instead elected to fire the artist’s colorist/son for producing distinctive work,” wrote Matt Wagner. “Needless to say, I thought Brennan was doing a fantastic job and think this is a terribly shoddy way to treat not only him — this would’ve been his first full-length job for them — but also me, one of their longtime and supposedly respected creators. Regrettably, I’m now sorry I ever agreed to this gig in the first place… because this is just fucking bullshit.”

Matt and Brennan Wagner are together perhaps best known for their work on the Mage series, which was rebooted in 2017 as Mage: The Hero Denied. Much like how the duo collaborated on Batman #54, Matt Wagner works as the main penciller for Mage, while Brennan Wagner is the series’ main colorist. Matt Wagner is also the writer for Mage.

RELATED: Detective Comics Gives Gotham City’s Bat-Signal An Overhaul

Batman #54 is a deep dive into one of the hero’s most defining relationships — the father and son bond he shares with Dick Grayson, the original Robin. Dick went on to build his own superhero career as Nightwing, but the issue is slated to team up the two for the first time since Batman proposed to Catwoman. The issue looks to explore how their relationship has developed over time, and how Batman helped Dick overcome his grief over the loss of his biological parents.

A new colorist has not yet been announce for Batman #54.
I bet that Wagner will never work again at DC after this bullshit.

Second news:

DC Comics Reveals One of Six Fan-Favorite Characters Will Die in 'Heroes in Crisis'

Besides the death of a Flash that is almost certainly Wally West, Heroes in Crisis #1 will apparently kill off another fan-favorite character when the Tom King/Clay Mann series hits the stands this fall.

Heroes in Crisis centers on an attack on Sanctuary, a psychiatric facility serving the superhero community, which leaves a number of people dead and sends shockwaves through the superhero community, touching off a murder mystery in the vein of Brad Meltzer and Rags Morales's Identity Crisis.

GE Appliances at Best Buy
PAID CONTENT BY GE APPLIANCES AT BEST BUY
SKIP TO THE FINISH & SAVE
Find your favorite finish when you need it most. Save on select GE Appliances at Best Buy, now thru 8/22.

On the cover of the next DC Nation magazine, the publisher teases that "one of these six characters dies," along with an image showing Booster Gold, Harley Quinn, Arsenal, Red Robin (Tim Drake), Cyborg and Green Lantern Kyle Rayner.

DC Nation #4 hits the stands on Sept. 5, and teases that the death will take place in 21 days. A number of important DC books will be released on Sept. 26, but given the context the obvious answer becomes Heroes in Crisis #1.

The fatality is unlikely to be Booster or Harley, since DC has previously said that those two are the suspects in the attack, which lies at the heart of the story.

Given that Wally West is probably dying, betting against Roy Harper's death seems like a wise move, since gutting that generation of Titans all at once would be a strange move and likely very unpopular with fans. The same can be said for Cyborg, who was obviously a member of the Marv Wolfman/George Perez New Teen Titans generation — although he's also probably safe because of his status with the Justice League. Practical concerns might make it more difficult to get rid of Cyborg so soon after the League lost two characters of color and replaced them with one (the Green Lantern replacements).

COMMENTS
That leaves Tim Drake and Kyle Rayner. If we were to make a bet, we would likely say Kyle is the most likely fatality, since Tim just got back from the "dead" — he was kidnapped by Mr. Oz at the end of the first Detective Comics arc of the Rebirth era, and did not return until about six months ago — but the flipside of that argument is that being dead for a long time and back for a minute seemingly did not prevent DC from targeting Wally West for elimination. Kyle might also be a candidate because Grant Morrison is taking over the Green Lantern titles for what we are assuming will be a fairly significant reboot.

Heroes in Crisis #1 will be released on Sept. 26.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/08/...cters-will-die

I can think of a purpose to kill all the above characters except Red Arrow/Arsenal/Speedy:

Tim Drake and Harley - Killed by one of the 3 Jokers to lead into that series
Booster Gold - Killed by Dr Manhattan cause Booster knew something was off with the timeline and went to check it out and got to close to the answer
Cyborg - Killed by Martian Manhunter for taking his spot in the JL
Kyle Rayner - I think he's the second biggest candidate and it will tie back to the Tom King Omega Men series and the fact that lots of writers hate Kyle based on their love for Hal.
Old 08-09-18, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, they're killing (white) Wally West? What? Why? They really want to undo all of Rebirth. Screw DC.

How long until they do another "Death in the Family" stunt and you can vote for who you want offed.

Wait, when did Tim Drake become Robin again? That's totally his Robin costume, right?
Old 08-09-18, 08:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

Crappy news about Wagner. Matt is one of the greats, and for DC to treat him like that is just awful. And did you notice the top blurb of the new DC Nation? ‘How to color the DC way”. What timing!
Old 08-09-18, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know why 54 is news only cause Wagner made it news. Sometimes work gets thrown out and redone. It happens.
Old 08-09-18, 08:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stingermck
I don't know why 54 is news only cause Wagner made it news. Sometimes work gets thrown out and redone. It happens.
But yeah, it was how it was done and the fact that the story is about father/son relationship and issue #54 had Wagner father and son teaming up for the first time in DC Comics.
Old 08-09-18, 08:56 PM
Banned

By the way, Matt has more about what happened and how DC has backpedaled, but the powers that be are fucking idiots for asking someone to change the style to fit the regular colorist work. Like Matt said, it would be akin to these idiots expecting his work to look like Lee Weeks because he's the regular artist in the book.

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fmatt.wagner.3158652%2Fposts%2F2272540596312584&width=500" width="500" height="708" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fmatt.wagner.3158652%2Fposts%2F2273468919553085&width=500" width="500" height="708" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowTransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>
Old 08-14-18, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wait, they're killing (white) Wally West? What? Why? They really want to undo all of Rebirth. Screw DC.

How long until they do another "Death in the Family" stunt and you can vote for who you want offed.

Wait, when did Tim Drake become Robin again? That's totally his Robin costume, right?
Heavy spoiler for Heroes In Crisis, so read at your own peril...

Spoiler:
The latest speculation indicates that Wally is actually the killer by accidentally killing Roy Harper. Wally then becomes a member of the Suicide Squad.

That may be Tim Drake from the future, who has become the Batfamily's version of Cyborg Superman.
Old 08-14-18, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Heavy spoiler for Heroes In Crisis, so read at your own peril...

Spoiler:
The latest speculation indicates that Wally is actually the killer by accidentally killing Roy Harper. Wally then becomes a member of the Suicide Squad.

That may be Tim Drake from the future, who has become the Batfamily's version of Cyborg Superman.
I'm not even sure how to parse anything you just typed. I should probably stay far, far away for now.
Old 08-16-18, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm not even sure how to parse anything you just typed. I should probably stay far, far away for now.
DC has been trying of late to turn an adult Tim Drake from a future alternate reality into an uber-villain causing havoc. He's kind of a riff on the Batman from Kingdom Come's future.
Old 09-21-18, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Oops, I saw the title and I thought this was a thread about Batman's weenie.

BTW, get yer Batman Damned while you can. The price has been shooting up on that like crazy.
Old 09-24-18, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Oops, I saw the title and I thought this was a thread about Batman's weenie.

BTW, get yer Batman Damned while you can. The price has been shooting up on that like crazy.
It has been confirmed that Batman's penis won't appear in future reprints.

It's going to end up being a very expensive back issue.

Speaking of Batman's aborted wedding, DC actually went ahead and published a Wedding Album trade of the Catwoman fiasco. I have no idea who would buy it.
Old 09-24-18, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It has been confirmed that Batman's penis won't appear in future reprints.

It's going to end up being a very expensive back issue.

Speaking of Batman's aborted wedding, DC actually went ahead and published a Wedding Album trade of the Catwoman fiasco. I have no idea who would buy it.
Again, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, and it's starting to concern me...
Old 09-24-18, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Again, I have no idea what you guys are talking about, and it's starting to concern me...

https://batmansdick.neocities.org/
Old 09-24-18, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Didn’t know about that until now. I didn’t need to see that..
Old 09-24-18, 06:11 PM
Banned

The most ridiculous thing about this is that DC has decided to censor this on their digital version and on future reprints and trades. Then why have the book as the launching pad for their new mature designer Black line? They also refused to release the uncensored version of White Knight, a series that they are now retroactively making part of the Black line. Either you take the risk or you don't. WB is a fucking mess.
Old 09-24-18, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have no idea what the plot is in that issue but that seems super gratuitous. And of course it's a collector's item now. First appearance of Batman's wang. Comics were a mistake. This whole thread has convinced me of that. Call me when Bendis is off of Superman and he has a family again.
Old 09-24-18, 06:37 PM

Received 1,832 Likes on 1,091 Posts

First appearance of Batman's wang.
Bruce Wang.
Old 09-24-18, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

If they’re showing Batman’s ding-dong, it's only fair that Wonder Woman’s hoo-ha gets some airtime in a future “Black” series.

Paging Frank Cho...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.