Reload this Page >

Biggest Batman News in Decades

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Biggest Batman News in Decades

Old 06-08-17, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 802 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: Biggest Batman News in Decades

Who is going to be the Best man at Batman's wedding? Superman, Dick Grayson or Damian?

It's better Bruce marries Catwoman now, because if you wait another couple of years some warped writer will have him dating Harley. I fear elements from the Injustice comics start leaking into the main DC universe.
Old 06-08-17, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,918 Likes on 1,484 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Who is going to be the Best man at Batman's wedding? Superman, Dick Grayson or Damian?

It's better Bruce marries Catwoman now, because if you wait another couple of years some warped writer will have him dating Harley. I fear elements from the Injustice comics start leaking into the main DC universe.
Like Batman would have a huge wedding.

Funny, playing Injustice 2 so much that I'm starting to forget that Wonder Woman isn't just completely evil and war like.
Old 06-11-17, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

This seems like a weird decision. What are the writers going to do when they lose the unresolved sexual tension as a storytelling tool? Replace it with marital discord or a bitter divorce?

Nobody wants to read comics about happy, well-adjusted people. That's why Archie comics went darker and grittier.
Old 06-11-17, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
This seems like a weird decision. What are the writers going to do when they lose the unresolved sexual tension as a storytelling tool? Replace it with marital discord or a bitter divorce?

Nobody wants to read comics about happy, well-adjusted people. That's why Archie comics went darker and grittier.
Batman marries Catwoman. A couple of years soon after, Two-Face and the Joker discover this relationship. They team up to torture her. She gets murdered while pregnant with Batman's daughter. Does this push Bruce to finally kill the Joker? The final twist being that Damian was the person ultimately responsible for revealing Batman's marriage to the villains.

You could explore the marriage for 10-20 years of comics before running out of new Batman developments. There are so many possibilities unexplored in Bat continuity that the writer that gets to write it may have a lasting impact on the character.
Old 06-11-17, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

If one of DC's longest-running female characters gets fridged as a result of marrying Batman, DC can say goodbye to any goodwill the Wonder Woman movie just bought them.
Old 06-11-17, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
If one of DC's longest-running female characters gets fridged as a result of marrying Batman, DC can say goodbye to any goodwill the Wonder Woman movie just bought them.
Maybe the Joker won't kill her, but do spmething that will cause Selina to end up in a wheelchair and become the new Oracle, and they get a new Catwoman who will be a straight-up villain.

I'm only half serious...
Old 06-12-17, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

You could explore the marriage for 10-20 years of comics before running out of new Batman developments. There are so many possibilities unexplored in Bat continuity that the writer that gets to write it may have a lasting impact on the character.
King wanted to lean away from the character's usual anger, and surprise fans with a new level of vulnerability.

“Everyone’s done vengeance, everyone’s done ‘The night is so dark,’ ” King says. “Giving Batman more pain doesn’t reveal anything about his character because he’s taken as much pain as he can. But giving him love and joy, that combines with the tragedy of his past into something new and never done before.”
Indeed Phantom. King bought himself a lifetime pass with me on his Vision book. I dont see him going the cheap route of killing her. This is uncharted territory for the character and I cant wait to see where it goes.

And just because Selina gets married would not make her a less stronger character. She has been hanging with the big guns since day 1. Its not an automatic death sentence.
Old 06-12-17, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll agree that King can do no wrong at this point, but it's always a worry about subsequent writers and especially editors when they need to spruce up sales down the line. But that's the nature of the business. Thankfully they've gotten enough flak for it in the past that I doubt they'll truly downplay Selina into yet more motivation for Bruce anytime soon. But I don't see a "happy" Batman lasting through years of editorial interference either.
Old 06-12-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nothing is permanent anymore in comics. I think the ultimate endgame could be Selina's death, possibly years down the line. DC would let the marriage play out before offing her.

If Barry Allen can be written out of the DC universe for 20-some years, so can other characters.

This Rebirth thing is working out well for DC, but who knows in 5 years?

The big question for me is if Superman exposes his secret identity to Selina. DC has gotten awfully casual with secret identities, with every two-bit Justice League member knowing all about Lois and his Clark Kent ID.

Pretty much everyone in the Batfamily knows about Superman and his situation with Lois.
Old 06-12-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Secret ID's are so silver age.

All this talk of Selena is going to die

Like thats the only way out if editorial wants to make a change later. They could just split up.
Old 06-12-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does Superman even have a secret identity anymore? I thought he and Lois were like alternate versions and thus out of the spotlight? Isn't there another Clark Kent running around or something?

Obviously I'm not in the bat family because I have no idea.

I'm not sure they would let Batman get a divorce (if the wedding actually goes through). Sadly in the superhero world it's much more likely one of them dies or reality gets altered. It's not unprecedented, just unlikely. (They had to demonize Hank Pym before that divorce, and his character has perhaps only just recovered. Similarly Quicksilver is a jerk. Jean Loring was apparently an insane murderer. And I think Green Arrow and Black Canary got a divorce pre new 52. But otherwise yeah, Spidey and Mary Jane, Vision and Scarlet Witch, Human Torch and Alicia, Hawkeye and Mockingbird, Clark and Lois the first time, etc., all convoluted ways to end the relationship)
Old 06-12-17, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 371 Likes on 265 Posts

It seems like divorce could present a more interesting take. It could put Bruce and Selina on adversarial terms again, and could make her a very wealthy foe if she gets part of the Wayne fortune.
Old 06-12-17, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Secret ID's are so silver age.

All this talk of Selena is going to die

Like thats the only way out if editorial wants to make a change later. They could just split up.
I don't think anyone is saying that's the only way out, but I don't think there's much money in happy family man Batman. I think people just naturally jump to assume she will die, because Batman and tragedy go together like peanut butter and jelly.
Old 06-12-17, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Isn't Catwoman still a criminal? I don't think someone like Batman would be dumb enough to marry her. Yeah, if she reformed and became a hero like in the Earth 1 version, it would make sense. But that version was more so they could focus on the next generation of heroes like Infinity Inc, Power Girl, and Huntress, all legacy heroes.

They split up Superman and Lois because it got boring, and Joe Quesada undid Spider-man and MJ's marriage.
Sales must really be bad for DC to pull this stunt.

Rachel Caspian or Silver St. Cloud makes more sense.
Old 06-13-17, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie
Isn't Catwoman still a criminal? I don't think someone like Batman would be dumb enough to marry her. Yeah, if she reformed and became a hero like in the Earth 1 version, it would make sense. But that version was more so they could focus on the next generation of heroes like Infinity Inc, Power Girl, and Huntress, all legacy heroes.

They split up Superman and Lois because it got boring, and Joe Quesada undid Spider-man and MJ's marriage.
Sales must really be bad for DC to pull this stunt.

Rachel Caspian or Silver St. Cloud makes more sense.
DC Sales are through the roof actually.

Catwoman has been more or less reformed since Brubakers run that started in 2002.
Old 06-13-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,453 Likes on 925 Posts

If they really wanted take it seriously, it could be interesting. Bruce has some serious issues with emotional connections. He has serious issues with trust. Selina would be aware of all that, and choose to marry him anyway. I don't know what her issues are (the last time I saw her, she was a dominatrix), but I'm sure she's just as much as a mess.

But the story of two emotionally damaged people learning to let someone inside their walls sounds like a French movie, not a monthly superhero comic. I don't see much of a future in it.
Old 06-13-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I kinda wanted Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon to get together first. But then I remembered what happened in Batman Beyond.
Old 06-13-17, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

This kind of kills the nature of their relationship though. The reason why it's interesting to readers is because she's on one side of the law, he's on the other.

I'm kind of glad to hear that DC comic sales are doing well though.

From that spoiler
Spoiler:
it seems kind of forced that Bruce would propose to Selina out in the open, when their both in their costumes...but it makes for a great image to distribute to news sites.
Old 06-13-17, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Does Superman even have a secret identity anymore? I thought he and Lois were like alternate versions and thus out of the spotlight? Isn't there another Clark Kent running around or something?

Obviously I'm not in the bat family because I have no idea.

I'm not sure they would let Batman get a divorce (if the wedding actually goes through). Sadly in the superhero world it's much more likely one of them dies or reality gets altered. It's not unprecedented, just unlikely. (They had to demonize Hank Pym before that divorce, and his character has perhaps only just recovered. Similarly Quicksilver is a jerk. Jean Loring was apparently an insane murderer. And I think Green Arrow and Black Canary got a divorce pre new 52. But otherwise yeah, Spidey and Mary Jane, Vision and Scarlet Witch, Human Torch and Alicia, Hawkeye and Mockingbird, Clark and Lois the first time, etc., all convoluted ways to end the relationship)
Batman will make a deal with the devil to annul the marriage and make everyone forget it ever happened.
Old 10-03-17, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Selina's answer is finally revealed months later.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/...ers/721024001/
Old 10-03-17, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Batman 800 and Detective Comics #1000 are coming up in the next two years.
That's welcome news. When did they undo that idiotic decision to renumber everything to number 1?
Old 10-03-17, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm pretty sure only Action and Detective went back to legacy numbering (and also went bi-weekly) when rebirth happened. The rest will acknowledge the legacy milestones but keep the current numbering:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/07...acy-numbering/

It's not necessarily idiotic when you look at the convoluted process Marvel is going through to try to get to milestone issues. Venom, for instance.

Last edited by fujishig; 10-03-17 at 10:25 AM.
Old 10-03-17, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Action and Detective are the only ones that went back to original numbering.
Old 10-03-17, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
Action and Detective are the only ones that went back to original numbering.
Ah, right, that's what I meant, editing...
Old 10-03-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There will be a new status quo for Superman after Action Comics #1000, which is coming fairly soon.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/08...azon-superman/

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.