Reload this Page >

Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: caligulathegod
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

The following have unknown expiration -- these are old coupon that has been active online for months Please let me know if it's active
15% Off One Item A
15% Off B
15% Off C

ONLINE CODES
25% off single item
None

20% Off Online Single Item
UM2JEPTJDFNG4 - exp 6/19 2:59am ET

15% off One Item Online -- All Customers -- re-usable online. Unknown Expiration
9DAWJ1Z88Z134
NKMMWDZJXAE73
VP5ZZ6QN15VUU
UKTSTGZRDURTL
SLDJ4YKZSZKPA
SQ63RKJ3FTF48
N1BBG1DNGW6AF
3DFK58XQZ9AC4
9FBB4LT8D32KS
CN2QAS5VJSQ54
DEXWXAT2199K1
EASTWGZS8XJP4
QR59YQMGEANX8

MOREISMORE
10% off $35 or more, 15% off $60 or more
valid from May 15, 2017 at 12:01am to May 18, 2017 at 2:59am Eastern Time

"New Member" Welcome Coupons ONLINE ONLY EXPIRES February 27, 2016 2:59am ET
Looking for a new member who got these via Joining Email

"New Member" Printable In-Store Member Only Coupons Expires end of business February 26, 2017
Print Wikipost

Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-17, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Eighth Annual Historical Films Challenge June 1-30 2017

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I was browsing Crunchyroll, and saw that The Rose Of Versailles was on there, so I decided to sample the first episode. I have to say I was impressed, and I could see myself watching more episodes of that series, as I enjoyed it.
That's a great series. I finished watching it last year during either the Historical Challenge or the Animation Challenge. Thanks to this series I went on a tour of Versailles during my trip to Paris.

Old 06-06-17, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
That's a great series. I finished watching it last year during either the Historical Challenge or the Animation Challenge. Thanks to this series I went on a tour of Versailles during my trip to Paris.

I agree with you from what I've seen so far. I've gotten 4 or 5 episodes in so far, and every episode just seems to draw me in even more, with all of the court intrigue between Marie Antoinette, and Madame Du Barry.
Old 06-06-17, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I finished WWII in HD. Telling the story of WWII in 10 short (~44 min) segments just doesn't work well. It's like the Reader's Digest condensation of the Reader's Digest story of WWII (a double condensation). The series *does* have some interesting footage and it's nice to see color footage. It just wasn't well produced.

I then watched the "Bonus Features" of "Finding the Footage" and "Preserving the Footage." I was slightly horrified at the "preservation" techniques they showed. Cleaning the film consisted of someone running the film between layers of a saturated cloth held between fingers! To capture the film it was *projected* on a screen with a 2K camera simply pointed at that screen! I'm no preservationist but from what I *do* know that's not a proper way to clean or capture such images. That the film looks as good as it does is simply amazing considering those techniques.

The bonus video profiling the living participants was the best part of the production. This was a ~15 piece with around 3 minutes each of the gentlemen who told their stories for the main production. In this one you got to hear them speak fully - no voice actor taking their place. Very interesting stuff with information that wasn't included in the main program. They still had that annoying, generic, History Channel soundtrack stuff under their voices but it was mostly easily ignored.
Old 06-06-17, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pacaway
Watched Ron Howard's The Beatles: Eight Days a Week - The Touring Years. Man, you think you know everything there is to know about the Beatles but this one shows that you never can! Stood up against segregation, toured until they were ready to drop, and made amazing music in between. Great doc!
While I greatly enjoyed the documentary, I got nothing new from it, but I grew up during those years and saw it all first hand. It's a very good overall view of their early career as a group for us "old timers" and serves as a good primer for people just getting started with the group. IMHO it's one of the best productions Howard has done. I want my oldest granddaughter (age 10) to see it as she's recently become interested in The Beatles and has fallen in love with their music.

If you've never seen Anthology you should seek it out and give it a viewing. It goes deeper into what was happening during each phase of their years together. It's a excellent mini-series.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 06-06-17 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-06-17, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
If you've never seen Anthology you should seek it out and give it a viewing. It goes deeper into what was happening during each phase of their years together. It's a excellent mini-series.
Might have to add that to my docket for this month
Old 06-06-17, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Got to get in The Longest Day today, on the 6th. Might be the first time ever.
Usually work gets in the way. But I was able to have off by chance today.
So I put it to good use.
Old 06-06-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Just saw Wonder Woman, and it qualifies!

Which version? There's one from 1939 which features The Ritz Brothers and tries to be more comedy than action/adventure. It fails simply because The Ritz Brothers just aren't that funny, at least not in that film.
Originally Posted by shadokitty
The 1993 version, with Tim Curry as Cardinal Richilieu. Maybe they figured it as comedy because of one liners between the Musketeers, I don't know.
The 1970s Richard Lester movies would probably qualify as comedy-adventure as well.

The one from 2011 is ridiculous but has some entertainment value. I might try to slip it in this month.
Old 06-06-17, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
The 1970s Richard Lester movies would probably qualify as comedy-adventure as well.

The one from 2011 is ridiculous but has some entertainment value. I might try to slip it in this month.
All of them that I've seen do to some extent. Even my favorite - the 1948 version with Gene Kelly.

I'm a sucker for that story and have a copy of just about every filmed version available... but not that 2011 one (or the Disney w/Mickey Mouse for that matter). I've had a copy of the 2011 in my Amazon cart for some time but just haven't pulled the trigger.

I have a copy of the recent TV series - a complete blind buy - now would be a good time to get it out and give it a screening...
Old 06-06-17, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

The BBC series is good. I've seen a few episodes and have been meaning to watch more.
Old 06-07-17, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While watching The Twilight Zone, on MeTV tonight, I found another episode that counts for this Challenge, 'The Odyssey Of Flight 33'. It's about an airliner that gets caught in a jet stream, and ends up in the past, and the crew tries to get back to their own time.
Old 06-07-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

All of them that I've seen do to some extent. Even my favorite - the 1948 version with Gene Kelly.

I'm a sucker for that story and have a copy of just about every filmed version available... but not that 2011 one (or the Disney w/Mickey Mouse for that matter). I've had a copy of the 2011 in my Amazon cart for some time but just haven't pulled the trigger.

I have a copy of the recent TV series - a complete blind buy - now would be a good time to get it out and give it a screening...
I have yet to see a Musketeer movie I really like. The 2011 one is awful. Not a fan of the 1948 one at all, it's like two different movies awkwardly edited together--a Gene Kelly swashbuckler and a Lana Turner costume melodrama. I remember kind of liking the 1935 version with Walter Abel as D'artagnan. THE MAN IN THE IRON MASK (1939) was pretty good and had Alan Hale as Porthos. The best version I've seen is AT SWORD'S POINT (1952) with the sons--and daughter--of D'artagnan and the Musketeers, with Cornel Wilde and Maureen O'Hara starring and Alan Hale Jr. playing Porthos Jr. Wilde and Hale Jr. would reunite--as D'artagnan and Porthos--in THE FIFTH MUSKETEER (1979). So Alan Hale and Hale Jr. played father and son in different movies and the same role in different movies. Any other parent-and-child actors ever do that?
Old 06-07-17, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
Gave Parkland a first-time watch this morning. Thought it was well done, giving a new perspective (to me) on the JFK assassination.
Watched it as well. Really was a few uncovered angles, at least for me. Very interesting.
Old 06-07-17, 07:02 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Broke open my twilight time Blu Ray of The Boston Strangler tonight. I don't recall ever watching it
Old 06-09-17, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
Broke open my twilight time Blu Ray of The Boston Strangler tonight. I don't recall ever watching it
Any good?
Old 06-09-17, 06:47 AM

The Boston Strangler was awesome. Innovative for its time. I did a full video review on my youtube channel.

Old 06-09-17, 08:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

so if 'Wonder Woman' qualifies can 'The Iron Giant' as well? since it's set in 1957, revolves around Sputnik and the threat/fear of a 1950's nuclear war scare?
Old 06-09-17, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

If you want to watch it, go ahead. Might as well make this more interesting. I'm about to watch Excalibur.
Old 06-09-17, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

If anyone is looking for a film to see in the theater, I'll recommend Megan Leavey. It was a good film, one that animal lovers will especially enjoy.
Old 06-10-17, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bargain bins at Wal-Mart can be gold mines if one takes the time to look. I was at Wal-Mart a few days ago and picked up a few movies in the bargain bin. I just finished one of them, Big Miracle. As an animal lover, I loved the movie, as it was a true story, about the effort to free the gray whales in Alaska that were trapped by the ice back in the late 80s or early 90s. I forget exactly when it happened, but I do remember that being all over the news.
Old 06-10-17, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been watching some of my more recent purchases. A couple of days ago I finished the BBC mini-series The Nazis: A Warning from History. It is very well done and I learned a few new things. This one strictly focuses on the rise and fall of the Nazi party and features interviews with still living participants. It's obvious that many of them still feel the way they did in WWII but just as many showed remorse at what they'd allowed to be done. My grandson has shown an interest in the war and I want him to see this one first as it gives perspective that's missing from other presentations. In a way it presents many of the participants in a more sympathetic light without negating the horrors inflicted by Hitler and his followers illustrating how easy it is for a people to simply follow their leaders without speaking out against observed wrongs.
Old 06-10-17, 05:31 PM

I've been watching some of my more recent purchases. A couple of days ago I finished the BBC mini-series The Nazis: A Warning from History.
Me too. I enjoyed it. I was shocked at how unrepentant many of the german's were. I really liked the pre-rise to power part 1 since that is not as extensively covered as the war years
Old 06-10-17, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
Me too. I enjoyed it. I was shocked at how unrepentant many of the german's were. I really liked the pre-rise to power part 1 since that is not as extensively covered as the war years
The ones who showed pride at having been a Nazi caught me off guard. You could see in the faces of many that they still hate the Jewish people and feel that what the Nazis did was not wrong. Even with an interviewer trying to get them to show at least a glimmer of remorse.

It also shows how easily properly presented propaganda can influence a nation's peoples and get them to do things they otherwise might not.

I was also surprised at just how few Gestapo agents there were. It was significantly less than I'd imagined. That they maintained control by making everyone an informant was telling as to the power they wielded.
Old 06-10-17, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched the Japanese edit of Tora! Tora! Tora!. Until today I didn't know such a thing existed. I recently purchased a BR upgrade and watched it today. When I put the disc in, up pops a menu with choices of "Theatrical" or "Japanese edit" versions so I watch the Japanese edit. From what I read about this cut there are only a couple of scenes added with little else changed. It runs ~4 minutes longer than the theatrical cut. One scene I noticed without having to read about it - a couple of Japanese cooks discussing the International Date Line in a somewhat comedic manner. It's still my favorite film about the bombing of Pear Harbor.

I also watched my new BR upgrade of The Longest Day. Some of the early rear screen stuff still annoys me but it gets less frequent use as the film progresses. It's another favorite.

Watching both of those back-to-back, it struck me as how some of the mistakes the US leaders made in the days leading up to the attack on Pearl Harbor were similar to those made by the Germans in the days lading up to D-Day. I'd never noticed that before.
Old 06-10-17, 09:20 PM

I just watched the Japanese edit of Tora! Tora! Tora!.

watched this one too for this challenge. make sure you listen to the commentary track. well worth your time.
Old 06-11-17, 12:26 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

question: 'Zeitgeist Wild Cards' don't have to apply to video/film based content - right? I just saw 'Anastasia' on Broadway and am thinking of including it as a wild card.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.