Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Playerunknown's Battlegrounds

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-17, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Playerunknown's Battlegrounds

Originally Posted by Rival11
I watched a long game play video on this - don't think I would be able to get into it - I do love the non-invincible feel to it and how threatened you feel but overall it just doesn't look all that exciting to me.
I thought the same, that I wouldn't be able to get into it, too old for this. But I'm having fun. First, if you like COD, or Overwatch, or those kind of shooters, this is not that kind of game.

I mean, yes, you can try to kill as many people as you want, but you won't survive too much. I like to play it as a survival game, so yeah, hiding helps a lot. People are getting cars too, so they can last more in the game.

Yesterday, I had one interesting game. I was #8. The game started and I landed in a crowded area, that it seems more people chose too. I went to a house, and it was already picked up, think I only found a 9 mm. I tried to go to another house, and they started shooting at me, I ran away and I lose half my health. I thought I wouldn't last too much. Somehow, with only one gun, no meds, I was able to reach the top 10. I was sneaking most of the time, and in the final circle there was one guy with a car. When I was going through the ground I found a corpse! I looted him, got one med kit that replenish my health, one rifle, etc. I was ready for the final battle! Then playing zone was restricted again and I couldn't run fast enough and died! LOL!
Old 12-18-17, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh boy, did I have an interesting time with this one over the weekend. This is easily the roughest state I've seen a game in this generation. I've heard this game in janky (and that's some of it's charm), but I would call it downright broken in the state it's in currently. My frustration really peaked when I was in the final 10 and my controller randomly disconnected and I was shot while my truck hit a tree. I even swapped controllers thinking it might have been a battery issue, but nope, happened to me again a couple games later. It's also unacceptable to parachute to the ground and have to wait 10 to 15 seconds for the houses to populate in. When you first drop to the ground, all of the houses look like melted wax and you have to clip though them to enter. And I won't even start on the frame rate issues.

I think it has potential to be a cool survival type game but it's not even close to where it needs to be. Even as a game that is a work in progress, it should have never been released in this state. I get that this is the major holiday release for the Xbox, but it's making it look that much worse when your brand new console is running a game that has the frame rate dipping in the teens.
Old 12-20-17, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been number 2 three times now.

I read that if you disable the game DVR functionality your game should perform better. I haven't had any serious issues though, and I'm in release date, first generation, Xbox One. And I play from an external drive.
Old 12-22-17, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw a patch come through yesterday and played for a bit. They did a decent job of cleaning up the pop ins while landing. But the framerate seems to have gotten worse in some situations now. I was also feeling pretty good in a match yesterday. Was in the final 10, just driving around the circle in a Jeep and then BAM, game crashed and back to the title screen. So I think I'm going to table this for a bit until they work out some more issues.
Old 12-22-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

I played 4 games on the PC after the update. The new map is crazy
Old 12-22-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If the game crashes back to the title screen, after you continue, it tells you that the session is still on, if you want to continue. If you haven't died yet in the game, you can login back. I like that "feature".

Yesterday, I land and go into a big house, check one room, found some gloves, and look at one space I haven't seen before in any house, like there is ground there, instead of regular floor. I go to check it, and when they want to return they appear. The stairs. So now I'm trapped under the stairs! LOL! No one checked that house. But it was part of the main action. So I survived there until the last 28. And yeah, I died when I was out of the playing zone.
Old 01-06-18, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

So I got this with Xbox One X. Man am i terrible. Haven't killed anyone in several matches.

I will say, it looks like absolute shit on Xbox One X. Not impressed with the visuals at all.
Old 01-06-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

It's just not a great looking game, imo. Fun, sure, but the graphics aren't selling anybody.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-06-18 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-09-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I cant imagine having to aim with a joystick; its difficult enough with a mouse
Old 01-11-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is not a game about killing other players. It's more about surviving until the end. And that means avoiding players as much as possible.

I mean, like most games, you can play it as different as you want, but you won't survive too much.
Also, there is luck involved. Example: you choose one big house as your landing spot, there are a lot of guns and ammo there, and that ends up being close to the final spot. You can spend most of the match there, until the last 20 or so. I've read of people hidden in the bathroom with a shotgun just waiting for someone to enter, doing that for more than 20 mins.

In most of my matches I don't kill anyone. If I'm lucky I kill one person. But there was this match were I didn't chose "wisely" my landing spot. Yeah, it a couple of houses, found a powerful shotgun immediately, but then people started coming. I killed 3 people in that house in less than 10 minutes. I think I wasn't even top 10 in that game, and I died because I was out of the safe zone! LOL!
Old 01-11-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, I haven't had any crash with the latest update. Xbox One OG with no DVR.
Old 01-11-18, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

usually when i play solo on the PC, i try and land on one of the big roads off the flight path a bit, i find a car (eventually get a non-side car motorcycle) and then go to one of the towns far from the flight path; usually one in the circle. If a crate falls in that area, i usually try and get it since early on, if the circle is mostly out of the flight path, there wont be many people around. It gives me time to loot and then i can set up myself on the less populated side of the circle.
if you land and loot right away, then if the circle is far, you have to run around looking for a car at the same time as everyone else.
Old 01-14-18, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk God

I've still yet to kill anyone in this game. It's frustrating as fuck.

I had a good game today. Landed around nobody. Found a fuckton of weapons/upgrades/armor. Nobody to use it on. Made it through 2 or 3 shrink downs of the map. I'm creeping toward new area, in grass. No way anyone could see me. All of the sudden I heard a vehicle in the distance, squashes me flat. No way he could have seen me, yet he did because he went off road to hit me. Made it to #24 which is my best, but still shitty. I am glad I didn't pay for this game, because I probably would've been pissed had I done so. Just not my cup of tea.
Old 01-15-18, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was finally able to play some squad matches with three other friends over the weekend. A lot more talking and it changes the game a lot. Shifts it from a quiet game where you are constantly listening for noises around you while feeling paranoid, to seeing all the dumb shit you can come up with four people riding around in trucks, being loud, and not really caring how far you get in the match . I can't remember another game that shifted tones more than this one depending on how you decide to play. Still fun though. And I got my personal best with eight kills in one match.
Old 01-25-18, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk God

30k battle points for anyone who "purchased" game and has account before Jan 31st. Points will start to show up on Feb 1st: https://majornelson.com/2018/01/25/c...s-on-xbox-one/

Basically for cosmetic shit.

Last edited by Deftones; 01-25-18 at 07:24 PM.
Old 01-26-18, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

whoo hoo!?

Oh well... I like cosmetic shit
Old 01-26-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

on the PC you can at least use the BPs to buy the crates and then sell them on the steam marketplace. The new biker crates were bringing in about a buck each last time i sold them.
Old 11-09-18, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon briefly had the PS4 release date listed for December 8th before they pulled it. So it looks like the Xbox exclusive agreement is ending soon.
Old 11-09-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Supposedly someone found it in the files for the PSN store or something like that also, so it could be happening. Game is trash on console, though.
Old 11-09-18, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Supposedly someone found it in the files for the PSN store or something like that also, so it could be happening. Game is trash on console, though.
Yeah I just grabbed the free copy from Xbox live and man was it crap; the framerate blows so it’s even harder to kill.

PC is the way to play this, they just need to fix the region lobby issues to stop the high latency guys.
Old 11-13-18, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Officially announced for PS4. Coming 12/7.

Old 11-13-18, 10:14 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Finally PS4 owners can pay to play the same type of game they have played for free for 2 years!
Old 11-13-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Come on now, Fortnight Battle Royal didn't come out until September last year, so it's been just over a year. And I'm sure I'm in the minority here but I have zero interest in Fortnight and I think Battlegrounds does it better (even though it still runs like shit at times)