Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
10.00%
32.00%
38.00%
9.00%
9.00%
1.00%
0%
0%
1.00%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 05-05-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Just got back, and I loved it. Don't know what the critics were expecting for them to consider this "underwhelming," but I thought it was a hell of a lot of fun and better than the first in a lot of ways.
Old 05-05-17, 08:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

anyone see in Real 3D? if so, how was it?
Old 05-05-17, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I was one of the few people that didn't think the first movie was that amazing, although I enjoyed it more watching it a second and third time. I absolutely loved this one much better from the get go. Maybe it panders a little too much to the things people liked the first time like Baby Groot and the humor from Drax, but it all worked for me. Not only was it funnier, it hit on way more emotional notes at the end then the first one too.

A bit of a drag in the middle, especially as the characters get split up, and I could have done without two former "villains" getting sob story redemptions, but overall I thought it was fantastic.
Old 05-05-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

I should have added that I did hear some people in the audience sniffle at the end.

There was a lot of spots in the film that touched upon the father/son dynamic and I think that may have hit some folks' buttons. It had a lot of heart. I also enjoyed Sylvester Stallone's character. I'm hoping he'll come back as a more active character.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 05-05-17 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-05-17, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Oh, and cool shit showing The Watcher in that Stan Lee cameo. They're knocking these Cosmic Beings out of the park. We just need to see a couple more and we're set.
Old 05-05-17, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

Maybe I'm the only one who feels like Stallone was utterly wasted. I've got doubts a spinoff movie with him and the characters at the end will ever even get made.
Old 05-05-17, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Just got back. It was fine. Good, not great. Definitely felt forced; the humor, action and pathos were all just a bit too heavy-handed.

Also, I thought the scope of it would be bigger, but it felt kinda small.
Old 05-05-17, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Maybe I'm the only one who feels like Stallone was utterly wasted. I've got doubts a spinoff movie with him and the characters at the end will ever even get made.
Is there a spinoff movie rumored? I know they had some big actors cameo-ing there, but I'm not sure how a spinoff would make sense given that those characters are a different lineup of the Guardians of the Galaxy in the comics. I thought that was just throwaway fan service...
Old 05-06-17, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

It was fine. Good, not great. Definitely felt forced; the humor, action and pathos were all just a bit too heavy-handed.

Agree.
For me until second viewing.
GOTG 10/10
GOTG vol2 6/10
Old 05-06-17, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

I thought this was lousy. the pedestrian script. the over saturation of cgi. The lifeless young Kurt Russell rendering. The forced humour and hokey sentimentality. The The 136 post credit scenes (advertisements). It was predictable from beginning to end. There were a few decents moments, but overall it was just as bad as all the other MCU films.

2.5/5
Old 05-06-17, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Monday for me. Can't wait to have fun at a movie again...
I notice you always see these movies the Monday after they release. You got a job that makes you work night shift on weekends or something? Just curious.

Caught this last night. Upon reflection, I admire the direction they took for the second installment. Rather than going bigger and louder with the action, they chose to make a character based movie. Kudos for going outside of the box of sequel mindset. Gunn definitely upped the laugh quotient this time around, almost to the point where it seemed inappropriate. ( I personally found the Hasselhoff cameo misplaced given the serious nature of what was happening at the time.) Only major gripe is that this didn't do much to progress the overall MCU with the year countdown to the big finale of Infinity War starting. Maybe Spider-Man will do something in that regard, but I felt this was the better stage upon which to do it.
Old 05-06-17, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

Also, once again the MCU has made a movie that may not be perfect but at least has some likable characters and focuses on being entertaining first and foremost. It wasn't the dark and dreary stuff the DCCU is going for and failing miserably.
Old 05-06-17, 11:24 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 888 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
I notice you always see these movies the Monday after they release. You got a job that makes you work night shift on weekends or something? Just curious.
no, just like to wait till opening weekend crowd dies down and Monday night not too much activity...
Old 05-06-17, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

It's been asked a few times but I'm not seeing any feedback ...

Is it worth seeing this in 3D or do you recommend sticking with 2D?
Old 05-06-17, 02:42 PM

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,089 Posts

I really liked it. I like that it was different than the first one and the relationships were in new places and that relationships was the impetus for why things happened and why things were resolved. It was funnier than the last one, or at least had more intentionally funny moments. The stakes were raised, too, and not just in terms of peril but emotion, too.

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Going with reserved seating or getting there extra early so you can sit together. Hopefully you are doing the "first one there save 15 seats for everyone."
It was reserved seating. Parents and teens, I was a chaperone (my kids werent' there). I organized the tickets and handed them out based on who wanted to sit by each other. One young woman just couldn't grasp the concept of reserved seats. She said they're not going to check where we sit, I said we have these specific seats. She said can't we just sit where we want in the row, I said certain people want to sit by each other. But she's never had reserved seats at this theater before. Yes, well, we have them today, though. Just couldn't get it! This went on for about two minutes before she finally understood that her ticket said her specific seat so she would sit in it. She truly seemed to have grasped the concept and was even excited about it. Later, I'm the last one in, making sure everyone gets in okay, guess who's in my seat? I tried to explain but the previews were extra loud and I thought, "...Whatever." She's one of those brilliant-but-clueless kids.

Originally Posted by OldBoy
anyone see in Real 3D? if so, how was it?
We saw it in IMAX 3D (which was $11.50 instead of $16.50 for 2D, weird!) and I thought it was some of the best 3D I had seen. It helped that some of the footage was shot with IMAX cameras, IIRC. Yeah, it was worth it to me.

Originally Posted by He Who Lurks No More
I don't know, I think there was way too many uses of "shit". Funny how that kind of stuff jumps out at you when you have a five-year old and a two-year old.
I agree because I have a similar situation. My 5.5-year-old really wants to see this in the theater. There are a few parts she and I will need to step out during, such as when a certain character ends up dying in space in the middle of the movie. I was surprised by how much swearing is in this one, and there's definitely a lot more sexual references in this than the original. The body count is high, too, especially for innocent people. At least we know Xandar was evacuated! In these regards, it's a much more intense movie and I really have to think about whether we can do the theater (when the crowds die down, maybe the cheap seats) or wait until Blu-ray.

Originally Posted by slop101
Just got back. It was fine. Good, not great. Definitely felt forced; the humor, action and pathos were all just a bit too heavy-handed.

I have to disagree, especially on scale. We see Ego taking over several planets. That's quite a bit bigger than Ronan's reach toward Xandar. Plus, those people had no idea what was going on, which to me is scarier.
Old 05-06-17, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by story

I have to disagree, especially on scale. We see Ego taking over several planets. That's quite a bit bigger than Ronan's reach toward Xandar. Plus, those people had no idea what was going on, which to me is scarier.
I meant that it only took place on a couple planets and a couple spaceships. We didn't get to see much of the galaxy like the last movie. The world of the movie felt smaller, so the threat of that blob taking over all those planets didn't resonate as intended.
Old 05-06-17, 04:10 PM

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,089 Posts

GotG1: Earth, Morag, the Dark Aster, Xandar, Sanctuary of Thanos, the Kyln, Knowhere, the Milano, and Yondu's ship.

Spoiler:
GotG2: Earth, Sovereign homea planet, Ravager party planet, the Milano, shipwreck planet, Yondu's ship, Yondu's smaller ship, Watchers' planet and several other shown planets passed by on the many jumps and other shown planets impacted by Ego, plus Ego himself.
That's a whole lot more locations and expansion of the galaxy, if you ask me. The scope is cosmic because it's everywhere but intimate because the characters are so closely tied to why the events unfold personally.
Old 05-06-17, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw it today and liked it. Lots of fun and surprisingly poignant at times. I don't know if it was Vin Diesel's influence or not, but there was a strong Fast & Furious "family" theme that ran strongly in this movie.

Not sure, but I read somewhere that young Kurt Russell was actually makeup and not CGI?

P.S. Seeing the Star Wars trailer on the big screen was awesome.
Old 05-06-17, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
P.S. Seeing the Star Wars trailer on the big screen was awesome.
I was more hyped to see the Ragnarok trailer on the big screen. Too bad I had people crawling all over me during it trying to find seats
Old 05-06-17, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Saw it today on IMAX Real 3D. It was awesome.. Loved every second of it.. Liked it even more than the first. I am also not sure why critics are ragging on this. So funny and the characters all had time to shine. Audience ate it up. Clapping, cheering, sniffles a a non stop laughter.
Old 05-06-17, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh and I thought the 3D was pretty damn great.. See this on IMAX if you can thoigh.. Beautiful looking movie.
Old 05-06-17, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I thought this was lousy. the pedestrian script. the over saturation of cgi. The lifeless young Kurt Russell rendering. The forced humour and hokey sentimentality. The The 136 post credit scenes (advertisements). It was predictable from beginning to end. There were a few decents moments, but overall it was just as bad as all the other MCU films.

2.5/5
Lmao!!! Wow.. What a depressing person you must be, and how way off your review is. Forced humor? Let me guess, you think the Big Bang Theory is funny. Stick with that.

And that de-aging effect really has gone from strength to strength..

Last edited by james2025a; 05-06-17 at 07:47 PM.
Old 05-06-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 182 Likes on 147 Posts

Well I've never seen an episode of the Big Bang Theory, and I was a little disappointed in it too. I didn't hate it, and there are certainly some fun moments, but I thought the middle of the movie dragged. Also, while I like Michael Rooker, I'm not sure that the Yondu character really warranted a ten minute death send off at the end.

I am a James Gunn fan, and I loved the first movie. This one was OK.
Old 05-07-17, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,032 Likes on 4,117 Posts

I thought it was good, not great. Certainly not as fun and original as the first one. I think splitting the team in two was a bad idea - their interplay at the beginning was the best thing in this movie (along with the soundtrack of course). Thought Kurt Russell didn't play to his strengths-- his charm and grit. I liked him a lot more in the last Tarantino film than here. And I have no words about Stallone -- if that's how you are going to use him, you're better off not casting him at all.
It wasn't bad by any means and the CGI was impressive, but I didn't love it.

Old 05-07-17, 01:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I loved it and looking forward to taking my gf to it. Not better than the first, but not worse either. Focusing on the relationships felt right for this one.

And my favorite line that I and my friends kept quoting: "I'm Mary Poppins, y'all!"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.