Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you still buy CDs / have you gotten rid of them?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Do you still buy CDs / have you gotten rid of them?

Old 05-22-17, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts
Re: Do you still buy CDs / have you gotten rid of them?

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
I was checking them out at two different B&M's this weekend. And unlike 10 years ago, I walked out of both stores without buying a single title.
This was a regular occurrence for me since the mid-2000s. By then, I was mostly doing special orders at local record stores.

Eventually I found it was easier and less expensive to order less popular cd titles from amazon, than doing special orders at local record stores.
Old 05-22-17, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

I only buy discs in a couple of instances, preorders that come with extras, or in person at a concert. I'm more likely to buy discs from local bands than anyone else.

Everything else I buy tends to come from Bandcamp. Having the ability to download both FLAC and MP3 for the same price is great. I back up my hard drives, so I'm not worried about losing them. I do need to start up an off-site backup, which would put me a full step above physical media in case of fire loss.
Old 05-22-17, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,177 Likes on 906 Posts

Have not bought a CD in years. I just do vinyl and an occasional digital album.

I will be buying a CD package soon, though, because an indie band I like has an IndieGoGo campaign going and they're funding a 4-disc boxed set for release later this fall. Shit like that -- I am totally down for especially when it's a band you actually like and follow.
Old 05-22-17, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,389 Likes on 1,020 Posts

I bought a CD this weekend, a single of Gwen Stefani's Hollaback Girl (the Bananas song).

Pretty much all of our other music is digital, but I'll still pick up singles as collectibles like this.
Old 06-21-17, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've drastically cut down my CD purchases over the past year or so since I joined Spotify Premium.

I actually collected CDs (and still do to an extent). I've refused to buy anything on iTunes for the past 10 or so years - if I'm paying $10 to $15 for an album I want to hear, I'll buy a hard copy for the same price, or sometimes even less.

I will say, though, that the past few albums I've bought have been Target Exclusive editions so I can have the extra tracks that aren't on Spotify - and every now and then if there are a few songs from a few albums I want to hear I'll bring the CDs in the car with me, I find it much easier to just swap out the discs than trying to locate a particular song in my library from my phone while I'm on the go. With Spotify I've been a lot more selective lately, and I still enjoy collecting CDs, but now I'm in no rush with albums that don't have exclusives. If I like it I'll revisit it in a few months when the price of the CD goes down, and if I still like it then I'll buy the CD.

I have accumulated about 600 - 700 CDs. I've gotten rid of tons and made so many blind-buys at secondhand stores and through used CD sales - some of which I haven't even listened to, so I'm overdue for a clean out. I'll probably end up getting rid of a lot, only keeping albums that are my all-time favorites, exclusive editions, or rare and OOP stuff.
Old 07-11-17, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only buy a handful of cds a year these days. I do have over 400-500 cds (and about 50 I'm trying to get rid of)...but it is all stuff at least 10-15 years old (if not much older). In fact, I'm about to grab the 20th Anniversary of Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood because my original cd (yes...it's probably 20+ years old) is beat to shit (because I've probably played it about 500 times) and for me that's one of my top 20 favorite discs (and Amazon is selling it for a mere $7 and change). But that's a rarity, honestly....not that I don't enjoy cds, but because I have everything I pretty much want.
Old 07-12-17, 02:40 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I still mostly buy cds. I hate the digital age. I miss renting a movie at Blockbuster, music stores and the excitement of an artist releasing a new album. I enjoy the jewel case cover art. I can't stand those flimsy cardboard cd releases.

I recently discovered House of Lords and have been buying their entire cd catalog. Now I am doing the same with Harem Scarem. Ironically, it was Pandora that turned me onto these bands. haha
Old 07-14-17, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I recently discovered House of Lords and have been buying their entire cd catalog. Now I am doing the same with Harem Scarem. Ironically, it was Pandora that turned me onto these bands. haha
(As an aside).

One really rare Harem Scarem release was their 1990 demo, which appeared to be a cd released back when it was still a novelty and not ubiquitous. (Back in the day, demos were typically released on cassette).

I don't know if this demo cd was ever re-released.
Old 07-14-17, 06:12 AM

If you're into House of Lords, another band you might want to check out is Giuffria which was the previous band of House of Lords' keyboard player Greg Giuffria.

Back in the day, I use to listen to Giuffria's "Silk and Steel" cd over and over again.
Old 07-14-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchase CDs and vinyl
Old 07-17-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

I will never get rid of them. Still buy them and as some have stated I hate the digital shit too. The sound quality will never be the same as vinyl or CD's.
Old 07-18-17, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 80 Likes on 46 Posts

The collector in me still has pretty much every CD I've ever bought/acquired, but they're all ripped into digital for going mobile. The physical CD is just too much of an inconvenience nowadays. But, every time I go to Goodwill I'm always looking for the occasional hidden gem in the stacks.
Old 07-18-17, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

CDs are an "inconvenience"? You must never have used a reel-to-reel tape machine!
Old 07-19-17, 10:29 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

When you can plug 1 USB into your car with hundreds of songs rather than have to lug a bunch CDs around, then yeah, CDs are an inconvenience.
Old 07-19-17, 12:09 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I still buy the occasional CD, but its mostly albums where most of the songs I enjoy.
I currently have 518 titles between CDs and Vinyls. I went through a big cleanup last year before moving so most of that stuff is here to stay
Old 07-20-17, 06:49 PM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy
If you're into House of Lords, another band you might want to check out is Giuffria which was the previous band of House of Lords' keyboard player Greg Giuffria.

Back in the day, I use to listen to Giuffria's "Silk and Steel" cd over and over again.
Thanks for the recommend. I'm always looking for new bands in that same vein. I'm surprised House of Lords never made much of a blimp on the rock scene. Their song "Rock bottom" is so heavy and has all the traits of a hit single.
Old 07-21-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
Thanks for the recommend. I'm always looking for new bands in that same vein. I'm surprised House of Lords never made much of a blimp on the rock scene. Their song "Rock bottom" is so heavy and has all the traits of a hit single.
One of the best remakes of a song EVER!!

Old 07-21-17, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 273 Likes on 176 Posts

Last CD I bought was American Idiot by Green Day in 2004.
Old 07-21-17, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

I was just looking at buying several CD sets today. I've been getting into 1970's fusion jazz, and there are several budget sets with multiple albums in reproduction sleeves instead of jewel boxes. Five albums for $15-20 is cheaper than digital downloads and takes a lot less space than individual discs.
Old 07-21-17, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

Yep, I've bought a few of those- they should've done that YEARS ago. The price of movies on disc gets dropped after they've been out a while, but most albums either stay the same or have even gone up in some cases.
Old 07-21-17, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I've gotten several of those budget sets in the cardboard sleeves: Big Audio Dynamite, Simple Minds, Ultravox, Siouxsie--I love those sets.
Old 07-24-17, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I am mostly a Classic Rock fan, so I bought most of my CD's in the early 90's when the technology took over for Cassettes and Vinyl.

I still buy an occasional CD, but I pretty much finished my collection a long time ago, and converted them all to my Ipod so there isn't much left to buy.
Old 07-24-17, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I am mostly a Classic Rock fan, so I bought most of my CD's in the early 90's when the technology took over for Cassettes and Vinyl.

I still buy an occasional CD, but I pretty much finished my collection a long time ago, and converted them all to my Ipod so there isn't much left to buy.
Similar sentiments here too. (Though I don't have an ipod and rarely listen to music outside of the home).

I more or less got all the stuff I wanted on cd back in the late-80s and early-90s.

Nowadays the only cds I'm still tempted to buy, are re-releases with tons of extra stuff which looks interesting. For example, such as: old demo tapes, unreleased albums, vintage live concerts, etc ....

Otherwise if it is just one or two mediocre unreleased tracks (from studio outtakes) tacked on to the original album being done as a re-release cd, then I won't bother unless I find it for $5 or less.
Old 07-24-17, 10:01 AM

(More generally).

Nowadays it seems like many of these "extra tracks" on re-released cds, frequently end up youtube shortly after release.

If a re-released cd sounds interesting, I'll check out the "extra tracks" which show up on youtube (however brief). If I like what I hear, I'll pick up such re-released cd titles.

As an example, a number of years ago Ozzy Osbourne's "Diary of a Madman" and "Blizzard of Oz" were re-released with the original drum + bass tracks reinstated, along with some extra tracks. I listened to the live concert on the second cd from Diary of a Madman, and liked what I heard. So I purchased the 2-cd re-released version.

In contrast, the re-released "Blizzard of Oz" cd didn't really have much extra stuff which caught my attention. (One extra track was a guitar solo outtake, which showed up youtube and other online sites). So I didn't bother buying it for many years, until I saw it in the local dump bins for $5.

(As a long rambling offtopic aside).

By the mid 2000s, I was getting sick and tired of buying re-released/compilation cd titles which turned out to be mostly mediocre "extra tracks" or really lousy demos and other unreleased stuff. (Later I found out some of these cd compilations of unreleased material I had, were crappy bootlegs which I didn't know at the time. Annoying to find out that I was unintentionally buying bootlegs which sounded like the tape was being eaten up).

I can see why some bands didn't want some of these old demos, concerts, and other unreleased relics being released back in the day.

It was heartbreaking finding an unreleased "holy grail" title on cd, just to find out it was complete shit.

After too many instances of this, by the mid-2000s I gave up and didn't bother wasting any more time searching for hypothetical "holy grail" titles on cd (whether real or perceived).

Nowadays such "holy grail" shit titles, frequently end up on youtube in all their "tape eating sounding" glory.
Old 07-24-17, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by morriscroy

I more or less got all the stuff I wanted on cd back in the late-80s and early-90s.
I know there are many factors that killed CD's (Napster, ITunes, MP3, etc.) in the late 90's/early 00's, but I do wonder if we were a factor by finishing up our collections in the early 90's. I just remember being in High School in the early 90's and all of my friends (including me) were buying CD's left and right and upgrading our collection from crappy Cassette Tapes. By the mid 90's, I would sporadically buy CD's of newer bands but not at the rate I was buying in 1989, 1990, 1991, etc.

You wonder if they didn't make CD's last a lifetime, they could have churned out another generation on us (Similar to VHS to DVD to BluRay), but I still my first CD's of The Who, The Doors, The Beatles I bought in 1989 with my first DVD player and they sound just as great today.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.