Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Fate of the Furious (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
0%
20.00%
52.00%
12.00%
12.00%
0%
0%
0%
0%
4.00%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 909 Likes on 671 Posts
re: The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

This was my least favorite in the series. One of those scenarios where I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't a F&F movie. I don't know if it's the lack of Walker and Mia but this one felt even less like F&F than the previous couple.

Good action flick; horrible plot holes; good cast; did not feel like F&F at all.
Old 07-15-17, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,198 Likes on 2,064 Posts
re: The Fate of the Furious (Fast 8) (Gray, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Finally saw this tonight and thought it was great. My favorite to date was Fast 5 and I may have enjoyed this one even more! I just liked everything about it.

All the credit goes to F. Gary Gray. The movie was absolutely ridiculous and the "Dom gone bad" storyline could have been incredibly bad but Gray held it all together and as over the top as it was, it still felt more grounded than the last few F&F films.
Old 08-07-17, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Finally watched this, and it was mostly a return to form. That being said, they fixed everything that was wrong with 7 which elevates it quite a bit.

1. The plot was absurd but it was FUN and 2. the characters were fantastic which were the two biggest problems with 7. I can check my brain and suspend my disbelief only so far, but if the movie is fun and characters are strong, it goes a long way.

3. The third biggest thing wrong with 7 was a completely wasted Statham. They tease what a badass he was supposed to be but never fully unleashed him. Much to my (and it looks like, others) delight, they totally rectified that one for Fate. He stole the movie.

4. Hobbes/Johnson was horribly used in 7 and was used much better here.

Enough with the comparisons to 7, outside of the touching ending tribute it's in the lower tier of this franchise. Losing Elena sucked, but she was kinda under utilized anyway so I guess that's fine. Charlize was excellent as a villain, but kinda constrained being stuck in tiny rooms for every scene. I wanted to see her kick some ass. Also good to see Tego & Omar back, albeit briefly.

Lastly, what is the appeal of Lucas Black? I don't get it. He was horrendous in Tokyo Drift & had an equally horrendous accent. I'd settle for a convoluted way to bring Han back than see him in this franchise again. I remembered seeing him rumored to be in Fate, so I was kinda glad he didn't show up.

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I also liked the fact that they brought Tego Calderon and Don Omar back as they have been missing since 5.
Good enough to help with a gig, but not good enough to invite to the BBQ. Some family.

Originally Posted by DJariya
How are you skipping the trailers if you are seeing a movie and it's shown beforehand?

Like this?

I have closed my eyes before or just look at the seat backs or floor. Barring some silly catchphrase the audio is pretty forgettable without an image to pair it with.
Old 09-10-17, 12:08 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

you know what you are going to get and it delivered

over the top adrenaline filled unrealistic plot and action which is fun and a good home theatre workout

Stratham and the Rock to me are the leads now of this series, get rid of Vin Diesel
Old 09-10-17, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Actually, there's talk of spinning off those 2 characters into their own franchise. At least, there was around the time this came out.
Old 04-04-18, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Dwayne Johnson confirms he was not in any scenes with Vin Diesel:

https://www.rollingstone.com/movies/...ampage-w518693

All of which may help explain the drama that boiled over on the set of The Fate of the Furious in 2016. During the last week of filming, Johnson posted a message on his Instagram slamming anonymous co-stars who fail to "conduct themselves as stand-up men and true professionals" and were "too chickenshit to do anything about it. . . . Candyasses."

It soon became clear Johnson was referring to co-star Vin Diesel. When the film came out, eagle-eyed viewers noticed the pair's scenes were shot in such a way that they might not have been on set at the same time. "That is correct," confirms Johnson. "We were not in any scenes together."

Sounds like the Hobbs character is moving on to the spinoff and probably won't be in Fast 9:

Does that mean he might not be back for the ninth installment? "I'm not quite sure," he says. "Right now I'm concentrating on making the spinoff as good as it can be" – Hobbs and Shaw, co-starring Jason Statham, due next year. "But I wish him all the best, and I harbor no ill will there, just because of the clarity we have." He considers this, then lets out a big, sly laugh. "Actually, you can erase that last part about 'no ill will.' We'll just keep it with the clarity."
Old 04-05-18, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

I'm over his character anyway, don't really need to see him in any more of them.
Old 04-05-18, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

And here I thought the Johnson vs. Diesel beef was all just a publicity stunt. Seems like Johnson has beef with Gibson too... :/

I don't even like the Hobbs character and don't understand why they're pushing for a spin-off other than how popular Johnson seems to be at the box office.
Old 04-05-18, 11:56 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

My excitement for these is starting to drop. I'm ready for this to be over.
Old 04-05-18, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I do like his character with regards to Statham's, so the spinoff could be fun, but don't see any need to have him in any future Furious movies.
Old 04-05-18, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Agreed the way he keeps shooting his mouth off at Vin and everyone else lately he will need to re-evaluate after his next three Rampage, Skyscraper, and Fighting with My Family bomb.