Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

During the 16-Bit era, was the Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo your primary console?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: During the 16-Bit era, was the Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo your primary console?
Sega Genesis.
39.73%
Super Nintendo.
46.58%
I played both equally.
9.59%
I didn't have either one.
4.11%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

During the 16-Bit era, was the Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo your primary console?

Old 03-13-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts
Re: During the 16-Bit era, was the Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo your primary consol

Originally Posted by Maxflier
While the Genesis was the better machine overall for sports games, Ken Griffey Jr. baseball was the goat of 16-bit baseball games IMO.
Tommy Lasorda and World Series Baseball were both superior to KGJr, IMO. And don't even get me going on the multitude of PC based baseball games that blew all of those out of the water.
Old 03-13-17, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 74 Posts
Re: During the 16-Bit era, was the Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo your primary consol

World Series Baseball along with Sega 2k1 Football are the two best sports games EVER made.

Super Tecmo Bowl close second to 2k1. =)
Old 03-13-17, 03:22 PM

Received 1,830 Likes on 1,089 Posts

I have to admit, it didn't occur to me the poll would be so evenly split. I knew three, maybe four people who had a Genesis and the rest of us had a Super Nintendo.
Old 03-13-17, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I owned a Genesis, and preferred it for sports titles. Now that I'm older, I prefer the SNES.
Old 03-13-17, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Tommy Lasorda and World Series Baseball were both superior to KGJr, IMO. And don't even get me going on the multitude of PC based baseball games that blew all of those out of the water.
World Series Baseball and the cartwheels down the third base line! Man, that was some fun shit!
Old 03-13-17, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the poll is balanced because unlike the last few generations, the 16-bit generation was the closest in terms of competition. Each system had their own strengths which appealed to everyone.
Old 03-13-17, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr
Genesis for sports games. SNES for everything else
Originally Posted by astrochimp
Same for me and since sports games are my thing my Genesis was used more.
Both of these. My friends and I in High School played the EA NHL and NBA games constantly. The Tom Chambers dunk is still the biggest cheese ever in a sports game as far as I'm concerned.

Still, my favorite memory is a bunch of us running a NES Tecmo Football league in HS. One guy had to sit there and compile all of the stats and then put them in a spreadsheet. Pretty sure he used Lotus to do it.
Old 03-14-17, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 371 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D
. The Tom Chambers dunk is still the biggest cheese ever in a sports game as far as I'm concerned.
Holy shit!!! Yes! THAT was some great video game basketball... that said, Tecmo Basketball was pretty sweet with that killer Charlotte team of Del Curry, Larry Johnson, etc.
Old 03-14-17, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rob V
Holy shit!!! Yes! THAT was some great video game basketball... that said, Tecmo Basketball was pretty sweet with that killer Charlotte team of Del Curry, Larry Johnson, etc.
The Bulls best player in that game was John Paxson. He could hit the 3 from the top corner every single time. My friend played a season and I think he averaged 70 points a game with him.
Old 03-14-17, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I went from NES to Genesis and then stuck with Sega for the Dreamcast. I skipped the N64.
Old 03-14-17, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by edstein
I went from NES to Genesis and then stuck with Sega for the Dreamcast. I skipped the N64.
Soul Calibur was amazing on Dreamcast, as was being able to pick your play in NFL 2K from the controller.
Old 03-15-17, 07:49 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts

I was mainly into sports games back then, so obviously Genesis.
Old 03-15-17, 11:40 AM

Received 772 Likes on 504 Posts

Snes.
Old 03-15-17, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My friends and I would actually have rules in NHL and 94 and 95 either allowing or not allowing cheese goals.

My favorite sports team to use in any sports game of the 90's was probably the Oilers in Tecmo Super Bowl. I have a friend with a brother about 5 years younger than us. When I was around 22 one of his friends challenged me to a game when he heard me talking about it. I believe the game was turned off after I went up 63-3.
Old 03-16-17, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both were used equally in my dorm. For SNES, we played Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Super Bomberman, NBA Jam, and Super Smash TV mostly for multiplayer. On the Genesis, we played primarily the NHL series and more for single player games (especially the Lunar series on the Sega CD).
Old 03-16-17, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

SNES for me. My brother was a Sega guy so it was there for me to dabble with, but SNES had everything I wanted.
Old 05-05-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 211 Likes on 160 Posts

I played both equally. Genesis for sports games and SNES for Nintendo first party games.