DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-16, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: TV On DVD Challenge * The Seventh Season Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by shellebelle
I watched the complete season of The Shannara Chronicles. Started it this afternoon and just finished it. Not sure what I'll tackle tomorrow. Tarfrimmer and I are going to try and get thru Robin Hood, and Legend of the Seeker. I'm also going to try to get through The Strain.
What did you think of The Shannara Chronicles? I did a blind buy of that one based on liking the books and have yet to watch it. I also have Legend of the Seeker waiting in the wings.

Which Robin Hood?
Old 12-27-16, 09:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I started off last night with finishing off the last four episodes of the recently ended anime series Occultic;Nine which managed to finish pretty good after a bit of a bumpy start for me.

Today, I started watching a couple different series that have been in my TV disc backlog for a few years by watching the first episodes of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and Frank Riva. Both have left me wanting to watch more, so it is a good thing I am off the rest of the week.

I also watched the Superman vs Batman: Dawn of Justice extended cut today, but I am not sure if that counts as continuity of any TV shows so I didn't put it on my list.
Old 12-27-16, 09:12 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

This started already? Cool, guess I'm getting some holiday double credit with the amazing Star Wars Holiday Special.
Old 12-28-16, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I've posted the 2017 TV List thread if anyone wants to use it.
Old 12-28-16, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I'll be back home this weekend and ready to watch the new season of Man in the High Castle.
Old 12-28-16, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've always enjoyed restaurant renovation shows, and just discovered a good one on the Cooking Channel, called Belly Up!. The episode I watched was 'Hidden Issues', where the host helped a struggling bar called Hideaway West.
Old 12-28-16, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I've posted the 2017 TV List thread if anyone wants to use it.
Let the moderator know that it needs a sticky.
Old 12-28-16, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Let the moderator know that it needs a sticky.
Already did
Old 12-28-16, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I was visiting my parents when the challenge started, and we marathoned episodes of Matlock into the night. Mom received a bulk of the series for Christmas, and Andy Griffith has been perpetually solving murders in their living room ever since. Thankfully, I'm a fan of the show and happily joined the marathon-in-progress.

On my own, I watched a lot of Bob's Burgers while finishing up an art project to gift to a friend. I'm in love with that show and am sad that I'm about to exhaust Netflix's supply of episodes (seasons 1-5). I cannot find season 6 streaming, but Hulu has the current season so I may jump ahead a bit.
Old 12-28-16, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got a few new seasons/series in the mail the past few days and am trying to decide if I want to crack one of the blind buys open or dig out some old, dusty, had-far-to-long-without-opening, selections.

I got: Warehouse 13 Complete series (blind buy), The Flash S1 (blind buy), Bonanza S6 (last season with Adam Cartwright), and Father Dowling Mysteries Complete series (will probably hold this for the Crime challenge).
Old 12-29-16, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was looking on Hulu for something to watch and saw Secrets Of The Universe on my Watchlist. I remember that when I watched the show before, I enjoyed it, and since I love shows on outer space, I thought, 'Why not revisit it?' I just finished the first episode, which talked about black holes.
Old 12-29-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I broke open my Dogfights set earlier this morning, and have already watched the first two episodes from Season 1. The first one was about the Korean War, and the dogfights between the F-86 Sabres and the Mig 15s, and the second episode was set in the Vietnam War, talking about one of the greatest fighter pilots the Air Force has ever known, Robin Olds.
Old 12-29-16, 11:29 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So far I've been watching Knots Landing and Dallas. With Knots I'm in S4 and it's been pretty good so far. Dallas I have seen a lot of it before but never watched it all the way through. I first saw it on SOAPnet years ago. Me and my brother watched s10 and 11 on it. After that I ended up collecting it on dvd and have all the seasons now.

I started MARS on Nat Geo and want to watch The OA.
Old 12-29-16, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished S6 of ST:TNG with my grandson. He wanted to watch part 2 of the season ending cliff-hanger so we've moved on to S7. S6 was a bit mixed for me with about half being "average" episodes that just didn't resonate. But the good ones were really good.

I normally don't care for "Q" and was a bit surprised that one of the two "Q" episodes in S6 wasn't too bad, although the other was a variation of Dicken's "A Christmas Carol." While I like the original story I'm typically turned off by attempts to "modernize" or work it into TV episodes. It has a high rating on IMDB but I just didn't care for it.

I also tend to dislike episodes which feature Riker but a pair in S6 were outstanding, which was a surprise. I want to know what happened to the 2nd Riker at the end of "Second Chances." Looking up the character I find he's only in *one* other episode, a S3 episode of DS9 where he steals the Defiant. That sounds somewhat out-of-character so I may need to rewatch that one to see. The main thing about that TNG episode that bothered me was that both Rikers have decades of shared experiences but a few times one or the other didn't seem to know things the other knew when he *should* have known. Someone in scripting wasn't paying attention...

I don't know that I've ever seen any S7 episodes and know for sure I've not seen the S6 cliff-hanger/S7 conclusion episode. Had I caught either in syndication I'd have kept moving on as they're Borg episodes and I just don't care for that "enemy."
Old 12-29-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm pondering picking up the first season of The Librarians. It's available on Google Play and Amazon Video for $9 (10 eps HD). The dvd for season 1 is $21.99. It's available on vudu too, but it's more expensive and I don't know if being platform agnostic is worth the extra $$$.
Old 12-29-16, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Other than a handful of Power Rangers and Ultraman episodes, I’ve been plunging into classic American TV. While I have mixed feelings about such series as “Mission: Impossible,” “Ironside,” “Hawaii Five-0,” and “Police Story,” I outright love “Perry Mason,” “Gunsmoke,” and “Death Valley Days.” The writing and direction are so good on those shows. I used to watch “Perry Mason” and “Gunsmoke” as a kid and I can see why they worked so well for a five-year-old. Even if the fine legal points of Perry Mason’s defense tactics went over my head, I understood the emotions of each scene and who was the victim, who had something to hide, and who the good guy was. And every scene is only just as long as it needs to be before getting to the next plot point. These episodes work just as well today. This was one of the earliest non-western TV dramas with continuing characters and it’s remarkably sophisticated in its production, its acting and its writing. And Raymond Burr is more animated as a good guy than he ever was as a movie bad guy. The role unleashed a whole new side of his acting skills. How did it all come together so well? I wonder if there’s a behind-the-scenes book about its production.

Old 12-29-16, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I really enjoy the first 3 seasons of Mission Impossible but it started to have a "sameness" after Martin Landau and Barbara Bain left the series.

I watched Hawaii 5-0 during its first run mostly because there was nothing opposite I liked. It lost out to The Smothers Brothers Show in its second season and by S3 I was old enough to go "out" during the evenings so didn't see much of it after that. I *did* purchase S1 a while back when I stumbled across it at Walmart for $10. I should get it out for a viewing to see how I feel about it 48 years later. It should be interesting...

I rarely watched Ironside in first run as there was either something I wanted to see running opposite it or I was out cruising. Even then I didn't like it nearly as much as Perry Mason, which is a all-time favorite. When I was a young married person my wife and I would watch Perry Mason every weeknight. I'm pretty sure we watched the entire run at least twice during those years and I'd watched most of it during the original airings. I generally don't care for courtroom/legal dramas but that one is a rare exception.

I've never seen a episode of Police Story, have never much cared for Gunsmoke, and don't recall ever seeing a episode of Death Valley Days although I *did* purchase S1 & S2 of it recently to see if I like it. I should open S1 of it this month too...
Old 12-30-16, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^ I've seen the occasional episode of Death Valley Days, on Encore Western, and while I haven't watched it on a regular basis. The episodes I have seen, I have enjoyed.
Old 12-30-16, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
What did you think of The Shannara Chronicles? I did a blind buy of that one based on liking the books and have yet to watch it. I also have Legend of the Seeker waiting in the wings.

Which Robin Hood?
I watched Shannara during the broadcast and thought it was decent. I liked the fantasy elements, but there was some awkward MTV hipness that didn't quite fit. I only read a couple of the books, and that was many years ago.

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I'm pondering picking up the first season of The Librarians. It's available on Google Play and Amazon Video for $9 (10 eps HD). The dvd for season 1 is $21.99. It's available on vudu too, but it's more expensive and I don't know if being platform agnostic is worth the extra $$$.
Split platforms is the curse of the digital age. There are shows I have on disc, on UV, on Amazon, on Xbox, etc., all because of deals or credits or whatever.
Old 12-30-16, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sometimes hunting shows have multiple kinds of hunting in one episode. An example is an episode of Trained Assassins, that I just watched on the Sportsman Channel. It opened with a dove hunt, and then finished with a trophy whitetail hunt in Missouri.
Old 12-31-16, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really enjoy the programming on Outside Television, and one of my favorite shows on there is Rolex Spirit Of Yachting. An episode just finished where for most of the leg, the boats were becalmed, because the seas were calm.
Old 12-31-16, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched a dozen episodes of I Married Joan (1952) last night and this morning. I picked up the 3 volumes of this from VCI during one of their recent sales. I watched this in syndicated reruns as a kid in the early 60s and enjoyed it. It was nice to see episodes again after 50+ years, but I wish they'd release seasons of this one rather than the random episode collections. Of course, it's likely the episodes represent the best of the series and it might not hold up quite as well in full seasons. All together, the 3 volumes have roughly a season's worth of episodes. The first volume has episodes from each season in random order which breaks what little continuity the series had originally. It's essentially a I Love Lucy clone. It's worth viewing a few episodes if you're a fan of Golden Age TV, Joan Davis, or I Love Lucy.
Old 12-31-16, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Today was Pokémon day, what with Cartoon Network running the last episode of the past season, Pokémon The Series XYZ, and then switching off to Disney XD, which ran the latest Pokémon movie, VOLCANION AND THE MECHANICAL MARVEL, which was pretty spectacular and begged to be seen on the big screen. (I saw the trailer for it when I was in Japan last March. Sadly, these movies don't get shown in theaters in the U.S. anymore.) This was followed by the first two eps. of Pokémon Sun & Moon, the new season, which seems to be something of a prequel, with new, simpler designs.

Old 12-31-16, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was in the mood for a fishing show, so turned on The Hunt For Big Fish, on the World Fishing Network. The episode I watched had the crew fishing for trophies off of the coast of Panama. The biggest fish they caught in the episode came at the end of the show when they landed a huge marlin. I used to want to go saltwater fishing myself.
Old 12-31-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Yesterday I watched Atlanta. When the series first started, I watched the first two episodes and it didn't really grab me. After hearing all the great reviews I figured I'd watch it for the challenge and it was a hoot.

Started S2 of The Man in the High Castle and remembered that I didn't really like any of the main characters. I think I'll pass on the rest of the episodes.

Thankfully WE has their weekly Law & Order Marathon so I'll watch that for the rest of the evening. The very first episode features Beverly Johnson, Andrew Robinson, Seth Gilliam, Wendell Pierce, and Keith Szarabajka (who was in two episodes I watched this morning).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.