Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-18, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,154 Likes on 901 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Originally Posted by fujishig
You can't use it disconnected from the switch, and apparently there's a bug in it that drains your battery like crazy:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...s_battery_life
I’d be using it in handheld mode so not being able to disconnect it would really bother me much. Hopefully they fix the battery issue though. Sounds like a decent controller otherwise.
Old 08-02-18, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Has anyone else dove into Octopath Traveler? I finished up the last two Chapter 2 stories I had left at about 25 hours in. Now I'm working on grinding levels to get ready for the Chap 3's. Cyrus main.
I'm looking to start it this weekend. Hopefully the beginning isn't too much of a slog.
Old 08-02-18, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I'm looking to start it this weekend. Hopefully the beginning isn't too much of a slog.
It's not. Once you finish Chapter 1 for whichever starter you choose, the map opens up and you can explore/level and meet the other 7 characters in the order you want. They're all in different towns.

Overall the game is kinda grindy though. Similar to the games it's an homage to.
Old 08-02-18, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts

Has anyone else dove into Octopath Traveler? I finished up the last two Chapter 2 stories I had left at about 25 hours in. Now I'm working on grinding levels to get ready for the Chap 3's. Cyrus main.
Yep I'm around where you are got 1 or 2 chapter 2 stories left. I'm having a ton of fun with it. Olberic is my main but my favorite party is him, Ophilia, Cyrus, and Therion.

I haven't done any grinding and haven't died once yet.
Old 08-02-18, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm only grinding because I'm trying to keep everyone leveled. Cyrus is already level 40 but I still have a couple in the low/mid 20's that I haven't used much.
Old 08-02-18, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I have been playing it and have characters in the 40 plus range. I still suck at battles and do not understand these types of battles, as I struggle more than I should with enemies at a lower level than my characters. I see videos online where their characters are doing thousands of points of damage over and over again and my guys only do that kind of damage once and when I use a special move with full BP. I like the game but feel that the battle system and job systems are a bit convoluted for someone that doesn't have a lot of experience with games like this.
Old 08-05-18, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Considering that their E3 showing more or less was a SSB Direct...
Old 08-06-18, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't paid attention, but the game Dead Cells looks really good.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/dead-cells
Old 08-07-18, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Dead Cells had a 5 dollar off preorder bonus. Seems they killed it early, and I missed it, even though it's not released here yet. It's probably petty but yeah, I'll just wait for it to go on sale later, not like I don't have to get through Hollow Knight already anyway. Ugh.
Old 08-07-18, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Dead Cells had a 5 dollar off preorder bonus. Seems they killed it early, and I missed it, even though it's not released here yet. It's probably petty but yeah, I'll just wait for it to go on sale later, not like I don't have to get through Hollow Knight already anyway. Ugh.
Kind of in the same boat. I've been eying Dead Cells on PC for years now. I'm absolutely going to get it for Switch, but I'm still enjoying Octopath Traveler right now, and if I pick up something else I'm likely to fall off that completely.

It'll be nice to know there's something I really want on the eShop for when I truly have the spare time.
Old 08-07-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I put hours into Hollow Knight but then ran into a few tedious boss fights and decided to just walk away. I feel like I got my money's worth out of it without finishing it.
Old 08-07-18, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I put hours into Hollow Knight but then ran into a few tedious boss fights and decided to just walk away. I feel like I got my money's worth out of it without finishing it.
Me too. I kept dying at the same boss, and when I'd go back to fight him again, my shadow would be right there floating above him. So I'd have both of them attacking me at once, and it was a total shit show. From what I understand, your shadow should spawn in the general area of the boss but not right next to them, so it sounds like I ran into a bug.

I know they've patched the game since I last played and maybe they fixed it, but I think I'm ready to move on from that one.
Old 08-08-18, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A new challenger approaches:

https://www.polygon.com/2018/8/8/176...-direct-switch
Old 08-08-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Considering that their E3 showing more or less was a SSB Direct...
Here's a good summary of the direct from Reddit

Highlights include:

5 new characters (Simon and Richter Belmont, Dark Samus, Chrom, and King K. Rool)

103 total stages

800 music tracks (!)

New assist trophies including Alucard, Knuckles, Mega Man Zero, Grey Fox, and Shovel Knight
Old 08-08-18, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Still no Waluigi and (Castlevania reveal video spoiler)
Spoiler:
poor Luigi's soul has been separated from his body
Old 08-08-18, 02:59 PM

Received 805 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by ultimaton
5 new characters (Simon and Richter Belmont, Dark Samus, Chrom, and King K. Rool)
Simon and King K. Rool being the only singularly playable characters with the other three being "Shadow Players": Richter (Simon), Dark Samus (Samus), and Chrom (Roy/Ike) are joining Daisy (Peach).

My kids are stoked! Especially for the music options and the playlists.
Old 08-09-18, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So Dead Cells is just terrific. I love it. If you watch any videos and think it might be something you're even slightly interested in, I'd recommend you pick it up.
Old 08-09-18, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lopper
So Dead Cells is just terrific. I love it. If you watch any videos and think it might be something you're even slightly interested in, I'd recommend you pick it up.
Man...I'm trying hard not to buy it only because my backlog is growing. Doesn't help that Steam already has it on sale. I'm definitely going to get it but I want to at least complete Octopath before buying something else new.
Old 08-09-18, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man...I'm trying hard not to buy it only because my backlog is growing. Doesn't help that Steam already has it on sale. I'm definitely going to get it but I want to at least complete Octopath before buying something else new.
Same boat, but with less self restraint. I'm pretty far into Octopath Traveler (through chapter 2 with some of the characters) and really want to finish that game. And I will...eventually. There's nothing so complex about it that will make it too difficult to pick up again down the road.

But man Dead Cells is so good. I've heard a lot about poor performance on Switch, and I've seen a little bit of that. No slowdown for me, but there are times where I'll skip from one place to the next. Not far but just enough to be noticable. I don't think I've died because of it yet, but it's still there and it still kind of sucks.

It's a tough call. It's a lot cheaper and runs really well on PC, but I think the portability and flexibility of the Switch wins out for me.
Old 08-09-18, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Or just pick it up on PS4.

It would be awesome if it was cross play with Vita.
Old 08-09-18, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Wait, what? Only compatible games feature cloud saves? It's not an OS level thing like the XB1 or PS4? Hopefully that's a typo.
Old 08-09-18, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not having any way to backup game saves right now is a lot of nonsense. You should be able to back them up in an installed memory card.
Old 08-09-18, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner

Wait, what? Only compatible games feature cloud saves? It's not an OS level thing like the XB1 or PS4? Hopefully that's a typo.
I'm pretty sure it's not a typo. It was mentioned when they first revealed cloud saves on the switch.
Old 08-09-18, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper

But man Dead Cells is so good. I've heard a lot about poor performance on Switch, and I've seen a little bit of that. No slowdown for me, but there are times where I'll skip from one place to the next. Not far but just enough to be noticable. I don't think I've died because of it yet, but it's still there and it still kind of sucks.

It's a tough call. It's a lot cheaper and runs really well on PC, but I think the portability and flexibility of the Switch wins out for me.
This sort of a statement intrigues me : That you would play an inferior performing game on a Switch due to the "portability and flexibility". To me playing the game at its optimal performance is far more important. Do you game a lot "on the road", or are you bringing your Switch into your bedroom and playing it in bed?
When I first got my Switch in December, I thought that would be my preferred console for multi-system games because of the portability but I soon realized I didn't travel much and could only play so many games on an airplane when I did. Now my Switch is mostly for console exclusives (though I was happy to purchase Yoku's Island Express on it -- great game to play on an airplane).
I'm not faulting you in any way, I'm just curious how much mobile gaming you find yourself doing on the Switch. It would be one thing if you could just throw it in your pocket and go out for the day, but you can't.
Old 08-10-18, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

^ Yeah, getting burned with the crummy Switch version of The Sexy Brutale with its constant slow downs and load screens kicked me to the same conclusion.

Last edited by SunMonkey; 08-10-18 at 07:15 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.