Reload this Page >

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Old 01-12-18, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts
Re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I just felt like the Wii U was a bit of a confused system. I got what they were going for (and we got it with the Switch) but as a "full console" it was a bit of a mess.
Old 01-12-18, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 872 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I just felt like the Wii U was a bit of a confused system. I got what they were going for (and we got it with the Switch) but as a "full console" it was a bit of a mess.
It was a beta product that they let consumers test for them. The Wii U should have been an internal prototype only, with the release goal of the Switch.
Old 01-12-18, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Yeah, the Wii U felt more like an in between console than a full new one. It seemed like the ideas for something more may have been there (which eventually evolved into the Switch) but they held back or didn’t have the resources at the time to fully make it happen. It felt a bit like one of these marginal upgrades to like the Xbox One or the PS4 only it was actually supposed to be something new.
Old 01-12-18, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wii U is the only system I never bought since Saturn. I never really loved any Wii games and it looked the same except with a screen on your controller like Dreamcast. Figured I'd try iPad gaming instead - if I'm going to get a system where I'll get tired of games after 45 minutes it might as well be portable and the games cost 99 cents. Love the Switch though, really want Super Mario 3D World ported.
Old 01-12-18, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stopped by GameStop today and wound up putting $5 down each for pre-orders of Payday 2 and Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection.
Old 01-13-18, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,029 Likes on 4,116 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Welp, Amazon Warehouse has a pretty loose definition of "Very Good". Opened my controller today (hey, the box was pristine) and got the controller out. It was FILTHY, covered in greasy spots and the right thumbstick didn't even return to neutral - it just sagged down low. What a disgrace. I called them and told them what was up. Though I kept saying that it was no big deal for me to return it, the guy told me to throw it away and he refunded my money immediately. I said okay -- at least the charging cable looks okay; I will keep that. Noticed that they were selling a "Like New" one for about the same price. I will roll the dice and give them one more try before relenting and just paying their (nearly) full price for a new one if this one doesn't live up to its condition description.
Originally Posted by The Questyen
I've bought hundreds of things from Amazon warehouse deals and it's hit or miss no matter the description. I've gotten just as many brand new looking items buying stuff in the "acceptable" category as I have buying "like new".
Well, thankfully this time was the charm. The "Like New" controller was as "like New" as you could get -- box still sealed and even the box was pristeen except for the Inspected by Amazon Warehouse sticker. Perfect condition inside the box. Pretty good deal for $55 -- especially since they gave me a $5 promotional GC in addition for my trouble.

I need to play some more before I make a final judgement. The controller is nice enough but the face buttons feel too raised and clicky for my taste. Honestly, except for the pathetic excuse for a D-pad, I was pretty fine with two Joy Cons in a charging grip. I know you guys all hated it as a gaming set-up, but I was pretty surprised to find that it really did feel fine for me. Maybe I just have small hands, but I never felt cramping. In either case, I'm happy to have a Pro Controller now at a decent price.
Old 01-13-18, 08:39 AM

Received 771 Likes on 504 Posts

Nintendo has no presence at PAX South this year... but there are a ton of Switches there (last year I saw a ton of 2DSs and 3Ds as folks were waiting in line... but not so much this year).

There are a few independent developers with games for the Switch. I'll track those down and talk about them tonight.
Old 01-13-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don’t they normally skip a lot of the big conventions and just do their Directs a few times a year or so though?
Old 01-13-18, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I think I'll be buying Darkest Dungeon this week. Seems like a good game for the Switch....not graphics intensive, bite-sized dungeons.

Last edited by mewmartigan; 01-13-18 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-13-18, 11:35 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Been playing Mario & Rabbids (due to The Questyn's thread) and it's pretty fun. Seems like it's a bit of a longer game than I was expecting... but I'm enjoying it.
Old 01-14-18, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Splatoon 2 does NOT have local multiplayer? I.e., like Mario Kart? Looks like only if you system link other Switch consoles. Bummer. I'd like to get it for my kids so they can play at same time.

Is there plans to offer it via patch/DLC? Thanks
Old 01-14-18, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Stopped by GameStop today and wound up putting $5 down each for pre-orders of Payday 2 and Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection.
I promise I'm not trying to threadcrap, but why put money down for preorders? Is it some pre-order bonus or Gamestop credit?
Old 01-14-18, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
I promise I'm not trying to threadcrap, but why put money down for preorders? Is it some pre-order bonus or Gamestop credit?
The workers at my store are cool and I always say no to pre-ordering and felt bad. Just got a couple things I was thinking about getting anyways.
Old 01-14-18, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,356 Likes on 921 Posts

I am so close to picking one of these up. I have enough credit at BB to pay for system itself. I'll then have about anywhere from $50 - $100 at Gamestop for games (rewards credit + trade ins), plus the B2G1 free used coupon for renewing their rewards. I was thinking of purchasing Mario and Zelda, obviously. I have zero clue as to what to pick up for my 3rd game. Mario Kart maybe? Not a huge fan of the series anymore, but that seems to be the only game that I or my kids might plays. Any other suggestions?

Games that I have zero interest in: Splatoon, Pokken Tournament, Arms, sports games, dance games, Doom, fighting games

Edit: I didn't realize it is B2G1 on any pre-owned item. I might see if I can get a pro controller instead of a 3rd game.

Edit 2: Shit. Looks like my local store doesn't have all the items in stock and it doesn't appear this coupon will work online. Not sure if I can buy items in store and see if they will ship them to me if they don't have them.

Last edited by Deftones; 01-14-18 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-14-18, 09:44 PM

Received 771 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Don’t they normally skip a lot of the big conventions and just do their Directs a few times a year or so though?
Last year was the lead up to the Switch so there was a ton of buzz.

Nintendo had no presence at PAX South this year. Nothing. Word was they pulled out a month ago... but we don't know why.

There were a ton of Switch Indy games on the floor this year... but only one of them caught my eye: Clusterpuck99!

It's on Steam now but will hit the Switch in February.
Old 01-15-18, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks like the physical edition of Wonder Boy has been delayed until Feb 13th?

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-15-18, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone else try the demo to Octopath Traveler? It's gonna be a day one purchase for me. Loved the demo and the retro design.
Old 01-15-18, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Anyone else try the demo to Octopath Traveler? It's gonna be a day one purchase for me. Loved the demo and the retro design.
I didn't know a demo was out! I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced ages ago.
Old 01-15-18, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I didn't know a demo was out! I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced ages ago.
It's got a decent bit of content, too. Unlike the Lost Sphere demo.
Old 01-15-18, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Same one that's been out for a couple months? If so I played it and enjoyed it.
Old 01-15-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Same one that's been out for a couple months? If so I played it and enjoyed it.
I'm assuming so? I don't know when it was released.
Old 01-15-18, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Yeah the demo came out in September
Old 01-16-18, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Limited Run Games announced earlier today, their first (second? Retro City Rampage was first?) physical game for the Switch. Saturday Morning RPG.

Old 01-16-18, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Saturday Morning RPG is their first announced Switch title, but it won’t be their first release.1 think there’s a six on the spine?

They’re not involved with Retro City Rampage.
Old 01-16-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

They've also said but not officially announced that Golf Story would be one of their first releases.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.