Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-16, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
re: Nintendo Switch: Building a New Generation of Hardware from Scratch

I suppose but there's still not a lot known about it. A lot of the comments against it seem pretty presumptuous and not based on anything factual.
Old 10-22-16, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

I have bought the following and not used them enough to justify the purchase price:

Wii, Wii U, PSP, Vita

I don't need/want a hybrid Wii U / Vita.
Old 10-22-16, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Obviously since this is the only system you can play it on
Portably? Yes, yes it is.
Old 10-22-16, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by al_tag
For what it's worth, I showed the trailer to the high school video game design class that I teach. Afterwards we talked about it and I asked if anyone wanted one. 95% of their hands went up.
High school kids are known for their intelligence.

Originally Posted by Mike86
I suppose but there's still not a lot known about it. A lot of the comments against it seem pretty presumptuous and not based on anything factual.

Says the guy that condemns every DC announcement before a frame of film is shot let alone viewed.
Old 10-22-16, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I blame Nintendo for that, since they're choosing to release little to no additional information aside from the video. People are going to speculate and assume things based on the information on hand, which brings me to...

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Says the guy that condemns every DC announcement before a frame of film is shot let alone viewed.
I was debating whether or not to go there, since I thought it was a little ironic given Mike and DC movies
Old 10-22-16, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't get the comparison there but okay? Nintendo has been around and has enough good will but one subpar console and people are willing to write them off apparently.

Condemning DC films as you put it was based off of the poor taste left by Man of Steel and a variety of other factors. Plus yeah those films have been met with such acclaim so guess I was wrong.
Old 10-22-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't get the comparison there but okay? Nintendo has been around and has enough good will but one subpar console and people are willing to write them off apparently.

Condemning DC films as you put it was based off of the poor taste left by Man of Steel and a variety of other factors. Plus yeah those films have been met with such acclaim so guess I was wrong.
I imagine many would argue that Nintendo has more then just one subpar console - sales aside, many gamers were pretty unhappy with the last half of the Wii's life span too. Plus, there's been a lot of criticisms about the way Nintendo has handled a lot of other decisions, features, and functionality with their products that seem to have put off a lot of gamers over the last decade.
Old 10-22-16, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think the Wii was their strongest system but it sold well and was obviously popular for a while. They've also managed to remain on top of the handheld market. The Wii U is their really only bonafide flop. I'll give you that they've made some questionable decisions and may not always be the most with the times but overall I don't think they're in as bad of shape as some want to believe.
Old 10-22-16, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
Going by history, Nintendo has never had a comfortable controller, at least in comparison to the newer Xbox and PS controllers.
Gee, I sure would hope so. It must be so hard to have a better controller in terms of for example comfort when your controller comes out AFTER the one you are comparing it to. Of course the Xbox and PS controllers should be better since they took what was great with the Nintendo controllers and then improved on what was say not as good that being the comfort level for example. Take the Gamecube controller vs. Xbox controller, and the only gripe I had as far as comfort with the Gamecube controller was size. Otherwise it felt fine to me.

Only controller of the first 4 Nintendo generations(never got the Wii/WiiU) that I have not liked is the original NES with it's edges/whatnot not being easy to handle since holding controllers that were rounded/smoothed AFTER the fact of course. Thankfully I have though the newer dog-bone controller for the top loading NES that came out and it's much better. But at the time the original NES controller was out and growing up with it, NEVER once I thought is was uncomfortable. WHY? Because everything up to that point of course was not as good.
Old 10-22-16, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't think the Wii was their strongest system but it sold well and was obviously popular for a while. They've also managed to remain on top of the handheld market. The Wii U is their really only bonafide flop. I'll give you that they've made some questionable decisions and may not always be the most with the times but overall I don't think they're in as bad of shape as some want to believe.
Flop is not the same as subpar, which was the term you had used. Man of Steel or Suicide Squad weren't flops either, but sure were subpar critically.

Seems pretty easy to me to see the comparison - the way you judge DC movies based off previous quality is the same way that some of Nintendo's audience is judging them over the last decade or so, thus making assumptions about what's coming next. You don't have to share that opinion of Nintendo, i'm just saying that's how some people are thinking.
Old 10-22-16, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by al_tag
So much salt in here...

For what it's worth, I showed the trailer to the high school video game design class that I teach. Afterwards we talked about it and I asked if anyone wanted one. 95% of their hands went up.

What were they most excited about? Skyrim.
Originally Posted by mattysemo247
Obviously since this is the only system you can play it on
Originally Posted by GatorDeb

THIS RIGHT HERE is I think the main thing Nintendo is angling with in terms of this system of drawing back the gamers. But honestly I have no real interest in the portable aspect.

I doubt it would ever happen, but would love the guts of this system to be a home only console option as it at least based on albeit speculation to be on par with the XboxOne. If I could have that system combined with the digital possibility of Nintendo's e-shop for Wii/WiiU games that I never played along with the new Switch generation games that would be great.

For now, I am 50/50 on this new system in terms of getting it or not. For sure though I can't see myself getting it at launch.
Old 10-22-16, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Flop is not the same as subpar, which was the term you had used. Man of Steel or Suicide Squad weren't flops either, but sure were subpar critically.

Seems pretty easy to me to see the comparison - the way you judge DC movies based off previous quality is the same way that some of Nintendo's audience is judging them over the last decade or so, thus making assumptions about what's coming next. You don't have to share that opinion of Nintendo, i'm just saying that's how some people are thinking.
Okay I guess that's fair. I have more faith in Nintendo to make a good console than I do in DC to make good films. The way I view it Nintendo has been fairly consistent.
Old 10-22-16, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nintendo has dropped the ball in so many ways dating back to the N64. Their library is what keeps them afloat, not their gimmicky ass consoles. I'm way more of a Nintendo guy than a Sony or MS person, but their track record with consoles is spotty at best. I don't have much faith in them to make a good console because it's been 25 years since they had one that was good across the board and not gimped in some fashion.

The lone bright spot going forward is not having to split development. No pulling a team working on console game x to work on a mobile game and vice versa. Of course it's also not hard to think they'll find a way to somehow fuck that up too.
Old 10-22-16, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess to me the Wii was their first gimmicky console. The Nintendo 64 and GameCube only really had the downfall of Nintendo not wanting to adopt optical media (or in the GameCube's case not normal optical media). I don't view their hardware as bad really but they did let themselves fall behind.
Old 10-22-16, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It will be interesting what the developer support is on this - by all accounts the Switch is basically using cell phone and tablet type ARM architecture, albeit with a significantly better GPU then most mobile devices, so while they show games like Skyrim or NBA 2K running on the Switch I wonder how much they're limited.
Old 10-22-16, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Going by history, Nintendo has never had a comfortable controller, at least in comparison to the newer Xbox and PS controllers.
Eh, I thought the Gamecube controller was very comfortable. There were things I didn't like about it, but it was comfortable to me.

The only minor issue I have with the Wii U's GamePad is that the top shoulder buttons (L and R) are a bit too far away from the analog stick/buttons.

The switch looks to have the same thing, but there's another issue. The analog stick is directly above the buttons (and vice-versa on the right side), instead of at about a 45-degree angle. Your thumb has to go straight up and down, rather than sliding over.
Old 10-23-16, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Not true. You will be able to stream it to your Vita from your PS4.

It also shows the lack of NEW game support if they are advertising a 5 year old game on a new system. But the Wii U had the same problem at launch so I guess it's not too much of a surprise.

The good news is I'm sure we'll see a bunch of phone and tablet games ported over.

Last edited by mattysemo247; 10-23-16 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-23-16, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 555 Likes on 406 Posts

I think it's best I stay out of this thread.
Old 10-23-16, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

probably, it got super fucking stupid kinda silly really fast
Old 10-23-16, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I'm sure some folks really long for portability in their console. I'm not one of them. I drive to work every day, am busy all day, then drive home (or drive to the gym, then home). On the weekends, I'm at home. I rarely travel except for vacations twice a year. I'm one of the Vita's biggest fans, but I rarely use it except for on airplane rides (and rainy vacation days). I haven't touched my 3DS in months (though my son loves playing Pokemon on his).
I have no doubt there will be some good/great games for this system, but I wonder if it would be worth dropping $300 on a system that's less powerful than the ones I already own for the benefit of portability that I would likely not use much at all. I think I'd rather buy an updated version of a system I already own to have a second console in the family room or bedroom.
I'll probably pass, as I have on the WiiU.
Old 10-23-16, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

How is this revolutionary and innovative? PS4 does this already with the Vita.
Old 10-23-16, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

No, it's not the same. You can't play PS4 games on the Vita outside of the house. And if you get the same game for the Vita and the PS4 you have to get another version for the portable system (except some Cross-Buy titles of smaller, non-retail games).
Old 10-23-16, 11:00 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
High school kids are known for their intelligence.

When it comes to video games, yes.
Old 10-23-16, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
No, it's not the same. You can't play PS4 games on the Vita outside of the house.
Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure I streamed something (Destiny maybe) when I was out of town for the weekend. I think both consoles just have to be on WiFi.

Edit: yep, here it is

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...kcDFs_W997s61w
Old 10-23-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I guess to me the Wii was their first gimmicky console. The Nintendo 64 and GameCube only really had the downfall of Nintendo not wanting to adopt optical media (or in the GameCube's case not normal optical media). I don't view their hardware as bad really but they did let themselves fall behind.
#NeverForget
Spoiler:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.