TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 10 Thread -- premieres 9/19/16

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-16, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Big Bang Theory (CBS) -- Season 10 Thread -- premieres 9/19/16

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Parsons and Cuoco are very close in real life, and they will decide together when the show ends.

Cuoco is just 30, but she has been working steadily on TV series (8 Simple Rules, Charmed, Big Bang) since she was 16. Marrying and divorcing within a year just shows how fucked up her personal life is, so she has to be ready for a break.

As for a Howard/Bernie/Raj spin-off, I wouldn't put it past CBS to try it, but I cannot imagine a less appealing combination of characters to star on a show of their own.
My nephew met her at a dinner party and I guess she is pretty goofy. Before she got married and divorced, she was engaged then broke it off. I don't think the ink was dry on the divorce before she had hooked up again. She appears to be someone who desperately wants a relationship then later evaluates if it's the right guy.

At this point I'm finding Howard and Bernadette are the two funniest characters I just don't know if I would watch a show just about them.
Old 11-07-16, 02:30 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Well all your spinoff ideas were wrong:

Warner Bros. TV and CBS are in the early stages of developing a spinoff of “The Big Bang Theory” that would revolve around the Sheldon Cooper character as a youth.

The project is nearing a script deal, sources tell Variety.

Jim Parsons, who plays Sheldon on the flagship series, is attached to executive produce the spinoff along with Chuck Lorre and “Big Bang” showrunner Steve Molaro. “Big Bang” co-creator/exec producer Bill Prady is likely to be on board as an exec producer as well.

Molaro will write the script focusing on Sheldon, the idiosyncratic and neurotic genius, as a youth growing up in Texas. The character’s colorful family and formative years in the Lone Star state have often been referenced on “Big Bang Theory.” Laurie Metcalf earned an Emmy nomination this year for her recurring guest star role as Sheldon’s mother, Mary Cooper.

CBS and Warner Bros. TV declined to comment.

“Big Bang Theory” is television’s top comedy, a major feat for a show in its 10th season. Warner Bros. and CBS are expected to begin discussions soon about a renewal deal that is anticipated to take the show through another two or three seasons. A prequel spinoff would give CBS a shot at extending the valuable “Big Bang” franchise.

Renewing “Big Bang” is an expensive investment, as the core cast members — Parsons, Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco — currently make $1 million per episode for their 24-episode seasons. A new series would come with a lower cost structure but capitalize on the built-in “Big Bang” fan base.

Sources caution, though, that the follow-up series is still in very early development, just at the script stage.
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/the-...on-1201910217/
Old 11-07-16, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So trying to launch something for Laurie Metcalf? I could be interested depending on what other actors are involved.
Old 11-07-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Wonder who'll play Sheldon; other than that, I can't see myself actually tuning in.
Old 11-07-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
So trying to launch something for Laurie Metcalf? I could be interested depending on what other actors are involved.
If they wait a few years, Laurie Metcalf can play Mee-Maw.
Old 11-07-16, 04:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure why you think she'd be on it. Young Sheldon's 60+ year old mother?
Old 11-07-16, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Not sure why you think she'd be on it. Young Sheldon's 60+ year old mother?
My thought was that it wouldn't be the fist time they had somebody older play somebody younger.
Old 11-07-16, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thought was that it wouldn't be the fist time they had somebody older play somebody younger.
60 year old Metcalf (and she'll be older when this thing kicks off) is going to play a 30 year old? Nope.
Old 11-07-16, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Something about this news feel off, not quite sure what makes me say this but this prequel attempt feels After Mash like, if you know what I mean. I vaguely remember watching some After Mash eps on TV back in the day, but I do not remember any details. Unlike Mash, where I can practically recite dialogue from even the lowest ranked episode on my list. I say they should treat The Big Bang Theory like Friends, let if end...no spin-offs. It is a beloved show by many and will play well in syndication for many years to come.
Old 11-07-16, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Something about this news feel off, not quite sure what makes me say this but this prequel attempt feels After Mash like, if you know what I mean. I vaguely remember watching some After Mash eps on TV back in the day, but I do not remember any details. Unlike Mash, where I can practically recite dialogue from even the lowest ranked episode on my list. I say they should treat The Big Bang Theory like Friends, let if end...no spin-offs. It is a beloved show by many and will play well in syndication for many years to come.
Agreed. FYI: Friends had a spin-off called Joey.
Old 11-07-16, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Finally caught up on this season. Penny and Leonard have been the highlight, everyone else has been pretty weak. No interest in lowest common denominator baby jokes/plots. Sooo tired.

Penny signing autographs is exactly where I wanted them to take her character a few years ago. Make her a minor sci-fi b-celeb. They could get far more mileage out of that than they have out of this prescription drug gig. Hell they've all but abandoned it anyway.

Originally Posted by Mike86
Honestly you might not be very far off. I could see Howard and Bernadette plus the baby as a spinoff with Raj as a recurring character. Since there's talks about a spinoff when the show ends maybe they're testing the waters a bit. In some ways it almost feels like two separate shows at the moment with the split of the characters.
You deride everything DC, but this you would watch?

While we're taking the weakest characters of a popular show, can we spin off Cam, Mitchell & Lily after Modern Family ends?
Old 11-07-16, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Ugh the young Sheldon show idea sounds fucking terrible. No interest whatsoever. The character is so played out at this point and he's evolved a bit at this point in the show. I can't even imagine how annoying a young version will be.

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
You deride everything DC, but this you would watch?

While we're taking the weakest characters of a popular show, can we spin off Cam, Mitchell & Lily after Modern Family ends?
I never said I was interested in watching it I just thought those characters would have been most likely for a spinoff. I guess I was off as I truly never saw this young Sheldon idea coming. I wouldn't be excited about either show but I'd definitely watch my idea over a series based on young Sheldon.

Last edited by Mike86; 11-07-16 at 11:39 PM.
Old 11-08-16, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I never said I was interested in watching it I just thought those characters would have been most likely for a spinoff.
ahh,

I guess I was off as I truly never saw this young Sheldon idea coming. I wouldn't be excited about either show but I'd definitely watch my idea over a series based on young Sheldon.
Sounds like the election!
Old 11-08-16, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The problem with the spin-off is that the character of Sheldon on paper isnt anything special or if anything quite annoying. The only reason the character and quite frankly the show itself is so successful and still going is due to the talents of Jim Parsons. Sometimes an actor is so good in a role that people tend to overestimate the writing or their liking of the character when without that specific actor doing it, then it doesn't work.

This is very similar to the Stifler situation with the American Pie movies. Seann William Scott basically stole the movie from the leads because he was perfect for the role. They tried to spin off his character using other actors in prequels and while they didn't do a bad job in mimicking SWS, it ultimately failed because lightning cannot typically be caught in a bottle more than once especially in a comedy. See also the Dumb and Dumber prequel. The actors didn't do a bad job but it ultimately was like watching karaoke.

In action movies/tv shows people are generally but not always more willing to have another actor play the same role but in a younger version. At least from what I can recall, if people have examples of a prequel comedy sitcom with a beloved main character that worked as much as the original, then please educate me and maybe I will be proven wrong. I just can't think of any successful examples.
Old 11-10-16, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Gee-ZUS, that plot with Raj and the cleaning woman was the worst.
Old 11-11-16, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They certainly seem to be running out of things for him to do. On the other hand, he's the only loveable loser left. The show is definitely losing steam.
Old 11-11-16, 07:05 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I think the fact that they are even entertaining the spinoff means it is coming to end. On the other hand, I really would be surprised if CBS knew it could be the end and wouldn't want to market it as THE FINAL SEASON. So, with that, I imagine they will negotiate contracts for at least one more farewell season.
Old 11-11-16, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dex14
I think the fact that they are even entertaining the spinoff means it is coming to end. On the other hand, I really would be surprised if CBS knew it could be the end and wouldn't want to market it as THE FINAL SEASON. So, with that, I imagine they will negotiate contracts for at least one more farewell season.
It will probably be a shortened farewell season like Friends... 10 eps or so.
Old 11-11-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

I certainly didn't expect a whole episode of Sheldon wanting to make a baby with Amy while Amy wanting to run from him. And so I guess Raj is gonna fall for every woman who even looks his way it seems.
Old 11-11-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

That was a fun episode. Flipping the Amy/Sheldon dynamic was damn funny.
Old 11-11-16, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 332 Likes on 175 Posts

So Raj is like George Costanza now, hooking up with the cleaning lady? "Was that wrong?"
Old 11-12-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spin off Raj now! That was terrible.

The whole Amy/Sheldon thing would have worked better if she told them she wanted to get married first. Because it really didn't make sense for her to never say why. Maybe that is coming soon.
Old 11-18-16, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did I miss something? Why were they in Ellen's audience at the end??
Old 11-18-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Did I miss something? Why were they in Ellen's audience at the end??
Raj had mentioned being on the Ellen to Sheldon earlier in the episode.

Loved Hawking's cameo and he always thought it would be cool if there was a Hawking remote control toy. The comments about Penny cutting her hair were pretty funny too. I don't ever need to see the rest of the episode ever again.
Old 11-18-16, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Raj had mentioned being on the Ellen to Sheldon earlier in the episode.

Loved Hawking's cameo and he always thought it would be cool if there was a Hawking remote control toy. The comments about Penny cutting her hair were pretty funny too. I don't ever need to see the rest of the episode ever again.
It wasn't much of a cameo. It looked like they used old footage of him, and any computer can do that voice. Unless he's physically in the room with them, it's kind of half-assed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.