Black Lightning (DC Comics) -- From EP Greg Berlanti -- In Development

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Black Lightning (DC Comics) -- From EP Greg Berlanti -- In Development

Old 09-02-16, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Black Lightning (DC Comics) -- From EP Greg Berlanti -- In Development

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I've always thought Cyborg got picked by the movie division and Johns because they saw him as black Iron Man.
I thought the same thing and I hated the way the kept promoting him and changing his origin. To me he will always be a TT and never be the guy out in front.
Old 09-02-16, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

It did help that Cyborg's profile was raised being on the successful Teen Titans cartoon.
Old 09-02-16, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I always liked Black Lightning too. I'm surprised they didn't go with a live-action Static though, as he's part of the mainstream DCU now (correct me if I'm wrong) and would attract younger audiences- a better fit for CW.

Between the two I always liked Black Lightning better.
Old 09-08-16, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Since there is nothing worth watching on the CW during the Summer, Black Lightning would be good
summer series for them.
Old 09-08-16, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

For a character like Black Lighting I'd rather have 8 or 9 good episodes than what happened to Legends of Tomorrow.
Old 09-08-16, 08:49 AM
Banned

Static would be his nephew of course.
Old 09-08-16, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,628 Likes on 2,603 Posts

http://deadline.com/2016/09/black-li...il-1201815368/

Picked up by FOX for a Pilot order.
Old 09-08-16, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Berlanti is a busy, busy man. He's also developing a Booster Gold movie. Greg, call me. I have an idea for a series with me and Timothy Hunter.
Old 09-08-16, 01:26 PM

Received 4,554 Likes on 3,089 Posts

I just don't get why The CW doesn't just pick up every DC property he pitches. Even if it is for small episode orders. I know their schedule is already filled...and they probably don't want to become "the DC network"... but still...
Old 09-08-16, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
I just don't get why The CW doesn't just pick up every DC property he pitches. Even if it is for small episode orders. I know their schedule is already filled...and they probably don't want to become "the DC network"... but still...
It's very likely that Fox suggested this idea to Warner and Berlanti in the first place. Fox execs likely suggested they were looking for a black-driven superhero property, which they could pair with Empire and/or Gotham. That is usually how these things work. The CW was likely never a player for Black Lightning.

Fox had likely never heard of Black Lightning as a character. That is where someone like Berlanti steps in with the right creative team for the project.
Old 09-09-16, 05:44 AM

It's very likely that Fox suggested this idea to Warner and Berlanti in the first place. Fox execs likely suggested they were looking for a black-driven superhero property, which they could pair with Empire and/or Gotham. That is usually how these things work. The CW was likely never a player for Black Lightning.

Fox had likely never heard of Black Lightning as a character. That is where someone like Berlanti steps in with the right creative team for the project.
I get that. But if you read the original article, it says the idea was being pitched to networks.
Old 09-09-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by ytrez
Cyborg has been in the Teen Titans cartoons for years so kids are familiar with him, some have "grown up" with him.
We now have a generation of kids that grew up with Anakin Skywalker as their 'Jedi.' That doesn't mean what he was in was good or that he is a decent character to begin with.

Same applies to Cyborg. He definitely feels like the Franklin of DC.

Spoiler:
Old 02-02-17, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 119 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks like they will be shooting the pilot in March.

http://www.cbr.com/report-foxs-black...ming-in-march/
Old 02-02-17, 02:27 AM
Banned

Black superhero show on Fox? Shocking.
Old 02-02-17, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by dex14

EXCLUSIVE: Lightning may strike three times, with a third Greg Berlanti-produced comic book series developed/launched at another network heading to the CW.

I’ve learned that Black Lightning, the high-profile drama based on the DC character, which had a big production commitment at Fox, is on the move and likely to land at the CW. The project comes from Greg Berlanti, king of the CW’s DC universe, The Game and Being Mary Jane creator Mara Brock Akil and her husband Salim Akil. Discussions are still underway but I hear the drama would likely get a pilot order.

This is a swift turnaround for the project, which was shopped to other networks by Warner Bros. TV immediately after Fox opted not to go to pilot, with the CW emerging as the likely new home. I hear Fox brass ultimately decided that the superhero show was not a good fit into its already crowded genre drama space that includes the DC/WBTV series Gotham and Lucifer, Seth MacFarlane’s upcoming space dramedy, and two pilots, the X-Men-themed drama written by Matt Nix and The Passage, all from 20th TV.

Similarly, Archie Comics drama Riverdale, also originally developed at Fox, migrated to the CW, where it went to series which just premiered to strong reviews. And last May, DC superhero drama series Supergirl moved from CBS to the CW where it already has been renewed for next season. Like Black Lightning, the two series are produced by Greg Berlanti.

The CW is home of Berlanti Prods.’s four DC/WBTV superhero series — Supergirl, Arrow, The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow, which Berlanti also co-created. That makes the network a suitable home for Black Lightning, which would give the CW’s DC universe its first major African American superhero. Black Lightning would be the only black superhero toplining his own broadcast series and the second currently on TV, joining Marvel’s Luke Cage on Netflix.

Additionally, while the focus of the series is on Jefferson Pierce, aka Black Lightning, he has younger daughters who also are main characters, an area that would likely be explored further for the CW.

Written by the husband-and-wife duo of Akil and Brock Akil based on the DC character created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden, Black Lightning centers on Jefferson Pierce. He made his choice: He hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hellbent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend Black Lightning.

Akil and Brock Akil executive produce with Berlanti Prods.’ Berlanti and Sarah Schechter.

The CW president Mark Pedowitz had said at TCA that the network had no ongoing plans for a new DC superhero series but had always left the door open for unforeseen opportunities, like Supergirl becoming available last May, which the network also swooped in to pick up.

Pierce aka Black Lightning was one of DC Comics’ first major African-American superheroes, making his debut in 1977. In the books, Jefferson has two daughters, both of whom have followed in his superhero footsteps: Anissa Pierce, aka Thunder, who is a member of the Outsiders, and Jennifer Pierce, aka Lightning, recruited by the Justice Society of America.

Brock Akil created comedy series Girlfriends and its spinoff The Game as well as drama Being Mary Jane. Akil was the director on all three and executive produced The Game and Being Mary Jane.
http://deadline.com/2017/02/black-li...ti-1201901139/
Old 02-02-17, 10:10 PM
Banned

Black Lightning vs Livewire incoming...
Old 02-03-17, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

http://ew.com/tv/2017/02/03/black-li...erlanti-pilot/

Officially going to the CW now.
Old 02-04-17, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That is a lot of superheroes on the CW. I can't believe Black Lightning would be anything more than a half-season show at first on the CW. Arrow is getting up there in years.
Old 02-04-17, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Frequency and No Tomorrow aren't coming back. So that's 2 timeslots that are free for Black Lightning should it get picked up.

The glut of Super Hero shows on The CW is probably really hurting their development department. They really can't greenlight too many new Pilots since the chances of them getting picked up to series is so small with almost no shot of getting a full season order.
Old 02-24-17, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk God

http://ew.com/tv/2017/02/24/black-li...ress-williams/

Cress Williams cast as the lead

Old 02-25-17, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He looks old as shit.
Old 02-25-17, 10:14 PM

That guy annoys me.
Old 02-25-17, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I dunno. BL is really scraping the bottom of the DC barrel.
Old 02-25-17, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Thrush
He looks old as shit.
He's 46

He was previously on a CW show "Hart of Dixie"

Surprised that they are developing a CW superhero show with a 40-something lead. That's kind of unheard of for a CW show. They must be developing a supporting cast with mostly millennials.
Old 02-26-17, 12:57 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This is getting ridic

There really is getting too much superhero stuff on TV

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.