Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Red Box sold to private equity group -- The end is near?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Red Box sold to private equity group -- The end is near?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts
Re: Red Box sold to private equity group -- The end is near?

Originally Posted by Trevor
$2-4 in gas? I don't think people are driving 60 miles just to rent a movie.

In my ~1000 rentals I doubt any were trips just to Redbox, but even if they were, I have about 10 kiosks within 6 miles.

And those hazard light customers were probably people stopping on their way to or from somewhere else.
Most people don't have cars that get 60 miles to a gallon of gas. Norm is still in the teens. And if they are going to a redbox that is, lets say, three miles away, that is a trip and return to pick up and a trip and return to drop off. So 12 miles, or pretty close to one gallon of fuel.
Old 08-01-16, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Hollywood is laughing to the bank.
Are they really laughing at people paying a monthly fee to Netflix rather than a la carte purchasing or renting, though? They're trying to set up their own services, but no one wants their content split over a bunch of different services.
Old 08-01-16, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
They're trying to set up their own services, but no one wants their content split over a bunch of different services.
Interestingly people seem to be OK with this for TV-type content. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO, Showtime, Starz...etc. Cord cutters have to maintain separate accounts for all of these.

I wonder if someone isn't already working on a middleman service to give the user one account which can login to all these services and present one bill to the user. It would be kind of funny if things went that way since that would resemble a cable subscription.
Old 08-01-16, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Average VHS rental in the late 80s and 90s was $2. I was pretty sure Redbox would increase their $1 prices after they put a few video stores out of business, they couldn't have been making much profit on that.
Old 08-01-16, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
Are they really laughing at people paying a monthly fee to Netflix rather than a la carte purchasing or renting, though? They're trying to set up their own services, but no one wants their content split over a bunch of different services.
Netflix has moved further and further away from licensing Hollywood content aside from a few splashy purchases like the Marvel TV stuff. That is why they've moved to producing their own exclusives and licensing independent garbage movies.
Old 08-01-16, 05:18 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Most people don't have cars that get 60 miles to a gallon of gas. Norm is still in the teens. And if they are going to a redbox that is, lets say, three miles away, that is a trip and return to pick up and a trip and return to drop off. So 12 miles, or pretty close to one gallon of fuel.
Yes, but again, I personally would never make a trip just to Redbox. Most people make at least two trips a day in their car (57 if you have kids), and Redbox pickups and drop-offs are in these daily trips. You can't put the cost of that gas into the rental.

But yes, if you drove 12 or more miles with a gas guzzler just for a rental, you're an idiot.

Heck, I walked for a lot of mine, the closest kiosks are less than 2 miles away.
Old 08-01-16, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Interestingly people seem to be OK with this for TV-type content. Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, HBO, Showtime, Starz...etc. Cord cutters have to maintain separate accounts for all of these.

I wonder if someone isn't already working on a middleman service to give the user one account which can login to all these services and present one bill to the user. It would be kind of funny if things went that way since that would resemble a cable subscription.
Amazon Prime is starting to do something like this, where you can purchase "add on" subscriptions through Prime for Showtime, Starz and some other channels. So all you have to do is log into Prime and you can access these other channels if you've subscribed to them.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Netflix has moved further and further away from licensing Hollywood content aside from a few splashy purchases like the Marvel TV stuff. That is why they've moved to producing their own exclusives and licensing independent garbage movies.
Netflix Canada has overall crappy selection compared to the US, but at least they managed to obtain pay TV rights to Disney, Paramount, 20th Century Fox and Dreamworks, so we get those films eight months after theatrical release date. I think we got Force Awakens on Neflix before anywhere else (not that I cared, I already bought the Blu-ray). Since I'm buying far less physical media, this works for me.
Old 08-02-16, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, but again, I personally would never make a trip just to Redbox. Most people make at least two trips a day in their car (57 if you have kids), and Redbox pickups and drop-offs are in these daily trips. You can't put the cost of that gas into the rental.

But yes, if you drove 12 or more miles with a gas guzzler just for a rental, you're an idiot.

Heck, I walked for a lot of mine, the closest kiosks are less than 2 miles away.
I agree that most people don't make a special trip just to go to the redbox, but it does happen. The point is that it doesn't take a "gas guzzler" to add significant cost to that rental. In the average car, your 2 mile trip could potentially burn half a gallon of gas in picking up and returning the movie. Depending on the cost of gas, that could be adding $1-2 to the cost of that rental. Even more if the kiosk is further away.
Old 08-02-16, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
I agree that most people don't make a special trip just to go to the redbox, but it does happen. The point is that it doesn't take a "gas guzzler" to add significant cost to that rental. In the average car, your 2 mile trip could potentially burn half a gallon of gas in picking up and returning the movie. Depending on the cost of gas, that could be adding $1-2 to the cost of that rental. Even more if the kiosk is further away.
Let's say you're paying $2.70/gallon for gas and your car gets 20 miles/gallon.

This works out to $.135 cents per mile driven.

I'm sure in most reasonably populated cities there is a Redbox somewhere within a 3 mile radius.

The round-trip cost of returning a DVD to Redbox would be $.81 cents in gas - and that's if you're making a specific trip.

One can always factor in the "cost of convenience" logic such as "I make $40 an hour so taking 30 minutes out of my day to rent a movie is going to cost me $20 worth of time - screw-it, I'll download!"

The studios LOVE this logic.

...of course watching a two-hour movie is going to cost you $80 worth of your time - hope it's a good movie

Last edited by orangerunner; 08-02-16 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

why does everyone think redbox will go away? generally speaking, a company isn't going to buy another to shut it down. especially one that has a lock on this specific type of market.
Old 08-02-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Yea. Read the first sentence. They're not buying them to shut them down and scrap their assets. They're buying them because the price is right and they think they can profit. That often happens when they look at the books, and see places to lower overhead and/or increase revenue. Apollo could have one of a million things up their sleeve to make Redbox more profitable.

Apollo Global Management could become the nation’s leading operator of DVD rental kiosks as the result of a $1.6 billion (including debt) agreement announced this morning to buy Outerwall, which owns the struggling Redbox business.
Old 08-02-16, 06:58 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Redbox is also going back to a new streaming service called Redbox Digital.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/22/12...-service-tests
Old 08-03-16, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by orangerunner

I'm sure in most reasonably populated cities there is a Redbox somewhere within a 3 mile radius.

The round-trip cost of returning a DVD to Redbox would be $.81 cents in gas - and that's if you're making a specific trip.
Yes. And the round trip cost of picking up the movie is also $.81.
Old 08-04-16, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

It's odd in a struggling economy that people still get sucked-in by the convenience of a $4-$6 stream. When "Whatever, it's only five bucks" is said six times a month, that turns into $360 a year. That's a lot of $1.50 Redbox rentals.
I agree with this. A $5 stream is like what everybody was complaining about being a ripoff back in the Blockbuster days for the cost of a one night rental. Now all of a sudden it's ok?

I would miss Redbox if it goes away. I've probably rented over 500 movies over the last few years either for free or discounted. I have 3 machines less than 5 minutes from home so pickup and dropoff haven't been a problem.

Heck, even if I paid full price I could watch 4 Redbox movies for the cost of 1 VUDU or OnDemand stream.
Old 08-05-16, 09:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can still see the value of Redbox, but honestly, if you have a decent library close to you, there's very little reason to pay for the rentals. At the libraries I use, even the blockbuster films have plenty of copies available and if not, it's just a few days wait.

If there's anything I need to see immediately, I would have seen it in a theater.
Old 08-05-16, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

My library STILL doesn't have Blu-Rays. Remembering that I used to ride my BIKE to rent movies most of the time! So I got cheap entertainment, exercise and no fuel costs!
Old 08-05-16, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, I don't know where these magical libraries are that carry enough new release Blu's to sustain me.

My library has 4 copies of the Sarah Jessica Parker classic "I Don't Know How She Does It" on Blu. And the titles go downhill from there.
Old 08-05-16, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by redcon1
I can still see the value of Redbox, but honestly, if you have a decent library close to you, there's very little reason to pay for the rentals. At the libraries I use, even the blockbuster films have plenty of copies available and if not, it's just a few days wait.

If there's anything I need to see immediately, I would have seen it in a theater.
Wish I lived close to your library. I read stories about some having new release Xbox One games too. Mine has neither new release movies or video games.
Old 08-05-16, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

If you guys live near the Torrance Public Library out here in L.A. - they have an extensive Blu-ray collection. I know someone that works there and the librarian in charge of the media collections is a BD fan and always throws grant money/purchasing funds into expanding their collection. I'd go but they're way too far to go just for a few BD's.
Old 08-06-16, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I was lucky as my local library was quite technologically progressive. In 2005 they introduced one of the first DVD kiosks.

You would check-in online at home (or through the library computers) and reserve the titles you want which would allow you a five-hour window in which to pick them up from the library.

After five hours, if you don't pick it up, the reservation ends and it can be reserved by someone else. You were allowed up to four titles on one library card and could keep them three days.

New releases were constantly out so you had to just time it right after someone returns the disc you want to the kiosk.

Bit of a hassle but with a bit of patience and good timing you had a free rental rather than paying $6 at Blockbuster.
Old 08-14-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

My library has a pretty poor selection onsite, but I think I can have them order in requests from other libraries in the system. I haven't bothered to really look into it though.
Old 08-14-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I was lucky as my local library was quite technologically progressive. In 2005 they introduced one of the first DVD kiosks.

You would check-in online at home (or through the library computers) and reserve the titles you want which would allow you a five-hour window in which to pick them up from the library.

After five hours, if you don't pick it up, the reservation ends and it can be reserved by someone else. You were allowed up to four titles on one library card and could keep them three days.

New releases were constantly out so you had to just time it right after someone returns the disc you want to the kiosk.

Bit of a hassle but with a bit of patience and good timing you had a free rental rather than paying $6 at Blockbuster.

We have those kiosks. We have 3 of them and the standard collection that's filed separately.

Our kiosks give folks 24hrs to pick up the dvds. Folks can also check out up to 20 dvds at a time from our library. They get 7 days and can renew items 3 more times. Assuming no one puts a hold on them they'll have 4 weeks total if their renewals go through.
Old 08-17-16, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Sometimes I go on a "Redbox run" where I incorporate a stop at one of their kiosks in my running. I'm sure I look kinda goofy carrying a movie in my hand on the way back. But hey, I'm getting my exercise, renting a DVD, *and* I'm not burning any gas.

My local library has a great selection of Blus and DVDs, and that's where I usually get movies from. Redbox is next if it is a lower brow/less popular movie that the library doesn't carry. (And still I've only ever paid for maybe 5% of my rentals thanks to all of the codes during their golden era.)

I'm not into digital rentals at all. (Yet.) They're too expensive and my DSL internet connection is relatively lousy for what I pay.
Old 08-20-16, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,244 Likes on 855 Posts

One can always factor in the "cost of convenience" logic such as "I make $40 an hour so taking 30 minutes out of my day to rent a movie is going to cost me $20 worth of time - screw-it, I'll download!"

The studios LOVE this logic.

...of course watching a two-hour movie is going to cost you $80 worth of your time - hope it's a good movie
You forgot to use the loaded labor cost. You need to account for comp/sick time, earned vacation, overhead costs for administrative support, supervisory time involved, training, travel/transportation time, tools and equipment, comp meals, and a service anniversary gift. You owe me $2.87 for reading that and responding.
Old 08-21-16, 05:42 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I've never rented videos from a Redbox and I don't download or stream. If it's a movie I really want to see I'll wait until I can get a good price on it and I'll buy it. 2 factors: I'm not in any big hurry to see movies, and I'm a cheap bastard so I don't pay any more than I absolutely have to on movies (I never pay new release prices unless I know I'm getting a good deal). I've rented 3 movies in the last 4 years (the 3 Hobbit movies, prior to the EE releases) and I rented them from Family Video. I've never understood why people subject themselves to a life where they can't spend a few moments of their precious time to walk into a video store and rent a movie. I couldn't live like that. Also, there are so few movies being made these days that I really want to see that badly, usually they're movies I want to add to my collection.....eventually.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.