Last edit by: Trevor
Print Wikipost

Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 07:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: Twilight Time Blu-Ray Deals

Wow, I'm very interested. I'll be watching tomorrow.
Old 08-16-16, 07:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 909 Likes on 769 Posts

I don't really need any TT's, but that is a sweet deal...
Old 08-16-16, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Sweet !! This is the ONLY way TT can move volume inventory. Hopefully there are some great titles..@ $10 a pop, this is the lowest ever TT pricing, isn't it ?

Update: Guess I got too excited. But the sale's ONLY on these titles below - buy seven of one or one each of these titles:

BELOVED INFIDEL
COVER GIRL
HIGH TIME
MINDWARP
PONY SOLDIER
THE DISAPPEARANCE
THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN
THE RAINS OF RANCHIPUR
THE SONG OF BERNADETTE
THE SOUND AND THE FURY
THE WAYWARD BUS
VIOLENT SATURDAY (DVD)
WOMAN OBSESSED (DVD)
THE KREMLIN LETTER (DVD)

Last edited by laidbacklarkin; 08-16-16 at 08:15 PM.
Old 08-16-16, 09:02 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

Looks like their all time slowest sellers for ten dollars but still a good deal. Kremlin Letter was their first release I think. It's a real popular one.
Old 08-17-16, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 614 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by g
Kremlin Letter was their first release I think. It's a real popular one.
It's actually an excellent movie, but they practically drove people away from it with that strange sleeve imagery.
Old 08-17-16, 06:03 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Looks like their all time slowest sellers for ten dollars but still a good deal. Kremlin Letter was their first release I think. It's a real popular one.

It certainly not unusual to put your slowest sellers on sale to move them. If they could have sold them for $20 or $30 a pop, they would have and these would have sold out already. This is a good old fashion clearance sale. The fact that these did not sell is not an indication of the quality of the films or of the transfers.
Old 08-17-16, 06:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whew! When I saw this post resurrected I was afraid I would be emptying my wallet again. I am thankful that none of these titles were on my radar. It's a great deal for those interested, but September is going to be an expensive month so I am relieved this is not a catalog wide Twilight Time sale.
Old 08-17-16, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If anybody needs an endorsement for THE DISAPPEARANCE, you got one here. It's an excellent movie and well worth the $20 I paid for it. Can't speak on the others though. There is no way I could cobble together 7 of those, even at $70. Currently, I'm just watching stock levels of Russia House and Hound of the Baskervilles, hoping for a sale but prepared to get both of them when necessary.
Old 08-17-16, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Kedrix
If anybody needs an endorsement for THE DISAPPEARANCE, you got one here. It's an excellent movie and well worth the $20 I paid for it.
I'll second that, and not because it was shot and set (for a change) in Canada, either. I'd also push Cover Girl, Rains of Ranchipur and Song of Bernadette. I also grabbed Wayward Bus in the last sale (man . . .) but haven't watched it yet. Hoping to clean up on the rest of these, though, as most have been parked in my wish list for ages but I could never justify pulling the trigger sight unseen. Thankfully, resale values up here are excellent if they don't turn out to be keepers.

I suppose the only problem with a sale like this is it will probably have most of us watching those stock levels even more intently on the assumption that they might repeat a deal like this on the next batch of slow movers or license expirations or what have you.

Last edited by Brian T; 08-17-16 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-17-16, 01:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hariseldon
...I really will be surprised if either Russia House of Hound of the Baskervilles sells out before the next 2 or 3 sales. If I had to guess it may be around Christmas/Jan like this year or at worst the Anniversary Sale next March/April, but there is almost plenty of warning about low stock items well before they sell out.

Many of the low stock items have been on that list for 12+ months and neither of those items are the style that tends to sell off quickly...
They could have been smarter by offering a deal on the rest of the catalog titles when you bought at least one title or two from the group. I could put together a couple from that narrow list but there's certainly not seven of them that I want to own. Funny, I am also watching inventory levels on a few titles including "Russia House," and especially "Hound of the Baskervilles." I was sure that "John Carpenters Vampires" would disappear within just a few months but you can still grab it... The only one I may go ahead and order soon is "The Hound of the Baskervilles." Being among one of my favorite Hammer Films' productions, I would feel especially remorseful for missing out. However, it would probably be enough motivation to finally buy a region-free player. I've been thinking about doing it for awhile now. The Arrow release will probably be available for quite some time.

When and if "Moby Dick" is released, it's a day one purchase—not going to gamble on that title.

Last edited by AaronSch; 08-17-16 at 01:34 PM.
Old 08-17-16, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The Song Of Bernadette is very moving for Catholics.
Old 08-17-16, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

The transfer itself is rather ordinary for The Song of Bernadette.
Old 08-17-16, 03:06 PM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Its live. For anyone ordering remember to change shipping to media mail to save a few bucks. Cover Girl is one of the Twilight Time titles that does not have an isolated score track.

You can order multiple copies of a film in order to reach 7 items. In case you have friends who you can order with or need a gift for someone.
Old 08-17-16, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Made three bundles for $228.50 US shipped (just shy of $300 CDN). Got doubles of quite a few, including stuff I already own (which I guess makes them triples in a sense), for previously mentioned reasons.
Old 08-17-16, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian T
Got doubles of quite a few, including stuff I already own (which I guess makes them triples in a sense), for previously mentioned reasons.
What? I backtracked the thread, but couldn't find what you were referring to.

On a separate note, that "I Could Go On Singing" promo, signed by the producer, did not seem to appeal to many buyers. Forty-two minutes later and there are still around 33 left. I picked up one, a bundle of 7, Sleepless in Seattle, and American Buffalo.
Old 08-17-16, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by izatright
On a separate note, that "I Could Go On Singing" promo, signed by the producer, did not seem to appeal to many buyers. Forty-two minutes later and there are still around 33 left. I picked up one, a bundle of 7, Sleepless in Seattle, and American Buffalo.
That signed title appeals to me, but I placed an order in the recent sale and either I didn't know about it or it wasn't available then. Cover Girl is the only title that interests me in this promotion, but I already have it, and of course haven't watched it.
Old 08-17-16, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

The signed title only went up for sale today. Most of these promotions tend to be very short lived and you have to place your order (118-149 minimum) then add the promo copy while it's in stock in order to get it,
Ah, thanks! I'll probably skip it.
Old 08-17-16, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

If anyone is doing the 7 movie thing and don't want 7, let me know. I really only have an interest in Mindwarp after looking at all the films but I could help someone or a group get to seven if need be. Just PM here. Thanks.
Old 08-17-16, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by izatright
What? I backtracked the thread, but couldn't find what you were referring to.
Resale values for TT discs on Amazon.ca's Marketplace, which are rather exorbitant because that's pretty much the only way to buy them up here. Most of the high prices originate with U.S.-based sellers, so when I do sell off TT discs (which I always purchase during their sales) I can undercut these guys by a country mile and at least break even or maybe make a modest profit (obviously moreso on these $10 titles).

TT does ship to Canada, but they add a flat $25 'Registered Mail' fee because of a history of lost parcels. So, for example, shipping my 21 discs to Canada would've cost me $27 US plus another $25 US on top of that; shipping to my US address was $18.50. For other Canadian buyers without that kind of access, there's also the risk of damages during shipment (especially on single discs in bubble mailers) and the expense, delays and futility of trying to return something back across the border for an exchange or refund.
Old 08-17-16, 07:57 PM

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Obligatory whine over S/H of $10.15 to ship 8 BDs !!

COME ON, SA, media mail should cost you no more than $5
Old 08-17-16, 08:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

$10.15 doesn't sound so bad (based on my previous orders with SAE). In their defense, CD's typically come wrapped in their own bubblewrap sleeves and box is filled out with clean styrofoam peanuts...and a new shipping box. Yes, actual shipping is $5 or $6...the other $4 is the HANDLING part of the S/H. --Peter
Old 08-17-16, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Question -- have there really been lost packages? I've really never heard of anyone.

Is the extra charge required now -- at one point it was suggested, but not required though it became "Your Own Risk"

Most people have said if you request a shipping box in the Request Box at checkout instead of bubble mailer for 1 or 2 items they're usually willing to do so
It does happen. Not constantly, but enough that it certainly makes me hesitant to have stuff shipped here instead of to my American addresses. Not sure why I have fewer problems there. You're right about the Registered Mail fee being optional, but the fact that it appears in a Huge Red Warning Banner across the top of the page when Canadian (and other?) buyers are checking out suggests that Screen Archives has run into the problem often enough to justify providing the option.

My experience with the box mailers on single discs (a few of which I ordered in the early days of the TT label, before the sales began, as well as many soundtrack CDs over the years) was hit or miss but generally ok -- sometimes they used them when requested, other times I got the bubble mailer anyway -- so it was probably just luck that most of those discs survived the gauntlet of two different courier/postal companies and whatever the various customs operations decided to do with them. They've been much more consistent with the cardboard in recent years, though.

Mind you, lost and damaged orders from outside Canada make up a teensy fraction of those I do have shipped here, but those experiences are enough to make me pause for some mental math every time I consider having another one sent up here. In some cases the companies are kind enough to ship replacements for free (Amazon UK is phenomenal in this regard, and Arrow UK is almost as good), but Screen Archives being as small as they are, I suppose they probably have no choice but to at least offer the $25 Registered Mail option with the proviso that if you don't take it and your stuff does get lost en route, they're off the hook for costly replacements from limited stock. It's an understandable form of insurance, really, but it's still disconcerting to be faced with it when you select Canada as a destination, and I can imagine that it discourages many other Canadians from even bothering when the risk is so prominently described alongside the fee. As someone who's in the U.S. virtually every other weekend, I can at least bridge that gap for a few folks, and hopefully make a few bucks for the effort.

The signed promo title only went up today. Most of these promotions tend to be very short lived and you have to place your order (118-149 minimum) then add the promo copy while it's in stock in order to get it,
By the way, thanks to those who brought up the signed copy of I Could Go On Singing being compatible with items from this sale. Figured it wouldn't be when I was filling my cart, so I didn't bother. Not a movie high on my must-see list, frankly, but everything's worth a shot, so I canceled my earlier order and placed it again, only this time adding another "bundle" of 7 discs to bring the total to just over $300 shipped for 29 discs (a couple of single BDs, doubles on the rest, and triples on the three DVD-only editions -- lest anyone think I'm actually cleaning them out, I'm clearly not. )

Last edited by Brian T; 08-17-16 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-18-16, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks for the complete response. I read the TT/SAE thread fairly regularly and just hadn't read of any lost packages or at least not very often at all.
This could be in part be due to us foreigners being something of a minority around here, especially those of us who can actually buy Twilight Time movies without issues . . .

As small as they are an infrequent as lost packages are I bet they'd feel obligated do replace it esp if you are a long time repeat customer and it's not your 3rd lost package in a year. A first time large order from a PO Box(or equivalent) in Argentina declared lost aggressively would likely get turned down as a bit suspicious
It does make one wonder just how much loss smaller (and even bigger) companies are willing to build into their business model when it comes to shipping outside their country of origin, especially without tracking. They really have to trust that the person claiming that an unregistered parcel has gone missing is telling the truth. In that sense, I do understand Screen Archives' additional fee for Registered Mail and refusal to replace uninsured orders, and much like insurance the fee allows them to cover replacements while undoubtedly building a sizeable financial cushion from all the insured orders that DO make it through successfully. Still, for a lot of Canadian folks, the thought of those fees quickly kill any savings on smaller orders or sale items, especially on TT discs which rarely drop below $20 US a pop (present sale excepted, of course), so if they don't have border access or are leery of taking the risk, they can easily feel kinda stuck.

Experience taught me early on that the ideal situation would be to live in the United States, order from companies there, and have it shipped there, and while I can't really do the first one, the other two have proven remarkably easy over the years. I'd say it's even encouraged: drive around any U.S. border city, especially in Michigan or the New York/Niagara region and you'll see countless "parcel pick-up" locations such as this one (which is not actually one that I use, btw, but it's extremely popular with Toronto folks, including my girlfriend) that helpfully double as street addresses when it's not possible to ship to Canada (or to U.S. P.O. boxes). Sometimes these are dedicated warehouse-facilities, other times they're in the back of convenience stores or even in people's homes, so I'm guessing pretty much anyone can set up shop, and at $3 - $5 per average parcel held (and considerably more for larger stuff), it surely makes for a tidy profit. As a Canuck movie collector, I have to admit I wouldn't have the phenomenal library that I do if it wasn't for places like this and the USPS.

Spoilered purely in case of boredom:
Spoiler:
On a semi-related note, I ran into a sort of similar problem with Arrow UK last year. They ship parcels weighing up to 2kg (I believe) via Royal Mail, which usually gets to Canada (and presumably the U.S.?) without any additional fees, but parcels over 2kg apparently must be shipped via DHL (presumably for tracking). In one case, a Royal Mail parcel did go missing, and Arrow replaced it no questions asked, even though it surely impacted their bottom line and not mine. But when they ship via DHL, customs/brokerage fees are all but guaranteed to be piled on once the package gets here. I purchased a big bundle of Blu-rays in one of Arrow's 50% off web sales a couple years back, thought I'd saved some serious coin, and then got hit with $56 CDN in fees to release it once it got here. I inquired with both DHL and Arrow about doing a "return to sender" but that wasn't an option, so I ponied up. When I told their rep it might help if Arrow made it clear on their website that heavier overseas parcels would ship via DHL and very likely be hit with full duties/taxes/brokerage/whatever, she said they'd look into posting something, but I doubt anything ever came of it, and I've since made sure to build smaller orders during their sales to avoid them using DHL. On the positive side, the rep was kind enough to add Arrow Points to my account that exceeded the fees I had to pay. But in the end, much like with Screen Archives, I suppose they'd be perfectly within their rights to post a warning that lost packages shipped via Royal Mail will not be replaced unless an additional insurance fee is paid. I'm grateful that they haven't gone that route yet, obviously, and so far every other package I've ordered from them has arrived here free and clear. But you always wonder . . .
Old 08-29-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Looks like 'bundle' offerings SONG OF BERNADETTE and HIGH TIME are now out of stock.
Old 08-29-16, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't find either title at TT or SAE. Seems like they're OOP, but strange that it wasn't announced at either TT's FB or their website.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.