DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: Vinegar Syndrome 'Half Way to Black Friday' 50% Sale

Thanks for that!
Old 05-26-17, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I try to keep up with these niche labels, and thought I was on top of VS's releases, but I had no clue that they had released Sweet Sugar!

That was probably at the top of my "whoever the hell owns this I wish they would release it" Grindhouse list.

I couldn't pull the trigger fast enough.
Old 05-26-17, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I try to keep up with these niche labels, and thought I was on top of VS's releases, but I had no clue that they had released Sweet Sugar!
Along with Red Mob (1993), it was one of the two secret titles that were teased on Social Media all week leading up to this sale.
Old 05-26-17, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was just as surprised at RED MOB. That's a complete left field surprise. I remember reviewing that -- in print! -- back when it was just another one-off VHS that most video stores might have had one lonely copy, if that, buried between all the hot new mainstream releases. Never would've guessed it would have ANY lasting cult appeal, although it's easily Russia's answer to Hollywood's big Stallone-style action blockbusters of the era (particularly RAMBO III), and well-packed with large scale action sequences. The helicopter dogfight mentioned in VS's synopsis was truly something to behold. Not sure I need to own it all these decades later, but what an odd surprise!

That 3-DVD trailer comp looks like a great deal at $7.99, though!

Last edited by Brian T; 05-26-17 at 05:23 AM.
Old 05-26-17, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Along with Red Mob (1993), it was one of the two secret titles that were teased on Social Media all week leading up to this sale.
That explains it. I'm not on facebook and only use twitter to follow political news now.
Old 05-26-17, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I decided to just order the Limited Edition releases of Sweet Sugar and Psycho Cop Returns.

There was a bunch of other stuff I wanted but I can wait for the actual Black Friday Sale for those.
Old 05-26-17, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That explains it. I'm not on facebook and only use twitter to follow political news now.
They were also teased in the last few email newsletters, which are definitely worth signing up for if you don't care for social media specifically.
Old 05-26-17, 11:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

..picked up "the undertaker" at $17.49...great deal
Old 05-26-17, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Ordered Sweet Sugar, Red Mob, The Hearse, Psycho Cop Returns and the Spring 2017 trailer comp. I'm not waiting around for the Black Friday sale. They've already said they may repress the limited editions (w/ out slips) if they sell well, but no guarantees.

Double Exposure and Hellbent sold out hours ago right at the beginning ...the latter for good.
Old 05-26-17, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts

Psycho Cop Returns is awesome. I highly recommend it. It's insane and has naked/half-naked girls running through it almost the entire time with one of the girls being the delicious Julie Strain in her prime.

I want to pick up that new three dvd catalog set but was thinking of getting something else with it to justify the shipping.

I have a lot of VS's stuff already but does anyone have any thoughts on Luther The Geek, Punk Vacation, or Candy Tangerine Man?
Old 05-27-17, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Highly recommend the film can shipping option. Also post pics if you do it. But these Crown International Blus...... Just don't know if I can justify 20ish a pop when they were like 30+ of them for $8 on DVD...

Edit: Film Can shipping option still full price, wouldn't recommend at $50 but does go down to $25 on BF.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 05-27-17 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-27-17, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As of 8:37a (PST), there are only 16 copies of Red Mob left.
Old 05-27-17, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

1 less now:

Old 05-27-17, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Decided to do another order, this time just picking up Red Mob.

Now down to 3 copies (as of 9:46a PST)!
Old 05-27-17, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Theres only 158 Sweet Sugar left as of now. Red Mob sold out.
Old 05-28-17, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was surprised that Sweet Sugar didn't sell out first, but then it did have 500 more units to move. Still tickled at how this is showing up completely out of the blue. Now I just need Terminal Island and the Phyliss Davis wing of my collection will be complete.

I also went back and placed another order yesterday. Picked up American Dreamer, Candy Tangerine Man/Lady Cocoa and some Hyapatia Lee titles.

Between this sale, and soundtrack sales at SAE and La-La Land, this weekend has been pretty damned expensive.
Old 05-28-17, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was surprised that Sweet Sugar didn't sell out first, but then it did have 500 more units to move. Still tickled at how this is showing up completely out of the blue. Now I just need Terminal Island and the Phyliss Davis wing of my collection will be complete.

I also went back and placed another order yesterday. Picked up American Dreamer, Candy Tangerine Man/Lady Cocoa and some Hyapatia Lee titles.

Between this sale, and soundtrack sales at SAE and La-La Land, this weekend has been pretty damned expensive.
Terminal Island was released by Code Red on Blu-Ray.

They currently have a 15% off sale on their Big Cartel site. Promo Code at Checkout is BANANASPLIT

http://codereddvd.bigcartel.com/prod...-to-1000-press
Old 05-28-17, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I could have sworn I heard that VS was working on their own, which would be taken from better elements- or rather elements closer to the O neg.

Having seen screen caps from the CR disc, I feel confident if VS does kick one out it will be superior.

But thanks anyway for news about the coupon

Damn! Just checked out the Big Cartel site and found a couple other things I wouldn't mind picking up- and at $14.41 after the coupon, Code Reds TI now looks a LOT more tempting.

Wish I could get some updated info on the potential VS release. It's been asked about several times in the last few days on the Bd.com thread, but no further acknowledgment of it.

Last edited by Paul_SD; 05-28-17 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-29-17, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Small order from Friday:

SWEET SUGAR
CATALOGUE OF FILM set
ANATOMY OF A PSYCHO Double Feature DVD

FYI, just checked the Sweet Sugar listing and they're down to the last 18 copies this morning. Like others, I'm quite surprised at RED MOB moving so fast.

EDIT: Sweet Sugar is sold out.

Last edited by Brian T; 05-29-17 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-29-17, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brian T
Like others, I'm quite surprised at RED MOB moving so fast.
The relative obscurity of the film and solid reputation that Vinegar Syndrome has probably helped. That and Vinegar Syndrome posting inventory numbers live.

Also finding 1,000 Slipcover-Obsessed, Vinegar Syndrome-Completist, OCD-Heavy Collectors across a few Message Board isn't too hard

Looking forward to getting these!

But thanks anyway for news about the coupon
No problem! Sales on Cult Cinema don't happen too often, so when good sales come along, I have to spread the word!

Last edited by asianxcore; 05-29-17 at 03:27 PM.
Old 05-30-17, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I told myself I was going to hold off blu ray spending until the July Criterion sale.

Witchtrap
Slaughterhouse
Corruption
Christmas Evil
The Hearse
Horror House of Highway 5
Old 03-27-20, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The Flash Pre-order for our monumental Halfway to Black Friday sale is now up and running and will be going strong until around Sunday at 11:59 PM EST! Mark your calendar: Halfway to Black Friday = May 22-25th!

Spoiler:

The centerpiece of the sale, and perhaps the most hotly debated title in VS release history (even before it was officially announced!), is Hal Needham‘s 1986 cult sensation, RAD. This video store favorite is making its decades belated disc debut, newly restored and available in a strictly limited 4K UHD/Blu-ray combo pack, fully loaded with an astonishing array of both new and archival interviews, deleted scenes, never before seen BTS footage, and more, and fitted with a gorgeous 3D lenticular front/holographic back slipcover designed by Earl Kess and based on the iconic original poster artwork.

But that‘s not even close to all of the cinematic delights planned for May. Also coming are:

Academy Award nominee Paul Schrader‘s brooding true crime thriller (which also earned Schrader a nomination for the Palme D‘Or), PATTY HEARST. This suspenseful and at times unnerving masterpiece co-stars William Forsythe and Ving Rhames and is finally being resurrected from MOD hell, to Blu-ray.

Then, Joel Bender‘s gory and T&A jammed horror rarity, THE IMMORTALIZER, comes to Blu in a sparkling new restoration. This low rent, high sleaze treat is full of slimy brain transplants, mutants, gratuitous nudity, and the type of carefree exploitation stylings that were on their last leg in the late 80s.

But wait, there‘s even more!

As always, we have two top secret titles in store, which will be announced at the start of the Halfway sale, but are available now for your pre-ordering convenience.

One is a shockingly mean spirited and highly demanded gem that will be sure to drop the jaws of even the most jaded exploitation aficionados, and will be making its worldwide disc debut, with all of its unflinching brutality presented in crisp high definition.

The other is a never officially on disc, SoCal lensed early 70s proto-slasher, which has been the victim of decades of poor quality (and often censored) ’PD‘ releases. Our new restoration of the camera negative seeks to right that wrong.

Now, on to the important stuff…How to order

You have three tiers to choose from:

Everything, for those who know a good deal when you see one, and enjoy some intrigue. This gets you RAD, PATTY HEARST, THE IMMORTALIZER, as well as the two mystery titles (which, if you ask us, might be the highlights of the bunch).

For the gamblers, there‘s the option to just hedge your bets and pick up the two surprise titles on their own. The risk is low and the enjoyment will be high.

Last, for those with commitment issues, you can just order RAD (and then be sad later when you see what you‘re missing out on).

Some closing notes and reminders:

• To all YEARLY SUBSCRIBERS, you will already be getting ALL OF THIS.
• All titles have a limit of One Per Customer.
• By placing an order now, you‘re getting bumped to the head of the line, because Flash Pre-orders get shipped first (after our subscribers)!
• By taking advantage of this flash pre-order, during our upcoming Halfway to Black Friday sale you can use our free ’Add to my existing order‘ feature so everything you get ships together in one large package, and you only have to pay for shipping once! Pretty neat, huh?
• We also can‘t stress enough that, by placing a Pre-order for the 'Everything' package now, you‘ll be saving handsomely when compared to buying all of the same titles titles during the Halfway Sale.

That‘s it for now! Happy pre-ordering!
Old 05-21-20, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Vinegar Syndrome sale is live.

New mystery titles: BLOOD GAMES and THE SEVERED ARM
New VSA titles: L.A. WARS and DR. JEKYLL’S DUNGEON OF DEATH

As usual, 50% off lots of stuff.

RAD still in stock, although they’ve posted that pre-orders were brisk, although I’m sure a regular edition will surface down the road.
Old 05-21-20, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. Was gonna go for the halfway package but a bit too much to spend at once, had to get Rad though just because of how damn rare it's been. Laserdiscs were going for over $100 on Ebay, so getting it in 4k for a fraction of that will be worth it. Grabbed a few others also, some were already showing up as sold out when I clicked on them.
Old 05-21-20, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I’ve got Rad already pre-ordered, and I also pre-ordered the mystery titles, which are now revealed as Blood Games and The Severed Arm.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.