AT&T Now (formerly DirecTV Now) -- News and Updates

Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

AT&T Now (formerly DirecTV Now) -- News and Updates

Old 11-28-16, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: AT&T to offer Directv as streaming service in 2016

http://gizmodo.com/directv-now-makes...vai-1789440342

The young people aren’t paying for TV, you’ve probably heard. Well don’t worry, says AT&T, we’ve got a plan. Today, the company officially announced its new, very hyped streaming TV service, DirecTV Now. Aimed at the 20 million U.S. households that aren’t part of the pay TV ecosystem, it’s the first service of its kind from a mainstream TV provider. It launches on November 30, just in time for the holidays, but will the youths ask Santa for it?

For months the telecom giant has been teasing the streaming product, which like Sling TV and PlayStation Vue, will allow subscribers to access live TV from a mobile device or set-top box without needing a regular cable or satellite subscription. That the service comes from a mainstream operator is remarkable; these giant companies have been resistant to the idea of streaming offerings for fear of losing their existing subscribers to cheaper more convenient offerings.

AT&T will be selling DirecTV Now in four different pricing packages, and though we don’t know the exact channel lineups, here are the prices:

Live a Little - $35 a month, 60+ channels
Just Right - $50 a month, 80+ channels
Go Big - $60 a month, 100+ channels
Gotta Have It - $70 a month, 120+ channels
You can add HBO and Cinemax for another $5 a month. During the launch period, DirecTV Now’s “Go Big” plan will be available for $35 a month. Users are grandfathered into the $35 a month price as long as they stay subscribed to the service. As of right now, the company isn’t sure how long this launch period will last, but 100+ for $35 is definitely a better deal than 100+ for 60, so if you’re inclined, it’s worth giving it a shot now, it seems. Obviously, it’s AT&T’s plan to rope the price-conscious cordcutter army this way.

DirecTV Now will work on the Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick, on Android, iOS, Apple TV, Chromecast, Google Cast TVs, and in web browsers like Safari, Google Chrome, and Internet Explorer. If you pre-buy three months of service, you get a free Apple TV. Pre-buying a month of service will give users a free Fire TV stick.

Additionally, AT&T says that in 2017, DirecTV Now will be coming to Roku streaming players and Roku TVs, Amazon Fire tablets, and Samsung Smart TVs.

It’s not clear what channel offerings are available on what packages. AT&T did confirm that CBS and Showtime aren’t available—yet—but it is working on getting those channels on board.

So is DirecTV Now actually worth it? We haven’t had the time to actually test the service, but it seems like a mighty attractive offering if you’re not the type of person who likes to get bogged down with a whole whopping cable subscription. In a broader view, the good news is that DirecTV Now appears to be a sign TV providers are increasingly willing to adapt their services to the ways people actually live. Cordcutters, drink yourself a glass of bubbly.

Update 5:20 PM: We’ve managed to get some details on some of the channels that DirecTV Now will be offering. Check it out:

AT&T has also confirmed that local channels (ABC, NBC, Fox) will only be available in owned and operated markets—that is, markets where the broadcast networks themselves own the local station. Owned and operated markets are only a small portion of the country, which means that a lot of users won’t get local stations. For those markets, video on demand content will be available the day after a program airs.

AT&T also says that DVR functionality will be coming in 2017.
Old 11-28-16, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Very competitive with PSVue.
Old 11-30-16, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Their website is up and running.

Ordered the 100 channels for 35 dollars. Not sure about the local channels.

I need to order an Amazon Fire Stick.

It only has two streams and Google Chrome would be the best viewing experience until I get the Stick.

First show that I'm watching- Lethal Weapon(tv series) latest episode(Fox On Demand). I do have Hulu but it's freezing up this morning(tried to watch Marvel's Agents of SHIELD). Lethal Weapon's running time is 51 minutes. Is that the usual running time for Fox On Demand shows? Update- It's letting me FF through the commercial breaks.

Last edited by dvd-4-life; 11-30-16 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-30-16, 08:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

CNET has posted the complete DirecTV NOW Channel Lineup, with comparisons to Sling TV and PlayStation Vue:

https://www.cnet.com/news/directv-no...nels-compared/
Old 11-30-16, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've got Big Ten Network. It's not mentioned on the above list.

Detroit only has one local channel-Fox2.
Old 11-30-16, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,020 Likes on 811 Posts

I wonder if I can cancel my UVerse, get this and still keep my unlimited Data.
Old 11-30-16, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What happen's to the channel line-up when they add CBS-will that count as one of the total or does in come in as an extra channel?

On another forum -a person mentioned that HBO is HBO East and HBO Family.
Old 11-30-16, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

According to an answered question at Directv Now Help Center-you can use your account information to access WatchESPN.
Old 11-30-16, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I'm curious if Chiller and El Rey are in HD here unlike their satellite counterpart.

The service currently doesn't have CBS and that's a pretty big deal for most homes. It's the most watched of all the OTA networks. They also won't have Roku support until early 2017.

I already have Directv, so I have no need for this. But, this seems like a decent and inexpensive alternative for those who don't have the budget for satellite, but want to have the content.

With so much streaming providers like this, Sling, PS Vue, Google and soon Hulu's Live service & being fairly inexpensive, there is really no point for people to torrent or hunt down shitty illegal streams (unless you're looking for foreign content). Most are already paying close to $100/month just for their internet. If you can't afford an extra $35/40 to legally watch the content you like, then you've get issues managing your expenses. If you don't watch a lot of TV (only a handful of shows), then I can see you not wanting to add this.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-30-16 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-30-16, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been getting freeze-ups with History and BBC America(both On-Demand).
Old 11-30-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
I've been getting freeze-ups with History and BBC America(both On-Demand).
Sounds like the service is still a work in progress. So I wouldn't nit pick or get uptight about some minor technical hiccups.

Also, just curious, why are you paying for Directv satellite, Charter cable and now this? Seems like a little overkill. I know you said you want to protect yourself from satellite weather issues, but do you really need to pay for cable as well?
Old 11-30-16, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Sounds like the service is still a work in progress. So I wouldn't nit pick or get uptight about some minor technical hiccups.

Also, just curious, why are you paying for Directv satellite, Charter cable and now this? Seems like a little overkill. I know you said you want to protect yourself from satellite weather issues, but do you really need to pay for cable as well?
NFL Sunday Ticket. That was the original reason I switched from Charter Cable to Direct TV(plus in the past Charter had bad customer service,it has changed for the better).

I got Cable because it was bundled and I was saving a lot of money anyways getting away from Century Link.

I know it wouldn't be perfect but I'm still going to wait till it's available on Roku and watch it on my computers until it becomes available down the road on Roku. Kind of reminds me of CBS All Access when it first started. Nothing but freeze-ups.
Old 11-30-16, 07:46 PM

Tried to order the Apple TV 3-month bundle deal multiple times now and it keeps crashing under "calculating tax"...I'm assuming it's likely that their site and processing is being hammered right now with people trying to lock in this deal.
Old 12-01-16, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

I'll give this 6 more days, but I'm not impressed with the picture quality at all. I tried several on demand selections and some live TV. And much worse than either Sling or Vue. No 5.1 either.

Also a lot of dropped video so have to restart the app. I guess that's expected on day 1. But lo def video is completely unacceptable in 2016.

The thing I do like about it is that it's much more of a channel surfing live TV experience that any of the others. There is a traditional horizontal guide rather than having to click on a thumbnail.
Old 12-01-16, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

According to the Satellite Guys Forum a lot of people were having trouble yesterday.

Never been too crazy to begin with Direct TV On demand(Charter is a lot better) so I wouldn't expect anything different from Directv Now.

I can't see why anyone with the 35 dollars for 100 plus channels would upgrade to the 120 plus channels because the price would double.
Old 12-01-16, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Eddie W
I'll give this 6 more days, but I'm not impressed with the picture quality at all. I tried several on demand selections and some live TV. And much worse than either Sling or Vue. No 5.1 either.

Also a lot of dropped video so have to restart the app. I guess that's expected on day 1. But lo def video is completely unacceptable in 2016.

The thing I do like about it is that it's much more of a channel surfing live TV experience that any of the others. There is a traditional horizontal guide rather than having to click on a thumbnail.
Any sort of transmission that relies on the internet isn't going to be 100% full proof with crystal clear 1080p or 4K quality picture with 5.1 DD sound. I just don't think the technology for streaming has reached that kind of level yet. In case of Directv Now, this is going to be a work in progress. Especially with DVR capabilities still to be determined until early next year. Unless you're paying for fiber or 500+ MBPS, the transmission aren't going to be 100% perfect and of course outages, slow access could disrupt it.
Old 12-01-16, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Any sort of transmission that relies on the internet isn't going to be 100% full proof with crystal clear 1080p or 4K quality picture with 5.1 DD sound. I just don't think the technology for streaming has reached that kind of level yet. In case of Directv Now, this is going to be a work in progress. Especially with DVR capabilities still to be determined until early next year. Unless you're paying for fiber or 500+ MBPS, the transmission aren't going to be 100% perfect and of course outages, slow access could disrupt it.
I wouldn't want to be dependent on Charter's internet if I was watching the Super Bowl or some other special event.
Old 12-03-16, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

1) The channels are "live"?
2) Can I just open up the app and use the remote to punch in a channel number like real tv?
3) I can get HBO for $5 with the $35 plan?
Old 12-03-16, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Ranger
1) The channels are "live"?
2) Can I just open up the app and use the remote to punch in a channel number like real tv?
3) I can get HBO for $5 with the $35 plan?
1. Yes

2. Looks like it

3. Yes
Old 12-03-16, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

That's cool.

The remotes for Apple TV and Amazon Fire TV have number buttons?
Old 12-03-16, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Correction there is no channel inputs. It's point and click. The Apple TV and Fire remotes don't have numbers on them.

Check out this video review

Old 12-04-16, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just ordered an Amazon Fire stick and its not expected until mid-December. I can still watch Direct TV Now on my laptop and PC.

Not to get off the subject but what channels are available on Amazon Fire that aren't available on Roku?
Old 12-08-16, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking into this. What are the taxes and fees above the $35? Thanks
Old 12-08-16, 12:35 PM

Even though I pre-ordered the three month package for the free Apple TV 4 device, I'm started to think I just invested in a huge headache.

http://www.businessinsider.com/direc...s-bugs-2016-12

http://gizmodo.com/directv-now-is-a-...ami-1789614922

http://www.consumerreports.org/strea...a-rocky-start/

Search anywhere on the web and it's the same story: problems, problems, problems. I have a family member who ordered it and has said trying to watch anything is an exercise in frustration. Constant freezes and lockups, worse in the evening than early in the day.

Hopefully just growing pains due to so many people signing up and using it at once, but still...you would think AT&T could handle it.

If it's working just fine for you...congrats. I'm just hearing more bad than good when it comes to reliability.
Old 12-10-16, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

According to some members at the Satellite Guys Forum,Directv Now was down for quite awhile yesterday.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.