Community
Search
Blu-ray Bargains Post and Discuss Blu-ray Related Bargains

Dollar General Blu-rays

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-16, 10:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Dollar General Blu-rays

Went on a mini scavenger hunt this afternoon, but didn't find anywhere near the number of BD's listed recently on this thread. The steelbooks were out in force, but I was mostly looking for AQOTWF. I did find a lone copy of the "A River Runs Through It" digibook for $6.

EDIT: Hit a few more stores and finally found a single AQOTWF, plus the Smurfs S1 sets (don't tell anybody, lol), the Duckman set, and two versions of the concert film "We Come in Pieces" by the UK band Placebo. Anybody know them? I believe DG also had a Paul McCartney concert. May return for a couple $2.95 James Bond BD's.

Last edited by thetao; 05-01-16 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-08-16, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for those in RTP, NC, the DG at North Raleigh gets new Blu-rays EACH THURSDAY!

Went there today. Got 2 James Bonds, Wanted, To live and let die, antwone Fischer, house at the end of the street - new $2.95 each. (they have a sticker on them that says "NEW" and they sure look like it.

They also had Johnny English 2, Mirrors, Terminator, West side story, Predators, Wall Street, and many others...

thought I'd share.
Old 05-12-16, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I have several DG locations all around me. It's funny how no 2 are alike when it comes to what media they have (some have hardly any at all), and the prices aren't always the same either. There is quite a selection of $2.95 titles available, but finding them might be tricky. Some I've seen in addition to the ones previously listed:

Bride Wars
End of Days
Get the Gringo
Hoosiers
The Last House on the Left (original film)
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of the Ga'Hoole
Lions for Lambs
Little Fockers
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Notorious
The Riverman
Road House
The Rocker
Rocky films (several of the series)
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Shutter
Sid & Nancy
Silence of the Lambs
Skateland
Spaceballs
Stan Lee's Mighty 7 Beginnings
Walking Tall
Win Win

I've also seen some TV shows for the same price. I only remember a couple of them:

Duckman: Seasons 1/2
Night Court: Season 2 (I recall seeing this before but priced higher)
Old 05-25-16, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was away from home so popped into a DG store and bought the following for $2.95 each:

8 Mile
Admission (since I couldn't find it for $1 at Dollar Tree recently )
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Knocked Up
Mr. & Mrs. Smith
The Pink Panther (The Peter Sellers one)
The Sentinel
What Happens in Vegas
Wild Target

Wish it had been the weekend when there's a $5/$25 coupon.
Old 05-26-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

If anyone is interested in possibly trading some of these titles, let me know. I can see that the available titles vary from one location/area to another. I have several titles to stores near here that Cardsfan111 hasn't listed, but I have never seen (and would like to own) Sid & Nancy.
Old 05-27-16, 02:58 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Usually don't find much at my local DG, but I was driving by it today and decided to check it out. Found three of the digibook Universal 100th Anniversary packs for $4.95 each, so I'm happy.
Old 05-27-16, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clappj
If anyone is interested in possibly trading some of these titles, let me know. I can see that the available titles vary from one location/area to another. I have several titles to stores near here that Cardsfan111 hasn't listed, but I have never seen (and would like to own) Sid & Nancy.
I'll try to remember which store I picked up Sid & Nancy at so I can see if there are additional copies. I have 4 stores within 10 minutes of where I live/work, and another few a little further away that I pass from time to time. It's crazy how varied the selection is from store to store and different areas. I have one location that has hardly anything.

What other titles are you seeing?
Old 05-30-16, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 229 Likes on 166 Posts

I hit several of the stores in my town, and I picked up the following for $2.95 each:

The Graduate
Juno
Hoosiers
Legend of the Black Scorpion
Stoker

I also picked up a couple of DVDs, also $2.95 each:

Up the Down Staircase
Stargate Atlantis: Season 1
Old 05-30-16, 08:13 PM

Was seeing relatives this weekend and hit a couple DG's. One I'd visited a few weeks ago and found the "Amazing Spider-man" Target set (with the Spider-man head and bonus DVD). Was happy to find it still there ($6). Also found the "Buck Privates" digibook ($2.95) that I swear wasn't there originally. Rounded it out with the first season of "Buck Rogers in the 25th Century" on DVD ($2.95).

This is becoming as much fun as Big Lots trips used to be!
Old 06-04-16, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Took advantage of the $5 off $25 coupon today & picked up 2 $10 steelbooks, Das Boot & Stripes, plus goodies to reach the $25 threshold.

Also picked up the following $2.95 BD's in the past week:
Straw Dogs
Hoosiers
Napoleon Dynamite

All purchases were made in assorted DG stores in upstate Mario Land (NY).
Old 06-05-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

So jealous of all of you who have several Dollar Generals in your area!

I just moved to an area that has one within a 10 minute drive but they didn't have any Blu-Rays other than the Das Boot Steelbook.
Old 06-12-16, 10:52 AM

Went on another scavenger hunt and found the 2008 2xBD French Connection set for $3.99. Also found a single Sid and Nancy for $2.95.

While it isn't all BD's, I'll mention/re-mention some other sightings:

- One store had lots of concert disks, a few artists I didn't recognize: UB40, David Byrne, Placebo, Owl City, Paul McCartney, Baby Shambles, Robin Gibb, Ian Gillan, etc. Only Owl City was BD. (Watch out for slashed bar codes.)

- regular James Bond sightings

- regular full series sets from the various Stargate Series. Only Universe 1.0 and 1.5 were BD.

Definitely enjoying this more than Big Lots.
Old 06-13-16, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by thetao
Went on another scavenger hunt and found the 2008 2xBD French Connection set for $3.99. Also found a single Sid and Nancy for $2.95.

While it isn't all BD's, I'll mention/re-mention some other sightings:

- One store had lots of concert disks, a few artists I didn't recognize: UB40, David Byrne, Placebo, Owl City, Paul McCartney, Baby Shambles, Robin Gibb, Ian Gillan, etc. Only Owl City was BD. (Watch out for slashed bar codes.)

- regular James Bond sightings

- regular full series sets from the various Stargate Series. Only Universe 1.0 and 1.5 were BD.

Definitely enjoying this more than Big Lots.
Let me know if you want to trade Sid & Nancy for another title from Dollar General. I've found a bunch of great Blu-rays, but still have not seen S&N. Let me know. Thanks!
Old 06-14-16, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by clappj
Let me know if you want to trade Sid & Nancy for another title from Dollar General. I've found a bunch of great Blu-rays, but still have not seen S&N. Let me know. Thanks!
I am keeping this one, but will keep my eyes peeled for a second copy. One thing I am pining for is Buck Rogers S2 (on DVD), assuming it's in DG's circulation.
Old 06-16-16, 02:49 AM

i saw atlantis s3 once for $2.95 on bluray
Old 06-19-16, 11:59 PM

I've been noticing Universal titles (Do The Right Thing, Traffic, etc.) with no security sticker, that are supposed to contain a BD + DVD. If these were new releases, I'd think they were used and missing a "Contains Blu-Ray disk only" sticker. Has anybody bought titles like this and found them fully intact?
Old 08-20-16, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Picked up the following this morning, sweetened with a $5 off $25 Sat. only coupon:

$4.95:
Taken
Taken 2
Contagion

$3.95:
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (w/slip)
Red Dawn (1984)
The Five Heartbeats
Old 08-20-16, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

I've been noticing Universal titles (Do The Right Thing, Traffic, etc.) with no security sticker, that are supposed to contain a BD + DVD. If these were new releases, I'd think they were used and missing a "Contains Blu-Ray disk only" sticker. Has anybody bought titles like this and found them fully intact?
Some studios seem to be moving away from security stickers in more recent printings.
Old 08-20-16, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bacigalup
Picked up the following this morning, sweetened with a $5 off $25 Sat. only coupon:

$4.95:
Taken
Taken 2
Contagion

$3.95:
The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor (w/slip)
Red Dawn (1984)
The Five Heartbeats
I've been slow in posting finds in this thread, but ironically I just picked up Taken today because I didn't own it on BD and had the Saturday coupon. The other $4.95 one I grabbed was Mrs. Doubtfire

Dollar Generals are so common here in the midwest with every small town having one it seems. When I travel, it's easy to stop in at a few without sacrificing much time. The most difficultly I have is locating them within the store, though you get familiar with where the displays are located.

The most recent displays are longer ones on a cardboard stand priced at $3.95/$4.95/$6.95. The highest price point usually contains triple feature BDs and 4 film DVD sets. Today, I spotted the Robocop trilogy (BD) at $6.95, but passed because I own the first one and I'm not as interested in the other 2.

Many stores still have some $2.95 titles on blu. I'm finding them on the taller carousel displays. This weekend I bought Killing Bono, Scenic Route & Wanderlust. My most interesting find was a DVD set I've never seen before--New Zoo Revue. Season 1--59 episodes, $2.95. Amazon has it for $35! I recall vaguely watching this show when I was younger. Have no idea if I'll enjoy it at all, but we'll see!

Last week, I found a couple of triple features for $2.95. The same ones I've seen for $6.95 at other places. They were the Chuck Norris one and the western one with Butch Cassidy, ]The Good, Bad & the Ugly & The Magnificent Seven. Had to buy them being so cheap even though I had passed before at $6.95. Odd to see them priced differently, seemed to be a mistake.

Also today, one store had a bunch of Disney/Marvel PV titles for $9.95. Brave, Frozen, Avengers, etc. Not a horrible price, but they were stickered blu-ray disc only and I'm sure didn't contain the DMR code, so I passed on them. And 2 other stores still had the Spiderman gift sets w/mask & Electro heads on a shelf up high behind the counter. I don't how they ever plan to sell them that way.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 08-20-16 at 10:34 PM.
Old 08-21-16, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

Traveling for business around Syracuse NY. Saw this thread and checked out a Dollar General Store.

At the $2.95 table I found
Thelma and Louise
The Graduate
West Side Story 3 disc (2 blu one DVD)
Hoosiers
Rocky ( the first one)
The Princess Bride 2 disc (Blu ray and DVD)

I saw the Digibook of Buck Privates -$4.95

I saw American Graffiti Blu ray and DVD $4.95. I wasn't sure if it was a flipper or 2 discs.

For $6.95 Three film blu ray set of
Raging Bull, Rocky, and the Usual Suspects.

Found a Digibook of All's Quiet on The Western Front for $3.95.

Double Feature A Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More for $2.95

Last edited by Classic Films; 08-25-16 at 09:22 PM.
Old 11-12-16, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just picked up Luc Besson's The Extraordinary Adventures of Adele Blanc-Sec for $4.95 at the local DG this morning.

Was surprised that this is a Shout Factory title!
Old 11-12-16, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if DG will have any Sony box sets this year, as they have in the past few years? (Even though they can't get rid of last year's Jamie Foxx heads.)
Old 04-27-17, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New sightings here in upstate NY all priced at $4.95:

Assassins
The Brave One
Grudge Match
Risky Business
The Never Ending Story II

Tempted to pick up a title or 2, but feel they can be found at a low price point at other DG stores.
Old 04-28-17, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

^Picked up Risky Business.
Old 04-29-17, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Stopped at a DG I infrequently visit today, this is what I picked up:

$2.95
Traffic
The Silence of the Lambs
Win Win
The American
Antwone Fisher

$3.95
The Full Monty
Grudge Match
Risky Business

Having the $5 off $25 digital coupon sure helped with this purchase!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.