Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-13, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: A new Star Trek TV series??

It's CBS, so I expect them to be solving a crime each week where/whenever it takes place.
Old 10-12-13, 07:08 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

new ship, new crew, space exploration, at the tail end of TNG era, so that you still might get a Captain Riker or Admiral Picard cameo.
Old 10-12-13, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Seems more likely that a new Trek show would be set in the new timeline rather than the original.
Old 10-12-13, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
new ship, new crew, space exploration, at the tail end of TNG era, so that you still might get a Captain Riker or Admiral Picard cameo.
It's getting close to 10 years since the last one, and I said back then, wait 10 years before doing another, so the time seems right. As for time period, I wouldn't mind a generation or two after TNG/DS9 so you could reasonably get some cameos from some previous characters. Just please keep it in the real Trek universe.

It's CBS, so I expect them to be solving a crime each week where/whenever it takes place.
I don't know about CBS. Ratings would have to be pretty decent for it to work there.

I'd much prefer it to be on cable. And the shorter seasons might work better for it.
Old 10-12-13, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Ship based but a much smaller ship, maybe a covert ops kind of thing. Section 31 going in to do the dirty work.

Regardless I'm excited at the prospects of a new show.
Old 10-12-13, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Ship based but a much smaller ship, maybe a covert ops kind of thing. Section 31 going in to do the dirty work.

Regardless I'm excited at the prospects of a new show.
So in other words, no teenagers.
Old 10-12-13, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Hopefully not! But I'm sure it will be our worst nightmare and end up on the CW.

Pretty pretty Trek teens with problems.
Old 10-12-13, 10:13 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Zombies in space. It would cash in on the current trend and it would be an apt metaphor for what Star Trek has become.

The terrible, terrible Voyager-Enterprise put any love I had for the franchise on life support and the horrific reboot finished it off (to be fair, I haven't seen Into Darkness yet and I hear it's better than the first Abrams/Pine/Quinto movie).

Back in the day, when ER was at the height of its popularity, I thought a Starfleet medical ship might be an interesting ship to follow. Now, I think I'll just keep my memories of Shatner, Stewart, Brooks, and their respective crews and ignore a reboot/spin-off unless it's good enough to stand on its own, not simply as a piece of the Star Trek universe.
Old 10-12-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

At one point I thought a Starfleet Academy show could be kind of cool but I dunno. I could see it having potential to be an awful idea to try and make it another CW/teen show and sucking. I say do another ship based series with a smaller ship and crew or a series based on the Titan books and Riker as Captain.
Old 10-12-13, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Given that season long anthology is hot now, I'd really like to see them farm this out to a cable net and make a 10 to 13 episode long self contained season about pretty much anything they like. The star here is the universe, and this would give them a chance to tell us a large number of stories.

ETA: Ideally this could be combined with a rebrand of Spike to try to elevate that channel to TNT/USA/FX status.

I guess the first story I'd want to see would be a new universe Enterprise C era introduction on a ship. The next season's anthology could then spin in a different direction with a different cast but take up from there telling us the story of the peace being forged with the Klingons.

ETA2: If you could attract Joss Whedon to Star Trek (something I think he has no love for) and get him to take one of these seasons to essentially adapt the Reavers storyline from Firefly/Serenity to the Star Trek universe, that could be really awesome. That would be your zombies in space.

Last edited by Jimmy James; 10-12-13 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Why do some want a series featuring Riker? I've always found him to be one of the more boring characters in Star Trek?

If you're going to do a traditional space ship series, then how about an alien captain. They've done black, female, r-tard (Archer)...lets get something new.
Old 10-12-13, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Why do some want a series featuring Riker? I've always found him to be one of the more boring characters in Star Trek?
Perhaps what you consider boring the others consider considerable room for character development.

That said, I think of the Riker series much the same thing I would think of a Sulu series (which surely is no longer viable at least with Takei) -- it sounds like a fun idea to go with this type of spin off, but the chances are that it would pale in comparison to the original material and would therefore end up leading to fan dissatisfaction and/or resentment.
Old 10-12-13, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

I will just watch my TOS and Next Generation BDs. If a new series is going to be made with the asshats who are involved with the current films then I will have to pass.
Old 10-12-13, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I would prefer the timeline set after Deep Space Nine.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Hopefully not! But I'm sure it will be our worst nightmare and end up on the CW.

Pretty pretty Trek teens with problems.
Also add in twenty five to thirty year olds playing teenagers.
Old 10-12-13, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Red Dog

If you're going to do a traditional space ship series, then how about an alien captain. They've done black, female, r-tard (Archer)...lets get something new.
For me its because like with others I want the old Star Trek back. No alt universe Abbrams stuff and NO teen deama CW style Terk.

At thjs point basically a TNG spin off wjth Riker as Captain (even toss in LaForge as his number two) is the best bet for that.

Make that show and Ill buy the hats, tshirts, posters etc. Without that Ill likely be done with it.
Old 10-12-13, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by wz42
For me its because like with others I want the old Star Trek back. No alt universe Abbrams stuff and NO teen deama CW style Terk.

At thjs point basically a TNG spin off wjth Riker as Captain (even toss in LaForge as his number two) is the best bet for that.

Make that show and Ill buy the hats, tshirts, posters etc. Without that Ill likely be done with it.
I detest the Abrams ST as much as the next guy. Doesn't mean that I want a series centered around Riker.

Need to move forward and away from that time period IMO. That's what made TNG work. It stood on its own and away from TOS.
Old 10-12-13, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think what those of you who detest the Abrams ST detest is Abrams himself. That's one reason why though I'm resigned to it being set in the same universe as his movies, I want to move us a bit forward in time. The things he's doing in the films can't be done in a TV series, anyway. That would just in essence free the writers from the established canon and allow them freedom to take the show in an interesting direction.

To put it another way, while I'd love to see the Cardassian/Bajoran conflict as an example, doing it in a way that strictly complies with the established old universe canon would be intensely frustrating to make happen. That's why the new universe exists.
Old 10-12-13, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Well if it's going to be that Trek universe, then I'm with JasonF and stvn1974....might as well make it zombies in space and I'll watch TOS/TNG/DS9 re-runs.
Old 10-12-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Bring back Wesley Crusher and give him his own series.

I also don't want a CW 90210 Trek Academy series. I don't think I could take 22 hour long episodes of the Spock/Uhura shit that we were given in the two Abrams films.
Old 10-12-13, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What is the good alternative for the TNG/DS9/Voyager universe? I am just going to go ahead and assume nobody is actually arguing for whatever timeline alterations were evidently done on Enterprise (I haven't ever watched it).

It seems to me a big part of the timeline we're speaking of there is that so much of the interesting material has been foreclosed by the developments of those shows and movies. You can't go pick a time between TOS and that time because the grand scale of accomplishment (Janeway makes Admiral, Picard is the man, Sisko is a god) can't be accommodated by any show that takes place in the between time due to the lack of any mention of it on the TNG-era shows. If you go with post-DS9/Voyager, it seems to me so much about that timeline is in a die has been struck status. Where do you take the show? I don't see a path. The Borg are played out. The Dominion is played out. The Delta quadrant is played out. The Klingons are played out. The Cardassians are played out. Q are played out. The Romulans are played out. The Breen are creepy. Where do we take it?
Old 10-12-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk God

What timeline alterations were made in Enterprise? I'm not aware of any. There was some discontinuity but I don't see how they changed the timeline. I didn't have a problem with Enterprise's approach. It was the execution of it that failed. And S4 of Enterprise was actually pretty decent IMO.

I'm sure Trekkies thought the Klingons and Romulans were played out after TOS/TNG and they brought in the Dominion and Cardassians (and developed the Klingons so much more than previously done) for DS9. It worked. Honestly, I don't think the Romulans have really been developed all that well across the series. I think there's fresh material there.
Old 10-12-13, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well that's true. They could bring in others. The problem there is that (and I'm working through Voyager now) it seems they tried that a lot in Voyager with crappy results. Can we trust them to bring in something else good?

ETA: As to Enterprise, I thought there was some convoluted future enemy that came back to bedevil Archer. I figured surely that meant timeline issues.
Old 10-12-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Set it after Voyager got back. Problem with Enterprise was a good chunk of the established Trek universe was off limits because it was before Kirk & Starfleet hadn't met the race yet. Remember how they worked in Ferengi? Archer & crew were left wondering who they were since Starfleet hadn't officailly met them until Picard's time.

As for alternate timeline, they could say that timelines sort of worked themselves out that TNG, DS9, & Voyager more or less happened the same as they did before.
Old 10-12-13, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Jimmy James
ETA: As to Enterprise, I thought there was some convoluted future enemy that came back to bedevil Archer. I figured surely that meant timeline issues.
True. And that was the worst part of the series (along with the Xindi), but I didn't think it changed the timeline in any meaningful way.

And VOY, from the season or so I watched, just plain sucked, so who cares. It's easily ignored IMO. But part of that is because they didn't build off anything from DS9. That's what made DS9 work - they took aliens we had some exposure to from TNG - Klingons, Cardassians, and Ferengi and really developed them.

I think one of ENT's biggest problems was that they did not develop the Vulcans and Andorians well enough. We got a handful of Andorian episodes and they didn't do enough with the Vulcans. The Andorian/Vulcan conflict was the best part of the series prior to S4 and they didn't do enough with it.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-12-13 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-12-13, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I think the problem doing this show in the "normal" non-movie timeline is that we have had 2 movies that aren't in that timeline. Shifting between a series like that, and the movies, which are in a different timeline, would be confusing to casual viewers. You want this to be open to as many people as possible, so I really see any new show only existing in this new timeline.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.