Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery -- from EP Bryan Fuller -- Coming to CBS All-Access in 2017

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-12, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Bryan Singer and Fuller developing new Star Trek series?

Originally Posted by Draven
"Star Fleet Academy" is the way to do the show. You could get a multi-year setting out of it (however long it takes to graduate) and mix a college show, a military show and a space show together. I think there are a ton of potential stories, a lot of action possibilities (training, away missions, etc) and wouldn't have to blow the budget on space battles every week.
Star Fleet Academy by the way of HBO or Showtime, Not CW, would be okay
Old 02-08-12, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Star Fleet Academy" is the way to do the show. You could get a multi-year setting out of it (however long it takes to graduate) and mix a college show, a military show and a space show together. I think there are a ton of potential stories, a lot of action possibilities (training, away missions, etc) and wouldn't have to blow the budget on space battles every week.
God no. This idea keeps coming up and it would suck massively. Besides, DS9 already had sort of the same concept, and then they give it a starship because hanging out on a base got limiting.
Old 02-08-12, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, when they do finally make another Trek series, I don't give a fuck what the setting is as long as it's a good show.
Old 02-08-12, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shazam
God no. This idea keeps coming up and it would suck massively. Besides, DS9 already had sort of the same concept, and then they give it a starship because hanging out on a base got limiting.
WHich is a reason many liked DS9, because it was much more 'serialized' than the 'explorer' 'alien race of the week episodes'.

At least for me
Old 02-08-12, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
WHich is a reason many liked DS9, because it was much more 'serialized' than the 'explorer' 'alien race of the week episodes'.

At least for me
Serialization has nothing to do with the setting. It's a writing choice.
Old 02-08-12, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NORML54601
After the first season I thought Enterprise got really good, especially the season the spent looking for the Xindi. I'd absolutely be down for a new series.
I watched it's entire run but never thought it worked. Didn't like the actor choices..And to me the Xindi season was a waste, so many great storylines they could have had and they shelved it for that.
Old 02-08-12, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Ok, ANOTHER. Although funny thing is I only saw the first season of DS9 and I think it's supposed to be more serial after that. Back in the day I couldn't get into it, and did watch the first season on DVD several years back and never bought season two, and I don't want to go through season one again, although I could probably get by with skipping it even though it's been so long.
Old 02-08-12, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Personally I'd be interested in a new Star Trek series that either focused on Starfleet Academy or with Captain Riker and a new crew. I liked the J.J. Abrams reboot but I think it should stick to being movies and not base a series around it. In my opinion though if a new series is made they should go the shorter season route and have around twelve or so episodes in a season rather than a full twenty plus episode season. That way they could cut a lot of the fluff episodes and keep a solid story going.
Agree, short seasons on say, SyFy.. Riker show or the idea I've thought of is set it a few decades or so after TNG/DS9 with a serialized show following a warship as they are in a serious war with the Romulans or someone, with things not looking too good for the Federation.
Old 02-08-12, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shady12
Ok, ANOTHER. Although funny thing is I only saw the first season of DS9 and I think it's supposed to be more serial after that. Back in the day I couldn't get into it, and did watch the first season on DVD several years back and never bought season two, and I don't want to go through season one again, although I could probably get by with skipping it even though it's been so long.
You really should give it another shot. DS9 is the best Trek show.
Old 02-08-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. The first 1-2 seasons were kind of a mess, but once the Dominion comes into play, it really is great.
Old 02-08-12, 03:57 PM

Star Fleet Academy by the way of HBO or Showtime, Not CW, would be okay
Yeah but if they did SF Academy I just *know* it'd wind up like a CW show...likely on the CW with JJ exec producing it.

Wow...yeah it really was. I liked TOS and Enterprise and found Voyager fine with *really* liking TNG but almost every day I wish they were still making DS9. Along side M*A*S*H* it's my fav TV show of all time - not even Star Trek

I agree. The first 1-2 seasons were kind of a mess, but once the Dominion comes into play, it really is great.
+1 I'd say that, if you're just catching it casually on TV, any episode where Sisko's head is shaved is a good place to start.
Old 02-08-12, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wz42

+1 I'd say that, if you're just catching it casually on TV, any episode where Sisko's head is shaved is a good place to start.
I was going to make that comment, but I thought it was just me lol!
Old 02-08-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by Shazam
Yeah, let's put them on another ship and send them out to encounter the Borg again.

They need to mix this stuff up.
Old 02-08-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, let's put them on another ship and send them out to encounter the Borg again.

They need to mix this stuff up.
They don't have to ever use the Borg again.

It's a writing choice. But I'm sure the nerds will clamour for them anyhow.
Old 02-08-12, 06:42 PM

I was going to make that comment, but I thought it was just me lol!
I *really* suspect Avery Brooks got more creative control which resulted in Sisko's head shaving. Over on the Trek boards they're all saying that Brooks may not have been intoxicated when he was arrested for that DUI since he acts kinda crazy all the time.

This I agree with and suspect it's that fine line between genius and madness that he injected into DS9 which made it so great.

As an aside on the homepage of Trekweb they have a poll up for what they want JJ to premiere at ComicCon related to Star Trek.

The first choice was a trailer for a new movie but a *very* close second was announcing a DS9 movie. Of course I voted for the movie and if any other fans wanted to do the same hopefully it'll prove to Paramount that they shouldn't be done with DS9 yet.
Old 02-08-12, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Shady12
I've recently been Netflixing DS9. There was no chance I was going to watch the whole thing so I just Googled "must watch episodes" and I'm really enjoying watching just the main story line episodes.
Old 02-08-12, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would prefer a ds9 series return
Old 02-09-12, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah but if they did SF Academy I just *know* it'd wind up like a CW show...likely on the CW with JJ exec producing it.

Wow...yeah it really was. I liked TOS and Enterprise and found Voyager fine with *really* liking TNG but almost every day I wish they were still making DS9. Along side M*A*S*H* it's my fav TV show of all time - not even Star Trek

I know I'll get to it eventually. On Netflix now so will be easy. Another show I need to go back to is The Wire. I watched the first two seasons then just didn't have time to start right up on the third, then was long enough that I would need to start over to remember what was going on. Sigh. I don't think I'll mind starting that one back from the start though.
Old 02-09-12, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ugh... stay far away from TNG. That show started strong and became the worst sanctimonious crap on television and on the movie screen ever. And Riker was the very freakin' worst!!!

If you were to do this, it would have to be a show set at least 100 years after TNG, with no Starfleet and no prime directive.
Old 02-09-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

As an aside on the homepage of Trekweb they have a poll up for what they want JJ to premiere at ComicCon related to Star Trek.

The first choice was a trailer for a new movie but a *very* close second was announcing a DS9 movie. Of course I voted for the movie and if any other fans wanted to do the same hopefully it'll prove to Paramount that they shouldn't be done with DS9 yet.
Don't get your hopes up. He didn't show ANYTHING at the Comic-Con before the first movie opened.
Old 02-09-12, 03:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Id love to see a mirror, mirror based trek take. it could be new and different at the same time.
Old 02-09-12, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Don't get your hopes up. He didn't show ANYTHING at the Comic-Con before the first movie opened.
I agree - but it was good to see that there's still a strong support base out there for DS9...hopefully one day Paramount will realize they should capitalize on that.

I'm not expecting much of JJ either...for anything really.
Old 10-12-13, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A new Star Trek TV series??

http://www.trektoday.com/content/201...k-on-tv-again/

According to Sky News Entertainment Reporter Joe Michalczuk, there is ongoing discussion regarding the possibility of getting Star Trek back on TV again.

The information comes courtesy of Star Trek into Darkness Co-writer Roberto Orci.

“Bob Orci just told me they’ve had a meeting with CBS to revive @StarTrek on TV,” said Michalczuk. “This made me v[ery] excited.”
So if they did decide to revive Star Trek. What would people want to see? Exploration vessel? (7 year voyage etc etc). Space station drama? (DS9). Star fleet academy? New Trek Colony?

What time period? After Enterprise? Before TNG? After DS9?
Old 10-12-13, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: A new Star Trek TV series??

At this point they've done so many variations on ships and crews flying around space that I'd rather see something like "Starfleet Academy" or "Redshirts". Basically what everyone else is doing while the 3-4 main casts are off fighting the Borg and dealing with Q.

Also, after DS9 for a time period. No more mucking around with trying to make it fit into the chronology.
Old 10-12-13, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: A new Star Trek TV series??

How about Kirk-era, but taking place on a Klingon ship.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.