Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-16, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
re: Star Wars: Episode IX - The Rise of Skywalker (12/20/19, W/D: J.J. Abrams)

Originally Posted by Mike86
but I hope Disney doesn't take it seriously and consider bringing Lucas in more in some capacity for future films in the franchise.
Wait, what? Seriously? He just f'd up the last 4 movies of the franchise before they paid him to stop screwing things up. I don't care if I ever hear from Lucas again.

I'm actually surprised JJ isn't back for IX... seems like he'd have enough time to gather his senses and get re-energized for a proper send-off. I'm not super thrilled with Trevorrow.
Old 01-12-16, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

To clarify its nothing really official. Just some fan petition. I just felt it was noteworthy to post as its been reported on and Trevorrow issued a response, but I doubt anything will come of it.
Old 01-12-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
On the basis of how successful our petition to get the originals remastered went, if you want to petition Lucas to direct, knock yourself the fuck out.
Old 01-12-16, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

So not that it'll actually go anywhere (at least I hope not) but someone on change.org started a petition for Disney to have George Lucas direct Episode IX and its up to 16,000 signatures. Overall its not a very big number of people who have signed it but I hope Disney doesn't take it seriously and consider bringing Lucas in more in some capacity for future films in the franchise.
I would tell this bozo who started this petition, here is the difference between Lucas and Cameron.

The Terminator films without Cameron are so inferior to Terminator and T2 it is night and day. I would sign a petition to bring him back to another Terminator Film.

Lucas PT films are vastly inferior to the OT, and whatever you think of TFA it isn't any worse then the PT. This guy should have done a petition after Episode 1 to get Lucas out of the there.
Old 01-12-16, 10:09 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Collider has a new article about Trevorrow. They mention he's still coming up with the story he wants to tell for Episode IX and is writing the script with Derek Connolly. I was more accepting of Colin when I thought he was only going to be directing, but now I'm a lot more wary. I thought the screenplay for Jurassic World was mediocre. The original plan was for Rian Johnson to do the story treatment for IX, so hopefully there will still be some significant collaboration happening there.

Trevorrow said they're working to make the reveal of Rey's parentage satisfying for the audience -- which implies that the question might not be answered until 2019. I'm betting they'll pull an "I am your father." type reveal at the end of VIII and leave the audience hanging until the next movie for a resolution. Again, it's like poetry...

http://collider.com/star-wars-9-rey-...lin-trevorrow/

Last edited by joe_b; 01-12-16 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-12-16, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

The 8 year old who knocked on my door selling school candy this afternoon is more qualified to direct Star Wars than Lucas.
Old 01-12-16, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Yeah, that is concerning.

The writing on Jurassic World was absolute shit. And I wasn't expecting Shakespeare with JW, but the dialog and characterization were really fucking bad.
Old 01-12-16, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 549 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, that is concerning.

The writing on Jurassic World was absolute shit. And I wasn't expecting Shakespeare with JW, but the dialog and characterization were really fucking bad.
Wait, George Lucas wrote Jurassic World?
Old 01-12-16, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I doubt they would wait until IX to answer the Rey question.

Seems very obvious that she is
Spoiler:
Obi-Wan's granddaughter.

He might just be hyping it up.
Old 01-13-16, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is THAT the obvious answer? I have yet to find someone who believes that shit that doesn't have the basis that

1. British Accent
2. Ghost of actors past speak up

I mean, technically Luke could have hooked up with Obi's daughter who has yet to be referenced in any fucking thing other than some off hand thing about him having love interest. And prove that both theories are correct, but seriously, I have yet to see how the granddaughter theory makes any fucking sense or justification to let it ride till episode 9, cause that's just dragging this shit on and I hope he learned a lesson from the whole Khan bullshit and doesn't do a twist for the sake of a twist.
Old 01-13-16, 06:06 AM

My crazy theory on Rey's family:

She is not related to any OT character, but Luke and Force Ghost's Yoda/Obiwan sensed her great power and that is why they pushed her parents to have her hidden on Jakku.

This opens up the possibility for Disney to make Episodes 10,11,12 exploring Rey's family (maybe she has a brother? sister? cousin?) and it turns into an eventual reboot as 1-6 is about the Skywalker Family and 7-12 is about Rey's family.

Last edited by coli; 01-13-16 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-13-16, 07:58 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a theory you made up.... so.... that's not spoiler worthy especially considering how far out we are right now from the next one and especially IX
Old 01-13-16, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Well supposedly Lucas himself signed it. I don't know if that would make Disney take notice. I'm not really worried about it I just can't believe that there's actually a group of fans who actually want him back in the picture.
Believe it or not, but there's actually some semblance of a critical reevaluation of Lucas developing in the wake of TFA. There's been a handful of articles in recent weeks from legitimate publications (not just random blogs on the subject). This piece from the New Yorker does a good job of covering the phenomenon and includes a lot of quotes (with links) from other articles. It's long, so I won't post the whole thing, but here's one relevant chunk:

Listen to the hum of the think pieces. Lucas’s original “Star Wars,” débuting in 1977, may have plundered everything from Kurosawa to “Flash Gordon,” but it “was at least an inspired act of cultural appropriation,” the Los Angeles Times’ Michael Hiltzik wrote last week. By contrast, Abrams only succeeded—per Vox’s Peter Suderman—in evoking Lucas’s movies. This is the gist of the Lucas reawakening: that in the era of reboots, his pastiches have a kind of integrity. “ ‘A New Hope’ and ‘Empire’ are both masterpieces of pop art in a way that none of the endlessly-proliferating Marvel-universe or D.C. blockbusters are likely to ever be,” the Times’ Ross Douthat wrote.

That argument you might have expected—new movies tend to send us back to the Blu-ray player, and the original trilogy never lost its glow. But even Lucas’s loathed “Star Wars” prequels have gotten a second look. They’re no longer seen as generation-smiting events—or just generation-smiting events. They’re noble failures. “In his clumsy way [Lucas] was going for what had never been done instead of redoing something that had,” New York’s David Edelstein wrote. Vice’s Brian Merchant left the theater after “The Force Awakens” “kind of wish[ing] it was more like the prequels. That George Lucas had been more involved.”
While I certainly don't need to see Lucas direct another Star Wars movie ever again, I will say that after seeing TFA I have a much clearer understanding of what Lucas does bring to the table creatively. I'd argue that there's more wonder and imagination in just about any given scene in the prequels than there is in the entirety of TFA. Part of that was no doubt by the design of JJ, Kathleen Kennedy and company, but even what little new we get, ranges from underwhelming (Maz) to outright awful (Rathtars). It's too bad that in order to avoid repeating the mistakes of the prequels we also lost a lot of the good Lucas stuff as well.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (06-20-21)
Old 01-13-16, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I dunno. Personally I think that Lucas at one point maybe had more creativity in him but somewhere along the way he lost it. I also will say that while I give him credit for creating the characters and universe I don't think that he's necessarily solely responsible for the success of the Original Trilogy. We know that those films were much more of a collaborative effort and even the one that he had more control of then (Return of the Jedi) gets some criticism.

The Prequel Trilogy just wasn't good at all. There may have been some decent ideas sprinkled throughout but on a whole they don't add up to be good films and I think while Abrams borrowing from the Original Trilogy can be seen negatively through some eyes I can understand why he did his film in the way he did. It was a good way to re-establish Star Wars and to bring people back to the universe established more by the Original Trilogy. Plus it did it in a way where it told a new and engaging story and introduced us to new characters. The franchise has plenty of room to grow and give us newer and more out there ideas going forward but I think The Force Awakens was a good starting point.

The idea of creativity Lucas had by the time he did the Prequel Trilogy was essentially use as much CG as he could to create the landscape and characters. Along with that they were riddled with bad dialogue and poor acting for the most part and all of this happened when Lucas was essentially left in control with a bunch of yes people who wouldn't tell him that some of his ideas were shit.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-13-16 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-13-16, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I dunno. Personally I think that Lucas at one point maybe had more creativity in him but somewhere along the way he lost it. I also will say that while I give him credit for creating the character and universe I don't think that he's necessarily solely responsible for the success of the Original Trilogy. We know that those films were much more of a collaborative effort and even the one that he had more control of then (Return of the Jedi) gets some criticism.

The Prequel Trilogy just wasn't good at all. There may have been some decent ideas sprinkled throughout but on a whole they don't add up to be good films and I think while Abrams borrowing from the Original Trilogy can be seen negatively through some eyes I can understand why he did his film in the way he did. The idea of creativity Lucas had by the time he did the Prequel Trilogy was essentially use as much CG as he could to create the landscape and characters. Along with that they were riddled with bad dialogue and poor acting for the most part and all of this happened when Lucas was essentially left in control with a bunch of yes people who wouldn't tell him that some of his ideas were shit.
Nobody's denying that film is a collaborative medium. And no one is denying that the prequels sucked either. All I'm saying (and what a lot of these articles are saying) is that Lucas does have some positive qualities and for me they're much easier to discern now that we have our first "Lucas-free" Star Wars movie. Like I said, I don't want to see him direct another one, but I kind of get it if someone else does.
Old 01-13-16, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I still don't really think he adds much now days though. The prequels essentially confirmed that most of the ideas he has now days aren't very good and I don't think that would change in a hypothetical future Lucas directed Star Wars film.
Old 01-13-16, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I still don't really think he adds much now days though. The prequels essentially confirmed that most of the ideas he has now days aren't very good and I don't think that would change in a hypothetical future Lucas directed Star Wars film.
Well, I'm referring mostly to Lucas's imagination as it relates to world building, ie the characters/aliens, the ships and technology and the locales. They may not have always been utilized in the most interesting or tasteful ways, but some of the design work was pretty inspired and at the very least showed an active imagination. For me, that was the biggest element missing from TFA.
Old 01-13-16, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
The 8 year old who knocked on my door selling school candy this afternoon is more qualified to direct Star Wars than Lucas.
Let's not get ridiculous now.
Old 01-13-16, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Listen to the hum of the think pieces. Lucas’s original “Star Wars,” débuting in 1977, may have plundered everything from Kurosawa to “Flash Gordon,” but it “was at least an inspired act of cultural appropriation,” the Los Angeles Times’ Michael Hiltzik wrote last week. By contrast, Abrams only succeeded—per Vox’s Peter Suderman—in evoking Lucas’s movies. This is the gist of the Lucas reawakening: that in the era of reboots, his pastiches have a kind of integrity. “ ‘A New Hope’ and ‘Empire’ are both masterpieces of pop art in a way that none of the endlessly-proliferating Marvel-universe or D.C. blockbusters are likely to ever be,” the Times’ Ross Douthat wrote.

That argument you might have expected—new movies tend to send us back to the Blu-ray player, and the original trilogy never lost its glow. But even Lucas’s loathed “Star Wars” prequels have gotten a second look. They’re no longer seen as generation-smiting events—or just generation-smiting events. They’re noble failures. “In his clumsy way [Lucas] was going for what had never been done instead of redoing something that had,” New York’s David Edelstein wrote. Vice’s Brian Merchant left the theater after “The Force Awakens” “kind of wish[ing] it was more like the prequels. That George Lucas had been more involved.”
I actually disagree with his analysis and it really doesn't have to do anything with Lucas. The reason most franchise sequels today suck is not because they are recycling the original stories, its because they don't care about character development or drama.

For example a movie like Jurassic World is just another sequel that wows people but there are no great characters or nothing dramatic that will resonate with the viewer when they pop it in their blu ray player 10 years from now.

Whatever you want to say about TFA and it taking plot points from ANH, the movie has interesting characters that they can build on in Episodes 8 & 9, and it has some dramatic moments that will even work 10 years from now when fans revisit the film.

Trust me, I stopped going to summer blockbusters because most of them are just CGI-fests that wow teenagers and don't give you anything in terms of character development. The last summer blockbuster I can remember that did this was the Dark Knight Trilogy as Nolan cared just as much about the characters as he did with everything else. That is why Cameron's early movies (Terminator, Aliens, T2, The Abyss) are so great as he was able to make a big time blockbuster movie that was fun to watch, but they were well-made characters that you cared about and weren't one dimensional.

My thing with Lucas is he lost touch on what type of characters resonate with the viewer. My beef with the PT wasn't the story, my beef was I didn't give a rats ass about Anakin & Padme. I care about Rey, Finn and Poe, and even Kylo Ren and that is why TFA is much better then the PT.
Old 01-13-16, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Ummm, TPM was ANH. The movies are one and the same with the exception being that one is good and the other is shit. What "new" was Lucas trying to mine with TPM?
Old 01-13-16, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I really like the basic plot of the prequels (Palpatine creating a war and playing both sides against each other to set himself up as Emperor). The characters (other than Palpatine), dialogue, and acting all suck, though, and that's all on Lucas.

I don't want him anywhere near a movie set ever again. And I don't want him to have input of any kind on any Star Wars movie, either.
Old 01-13-16, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Ummm, TPM was ANH. The movies are one and the same with the exception being that one is good and the other is shit. What "new" was Lucas trying to mine with TPM?
Political intrigue!
Old 01-29-16, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Colin Trevorrow says Star Wars: Episode IX will shoot on film
Speaking at the “Power of Story: The Art of Film” panel at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival, the Jurassic World director said that he would shoot Star Wars: Episode IX on film, just as he did with Jurassic World.

“I could never shoot Star Wars on anything but [film] because it’s a period film: It happened a long time ago,” Trevorrow joked, explaining on the panel that he doesn’t like shooting period pieces with digital tools.
“I asked the question, ‘Is it possible for us to shoot IMAX film plates in actual space for Star Wars, and I haven’t gotten an answer yet, but they’ve shot IMAX in space,” Trevorrow said on the panel.

Christopher Nolan, who was at the event with Trevorrow, said he had the same conversations before shooting Interstellar, and that now “there’s incredible footage from space” because of their work.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/29...e-9-film-space
Old 01-29-16, 12:52 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Believe it or not, but there's actually some semblance of a critical reevaluation of Lucas developing in the wake of TFA. There's been a handful of articles in recent weeks from legitimate publications (not just random blogs on the subject). This piece from the New Yorker does a good job of covering the phenomenon and includes a lot of quotes (with links) from other articles. It's long, so I won't post the whole thing, but here's one relevant chunk:

While I certainly don't need to see Lucas direct another Star Wars movie ever again, I will say that after seeing TFA I have a much clearer understanding of what Lucas does bring to the table creatively. I'd argue that there's more wonder and imagination in just about any given scene in the prequels than there is in the entirety of TFA. Part of that was no doubt by the design of JJ, Kathleen Kennedy and company, but even what little new we get, ranges from underwhelming (Maz) to outright awful (Rathtars). It's too bad that in order to avoid repeating the mistakes of the prequels we also lost a lot of the good Lucas stuff as well.
This line of thinking takes ignorance to a new low. I don't even know where to start. "More wonder and imagination in any one scene of the prequels than in the entirety of TFA". No one feels that way. The writer doesn't even feel that way. It's impossible to feel that way. "Any" scene? Really?
Old 01-29-16, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
This opens up the possibility for Disney to make Episodes 10,11,12 exploring Rey's family (maybe she has a brother? sister? cousin?) and it turns into an eventual reboot as 1-6 is about the Skywalker Family and 7-12 is about Rey's family.
As long as Kylo Ren is around, the new movies are still following the third generation Skywalker family.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.