Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-17, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Re: Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4

Visually it's the most stunning game if you ask me. Gameplay is so good you'll find most sidequest stuff real fun too. I was so over leveled it wasn't funny , but didn't mean I didn't enjoy it. Nothing wrong with being a badass.

The fact its open world hurts it, in the sense you forget main story threads and they don't hold such impact when you come back to them. Unlike say Last of Us whos game is on a rail of sorts but it also keeps the game flowing so perfectly. But all open world games kinda suffer for it.

But still best looking ever in 4k HDR it's just beyond stunning at times. Killing and hunting also so much fun which is why I was so overleveled but what a joy.

Cutscene wasn't up to Last of Us quality either. But still was just fine. Man what a game. I've only done a couple of those cauldrons I'll go back do some little stuff when I get time.
Old 03-16-17, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Not played it since the weekend (too busy checking out the latest No Mans Sky update and GR:Wildlands) but gonna get back to it shortly. Currently at level 31. I did a couple more cauldrons and I think I might have only one or two more to complete. I continued the storyline a bit more as well, but keep alternative between things (checking vantage points, collecting the flowers, side quests, capturing bases, and general hunting). I really don't have a problem with open world games and the player being able to go back and forth. Etwwen the main storyline, but I do have a problem with open worlds that have a whole lot of nothing and side missions tend to be just collecting things for no reward. A game like Crackdown made you want to collect the orbs as the more you got the more powerful your character would become.

When I first saw trailers for this game I thought it looked great but upon playing it the game would never live up to those trailers. I am so glad that it really did. Just superb.
Old 03-16-17, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Are you going to Fast Travel to your vacation destination?
I wish I did!

Funny enough, my flight leaving and returning both got delayed by 45 minutes to an hour.

Played a little bit for the first time since coming back from vacation and my game froze twice
Old 03-17-17, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We just got back as well and I can't wait to jump back in tomorrow.
Old 03-17-17, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gonna spend some serious time over the weekend on this. I played for an hour last night and completed the last cauldron. I do love how this game can get crazy very quickly. I have been upping the weapons for a while and i bought an expensive bow only to find that it shoots like shit. It certainly pays dividends to mix it up with the weapons list you have at hand.

Reading the news yesterday that this game has been selling very well indeed is great. DLC and certainly a sequel will be coming our way. I am all for it.

Oh, and nice to see a game that from first boot seems to not have many serious issues. Too many games get released these days which are only half complete.
Old 03-18-17, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I'm not a fan of the cauldrons at all. Worst part of an otherwise great game, IMO.
Old 03-18-17, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm about 34 hours in and I'm at Level 40.

I've found all the Tallnecks, finished about 3 Cauldrons and I'm digging into more of the Bandit Camps.

Dodging a Snapmaw is so epic!
Old 03-18-17, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I killed my first Thunderjaw last night. I was pretty proud about that accomplishment
Old 03-18-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
I'm about 34 hours in and I'm at Level 40.

I've found all the Tallnecks, finished about 3 Cauldrons and I'm digging into more of the Bandit Camps.

Dodging a Snapmaw is so epic!
Just curious, where are you finding playtime? Is it in the menu anywhere or is this just an estimate?

I wrapped this one up this morning after I don't know how many hours. As usual, I got way too wrapped up in side quests and errands, so by the time I got back to the main quest, I was overleveled and basically ready to be done playing. I blasted through the last 4 main missions pretty quickly.

Still, this has been, hands down, the best game I've played in years.
Old 03-18-17, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lopper
Just curious, where are you finding playtime? Is it in the menu anywhere or is this just an estimate?
When you go to any Campfire to (Manually) save, not Quick Save, the menu that pops up gives you your Save Time.

Originally Posted by mattysemo247
I killed my first Thunderjaw last night. I was pretty proud about that accomplishment
The Thunderjaw & Stormbird battles never get old!

Just finished all the Bandit Camps and Cauldrons!
Old 03-18-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The purple ropecaster makes it a breeze.
Old 03-18-17, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D
Never did find that.

Might pop the game back in to see my play time. Genuinely curious. Just started BotW and, hoo boy, that's going to turn in to something pretty great.
Old 03-18-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Played today and currently at level 43. I can tell I am close to the end. Zelda might be getting a lot of airtime at the moment, but I seriously doubt the storyline is anywhere near as strong as this one. It's been a joy to play. Not many side missions o my list as well, so might need to check which ones I am missing. I already cannot wait for the sequel. Bigger, better, more. I would like to see more underground combat with the staff for one thing.
Old 03-18-17, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Lol so did I. Finished him off with a Ravager cannon.
Old 03-18-17, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lopper
Never did find that.

Might pop the game back in to see my play time. Genuinely curious. Just started BotW and, hoo boy, that's going to turn in to something pretty great.
The Shadow Ropecaster? A lot of the Merchants sell it.

I put more work into the Main Quest, I think I'm nearing the end. Taking a break from the Main Quest now to hunt/fish to upgrade my Carry Capacity.
Old 03-18-17, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asianxcore
The Shadow Ropecaster? A lot of the Merchants sell it.
Yep, that's the one. Throw some handling mods on it and you can get them down in less than 10 seconds.
Old 03-19-17, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't get the heart to buy the damn thing.
Old 03-19-17, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't get the heart to buy the damn thing.
More often than not you'll get Hearts if you kill a lot of the same Machines. You can hunt for them on your map as you open it up via Tallnecks.

If you have a LOT of Shards to burn, there is a Merchant in Meridian that just sells Resources from Machines (such as Hearts). Costs way less to just kill a bunch of Machines for them.

Yep, that's the one. Throw some handling mods on it and you can get them down in less than 10 seconds.
I put a bunch of high-percentage Tear Mods on mine and was holding down Stormbirds with ease!
Old 03-20-17, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well just completed it. That was a fantastic end battle. It wasn't that hard as I sold a lot of unneeded resources/modifications and pumped it all into needed resources.

This has been an incredible game and it's nice to see that the ending shows we can expect more to come.
Old 03-20-17, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh and I see the level cap is 50. Been playing the last few side quests and no longer leveling.
Old 03-20-17, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ran into my first Rockbreaker yesterday (or should I say it ran into me)
pretty cool though it can obviously be "cheesed" if you find high ground

taking my time/pacing myself with the game as I usually bore and give up on open world games as they aren't my favorite genre .... I really need to stick with the main story line and stop with all the side quest distractions because as this game continues to throw out more and more characters the less I care or feel invested in them
Old 03-20-17, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I ran into the same problem. You will eventually get to one section of the game and there is no fewer than six people in that area that have side missions for you. So I kinda stopped on those for now since I have so many lined up now and it's been hard to completely follow the story when you are constantly running errands for everyone else.

I'm feeling I have to be getting close to the end. I'm at the part where

Spoiler:
Lance Reddick was just introduced to me after finding another power cell
Old 03-20-17, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The quest to find all the power cells to get that armor is well worth it. The armor is fantastic. It's basically makes you invulnerable for short periods of time once the fighting starts.

I am really getting the scraps of the game now as I have found all vantage points, all special items, completed all missions and quests (except for the tutorials and training camps which I have little enthusiasm for), all flowers, all relics, beat all camps and done all cauldrons. I am still enjoying just taking down creatures, but it's at a point now where it takes a hell of a lot to stop me. Probably move on to another game in the pile.
Old 03-21-17, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Played a couple more hours last night and got a lot accomplished. Finally got the Snapjaw heart after killing six more of those suckers and was able to buy the Shadow Ropecaster. I think it helped that I finally unlocked the perk where you are able to get more resources from robots. Also climbed two more Tallnecks to clear out more of the map and tackled another cauldrons. I'm level 35 and over 20 hours in and it still feels like there is so much more to do in the world.

Originally Posted by james2025a
The quest to find all the power cells to get that armor is well worth it. The armor is fantastic. It's basically makes you invulnerable for short periods of time once the fighting starts.
Question, I'm still missing one more power cell. Is there a way to find out which one I'm missing or is it something I will just stumble on during one of the main missions?
Old 03-21-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The last power cell comes in one of the last main quests (the one where you enter into the mountain). That armor is fantastic when you get it and really makes fights a whole lot easier. Just as well as the last battle takes a lot of blasting. Make sure you are well geared up with weapons, ammo, resources, traps.....everything. Plus it has to be done in a time limit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.