Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-17, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Let's talk about Ultra HD Blu-ray

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Believe it or not, the Entertainment Software Association's most recent survey pegs the average age of a "frequent game purchaser" as 38. Average age of a male gamer is 35.

I think Sony just couldn't make the numbers work. UHD BD support would require either raising the price or losing their margins, and they decided it wasn't worth it.
As the PS4 Pro isn't worth it, either. I understand it's more powerful than the Xbox One S and all but who really needs that marginal upgrade?
Old 03-19-17, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

So who here on the forums is 4K compliant and collecting UHD? Can't believe there isnt' more chatter about UHD here.

Seems like a good time to be into the format. After a few months, we're really going to have a nice blend of new and catalog titles.
Old 03-19-17, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I got mine a couple months ago. To date I only have 3 UHD titles; Hacksaw Ridge, John Wick and Jack Reacher. Don't think I would upgrade any BR to UHD, but any new titles in UHD that I would buy I would get the UHD version assuming the difference is
Old 03-19-17, 03:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
So who here on the forums is 4K compliant and collecting UHD? Can't believe there isnt' more chatter about UHD here.

Seems like a good time to be into the format. After a few months, we're really going to have a nice blend of new and catalog titles.
We started talking about it a year ago or so, but the traction picked up over the past 6 months. And that part makes a big difference - once we really start to get a nice mix of new and old on UHD, talk will increase. But since we have a trickle of UHD players out, and everyone slowly getting a 4K TV, there's not much to discuss at this point in time.

I will say this, this weekend I've been messing with UHD on Vudu and comparing it to the UHD of movies like with Star Trek Beyond, Magnificent Seven, Arrival, and BvS. At least for now, the UHD will reign supreme. In one particular instance because my area briefly lost internet service for about an hour. Good thing UHD isn't dependent on that. But for me, I can see a slightly crisper picture from HDX to UHD streaming. But there seems to be an added smoothness with watching the disc. Atmos sound is overall more or less the same.
Old 03-19-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm waiting for a UHD player. I don't care enough to buy a standalone player and since the PS4 Pro didn't come with one, i'm basically waiting for the Xbox Scorpio.
Old 03-19-17, 04:32 PM
Banned by request

Speaking of, here's a bit about the Scorpio (and Samsung QLED TV's).

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MkVzQ0EBMD0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-19-17, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I have an Xbox One S and tried that for a UHD player. It's perfectly fine but I also just bought the new Sony UHD player which seemingly outperforms the Oppo and Samsung players. Disc compatibility has been amazing... and it's only $300. It looks better too.

But I can certainly understand wanting to get more bang for your buck with a console option. I'd reconsider the Scorpio, personally. Microsoft has a foot out the console space. The other one will follow eventually. They're going to try with the Scorpio but if it underperforms for them expect even heavier integration of their games in the PC world.

Discs can also be expensive but they are a premium product currently and they also come with a Blu-ray copy so I'm alright with it. Discs go on sale from time to time though. Right now there's a handful of discs at Best Buy for only $14.99.
Old 03-19-17, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I have an Xbox One S and tried that for a UHD player. It's perfectly fine but I also just bought the new Sony UHD player which seemingly outperforms the Oppo and Samsung players. Disc compatibility has been amazing... and it's only $300. It looks better too.

But I can certainly understand wanting to get more bang for your buck with a console option. I'd reconsider the Scorpio, personally. Microsoft has a foot out the console space. The other one will follow eventually. They're going to try with the Scorpio but if it underperforms for them expect even heavier integration of their games in the PC world.

Discs can also be expensive but they are a premium product currently and they also come with a Blu-ray copy so I'm alright with it. Discs go on sale from time to time though. Right now there's a handful of discs at Best Buy for only $14.99.
Can you clarify what you mean when you say that the Sony UHD player "seemingly" outperforms the Oppo? I haven't been following any of the Sony UHD player threads but I am curious since I have the Oppo.
Old 03-19-17, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I say seemingly because I don't have an Oppo, but apparently the Oppo has had some hiccups and it isn't always smooth sailing with disc compatibility. I've heard people report stutters and/or slight freezes when watching discs, flickering, etc. There are those who are really happy with Oppo as well so take it all with a grain of salt, but it's been said that the technology inside the Sony player is pretty darn close to whatever the Oppo is using.

Another thing too is, the Oppo is what, $550? The Sony undercuts that by a lot. When you're spending that less, even if the Sony had minor shortcomings when compared to the Oppo, it's worth biting at that price point.
Old 03-19-17, 07:55 PM
Banned by request

Hell, I got the Phillips 7501 for $98 and it does everything the other players do. And I have zero need for it to play every file type, so it works out just fine for me. And I already have another Region free player, so I don't need it for that.
Old 03-19-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by E Unit
Hell, I got the Phillips 7501 for $98 and it does everything the other players do. And I have zero need for it to play every file type, so it works out just fine for me. And I already have another Region free player, so I don't need it for that.
Eh, not every player is created equally when it comes to quality. You definitely got the 'bang for the buck' option but I wanted to get a stand-alone that was both of high quality and bang for the buck, and just before this Sony player came out, that answer was most likely the Xbox One S. Now, I'm thrilled to have the Sony and I haven't even turned on my Xbox One S in weeks.
Old 03-19-17, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

I say seemingly because I don't have an Oppo, but apparently the Oppo has had some hiccups and it isn't always smooth sailing with disc compatibility. I've heard people report stutters and/or slight freezes when watching discs, flickering, etc. There are those who are really happy with Oppo as well so take it all with a grain of salt, but it's been said that the technology inside the Sony player is pretty darn close to whatever the Oppo is using.

Another thing too is, the Oppo is what, $550? The Sony undercuts that by a lot. When you're spending that less, even if the Sony had minor shortcomings when compared to the Oppo, it's worth biting at that price point.
Thanks for clarifying. I thought you might have meant it has better PQ, but you apparently mean reliability.
Old 03-19-17, 08:35 PM
Banned by request

Eh, not every player is created equally when it comes to quality. You definitely got the 'bang for the buck' option but I wanted to get a stand-alone that was both of high quality and bang for the buck, and just before this Sony player came out, that answer was most likely the Xbox One S. Now, I'm thrilled to have the Sony and I haven't even turned on my Xbox One S in weeks.
Yep, and that's exactly what I got with my Phillips, and no need to shell out $300.
Old 03-19-17, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If you're happy with it, that's all that matters. I've seen reviews and comments online that say it doesn't produce as sharp a 4K image as other players, so that's why I wouldn't personally consider it.
Old 03-19-17, 10:02 PM
Banned by request

Ha, okay. It's pretty much puts out a reference picture on my LG OLED. But if you're happy with yours, then I guess we both win.
Old 03-20-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I disagree, I don't think Microsoft has a foot out the door at all. And I never understood the doom/gloom some console owners seem to have with their move to put games on the Windows Store, and if anything they're just expanding consumer reach across all platforms. But that's a discussion we can have in the video game subforum
Old 03-20-17, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

I picked up an XBox One S over the Holidays (trading my old 360 and a bunch of 360 games)

I got it mainly for the next gen game upgrade, but I like that I get more bang for my buck with the UHD capabilities as well.

I haven't gone crazy buying a shit load of discs. Discs aren't cheap. I did pick up a few: Magnificent 7, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, Passengers, and Hacksaw Ridge.

This is an extremely niche product and I know it's not going to appeal to everyone. So for the most part, I'm still going to pick up the BD of a movie I really like, but for UHD's, I'm going to be really selective.

In this day and age when many homes have less disposable income and far too many options for entertainment, I don't think UHD will be a huge hit and sell like hot cakes. But, it will have it's niche appeal and followers.
Old 03-20-17, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I picked up an XBox One S over the Holidays (trading my old 360 and a bunch of 360 games)

I got it mainly for the next gen game upgrade, but I like that I get more bang for my buck with the UHD capabilities as well.

I haven't gone crazy buying a shit load of discs. Discs aren't cheap. I did pick up a few: Magnificent 7, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back, Passengers, and Hacksaw Ridge.

This is an extremely niche product and I know it's not going to appeal to everyone. So for the most part, I'm still going to pick up the BD of a movie I really like, but for UHD's, I'm going to be really selective.

In this day and age when many homes have less disposable income and far too many options for entertainment, I don't think UHD will be a huge hit and sell like hot cakes. But, it will have it's niche appeal and followers.
UHD actually got me excited about buying a few discs to freshen up my collection but there just aren't that many titles available. Reminds of the early days of DVD, so much demand and so little supply. I have Reacher, Wick and Hacksaw. Although all of them look better than their BR counterpart, the difference is not dramatic. Fortunately with the kids grown and the mortgage paid off, I actually do have some disposable income these days. But I'll buy the UHD as long as the difference is just $5 or $6. If it's $10, I'll learn to love the BR.

VHS - DVD = Revolutionary - Holy Crappolli, the picture, the sound, the extras, we love it.
DVD - BR = Evolutionary - looks great, one of these days I'll have to upgrade
BR -UHD = tweak, sure I see the difference, I'll have to upgrade when my TV starts to go.
4K - 8K = minor adjustment, I guess I kind of see a difference, muther f'er I have to upgrade again?
8K - 12K = 5 out of 10 can't see the difference. I'll be old and have given up on technology anyway, no more upgrades.
Old 03-20-17, 07:15 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

You missed laser disc in between VHS and DVD. It made DVD evolutionary too, similar resolution, dolby digital audio, commentary tracks, etc.
Old 03-20-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
You missed laser disc in between VHS and DVD. It made DVD evolutionary too, similar resolution, dolby digital audio, commentary tracks, etc.
You could also mention VideoCD, HD DVD, DIVX, etc...

However, I think JimRochester's comparison is accurate in that, for the majority of consumers, the transition was from VHS to DVD.

And that may mean that for the majority of consumers, the transition from DVD wasn't to Blu-ray, UHD Blu-ray, etc, but to streaming. Like how music went from audio cassette to CD to digital download/streaming, forgoing the superior audio of SACD, DVD-A, and Blu-ray audio for convenience.
Old 03-21-17, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PerryD
LD pre-dates VHS.
Old 03-21-17, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Picked up an XBOX One S over the holidays, scored X-Men Apocalypse with it. Also picked up Batman V Superman and received Ghostbusters as a gift. I like the upgraded picture quality, but the prices on releases have put me off from making further purchases
Old 03-21-17, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
LD pre-dates VHS.
Not as a commercial format.
Old 03-21-17, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
LD pre-dates VHS.
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Not as a commercial format.
Just to clarify: Laserdisc was first demonstrated in 1972, but wasn't released commercially until 1978. VHS had a functional prototype in 1973, but was released commercially in 1976. So Laserdisc was "invented" first, but released second.

Of course, there were also home videocassette precursors to VHS, like the U-Matic released in 1971, The "VCR" format released in 1972, the Cartrivision format, also in 1972, and of course Betamax, released in 1975:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Videoc...r#Sony_U-matic
Old 03-21-17, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

If they are going to take their UHDs from 2k sources, we are not going to see much of an upgrade over a BD. I popped in my 4k copy of Suicide Squad and then the blu ray and they looked identical. I couldn't any discernible differences. It sounds like the same thing is happening on many of the other supposed 4k releases.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.