Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Reasonbly Priced Region Free BD/DVD Player Recommendations

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Reasonbly Priced Region Free BD/DVD Player Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-15, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 333 Likes on 252 Posts
Re: Reasonbly Priced Region Free BD/DVD Player Recommendations

If a DVD player plays a disc with the wrong region code, it will just refuse to play the disc outright and eject the disc and/or show a player-generated message onscreen. On Blu-Rays, there's always an actual screen on the disc (saying that the disc is region-coded) that is played if the player has the wrong region- so technically the player is still playing it, but it's gone to that screen instead of whatever the first thing it would normally go to. There's been a few discs (like "Inferno") where you can then manually select the "Title" of the main movie and play it, as they forgot to lock that control out.

Here's Paramount's region-coding screen; most of their movies are actually region-free, this was from a South Park disc:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yQL2Q24shKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-31-15, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I haven't decided if I'm going to or not, but could I sell my region-free BD player over in our trading forum if I wanted to, or is that limited to discs?
Old 05-31-15, 08:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I would think selling a player would be fine to sell there, especially for those who have been on the forum for a while.
Old 01-04-16, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Any good options for a cheap all region dvd player these days? The dvds I have are not blu-ray so I don't care about that part.
Old 01-04-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Any good options for a cheap all region dvd player these days? The dvds I have are not blu-ray so I don't care about that part.
DVD player hacks are so common it's basically just pick a player and then see if a hack exists.

For example, I searched DVD players on BestBuy.com and came across this Samsung DVD-C500 for $39.99:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-...&skuId=9837617

Here is the remote control hack for it:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks?dv...h=Search#32538

It looks like Samsung, Philips, and LG players are ones likely to have a hack available.
Old 01-04-16, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks. I have a Sony that's not that old.

Also noticed Amazon is selling non blu ray players all region for $37-75 w/USB or HDMI (higher price).
Old 03-04-16, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
Thanks. I have a Sony that's not that old.

Also noticed Amazon is selling non blu ray players all region for $37-75 w/USB or HDMI (higher price).
I remember paying like 200 about 12 years or so ago for an OPPO
Old 03-05-16, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

From a very different perspective, though maybe not what one has in mind.

The easiest "region free" dvd player, is to play dvds on the computer using an open source dvd/media player like VLC.

If one buys a lot of out-of-region dvd discs, another option is to buy another computer dvd drive and set it to another region. For example, if I was buying a lot of dvds from europe, I would probably set up a second computer dvd drive to region 2. Brand new computer dvd drives are around $20 these days.

(Similar story with bluray).
Old 03-14-16, 02:00 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

A couple of people were asking me recently about reasonable, cheap, multi-region 3D Blu-ray players - and a brief search gave mixed reviews for a $100ish Sony BD-S6500 player... any comments or criticisms (or other options)?
Old 03-14-16, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ntnon
A couple of people were asking me recently about reasonable, cheap, multi-region 3D Blu-ray players - and a brief search gave mixed reviews for a $100ish Sony BD-S6500 player... any comments or criticisms (or other options)?
Sony's a good brand, but there's no way it's going to play other region Blu-rays out of the box unless you buy it from a company that mods the players first.

Buying it from a modder bumps the price up to $240 (for region-free Blu-ray):
http://www.world-import.com/sony-bdp....CxuMuOET.dpbs
http://www.220-electronics.com/regio...ay-player.html

If you only need DVD playback to be region-free, there's a remote code for that, using a universal remote, so you can buy the player from anywhere and use the code:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/sony-bdp-s6500/12587
Old 03-14-16, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Sony's a good brand, but there's no way it's going to play other region Blu-rays out of the box unless you buy it from a company that mods the players first.
Hm. Yes, I thought that'd what I was reading in this thread...

I suspect if it's +$100 for multi-region capability I'd be better off advising buying any-old US player and then impprting a UK one for UK discs, then? Sounds a lot cheaper...

That being the case... is there a good advice thread just for 'cheap, decent blu-ray players'? Sony and Sumsung seem popular, and many of the other names I read being recommended are several times as expensive.
Old 03-14-16, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ntnon
I suspect if it's +$100 for multi-region capability I'd be better off advising buying any-old US player and then impprting a UK one for UK discs, then? Sounds a lot cheaper...
Keep in mind that UK Blu-ray players will have a different electical plug, may not work with US electrical voltage/current, and may not work with NTSC/ATSC TVs. You'll have to do your research to see if the player will work with both US power and with your TV. I'm not even sure how much of this information will be available reliably, since most people aren't importing players.
Old 03-14-16, 06:38 PM

Keep in mind that UK Blu-ray players will have a different electical plug, may not work with US electrical voltage/current, and may not work with NTSC/ATSC TVs. You'll have to do your research to see if the player will work with both US power and with your TV. I'm not even sure how much of this information will be available reliably, since most people aren't importing players.
Plug I'd thought of; the rest... not. I may not advise thst, then!
Old 03-26-16, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Multisystem-Electronics right now has the refurbished Sony Multi- Region S5200 2D/3D Blu Ray & DVD Player for $89, fullfilled by Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...2a4cd93e294f10
Old 03-28-16, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Now showing as $99 refurbed shipped by Amazon, and $89 used shipped from Amazon. Both say fully verified as working on all functions and come with a 1 year warranty.
Old 03-28-16, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
Now showing as $99 refurbed shipped by Amazon, and $89 used shipped from Amazon. Both say fully verified as working on all functions and come with a 1 year warranty.
I grabbed a used one for $89, the checkout said there were about a dozen available.

I only have one Region B Blu-ray (Shaolin Soccer) currently. I'll test that and a few Region 2 PAL DVDs on it when I get it.
Old 03-30-16, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Great fucking deal.
Old 03-31-16, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I must admit that I am seriously tempted. Problem is my current players still work great, and I am not sure that I want to open up to buying other region discs. That could be a pricy scenario for me.
Old 03-31-16, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jjcool
I must admit that I am seriously tempted. Problem is my current players still work great, and I am not sure that I want to open up to buying other region discs. That could be a pricy scenario for me.
It can actually save you money on certain titles. Unless you mean the availability of cheaper versions will prompt you to buy more.
Old 04-01-16, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unless you mean the availability of cheaper versions will prompt you to buy more.
Well there's that, plus it opens up my wallet to every title available world wide. So stuff that I would not be getting because it wasn't available and playable in my region, I would now be getting. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of stuff that I want from other regions. I just have to draw the line somehwere. I have found the excuse of "It won't play on my player" works well for me to curtail that spending.
Old 04-04-16, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bacigalup
Multisystem-Electronics right now has the refurbished Sony Multi- Region S5200 2D/3D Blu Ray & DVD Player for $89, fullfilled by Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...dVeryGood=true
So I bought the "Used - Very Good" one for $89. The box was a little beat up, obviously opened and resealed. There was a "U - VG" sticker on the box too, along with a sticker from Multisystem Electronics touting the all-region aspect.

Inside everything was packed up nicely. No batteries for the remote, but no matter. The player was in plastic, but upon removing noticed some dust on it and a small scratch. I guess that's why it wasn't marked "like new."

Packed with were instructions on how to change the Blu-ray region (no disc, cold boot, press one of the colored buttons when the standard menu comes up). I played a region A Blu-ray, then turned it off and changed region, then played a region B Blu-ray. Also tried an R2 PAL and an R4 PAL DVD, and those played fine on my NTSC TV, no need to change settings.

I also set up the wifi and checked the firmware, which was on the latest version.

Edit: The link above still has some $99 refurbs, but they look sold out of the used $89 ones for now.
Old 04-08-16, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OK-just ordered one of the refurbs for $99 and will be here Sunday.

Thanks for info.
Old 04-11-16, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Looks like I'm in the market for a new region free player. Mine just shit the bed about 30 minutes ago.

EDIT - just ordered one of those refurbs. Got free overnight shipping with Amazon - should be here tomorrow.

Last edited by Why So Blu?; 04-11-16 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The new refurbed unit just arrived and it works like a charm. I am region free again. The item looks brand new, too, so no need to fear the word "refurbished." Best $99 I ever spent.

Old 07-18-16, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

http://www.bombayelectronics.com/Son...o_bdps1500.htm

So I have finally joined the Region Free world again and purchased my 1st Region Free BD/DVD Player. I had a Region Free Toshiba DVD player in the past (still have it), but now that I'm in HD, it looks like shit on my TV in SD with the picture being stretched and I had to use RCA jacks for it (it's that old) since there was no HDMI outputs on it.

Bought this Sony BDPS1500 from Bombay Electronics in Chicago. Just shipped today. Came out to $133 with free shipping/no sales tax and also included a 5% discount.

Looking forward to it. I have a lot of Region 3 DVDs from Asia that I bought on vacations that I haven't been able to watch. As for Multi-Region BDs, I haven't gone into that direction yet, but glad it's now an option.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-18-16 at 05:11 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.