Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al. + Kurt Russell

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al. + Kurt Russell

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-14, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts
re: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al.

I suppose I get it, but the MCU films are (for the most part) critically acclaimed and nothing to look down your nose at... even if you consider yourself a "serious thespian". Plenty of A-list actresses (including Emily Blunt) were vying for the role of Black Widow. A "one-for-them" role makes me think of a great actor like Jeremy Irons slumming it in Dungeons & Dragons.
Old 08-05-14, 11:23 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
I suppose I get it, but the MCU films are (for the most part) critically acclaimed and nothing to look down your nose at... even if you consider yourself a "serious thespian". Plenty of A-list actresses (including Emily Blunt) were vying for the role of Black Widow. A "one-for-them" role makes me think of a great actor like Jeremy Irons slumming it in Dungeons & Dragons.
If you're going to be part of a "one for them" movie...Marvel is definitely the place to do it. But it's still the same mind set... get paid doing a big studio movie, then I can take a pay cut on something more personal that I'd rather do even if I'm not getting paid my normal rate.
Old 08-05-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
If you're going to be part of a "one for them" movie...Marvel is definitely the place to do it. But it's still the same mind set... get paid doing a big studio movie, then I can take a pay cut on something more personal that I'd rather do even if I'm not getting paid my normal rate.
Like Ben Affleck says from Jay and Silent Bob:

What've I been telling you? You gotta do the safe picture. Then you can do the art picture.
Old 08-05-14, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
This was Iron Man 2. MCU wasn't exactly well formed by that point in movie form. It wasn't until Avengers was actually released that they knew it was going to work as well as it did.
Old 08-05-14, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So Jamie Chung for Mantis
Doug Jones for Bug
Bryce Dallas Howard for Angela?
Old 08-05-14, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
This was Iron Man 2. MCU wasn't exactly well formed by that point in movie form. It wasn't until Avengers was actually released that they knew it was going to work as well as it did.

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Like Ben Affleck says from Jay and Silent Bob:

What've I been telling you? You gotta do the safe picture. Then you can do the art picture.
Exactly.
Old 08-05-14, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/9-Her...-66588-p9.html

James Gunn says should at least one Guardian added to the Roster.

Add Bug and Mantis and call it good. Have Cosmo be the 'ally' and Nova involved somehow.
Old 08-05-14, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

He's only recently tried to branch out from the Hollywood system. But he plans to start directing, so having all that Marvel money is a good cushion.
Given how notoriously frugal Marvel is, I'll bet that "Marvel money" is way less than anyone thinks it is.
Old 08-05-14, 04:07 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Bryce Dallas Howard for Angela?
Please let's never have Bryce Dallas Howard in any Marvel movie as anything.
Old 08-05-14, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Please let's never have Bryce Dallas Howard in any Marvel movie as anything.
Well I'm thinking red haired actress.

Although I guess you could change hair color
Old 08-10-14, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Folks at ModernMythMedia is going to be having a Guardians Q&A tomorrow for their podcast, if you want any questions answered either ask them here on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ModernMythMediaPodcast

Or On their twitter account with @ModernMythMedia and use hashtag: #GOTGQA

Old 08-12-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So Spoilerish for Guardians 2:

From James Gunn Interview: (Link is in spoiler tags)

Spoiler:

http://www.modernmythmedia.com/2014/...-the-galaxy-2/

It’s definitely not the character who it is in the comics, I’ll say that much. So no J'son of Spartax
Old 08-12-14, 05:19 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. His mum's comment about the father being an angel of light along with Yondu's jackass comment made me think it is that character. Cuz from what I remember he was an asshole.
Old 10-20-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

James Gunn Talks ‘Guardians’ Sequel, VFX, Crossovers
OCTOBER 20, 2014 | 12:35PM PT Kevin Noonan

James Gunn didn’t shy away from teasing spoilers about his “Guardians of the Galaxy” sequel at Variety’s Entertainment & Technology Summit Tuesday.

“It’s going to be a really surprising open. What happens is all the characters are killed in the first 10 minutes,” Gunn joked. “In really horribly brutal fashion.”

Jokes aside, Gunn confirmed that all five original Guardians will be back, along with unspecified other characters from the first film, and that fans may see the team adding new members. Gunn also said the new film will uncover some secrets posed in the first.

“I spent all day on August 1, the day the first movie was released, writing ‘Guardians 2,'” Gunn said. “I was so excited about it and I was finally able to let go of the last one and begin the second one. I always saw this as a universe, not just as one story.”

He also talked about what to expect from the upcoming DVD release of “Guardians,” which will arrive in stores Dec. 9. In addition to a director’s commentary, Gunn promised a number of deleted scenes that he said add to the background and context of the characters rather than distracting from or changing the story. He particularly likes a scene where Rocket Raccoon (Bradley Cooper) fakes a laugh at Peter Quill’s (Chris Pratt) plan.

“In the long version of the scene where Rocket is laughing at Quill, Quill gets very offended by that and takes a vote of the other Guardians to see who thinks that the laugh is fake,” Gunn said. “It’s a pretty fake laugh, and I think Rocket gets hurt that Groot goes against him.”

Gunn also discussed his passion for making the film in 3D, which he said was a decision he pushed for from the beginning of production. He got his way and he believes that the 3D release is one reason the film continues to see success worldwide. Gunn says it’s that international appeal that drives the decision for a studio to go 3D with a film rather than what a director necessarily wants to do with it.

“3D kind of is a wash in the United States, but in Europe it’s bigger,” he said. “So it makes much more of a difference than it does here. If it was just 3D in the United States, most people would not do 3D.”

Unlike films which simply apply 3D in post production, Gunn planned the film and its effects for the 3D experience. This meant avoiding things like shaky cam in action shots. He said his special effects training came on the set of “Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed,” which he wrote, when producer Charles Roven brought him on set presumably to groom him for directing a possible third movie in that series. Gunn said that VFX experience helped him understand what works and what doesn’t with CGI. It also led to his decision to cast his brother, “Gilmore Girls” actor Sean Gunn, as the motion reference actor on set for Rocket Raccoon rather than just using a prop stand in.

Some of the film’s technology, including the use of 3D printing to produce the guns, was a new experience for Gunn.

While not necessarily taken aback by the critical success of “Guardians of the Galaxy,” Gunn said he was surprised and enthused by the excitement its generated in fans, especially the ones who have gone to see the movie multiple times.

Despite that excitement surrounding the first film, its planned sequel and Marvel and Disney’s proven success with crossing characters over between movies, Gunn said a crossover with one particular Disney property was unlikely — even if his characters do have the ability to travel to galaxies far, far away.

“‘Star Wars’ was a long time ago,” Gunn said. “It would have to be time travel.”
Old 10-20-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Deadline reports that GOTG is now Marvel's third highest grossing film, and it has not yet been released in Italy, incredible that this film set such a high bar for other Marvel films to overcome.

Edited to add: Oops, I thought I posted this in the regular GOTG thread.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 10-20-14 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-28-14, 02:48 PM

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy 2 (Gunn, 5/5/2017) S: Diesel, et al.

Bumped up to May

Old 10-28-14, 06:34 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

bumped up to may

can't wait!!!!!
Old 12-20-14, 10:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who is Star-Lord's father? Gunn reveals one person that is definitely not the father:

Old 12-20-14, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I figured it was Kevin Bacon, why else would they mention him in the first movie?
Old 01-24-15, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mark this in the Rumor/Spoiler category, click on the link for more.

Spoiler:
http://schmoesknow.com/hot-scoop-female-character-might-key-role-avengers-age-ultron/33384/
Old 04-05-15, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Following his comments last week discussing the early state of the script, filmmaker James Gunn has now spoken a bit more about the "Guardians of the Galaxy" sequel with social media service Periscope.

The first film was primarily shot at Shepperton Studios in the United Kingdom, however the new one will be based out of Pinewood Studios in Atlanta where "Ant-Man" was shot and the upcoming "Captain America: Civil War" will be filmed. Shooting on the next film is slated to begin February 2016.

Gunn confirmed that he's turned in a treatment for the film, had a meeting about the movie this week, and will start working on the full screenplay next week. That said, there probably won't be that much to do. Gunn's treatment, or "pre-draft version" of the script is "very, very far along" and currently says that it clocks in at seventy pages.

According to him, the entire film has already been plotted out, now it's just a case of translating it into screenplay format and writing the dialogue. Gunn has also confirmed that not only will Karen Gillan’s Nebula return, he says he may have found a way for her to appear without the former "Doctor Who" actress having to shave her head again.

"Guardians of the Galaxy 2" is currently slated for a May 5th 2017 release.
Old 04-05-15, 08:59 AM
Banned

Well she has had long hair too. Or they do the bald cap thing.
Old 04-05-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

She shaved her hair. She talked about it at her panel last month during Planet Comicon out here.
Old 04-05-15, 10:05 AM
Banned

We all know that. I'm just saying that Nebula hasn't always been bald. So they do Nebula with hair or a bald cap thing.

I thought it was cool for her to go all in for that. Sadly the character, much like most MCU villains, is pretty weak. She did look cool though.
Old 04-05-15, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Oh, thought you were talking about the movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.