Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

Hulu -- News and Notable New additions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-15, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: Hulu Plus -- News and Notable New additions

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Yeah, that's the last time I heard anyone mention an ad-free Hulu. And that CEO left Hulu a few months later. So, it's probably not happening anytime soon.

I don't get it. Ads are obviously the #1 complaint about Hulu. I don't know why they're so stubborn about offering customers what they want.
That's unfortunate I imagine if there subscription rate slows or drops they'll start adding ad free option to lure people like us in.
Old 04-29-15, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally, there's no way I would even consider paying double the current price to have an ad-free experience. I couldn't justify the extra $100 a year (which would pay for my Netflix sub) merely to avoid thirty seconds of commercials here and there.

I understand where people are coming from, but for me, the slight annoyance isn't that big a deal.
Old 04-29-15, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

At least they aren't 20 minute ad breaks like TBS has during movies.
Old 04-30-15, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is from October '14:

Think there are too many ads on Hulu Plus? You’re not alone: Hulu CEO Mike Hopkins is considering reducing the ad load on Hulu’s paid subscription tier, according to a New York Post report. Hulu has been showing users more than 80 ads per month, compared to 32 on YouTube, according to the Post. Of course, paying Netflix subscribers don’t have to endure any ads — but it’s unlikely Hulu would go that far any time soon: The service just launched in-app subscriptions for its iPhone app, making it even more dependent on advertising for paying users.
Old 04-30-15, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seinfeld debuts sometime in June on Hulu.
Old 04-30-15, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 146 Likes on 93 Posts

Most of the stuff I've been watching lately (Brooklyn Nine-Nine from the beginning, and a few anime series from last year) has only had one ad per break. I don't watch anything "current", though.
Old 05-07-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, all the Cartoon Network stuff is officially up for Hulu Plus subscribers. This includes all 11 episodes of Rick and Morty (note: the aired versions, not the uncut bd/dvd versions), 156 episodes of Adventure Time, 158 episodes of Regular Show, 76 of Gumball, 52 episodes of Samurai Jack, 78 of Dexter's Lab and Fosters, 141 episodes of Robot Chicken, 65 episodes of The Venture Bros, pretty much all of all their original content.
Old 05-07-15, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Well, all the Cartoon Network stuff is officially up for Hulu Plus subscribers. This includes all 11 episodes of Rick and Morty (note: the aired versions, not the uncut bd/dvd versions), 156 episodes of Adventure Time, 158 episodes of Regular Show, 76 of Gumball, 52 episodes of Samurai Jack, 78 of Dexter's Lab and Fosters, 141 episodes of Robot Chicken, 65 episodes of The Venture Bros, pretty much all of all their original content.
Plus a ton of great Adult Swim stuff:

Tim and Eric
The Eric Andre Show
Sealab 2021
etc
Old 05-07-15, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Does anyone know if that's it? Or is more coming? They are still missing a lot of shows, like Teen Titans (Go), Powerpuff Girls, Uncle Grandpa (I actually like that show), etc ...
Old 05-07-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Does anyone know if that's it? Or is more coming? They are still missing a lot of shows, like Teen Titans (Go), Powerpuff Girls, Uncle Grandpa (I actually like that show), etc ...
Due to cross licensing issues, Uncle Grandpa is still on Netflix only. I'm sure once the rest of the CN/Netflix contract runs out it'll be on Hulu as well.

Netflix: Powerpuff Girls Season 1 - 6, Uncle Grandpa eps 1 - 26

Teen Titans is Warner and they have a vendetta against any streaming service that isn't theirs it seems.
Old 05-07-15, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

stupid hulu are they trying to sabotage me to skip work tomorrow
Old 05-07-15, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is broken record territory, but I would gladly pay $14.99/mo. for Hulu+ with no ads on my Roku.

Fall asleep watching a show and need to fast forward back to your spot?

You're fucked.
Old 05-07-15, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I know this is broken record territory, but I would gladly pay $14.99/mo. for Hulu+ with no ads on my Roku.

Fall asleep watching a show and need to fast forward back to your spot?

You're fucked.
How so? It shows you what's going on in a small window, and the commercials are time based -- passing by a "Commercial" marker does nothing unless you've watched X amount of the show already, at least that's the way its worked in the past.

Love having Rick and Morty on here.

"I wish that shotgun was my penis."
"If it were, you could call me Ernest Hemingway."
Old 05-08-15, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Right, but that small window moves by very quickly; it isn't nearly as user friendly as, say, Netflix, where it's easier to stop at the exact moment where you left off. Any time I FF on Hulu it constantly keeps showing me ads.

Still, I just don't get why they can't offer a higher-priced service without ads.
Old 05-08-15, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's a cost thing, you basically need to have everybody on the same plan. I'm utterly clueless how much they get per ad.
Old 05-08-15, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts

I remember reading in past interviews them saying there is no way for them to get current shows and not have ads. Even if they quadrupled the price.
Old 05-08-15, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I remember reading in past interviews them saying there is no way for them to get current shows and not have ads. Even if they quadrupled the price.
That's what I heard too. The cost to acquire the show and post it the day after it airs is astronomical and would be not be affordable without ads. This applies to shows on other networks posted for free on their network sites with ads. Current content is extremely expensive.

Netflix acquires shows on at least a 1 season delay when the shows already hit home video and I assume the cost of the show drops a lot and is more affordable.
Old 05-08-15, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hulu is basically instantly syndicating the stuff they put on.
Old 05-10-15, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Murder in the First, which aired last summer on TNT, 1st season was posted on Hulu Plus.

It's a serialized 1 case mystery for anyone who hasn't seen it.

The 2nd season will air this summer on TNT.
Old 05-15-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We never realized until last night just how much content is on Hulu Plus until we went searching through all the different channels they have. Full seasons of old & new shows that we haven't seen in years.
Old 05-17-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Tyrant season 1 is now on Hulu. It aired last summer on FX. Season 2 airs June 16th.

Also ICYMI, the Mindy Project was renewed for seasons 4 and 5. Both will be on Hulu exclusively in addition to past seasons.
Old 05-20-15, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Seinfeld Hulu Launch Date Announced
By Trevor Courneen
May 20, 2015 | 12:58pm

Last month, Hulu made history when it was announced that the company paid $180 million to begin streaming all 180 episodes of Seinfeld. Today, the company announced the streaming launch date of the beloved series, and fans will be pleased to know they won’t have to wait too much longer.

On Wednesday, June 24, every million-dollar episode of Seinfeld will be available for instant streaming on Hulu. This marks not only the show’s streaming service debut in its entirety, but also the launch of one of the largest acquisitions in Hulu’s company history.

With Jerry Seinfeld’s Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee getting renewed for several more seasons on Crackle last year and Jason Alexander set to star in a new series on Adult Swim, it’s still pretty good to be Seinfeld alumni these days.
http://www.pastemagazine.com/article...announced.html
Old 05-21-15, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I like that Jason Alexander getting a series on Adult Swim is seen as a positive, but Julia Louise Dreyfus's Emmy-winning HBO series and Michael Richards' part-time night watchman gig don't even merit a mention.
Old 05-21-15, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I thought that was a pretty glaring omission, too. Veep, that is, not Michael Richards' new wage slave position.
Old 06-09-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All thirteen episodes of season two of "The Bridge" that aired last summer on FX is finally up.
You can also watch all thirteen episodes of season one too.

Looks like "The Fosters" - show on ABC Family - is going to have its episodes available on next day viewing as last nights season three premiere is up.
(Although that could be just for the premiere and then have it be a 8 day or longer delay for future episodes - like they have done in the past for ABC Family shows.)
Too bad the other two seasons are not up so people can start from the beginning - I missed last season since Hulu stop showing it.

Last edited by LaxBandit; 06-09-15 at 08:57 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.