Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Looks like Radio Shack is in trouble

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Looks like Radio Shack is in trouble

Old 07-30-14, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts
Re: Looks like Radio Shack is in trouble

Radioshack is almost out of money, and its stock has dropped 12%
http://arstechnica.com/business/2014...-out-of-money/
RadioShack, despite its best efforts, lost over $539 million in 2012 and 2013 combined, more than wiping out profits from the previous three years. The company said in its annual report that it experienced growth in sales of "prepaid wireless, portable speakers, music accessories, and AC adaptors."
Old 07-31-14, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's worth metioning that the only reason I was in a Radio Shack even once within the past few years was to buy some AC adapters. They carry a pretty cool system that combines mutlipe plug voltage types with a large variety of connector types. Which is exactly what I needed.

But I didn't spend a second looking at the rest of the overpriced stock throughout the rest of the store. And it seemed like I was their first customer of the day at 4:00pm.
Old 08-01-14, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Last time I stopped in A Radio Shack was when I needed an extension cable for my earbuds which was a few years ago and only because I needed them sooner then the internet. There are only so many local places that have cables etc... and also hardly any that don't cost a fortune.

Can't imagine them being open much longer, even less so by trying to turn into a smaller copy of a larger store. Why would I go there unless they are the only place I can buy said item locally?
Old 08-01-14, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 175 Posts

It's funny how Radio Shack was the only place to get some things, but those things were so rarely needed that no one ever went in there.
Old 08-02-14, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
It's funny how Radio Shack was the only place to get some things, but those things were so rarely needed that no one ever went in there.
It has to be needed and right now vs getting it for a bit cheaper online and that situation does not happen all too often.
Old 08-04-14, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I was in there was about 4 years ago, after I got rid of cable. Had found a nice outdoor antenna, coax cables, connectors, and mast poles at the local Lowe's, but they didn't have preamplifiers/amplifiers. Only place locally with those was Radio Shack. Haven't had to go back to Radio Shack for anything since then, but I still find Lowe's useful at times.
Old 08-11-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 699 Likes on 570 Posts

I remember I bought a remote controlled lamborghini car back in the 80's from Radio Shack.
Old 11-28-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

This is hilarious: http://www.sbnation.com/2014/11/26/7...tor=MediaREDEF
Old 12-03-14, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing hilarious there...

RSH at .62 now. Will they make it to the end of the month?
Old 12-05-14, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Noticed the local location in my town went out of business this week with no fanfare or going out of business sale. Open one day, shuttered and empty the next.
Old 12-05-14, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 378 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
tl;dr, but the CueCat barcodes on the images were nostalgic. I picked up a CueCat to use to scan the codes on my DVDs while loading DVD Profiler up with my collection. Once done, I threw the CC away. Kinda wish I still had it so I could throw it away again.
Old 12-05-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 195 Likes on 167 Posts

Back in the day, I use to buy electronic components from Radio Shack. (ie. Resistors, diodes, capacitors, etc ...). This was when I use to design and build my own analog electronic stuff.

I don't bother building electronic devices anymore. Easier and less expensive to just buy something off-the-shelf and/or run it on a computer.
Old 12-07-14, 08:27 AM
Defunct Account

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
tl;dr, but the CueCat barcodes on the images were nostalgic. I picked up a CueCat to use to scan the codes on my DVDs while loading DVD Profiler up with my collection. Once done, I threw the CC away. Kinda wish I still had it so I could throw it away again.
I did the same thing. I picked up a couple and they actually didn't work that well. There was an art to getting the code to read. I don't think I ever used it for it's intended purpose.

It's sad that RS is going the way of the dodo. I used to love to look over their computer ads in the Sunday paper back in the late 70s/early 80s, dreaming that one day I would own one. If company was positioned to take advantage of the changes in our society over the last 30 years, it was RS. Too bad they thought that people would want remote controlled cars and mediocre (at best) stereo equipment rather than cell phones, on-line shopping, and DVDs.
Old 01-06-15, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 325 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by John Sinnott
It's sad that RS is going the way of the dodo. I used to love to look over their computer ads in the Sunday paper back in the late 70s/early 80s, dreaming that one day I would own one. If company was positioned to take advantage of the changes in our society over the last 30 years, it was RS. Too bad they thought that people would want remote controlled cars and mediocre (at best) stereo equipment rather than cell phones, on-line shopping, and DVDs.
I used to love getting the new yearly catalog each fall and checking out the new stuff. If you want to reminisce, check out http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/
Old 01-07-15, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1 of the 3 in my immediate area closed. The other 2 are still open, but I saw a clearance sign in the window of 1 the other day.
Old 01-09-15, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
1 of the 3 in my immediate area closed. The other 2 are still open, but I saw a clearance sign in the window of 1 the other day.
I saw a clearance sign in a local store yesterday, too. Everything was 25% off and the clerk mentioned that this store was becoming some kind of clearance "hub". No contract phones, no tablets, not many digital cameras. Visited some other stores today and they were 50% off and they're giving out $10 off $40 coupons with any purchase.
Old 01-10-15, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Interesting. They gave me a $10 off $50 coupon in December. Obviously they are getting more aggressive.
Old 01-10-15, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ooh... RSH is at 38 cents.

As far as I know my local Radio Shacks are still open. I tend to stop by them about once a month or so, they are a good place to buy cheap headphones (often on sale) and flash drives (same thing, often on sale).

To give that 38 cents a little perspective, five years ago RSH was trading in the mid $20s, this time four years ago it was at $18.
Old 01-15-15, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 646 Likes on 446 Posts

RadioShack could file for bankruptcy protection as soon as next month
http://arstechnica.com/business/2015...as-next-month/
It's a move many have predicted for some time: RadioShack is probably going to file for bankruptcy protection.
According to a Wall Street Journal report citing unnamed sources, the cash-poor retailer could submit its filing as soon as February 2015. A RadioShack spokesperson e-mailed Ars to say, "We decline to comment except to say that RadioShack has not confirmed any of the information that is being reported." The Texas-based firm did not deny the Journal’s report, however.

Bankruptcy protection wouldn't necessarily mean that RadioShack intends to go out of business. Rather, it would mean RadioShack would be given a certain period of time to rebuild itself and shield itself from creditors. In a similar situation from September 2013, a smaller Kodak emerged from bankruptcy.

In December 2014, after RadioShack posted its most recent third fiscal quarter earnings statement, the company revealed a quarterly net loss of over $161 million—and a nearly $400 million net loss on the fiscal year to date. By comparison, RadioShack lost over $216 million in the first nine months of 2013.

To put it plainly, things did not look good in that filing:
We have experienced losses for the past two years that continued to accelerate into the third quarter of fiscal 2015, primarily attributed to a prolonged downturn in our business. Our ability to generate cash from operations depends in large part on the level of demand for our products and services. We continue to face an uncertain business environment and a number of fundamental challenges in our mobility business due to lack of availability of new devices launched during the period, aggressive price competition and intense wireless carrier marketing activities. Our retail business also faces the challenge of revamping our product assortment to anticipate and meet our customers’ needs and wants to produce profitable operating margins. We believe these challenging market conditions will continue into fiscal year 2016.
RadioShack added that it has closed 175 "underperforming stores since the beginning of the current fiscal year," with more likely on the way. "There can be no assurance that our efforts to further restructure our debt or operations will be successful," the filing continued. "Even if successful, our restructuring efforts could have materially adverse effects on our business and on the market price of our securities."

RadioShack’s stock price has fallen by over 85 percent over the last year, and it opened Thursday down 23 percent since the markets closed on Wednesday.

Back in 2007, the satirical newspaper The Onion offered this prescient headline: "Even CEO Can't Figure Out How RadioShack Still In Business." In late 2013, Ars named RadioShack as one of five companies under “deathwatch” for 2014.
Old 01-15-15, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know how Sears/Kmart is still in business, either.

RSH at .26 now. I guess they will close up most of their stores and maybe try to expand online sales.

I saw that Kodak would intro a smartphone that probably will be a bust.
Old 01-15-15, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Today I stopped by the store that had the clearance sign. They said that the 3rd store in my area was staying open, but that they (and the next closest store) were clearing everything out, with the plan being that it would take a couple of months and that they'd get no new stock in the meantime.
Old 01-15-15, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Today I stopped by the store that had the clearance sign. They said that the 3rd store in my area was staying open, but that they (and the next closest store) were clearing everything out, with the plan being that it would take a couple of months and that they'd get no new stock in the meantime.
The stores that are running the clearance have reduced hours as I believe they've let some employees go. If you check the store locator for your local area and the store is closing at 6PM on a weekday instead of 8 or 9, then they may be a clearance store. I'm not sure how this affects mall stores, as they usually go by the mall hours.
Old 01-16-15, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Every location I've driven by in this area has the clearance signs on the windows but no mention of "going out of business."
Old 01-31-15, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

I'm telling you, the clearance is on their stock!
Old 02-02-15, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

The end is near: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...of-sprint-deal

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.