Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Old 03-28-15, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 117 Likes on 105 Posts
Re: Bloodborne - PS4 (Sony Japan + From + Miyazaki)

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
So the beginning weapons are worth upgrading right? not like in Final Fantasy where an enemy will drop a much better weapon 10 minutes later?

I just did the second upgrade on my threaded cane and just want to make sure I am not wasting shards. The upgrade should help me with the third form of the second boss which has been kicking my butt.
I'm really new at all this so take it as a grain of salt...but I've read some articles where some have stayed with their starting weapon for a long time leveling it up. But then again it's depending on your style of play, your character build and so-on. I want to try out the other weapons but at the same time make sure I have a strong enough weapon going in to other parts and with other enemies and Bosses. I started with the Saw blade and love it...excellent up close and flick it for long range while using the Shotgun or Torch. Be aware with some of the Pole Weapons you cannot use a Shotgun to parry with though they have excellent range and damage.

One question I have is with the Blood Channeling Echoes...is there a limit and just how does the points work when you cash in the Blood Echoes? I haven't seen exactly how this works and I just unlocked it not long ago. I have seen something that when you level up, the enemies also get a bit stronger and react differently (?)

Also I wonder where to put your points first....vitality, strength, stamina or even arcane?....guess it depends on you choice of character build.
Old 03-28-15, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

Originally Posted by adrenaline78
I suck at this game. I'm not even past the first boss.
First boss is tough, I recommend exploring away from him a bit and level up.

Second boss was super easy by comparison.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-28-15 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-28-15, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

I finally kicked the first boss up and down the block. I actually feel like I am getting somewhere in this game. Don't give up as I almost did. Here is my boss fight video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TQBImUYA3gA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-28-15, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I finally kicked the first boss up and down the block. I actually feel like I am getting somewhere in this game. Don't give up as I almost did. Here is my boss fight video.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TQBImUYA3gA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Really satisfying once it's done though, isn't it?
Old 03-28-15, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Yes, it is! I was this close to giving up on this game and then I decided to push on. I used that werewolves farming spot as well as kicking Townies asses to level up to 30 and then I went full bore on that Beast's ass and destroyed him without even having to use a blood vial.
Old 03-28-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I beat CB last night too. Almost gave up, almost. I locked on to him and kept side-strafing around his attacks to keep behind him. Felt really good to bring him down. Also, got the Saw Badge in the Sewers. And, ran into FG accidentally. Wasn't prepared for that battle.
Old 03-28-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^Yes, it is! I was this close to giving up on this game and then I decided to push on. I used that werewolves farming spot as well as kicking Townies asses to level up to 30 and then I went full bore on that Beast's ass and destroyed him without even having to use a blood vial.
30? Haha damn.
Old 03-28-15, 03:05 PM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have stuck with my starting weapon, the cane, and I have no problem destroying with it. My short version does really good damage and you can't beat that crazy range with speed of the long version. At this point I think it is about 110 damage with a bonus of 59 from my skill...and I also have health regeneration on my weapon which while it does not help much during a fight because it is slow, it helps between fights to save blood vials.
Old 03-28-15, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So someone is streaming this on NG+ x7... That's just silly. Didn't it just come out Tuesday?!? He's on his 7th playthrough after only 5 days? And I thought I spent way too much time playing video games. Just wow.
Old 03-28-15, 03:29 PM

I have been using the saw spear since getting it in the sewers early on (you cut it down from the ceiling, it's on a body). It's got the advantage of quick speed, great transformation combo ability, and, if you just simply transform it, it's got good distance (especially for the R2 backstab to stun for visceral attacks). I have it at +4 right now (just 1 twin bloodstone shard away from +5), and the 2 blood gems I have on it provide increase to damage, thrust, and give some healing bonuses. It's a great weapon. Although I have seen the "pile bunker" (Stake Driver) in action via one of my buddies that I co-op with, and that thing wrecks. I own it, but I am not interested in spending souls on strength to use it. I have always preferred a DEX build character, using rapiers, or katanas. Hopefully I will encounter one in this game.

Originally Posted by K&AJones
One question I have is with the Blood Channeling Echoes...is there a limit and just how does the points work when you cash in the Blood Echoes? I haven't seen exactly how this works and I just unlocked it not long ago. I have seen something that when you level up, the enemies also get a bit stronger and react differently (?)
There's usually a level limit, Buzz. You can max at every stat in the other Souls games at 99, if you wish. But, there is usually a "soft cap" on the bonuses. In other words, you don't really get a bonus after a certain point. For example, the "skill" attribute (which I think of as DEX or AGI, since it reminds me of the builds of the past games) might give you bonuses to skill based weapons until say, 30. You can keep spending souls on the skill past 30, but it might stop giving you bonuses. You can always see what the price of leveling will be on the screen, as well as what, if any, bonuses the level up will provide.

Also I wonder where to put your points first....vitality, strength, stamina or even arcane?....guess it depends on you choice of character build.
It's up to you, as you mentioned. For a character just starting out, I almost always focus on stamina. It's one of the most important things, in my opinion. I use dexterity/speed characters, so I go that next (I see "skill" as the equivalent), then, of course, vitality. I don't use heavy weapons, so I skip strength, but others might say different. You need bloodtinge to increase your guns, so I have added a few points there (the repeating pistol requires 8 or 10, I can't remember which right now).
Old 03-28-15, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by 19K
So someone is streaming this on NG+ x7... That's just silly. Didn't it just come out Tuesday?!? He's on his 7th playthrough after only 5 days? And I thought I spent way too much time playing video games. Just wow.
That is pretty damn ridiculous. I feel like I've put in quite a bit of time, but I only have 3 bosses downed, and probably 2 or 3 "mini" bosses. Although I always spend a great deal of time exploring, trying to open up all shortcut doors, and find the crystal lizards (I don't know what to call them in this game---the creatures who drop the upgrade materials, but will dematerialize if you don't get them fast enough).
Old 03-28-15, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched him for a bit and he basically just ran through the entire level avoiding every single enemy. He just ran straight to what I'm assuming was the "boss" and finished it off fairly effortlessly. I'm not sure how his character is strong enough to beat bosses so easily if he's just running by everything like he was doing, but it seemed to be working for him.
Old 03-28-15, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's funny because reading all of your posts makes me realize I still have a lot to learn/experience! I've never seen the "crystal lizards", I still haven't spent any shards on my weapons (still trying to figure out if I want to go dex or str), and I just got to the second boss.
Old 03-28-15, 04:20 PM

I have just sunk a lot of hours into the series, man. I was in the same boat once before. I hope that some of the information does help those who may be experiencing the series for the first time.

I would recommend DEX every time, but the STR players always seem to do what I cannot, perform well with slow, bulky weapons. At least they don't have encumbrance in this game, as opposed to the past (you'd move slower if you carried too much equipment), but I still stick with the faster weapons.
Old 03-28-15, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gooter
It's funny because reading all of your posts makes me realize I still have a lot to learn/experience! I've never seen the "crystal lizards", I still haven't spent any shards on my weapons (still trying to figure out if I want to go dex or str), and I just got to the second boss.
Yeah, I'm a little past you and realized an experienced player could make it to the second boss and have him taken out within 45 minutes on a new game. Pretty sure he just signifies the end of the tutorial area
Old 03-28-15, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the Cleric Beast was a real turning point for me in the game. I've gotten a bit past the second boss now, and I'm having a great time now, and it just doesn't seem anywhere near as punishing.
Old 03-28-15, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I do hope people that get frustrated early on watch a play through of the first area to get an idea of what to do. It's a shame to read people are shutting it off after seeing maybe 2% of the game world. It is a bit heavy as an intro.
Old 03-28-15, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Gooter
I beat CB last night too. Almost gave up, almost. I locked on to him and kept side-strafing around his attacks to keep behind him. Felt really good to bring him down. Also, got the Saw Badge in the Sewers. And, ran into FG accidentally. Wasn't prepared for that battle.
He's pretty difficult without a certain item. Spoilerized just in case

Spoiler:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4zbLCGHK-0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-28-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by K&AJones

Also keep in mind that after each level the amount of required BE increases each time. So If you get to a point where you ignore a certain stat and need to level it up you might have to get thousands upon thousands for one level to another.

Which is one of the biggest gripes I've had with the series. I think they should make each stat have different exp points requirement. So for example if I want to level STR over and over XP requirement would increase for only that stat and no others.
Old 03-28-15, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah I am loving this game. I've got two bosses down and have opened up two new lanterns for the cathedral and old yarham.

I am actually harvesting blood echoes now around the cathedral because

Spoiler:
apparently I have to buy the gate key for 10k. The harvesting isn't too bad though because the large guys with the lanterns are super easy to stun with the gun and do the finishing move on. There are 5 of them around the lantern at 250 or so each.

The cleric beast was a turning point for me too. It took me lots of dying and leveling and dying and repeating to just get to him. After several battles and finally winning, I seem to be doing much better.

Dark Souls was awesome but I think I am actually having more fun with this one.

On a side note, after defeating boss two:

Spoiler:
I gave the little girl her mother's red broach back and got nothing for it...she won't even talk to me now, just cries. Damn you little girl!
Old 03-28-15, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mhg83
He's pretty difficult without a certain item. Spoilerized just in case

Spoiler:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4zbLCGHK-0c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Meh, after dying to him three times with the
Spoiler:
Tiny Music Box
, I decided to just ignore using that, and use the tombstones to my advantage to keep him in between me. For his beast form I just used the Ax and a 2 hander and kept doing the charge attack, it was pretty easy. I think I used two health potions maybe.
Old 03-28-15, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Father kicked my butt.
Old 03-28-15, 11:30 PM

Father kicked my butt.
Not that last time, he didn't!
Old 03-28-15, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Emperor Charon
Not that last time, he didn't!
Yep, thanks for the help!
Old 03-29-15, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Killed Father G tonight Solo. I staggered him a few times and when he transformed I spammed him with Molotovs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.