Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Mass Effect: Andromeda - 3/21/17

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda - 3/21/17

Glad to hear that they are starting to patch it. Honestly I don't mind waiting a few more months to start playing, I have plenty to keep me occupied until then.
Old 04-04-17, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

That's gonna be a pretty big update.
Old 04-04-17, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Improving the appearance of eyes for humans and asari characters

Improving localized voice over lip sync

My main stumbling block.

Good thing I only played a couple hours in, since now I'll want to re-start, especially because...

Over the next two months we’ll be rolling out additional patches which will go even deeper and look to improve several areas of the game:

More options and variety in the character creator

Improvements to hair and general appearance for characters
Guess I'll wait a couple months to restart, which should be fine - my plate is so fucking full right now with Zelda, Nioh, Nier, Horizon and a few others; Mass Effect can wait a few months until it's improved.
Old 04-04-17, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll buy it when it drop to $30
Old 04-05-17, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts

But they are not fixing the glitches/bugs yet?

Spoiler:
such as the architect getting stuck in the sky on Eos
Old 04-05-17, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't played in a week (waiting for the patch announcement), but I decided whenever I do get back to it to just leave it on Insanity and play the areas that aren't kett bases until I'm a higher level (I'm level 13 now). Hoping for a checkpoint patch by that time, or an easier time once I'm above level 20.
Old 04-05-17, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101

My main stumbling block.

Good thing I only played a couple hours in, since now I'll want to re-start, especially because...

Guess I'll wait a couple months to restart, which should be fine - my plate is so fucking full right now with Zelda, Nioh, Nier, Horizon and a few others; Mass Effect can wait a few months until it's improved.
Might as well just trade it in and wait it out, then. And then never get around to it until it's dirt cheap on PSN. That's what I'm assuming Horizon and this are going to be for me, since Persona just came in the mail.
Old 04-05-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Put an outpost on Veold today. Now it's time to tackle that Elaaden planet.
Old 04-06-17, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Eyes look much better

Old 04-06-17, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,187 Likes on 4,214 Posts

Yeah, that is a LOT better.
Old 04-06-17, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Patch is live. You can skip planet to planet scenes. Too bad I had already done most of the galaxy.
Old 04-07-17, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think I'm almost done with the game. Should be done tomorrow.
Old 04-07-17, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sat down and played for several hours last night and this morning, and I'm getting back into the swing of things. Feeling more capable. Gaining a few levels has really helped with combat on Insanity, now that I can strip shields off of enemies pretty quickly with both biotics and tech. Tried the Architect fight on Voeld at level 16 last night for laughs. Damaged a leg and then blundered into a blast and died pretty quickly... These are essentially the techno equivalent of the dragon fights from Dragon Age: Inquisition on Nightmare difficulty, and the strategy is the same: just have to wait until level 25-30 before attempting them.

It started rough, but I'm enjoying it more the more I play.
Old 04-07-17, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just finished it. It's annoying that if you want to finish some of the "additional tasks" you almost have to blindly explore, because the orange marker doesn't show up to guide you.

Other than that, I did not get the threesome that was alluded to, but I did end up having Peebee and Suvi, so there's that. I also finished Keri's task, but that didn't lead to any "you made it back safe" sex, though.

I guess that's it until they release the DLC material, I reckon. I liked the game a lot. Now to head on over to Youtube and watch all the romance cut scenes.
Old 04-10-17, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The deluxe edition is on sale for the same price as the regular edition this week at Best Buy and it looks like it still comes with the steelbook when you add it to the cart. I guess I should have waited.
Old 04-19-17, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I finished it last night, exactly four weeks since it came out. Yes, there's a lot of filler, but I enjoyed the game quite a bit. The voice acting from the leads, especially my male Ryder, was on point. Having a sardonic and sarcastic personality myself, I loved that my Ryder was the same way. Carefully deployed use of the word fuck was really effectively done too.

Looking forward to future updates and DLCs. From the ending, it seems obvious that the upcoming DLCs will be:

Spoiler:
Finding the lost Quarian/Elcor/Hanar ark, the mystery of Jien Garson,
and some sort of adventure quest with Reyes, similar to the one with Aria in Mass Effect 3.
Old 05-10-17, 06:51 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

This doesn't sound good.

Mass Effect Series on Hold
Old 05-10-17, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

My guess is it is just to assess what worked and what didn't, so it is a better game. Namely, they need some better writing talent.
Old 05-11-17, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So many story missteps in this sequel, even from the first moments. When the discussion of a sequel in Andromeda first came up, I imagined the opening scenes would be something more like this:

A not-quite-completed ark ship (created by the Illusive Man in response to the incident at the Citadel and Shepherd's warning) in dock desperately trying to power up its trans-warp engines or whatever while reapers were coming for it, while Mass Effect 3 music plays and people die; the ship ultimately getting away at the last minute. A rag-tag group that didn't get the supplies it needed in a ship not fully stocked or ready for intergalactic travel emerging unprepared into a hostile galaxy and having to win multiple allies and defend itself long enough to establish a foothold, always on the brink of failure.

Instead, we got a well-funded, orderly migration that ran into a few speed bumps in the face of one hostile force, with one potential ally. Very little drama or uncertainty. Even the uprising, which had promise, could have been more interesting: what if the coup plotters took over the station and expelled the others, and you had to choose whether to work with them, despite their harsh methods, or the government-in-exile, despite their lack of resources and funding?
Old 06-07-17, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't had a chance to play this even though I bought it at launch, but Kotaku just posted an article on the troubled development of the game.

http://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-m...ive-1795886428

Jason Schreier is usually great at these features, looking forward to reading it all.

From conversations with nearly a dozen people who worked on Mass Effect: Andromeda, all of whom spoke under condition of anonymity because they weren’t authorized to talk about the game, a consistent picture has emerged. The development of Andromeda was turbulent and troubled, marred by a director change, multiple major re-scopes, an understaffed animation team, technological challenges, communication issues, politics, a compressed timeline, and brutal crunch.

Last edited by fumanstan; 06-07-17 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-09-17, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

New 1.8 update added what most were waiting for:

Improved Character Creator

We’ve expanded the options available in the character creator, giving you greater control over your Ryder’s appearance. Two new heads were added, one male and one female, as well as a new complexion option and a greater range of available skin tones. We also unlocked all hairstyles for both sexes, and added a new bald option.

For players wanting to adjust their look mid-game, we added the ability to change your character’s appearance onboard the Tempest.

And for fans of Alec Ryder’s iconic appearance, you can now choose to keep the default Alec, rather than having his appearance be based on your custom Ryder.

Expanded Male Romance Options for Scott Ryder

Scott Ryder can now pursue Jaal as a romance option. There are several important reasons for this change:

Scott Ryder did not have a same-sex squadmate available as a romance option, nor could the achievement for completing three romances be achieved with only male same-sex partners. And as the angara have expressed their fluidity in how they perceive gender, it seemed only natural that Scott could have a relationship with Jaal.

However, we understand that a character’s orientation is an important part of what makes them feel real. The relationships with your crew are some of the most loved and cherished parts of our games, so we wanted to make sure we got it right. We consulted with members of the LGBTQ community, both externally and within our own studios. After carefully considering all feedback, we decided this was an important change to make, and one that made sense for Jaal, Scott, and the angara.

Our writing, editing, and animation teams worked together to ensure this change made sense for Jaal’s character, and the result is a relationship we hope feels as fulfilling and memorable for Scott as it does for Sara.

You can find a full list of changes and improvements in the patch notes below.

Single player
  • Ryder’s appearance can now be changed onboard the Tempest
  • Expanded the range of options available in the character creator
  • Jaal can now be romanced by Scott Ryder
  • Dialogue for Hainly Abrams was adjusted to change the flow of personal information she discusses with Ryder.
  • Fixed issue with Nomad upgrades Shield Crafting quest
  • Nexus level and cryo pod points are retroactively granted
  • Vendors now carry weapon mods for Level 60-71 players
  • Vendors now sell weapon augmentations for automatic fire, burst fire, and single-shot fire
  • Improved clarity of descriptions for augmentations
  • Plasma Charge system now works properly for shotguns
  • Beam Emitter augmentation now causes guns to fire a constant beam with scaling damage based on the weapon’s damage per second
  • [PC] Added experimental support for Dolby Vision™ technology

Multiplayer
  • Stealth Grid challenge now increments properly
  • Fiend no longer sprints when within 10 meters of target, and will decelerate to base speed
  • Enabled movement correction during Fiend attacks to reduce incidence of players seeing Fiends attacking in the wrong direction
  • Improved movement prediction for some enemies in tight spaces to reduce appearance of teleportation
  • Fixed issue that prevented melee attacks if the revive icon was near center screen
  • Fixed issue where ammo pick-up audio incorrectly played
  • Fixed issue where Backlash could malfunction while moving
  • Using Stealth and Recon Visor together no longer increases duration of invisibility for Turian Agent
  • Fixed issue where weight reduction modifications wouldn’t reduce weight
  • The Revive Pack Transmitter now displays the revive radius in the loadout screen
  • Equipping the Cobra RPG now interrupts reloading
  • Player turns to Adhi when getting synced to avoid teleportation issue
  • Fixed issue where enemies would occasionally enter T-pose when hit
  • Improved visual and audio cues for player ready status in Multiplayer lobbies
  • Added “Lights” option to customization options
Old 06-12-17, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I haven't had a chance to play this even though I bought it at launch, but Kotaku just posted an article on the troubled development of the game.

http://kotaku.com/the-story-behind-m...ive-1795886428

Jason Schreier is usually great at these features, looking forward to reading it all.
That was a great read. This game just had me so baffled as to why it was so bad. I still couldn't understand how the animation could end up even worse than a Mass Effect game released 10 years ago on much inferior hardware.

But it does look like regression was a big problem. They had to scale back the graphics in order to get the darn thing just to work. Hopefully, ME and No Man's Sky will end this developer's dream of having a universe of endless planets to explore. It sounds great on paper, but completely lacks fun in reality when you are using software to auto-generate the planets. Each planet needs to have an unique identity and interesting missions in order to bring in the fun factor and that's just not possible on a massive scale.
Old 06-12-17, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 404 Posts

Like most things in our internet age if a game isn't amazing it's the worse thing ever. Andromeda was a weaker Mass Effect and had some issues but I still found it to be a great game and will almost definitely be in my end of year favorites list.
Old 06-25-17, 01:43 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

Finally finished it.

Overall I enjoyed it, though it was extremely buggy in parts.

I was wondering what happened to the
Spoiler:
Quarian
but I they answered it at the end.

I played with Drack and Vetra as squad mates most of the time.

Got the Matchmaker Achievement from PeeBee, Cora, and the Angaran historian on Aya.
Old 06-25-17, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I've put a good 10 hours into this so far over the last couple of days and I'm really enjoying it. Yes, the jank is there, but it's nowhere near the travesty people are making it out to be. I think the fact that it's so far removed from the first trilogy - in both time and space - actually make it a better game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.