Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-16, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: The Witcher 3 - May 19, 2015 - PS4, XBO, PC

Originally Posted by DRG
If you plan on beating any of the Gwent-related missions I would suggest playing for cards every chance you get... meaning every new merchant, innkeepers, etc. who gives you the option to play, play them until you win and get their free card to add to your deck. There are also a few 'missable' cards, so be careful of that.
I wasn't planning on getting into it. I spent many hours farming Triple Triad cards in FF14. Going to skip the card game in W3.
Old 07-13-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

I've heard Gwent is good, but outside of the 2 or 3 mandatory games, I never tried it out. They did make it completely optional.

I would say hit every notice board and the NPCs who give quests and tackle the side missions, main missions, contracts and treasure hunts that you have in the order of their listed level. Should be simple enough to track.
Old 07-13-16, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Any tips for a new player just starting out? I've cleared out all the questions marks in White Orchard and have moved on to Velen. Still getting used to combat but it's fun so far. I'm level 5.
Sounds like you're doing fine. There's no wrong way to develop a character. And later you'll have access to a way that let you respec your points if you change your mind.

Just have fun with it and try not to spoil yourself with the consequences of game-changing decisions. Overall, I think your Geralt pretty much gets what he deserves based on the choices

If anything, there's almost too much to do. I'm pretty anal about games liking to clear all quests and explore all areas. Playing that way had me quickly over leveled. Don't blow too far past the suggested level of the quests you really want to do or you may make them unsatisfyingly easy (even with a bump up in difficulty level).

I wasn't planning on getting into it. I spent many hours farming Triple Triad cards in FF14. Going to skip the card game in W3.
You don't "farm" cards for Gwent. You just play people, win, and get their "victory" card. I didn't bother with sweating out the hard to find cards. Plenty of cards that are easy to find that will give a powerful deck and succeed in all the Gwent quests. At least try it and see if you like it. There are a few Gwent-related quests that are fun ... but you'll need to build up a solid deck.

Other than that, sounds like like you're
Old 07-14-16, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a link to a page explaining how the Inventory Screen in Blood and Wine works? I get most of it, but the area for consumables has 4 slots and I can only seem to get two to work. Up and Down on dPad to get to the first two slots. If I put items in the other two slots, I cant seem to get to them. Am I missing something?
Old 07-14-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still know very little so it's very possible I'm wrong. I assumed that the items in the other slots would auto fill into the Up/Down buttons when the others were consumed and none left.
Old 07-15-16, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still know very little so it's very possible I'm wrong. I assumed that the items in the other slots would auto fill into the Up/Down buttons when the others were consumed and none left.
That was my thought too, but it didn't seem to be doing that when I last played. I will run some tests this weekend.
Old 07-15-16, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I play on the PS4 and that took me a while to figure out. A press of the up/down on the left controller pad consumed the equipped item. But holding it switched it out for another fast consumable.

Last edited by brainee; 07-16-16 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-18-16, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm so addicted to this game. I feel like it's the exploration RPG I've wanted since Morrowind, which Oblivion and Skyrim never delivered on. Up to level 13 now but still working on lvl10 quests. I think I may give horse racing a try soon.

One question, without spoilers if possible; do all major decisions have consequences for later in the game or just for the resolution? For example, the Baron (pretty much the only major decision I've made); does the outcome effect anything later on or just how his story ends? I used an old save to watch both scenarios. Ended up keeping the one where he's left trying to find a healer.
Old 07-18-16, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm so addicted to this game. I feel like it's the exploration RPG I've wanted since Morrowind, which Oblivion and Skyrim never delivered on. Up to level 13 now but still working on lvl10 quests. I think I may give horse racing a try soon.

One question, without spoilers if possible; do all major decisions have consequences for later in the game or just for the resolution? For example, the Baron (pretty much the only major decision I've made); does the outcome effect anything later on or just how his story ends? I used an old save to watch both scenarios. Ended up keeping the one where he's left trying to find a healer.
Short answer; yes, but to varying degrees - small decisions might have small consequences, but not always. And whle some storylines might have multiple outcomes, some only have one. It's pretty convoluted and tough to track. Best advice is to play and choose not how you would choose, but to get inside Geralt's head, understand him as a character and make decisions that you think he would make. You know, role play.
Old 07-18-16, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I was very tempted to stick with the other outcome for him but I assumed it may have eliminated potential further story later on.
Old 07-18-16, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm at the big branching decision of the Blood and Wine DLC. I think I'm going to go with:
Spoiler:
trying to free the imprisoned sister and set up a meeting with the vampire. The other path sounds a bit hack-and-slash, while this one sounds like it has more potential for intrigue. Plus, from a role-playing viewpoint, the "freeing the sister" path sounds like it has the best possibility for a happy ending from the most characters (though I imagine Anna Henrietta gets pissed at me).

Just curious ... how long will it take me to go back and play the other choice (just to see what it's like)?
Old 07-18-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. I was very tempted to stick with the other outcome for him but I assumed it may have eliminated potential further story later on.
Yeah, don't sweat the choices ... just go with it. The things that are really going to have an impact on your ending are:
Spoiler:
your interactions with Ciri. And if you want some general advice on how to deal with her to get a good ending:
Spoiler:
just don't be a dick to her. Make her feel empowered. Don't be a "controlling dad" ... be a "cool dad"
Old 07-20-16, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slop101
Finished Blood & Wine over the weekend.

Story-wise, I think I liked Hearts of Stone better, but B&W had the far better/bigger world and side quests.

I even went back to the main branching patch of the main story to see how it plays out both ways. They're actually quite different and it's worth doing both. Spoiler on where to save if you want to go back and replay a segment you might otherwise miss:

Spoiler:
when vampires attack the city, AKA "Night of the Long Fangs", you'll be given two options - save your game here, and then you can come back to play the other option.

As far as specifics...
Spoiler:
your two choices/paths are "look for Syanna", or, "ask Orianna where to find the Unseen Elder". Now, honestly, I preferred the first path (mostly because of it's insane and hilarious setting), but that second path feels more "Witcher-like" and more appropriate for the series, and it gets you a killer armor* and swords (way better than any grandmaster class) that you don't get in the first path.

*The armor looks like this, no joke:
Spoiler:

There's a black version you can get earlier in the game, but this red version is way stronger

Although, you can do the first part of the second path, and then you'll still have an opportunity to do the first path, but you'll miss out on the second part of the second path, which is where the cool gear is. But since you're given a key, you might be able to use it to get that gear later - I'm not positive.
I just finished. Only did the one path so far:
Spoiler:
where you get Syanna from fairytale land. Which was great fun! Poor Rapunzel though Don't know if I feel like playing the other path though. I'm a bit "witchered" out. I can always just watch it on youtube.

That final boss battle:
Spoiler:
with Detlaff was a pain in my ass though. Witcher had a few of these encounters that felt like a huge spike in difficulty (at least for my particular build). It was that second Detlaff form that was the killer for me (when he unleashes that unblockable bat attack that knocked off 3/4 of my health). Yeah, I know ... you're supposed to time rolling/running. It's kind of like the Caretaker fight (from HoS) ... seemingly way out of whack with how all the combat could be handled in the game.

Anyway, I eventually wussed and bumped difficulty down to normal for the fight (and won first try then). I'm just not good at Dark Souls-style boss battles. And the reloading after death just takes so long in Witcher 3 (not to mention having to continually redo the battle against Detlaff's 1st form).

Originally Posted by slop101
Anyhow, I got the "good" ending (out of three), and it was totally satisfying. I also really liked the epilogue*, which put a nice ending to the whole series.

Spoiler:
I hope you got Yen at the end of your Witcher 3 game - that's who visits you at your place, and after checking out the other visitors on youtube (Triss, Ciri, Dandelion), Yen was definitely the best, most appropriate one.
Got the same ending as you (including the epilogue)
Spoiler:
How badly did you have to screw up to only have Dandelion visit you? I watched the two bad endings on youtube ... man, are they depressing. Kudos to the game designers to putting so much effort into such really awful (for the characters) endings. Though with shows like Game of Thrones, I suppose there's certainly a place for tragic endings where most characters come to a bad end.

Last edited by brainee; 07-21-16 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-21-16, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brainee
Yeah, don't sweat the choices ... just go with it. The things that are really going to have an impact on your ending are:
Spoiler:
your interactions with Ciri. And if you want some general advice on how to deal with her to get a good ending:
Spoiler:
just don't be a dick to her. Make her feel empowered. Don't be a "controlling dad" ... be a "cool dad"
Thanks. I'm still working on "finding" Ciri in the story. Most of my play time is doing side missions/hunts. I'm level 16 and just finished Broken Flowers which is set for level 11.
Old 07-25-16, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Curious how far I am into the story; could someone give me an idea?

I just met Dandelion and did the side story for Triss. I haven't even started the part to go to Skellige, which is a level 16 quest. Although, i have actually traveled there a few times for side quests. I'm up to level 19. Not counting all of the many hours of side story, how far is this into the main?
Old 07-25-16, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Curious how far I am into the story; could someone give me an idea?

I just met Dandelion and did the side story for Triss. I haven't even started the part to go to Skellige, which is a level 16 quest. Although, i have actually traveled there a few times for side quests. I'm up to level 19. Not counting all of the many hours of side story, how far is this into the main?
One-third, maybe a bit more (not counting the expansions).
Old 08-12-16, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

GOTY edition coming August 30th. $50.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01K6...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Old 09-04-17, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty cool thing for CDPR to do for the fans.

Old 09-04-17, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I recently started this game, maybe 10-12 hrs into it at this point. Pretty impressive so far.
Old 10-17-17, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

So the Game of the Year edition of this is on sale for PS4 for $20 ... I had a question...

How hard core of an RPG is this? If I put it on easy, is it easy enough for an old fart whose gaming skills are rapidly declining? Are the bosses battles really tough?
Old 10-17-17, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
So the Game of the Year edition of this is on sale for PS4 for $20 ... I had a question...

How hard core of an RPG is this? If I put it on easy, is it easy enough for an old fart whose gaming skills are rapidly declining? Are the bosses battles really tough?
I played it on Easy. You can still get killed but I only died a few times. You might be overwhelmed by the size and scope of the game. It's a huge time commitment. I had to stop playing for that reason Going to eventually go back to it. Great game.
Old 10-17-17, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I’m an old enough fart to remember playing Pong in the 70s, and with the exception of a couple of bosses didn’t have much of a problem (mostly played on the hard “Blood and Broken Bones” setting).

The game is very lenient with being able to save and switching difficulties. Id think everyone interested will be able to find a difficulty level that suits them.
Old 10-18-17, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

So the Game of the Year edition of this is on sale for PS4 for $20 ...

Where?
Old 10-18-17, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll be fine, especially with the difficulty dialed down. In terms of stats and gear, it's not that hardcore of an RPG at all. Dialogue and choices are what give The Witcher its role-playing reputation.
Old 10-18-17, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EinCB
Where?
It's on sale this week on both PSN and XBL. Perfect timing too because it just got a PS4 Pro enabled patch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.