Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

King Crimson Reunite for 9 City Tour

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

King Crimson Reunite for 9 City Tour

Old 06-06-14, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: King Crimson Reunite for 9 City Tour

Though I may be accused of "trolling," when I saw them open for Tool at the Wiltern some years back, they hardly played any of the 1970s material (two, maybe three songs), and what they did play was ruined by the most insipid and boring drumming. I was actually somewhat shocked at how poor it was, as was my buddy (who is a drummer...). Of course, even the semi-decent tunes on Discipline were not played either. So, take it for what it is worth, enjoy the show, but if Bruford is not behind the kit, I, at least, view it as a huge waste of time and money . If that is trolling, cool, I will be the New Trolls.

EDIT: Also, regarding what they call themselves (KC, a KC Projekt, whatever), never really mattered. The 80s incarnation was not even supposed to be called KC (I think they were going to go with "Three of a Perfect Pair") and then just ended up adopting the KC moniker...so, I would not take that necessarily as meaning it will be much different than "A Scarcity...", except maybe they'll play a version of "In the Court..."
Old 06-06-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ I was at that show, but I wasn't a big KC fan like I am now and I had no idea what songs they played. I'm on the fence about going to this show simply because I think the prices are outrageous.
Old 06-06-14, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by van der graaf
Though I may be accused of "trolling," when I saw them open for Tool at the Wiltern some years back, they hardly played any of the 1970s material (two, maybe three songs), and what they did play was ruined by the most insipid and boring drumming. I was actually somewhat shocked at how poor it was, as was my buddy (who is a drummer...). Of course, even the semi-decent tunes on Discipline were not played either. So, take it for what it is worth, enjoy the show, but if Bruford is not behind the kit, I, at least, view it as a huge waste of time and money . If that is trolling, cool, I will be the New Trolls.

EDIT: Also, regarding what they call themselves (KC, a KC Projekt, whatever), never really mattered. The 80s incarnation was not even supposed to be called KC (I think they were going to go with "Three of a Perfect Pair") and then just ended up adopting the KC moniker...so, I would not take that necessarily as meaning it will be much different than "A Scarcity...", except maybe they'll play a version of "In the Court..."

Since the 70s KC has only played a handful of songs from that era. Red, LTiA part 2 and a couple of others have been regulars but that's pretty much it.

KC is my favorite band and I've never seen them live. Disappointed there isn't a Nashville show, as I'm guessing this would be my last chance to see them.

No Belew is maybe a disappointment, but it was announced about 10 months ago that he wasn't going to be part of this lineup. Also, Bruford hasn't been with the band in any capacity since 1997. Not sure it is as shocking that he isn't part of this lineup.

Also, even as a huge fan, I don't really care for A Scarcity of Miracles. I'm not expecting a new album from this lineup (outside of live albums), but I'm hoping they mostly avoid that album.
Old 06-06-14, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I wouldn't expect them to play any 70's material. They usually only play the material from the current lineup. When I saw them on the Three of a Perfect Pair tour, they played all the stuff from those three records. I didn't need to hear Adrian Belew singing Starless and Bible Black, thanks. Now, LTIA, ok.

And that three album lineup of Discipline, Beat, and Three was great and it was fantastic live. Adrian Belew, Fripp, Levin, Bruford - it was pretty special.
Old 06-06-14, 07:34 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Discipline and Beat are as good as anything they did in the '70s. My personal favorite lineup is the LTIA/S&BB/Red crew, but I love all of their albums through Three of a Perfect Pair. After that they were spotty, but had some great stuff after the '80s.
Old 06-06-14, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Discipline and Beat are as good as anything they did in the '70s. My personal favorite lineup is the LTIA/S&BB/Red crew, but I love all of their albums through Three of a Perfect Pair. After that they were spotty, but had some great stuff after the '80s.
Check out the first two Bi Kyo Ran albums and "Stand by" by Heldon.
Old 06-07-14, 01:48 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Will do.
Old 07-19-17, 01:08 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

King Crimson is doing a 2017 fall tour. I'm thinking of going to Dallas and Austin. I recently re-ignited my love for their music after buying the first 7 albums on vinyl.

19 Oct Bass Performance Hall, Austin
21 Oct Music Hall, Dallas
23 Oct Center Stage, Atlanta
24 Oct Center Stage, Atlanta
26 Oct Duke Energy Centre for the Performing Arts, Raleigh
28 Oct Lisner Auditorium, Washington D.C.
29 Oct Lisner Auditorium, Washington D.C.
31 Oct New Jersey Performing Arts Centre, Newark
02 Nov Merriam Theatre, Philadelphia
03 Nov Merriam Theatre, Philadelphia
06 Nov Orpheum Theatre, Boston
08 Nov The Egg, Albany
09 Nov The Egg, Albany
11 Nov Miller Symphony Hall, Allentown
17 Nov Beacon Theatre, New York
18 Nov Beacon Theatre, New York
22 Nov Michigan Theatre, Ann Arbor
24 Nov Hard Rock Cafe, Cleveland
26 Nov Riverside Theatre, Milwaukee
Old 07-19-17, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I picked up tix for the Dallas show. Their recent live album with this lineup is great so I expect the show to be great as well.
Old 07-20-17, 10:06 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Ended up getting tickets to both Austin and Dallas.

2nd row in Austin, 10th row in Dallas.
Old 07-21-17, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Just got tickets today. Six rows back, dead center. Never thought I'd get to see King Crimson.
Old 07-24-17, 02:44 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Woohoo! picked up FRONT ROW for Milwaukee!
Old 11-13-18, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

King Crimson just shared a post from Fripp on their page

Bill Murphy: Robert, do you and your fellow Crims have any plans to return to North American in 2019? If you say yes, I'll give you another $ 100 bill.
RF: Get your money ready, dude.
No dates yet, of course, but I'm excited. Hopefully they'll play within a day's drive of me.