Reload this Page >

Comic books that have made you cry

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic books that have made you cry

Old 02-20-14, 08:15 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Comic books that have made you cry

Dunno...had a lot of movies or tv episodes that choked me up but don't remember being too affected by comics that way. Maybe some imaginary tales ("Robin Dies At Dawn!") or something like that. Later on, got really absorbed in graphic novels (Watchmen) or DD story arcs, etc., but don't remember getting weepy. Probably blocked it out.

It seems that I was affected by the more "realistic" stories such as Robert Kanigher's war books for DC. Stories such as "What's the Color of Your Blood?" that addressed racism, etc...and, of course, stories in which soldiers sacrificed their lives for others or innocent children were killed...those probably brought a few tears.

If we're just taking the thread title literally, though, plenty of comics have made me cry. Seeing Frank Giacoia's inks wreck Barry Smith's pencils on Conan brought out the waterworks. Lots of examples like that (favorite artists/writers being replaced; cancellation of Kirby's Fourth World, etc.). Then again, gnashing of teeth was also a common reaction to those travesties.
Old 02-20-14, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
OH FUCK! Speaking of which, I forgot about Astro City 1/2. That one goes right for the jugular...
I'd forgotten about that story! I don't know if I cried, but I know it chocked me up at the end.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I had never cried at a comic book until recently. I was reading The Walking Dead compendium and turned the page when
Spoiler:
Carl got shot in the head. I was so shocked and stunned I just bawled like a baby. Having a 9 year old son likely contributed a lot of the emotion I felt but I don't want to take anything away from the book.
. I have never felt such emotion after reading a comic book like I did then.
Spoiler:
Not exactly the Walking Dead and a little off topic, but similarly, I remember finishing "The Road" and also having a young son, crawling into his bed that night to sleep with him.
Old 02-20-14, 02:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nobody has mentioned Aunt May's death in Amazing Spider-Man #400? That was just a beautiful final story for Aunt May. The later retcon that made it a genetic actress that died instead of the real Aunt May is one of the main reasons I quit reading Marvel. That retcon pissed me off that much.
Old 02-20-14, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Earth-2 Supes reuniting with Lois at the end of the original Crisis, after he was told she was erased from existence entirely... that was a bigtime touching moment.
Another one "ruined" by the meddling in Infinite Crisis.
Old 02-20-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rorschach was pretty rough.

For some odd reason this Magneto/Scarlet Witch moment hit me:

But Y: The Last Man ending did it for me. I was ok until the epilogue bit with Elvis.
Old 02-20-14, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Nobody has mentioned Aunt May's death in Amazing Spider-Man #400? That was just a beautiful final story for Aunt May. The later retcon that made it a genetic actress that died instead of the real Aunt May is one of the main reasons I quit reading Marvel. That retcon pissed me off that much.
I can't remember crying at a comic book but then I remembered Amazing Spider-man #400. I didn't even read it at the time and thought killing off Aunt May was stupid and that Marvel was right to bring her back. Then I saw a couple scans from the issue a year ago and I got teary eyed. They should have kept that story in continuity.
Old 02-20-14, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg MacGuffin
Aren't they all?
Well played, sir.

The thing with Aunt May's death is that I think people are kidding themselves if they thought such a prominent character was going to stay dead. That is why the death of Superman in the 1990s barely affected me, I knew that in a couple of years the Big S would be back.

I did foolishly believe that DC would bring Barry Allen back after a few years, which was the only thing keeping my animosity against them in check. I never understood why Jay got to hang around and Barry was dead for so long.
Old 02-20-14, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts

When Starr got his cock and balls bitten off in Preacher.
Old 02-20-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Well played, sir.

The thing with Aunt May's death is that I think people are kidding themselves if they thought such a prominent character was going to stay dead. That is why the death of Superman in the 1990s barely affected me, I knew that in a couple of years the Big S would be back.

I did foolishly believe that DC would bring Barry Allen back after a few years, which was the only thing keeping my animosity against them in check. I never understood why Jay got to hang around and Barry was dead for so long.
What role did Aunt May have at that point, though, with Peter being an adult and married and everything? And when they finally brought her back, they let her know Peter's identity anyway. (plus if she had stayed "dead" we wouldn't have had the choice he made in One More Day).

DC was reluctant to change anything that Crisis had changed for years and years. At the time (as a Legion fan) I thought it was dumb, but I'm glad they stuck it out for so long; it allowed the new origins/powers of Superman and Wonder Woman time to breathe, allowed Wally to grow into his role, and the lack of the multiverse meant that they had to come up with a way to integrate the JSA and the golden age heroes into the same continuity (eventually, after placing them in limbo for so long to get them out of the way), which I think worked out great (except for Byrne's Hippolyta thing, which I never liked). And I liked the "Five Years Later" Legion, even the convoluted replacing of Superman's mythos with Valor/Mon-el and Andromeda/Laurel Gand replacing Supergirl.

Then all of a sudden they decided screw all of that, lets undo all of Crisis, have a multiverse again, try to keep it all in one continuity until boom, it all reset again.
Old 02-20-14, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

I forgot all about that one because of the way Marvel ruined it. Yes. I did cry reading that issue. "Second star on the right..."

Originally Posted by fujishig
DC was reluctant to change anything that Crisis had changed for years and years. At the time (as a Legion fan) I thought it was dumb, but I'm glad they stuck it out for so long; it allowed the new origins/powers of Superman and Wonder Woman time to breathe, allowed Wally to grow into his role, and the lack of the multiverse meant that they had to come up with a way to integrate the JSA and the golden age heroes into the same continuity (eventually, after placing them in limbo for so long to get them out of the way), which I think worked out great (except for Byrne's Hippolyta thing, which I never liked). And I liked the "Five Years Later" Legion, even the convoluted replacing of Superman's mythos with Valor/Mon-el and Andromeda/Laurel Gand replacing Supergirl.
I really enjoyed that retcon. It made sense to me (at the time).
Old 02-20-14, 09:54 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have Aunt May's death issue somewhere. Part of me thought that one would stick, because although Aunt May is a major supporting character, she wasn't ever part of the action, and if you can justify permanently killing anyone, it's an old woman.
Old 02-20-14, 10:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

that this wasn't in color as it initially appeared in Heavy Metal magazine as such.
Old 02-21-14, 04:48 AM
Banned

Oh come on now. Aunt May is nowhere near as prominent a character as Superman. Aunt May is a supporting character like Gwen Stacy, and Gwen stayed dead.
Old 02-21-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 438 Likes on 307 Posts

Never cried from a comic, but I did well up a bit at the very end of this one:

Old 02-21-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found "Hulk: The End" to be really depressing. Not really a "cry" moment, but a haunting sort of sadness.

Spoiler:

Old 02-21-14, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Valeyard

I really enjoyed that retcon. It made sense to me (at the time).
The problem I had with that was that there was no need to shoehorn in a Golden Age WW. I realize Byrne was going on a nostalgia trip (he did bring back the invisible plane), and I did enjoy much of his run (though I was sad that everyone looked emaciated... not sure if it was the lack of Austin or a change in art style or if he was just rushed). Except for him further convoluting Donna Troy's origin in an attempt to finally "fix" it.
Old 02-21-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh come on now. Aunt May is nowhere near as prominent a character as Superman. Aunt May is a supporting character like Gwen Stacy, and Gwen stayed dead.
To the mainstream public at the time, she was clearly the second biggest character in the Spider-Man mythos. She was more well-known than any of Spidey's girlfriends or his villains. Killing her off permanently alters the character of Peter Parker in a way that killing another secondary character off doesn't change.

After Lois Lane, she's the second most famous, non-superpowered comic book character of all time.
Old 02-21-14, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Aunt May?

Really?
Old 02-21-14, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

After Lois Lane, she's the second most famous, non-superpowered comic book character of all time.
Alfred?
Old 02-22-14, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Alfred?
I think Aunt May beats Alfred, at least before the recent tidal wave of Batmania from Nolan's films. Someone needs to write a crossover teaming that pair up.
Old 02-22-14, 01:41 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Any number of comics, but here's one I happen to have been reading tonight.

Back in the 80s, Marvel did a series called Fantastic Four vs. the X-Men. The premise was that Kitty Pride had been attacked (during the Mutant Massacre) and her phasing was permanently turned on. In fact, it was getting worse, to the point where her molecules are dispersing. If she can't be cured, she's going to die in a matter of days.

Anyway, the X-Men turn to Reed Richards for help, but for a variety of reasons not germane here, he can't. Then Dr. Doom shows up and offers his services. After much angst, the X-Men decide to accept his offer.

So the X-Men are in Latveria, fully aware that they are putting themselves in debt to a ruthless dictator, but it doesn't matter because it's what they have to do to save Kitty. Only Kitty won't allow her friends to make this sacrifice for her, so she decides to kill herself. She goes out on a spire of Doom's castle with the intention of allowing her molecules to disperse as the sun rises.

Enter Franklin Richards. Franklin, at that point, was written as a 4-year-old and had the power to astrally project himself. So Franklin shows up, sees what Kitty is doing, and starts pleading with her not to do it. Only she can't hear him because he's just an astral projection (or maybe just because she's distracted. I'm not too clear on how Franklin's powers worked at this point, and I'm not sure Chris Claremont was either).

Anyway, we then get this page:

Moving stuff.
Old 02-22-14, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of Dr. Doom, I remember a moving story about the despot rescuing his mother's soul from Mephisto.
Old 02-23-14, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The only story that made me really sad was the back up reprint in Justice League #116. Why they decided to reprint the "Mr. Nobody" story in there doesn't make any sense; especially to my 9 year old self when I read it.

Old 02-23-14, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of Dr. Doom, I remember a moving story about the despot rescuing his mother's soul from Mephisto.
What If? #22?

Old 02-24-14, 10:01 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

They've done the Dr. Doom's mother thing a few times. It shows up first in the early 70s in Astonishing Tales #8, and then it gets returned to from time to time -- in Fantastic Four Annual #20, for example, and most notably in the Dr. Strange/Dr. Doom graphic novel Triumph & Torment (by ROger STern and Mike Mignola -- recently reprinted!)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.