Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Venom (2018, D: Ruben Fleischer) S: Tom Hardy

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Venom (2018, D: Ruben Fleischer) S: Tom Hardy

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-14, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
re: Venom (2018, D: Ruben Fleischer) S: Tom Hardy

Man, that was a let-down. I watched the whole thing, and spider-man never even appeared!
Old 09-23-15, 03:44 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Fans rejoiced earlier this year when Sony finally let its prized possession, Spider-Man, join the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The move, however, wasn’t without its casualties. Among them, Drew Goddard’s Sinister Six, a massive super-villain film fans had been anticipating for years.

Well it turns out maybe that movie isn’t as dead as we all assumed. In fact, if the powers that be at Marvel and Sony want, it could still become part of the plan, instead of collateral damage. We talked to Goddard, who wrote the upcoming film version of The Martian, and he filled us in a bit about his Sinister Six film. The Cabin in the Woods director revealed to io9 that he wrote Sinister Six with a very specific vision—one that could easily fit into the future of the Web-slinger.

“My vision of that movie was a summer annual,” Goddard told io9. “So you didn’t have to worry about continuity. It was just, ‘We take Peter, put him on an adventure, we put him back in his life.’ I intentionally wanted a movie that didn’t have to worry about mythology and continuity. It was important to me to make a movie that could stand on its own. So the good news is, you know, [laughs], it slots in very well to any plan anybody ever wants. We just need to let a couple years go by, I think.”

That’s exciting—especially since we know Marvel both loves Goddard (he’s worked on both seasons of Netflix’s Daredevil) and has big plans for Spider-Man (a new series of films starts in 2017.) Maybe Goddard’s film becomes a future Sony/Marvel crossover.

Plus, despite lots of his hard work getting pushed aside by the new Spider-Man plan, Goddard is totally on board with what’s about to happen.

“The tricky part about all this is I love this plan,” he said. “I love that you get to see Spider-Man in Marvel movies. I think that’s a great thing. I’m on board with that decision because as a fan that’s what I want. So who knows what the future holds? This is Hollywood, man, you’ve gotta play the long game.”

But isn’t The Sinister Six about those specific villains, more than Spider-Man? Not really, teased Goddard.

“It was a Spider-Man movie,” Goddard said. “It was the giant, epic Spider-Man movie of my dreams.”

We’ll have more about Goddard’s next film, The Martian, leading up to the October 2 release.
http://io9.com/the-sinister-six-movi...-if-1732443590
Old 09-23-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Interesting. I think the idea of the Sinister Six starring in a future Spider-Man or Marvel film would be cool but I think they need to hold off on it for a while. I would think it would be a while before Marvel could modify the plans they have for the MCU to make the film fit in with their current release schedule even though Goddard says it could be pretty easily done in terms of where it would fit in continuity wise.
Old 09-23-15, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I admire the idea but think we'd need some character and world building for him to make it fit. Independent or not.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 09-24-15 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-24-15, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Can easily be done, but like he said, needs some years to go by just to establish the Spider-Man in Marvel world and get a couple of villains going. Once they finish up Phrase 3 and that arc (Phrase 1-3), they can easily build towards this and probably make a good chunk of change.
Old 09-24-15, 03:06 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Can't they just throw them all into one movie and then establish them in standalone movies after? Seems like a solid plan.
Old 09-24-15, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Does Marvel really "love" Goddard? I thought the rumor was that they didn't like him for dropping out of Daredevil for this.
Old 09-24-15, 03:31 PM
Banned

The villains sure. Spidey though needs a bit of setup.

----------------

Goddard is on Daredevil season 2. Writing and exec producing.
Old 03-04-16, 04:32 PM

Now that Sony has set Spider-Man on its rebooted path, the studio is setting its sights on other Spider-Man franchises. Case in point: Venom.

Sony has tapped Dante Harper to pen a script for Venom, something that is being envisioned as a franchise apart from and unrelated to the upcoming Spider-Man movie in the works with actor Tom Holland.

Avi Arad and Matt Tolmach, stewards of the Spider-Man properties, are producing and overseeing the project.

Venom is one of Marvel’s top villains and a Spider-Man fixture since he was introduced in 1988, created by writer David Michelinie and artists Todd McFarlane and Mike Zeck. The character is an alien symbiote that need a human host to survive. In return, the alien empowers its victim with incredible powers.

For the longest time, Venom was a villain but then morphed into an anti-hero and even (almost) good guy. In his current incarnation, Venom is paired with Flash Thompson, a Peter Parker bully-turned-close friend and now a government agent.

It is unclear which Venom incarnation is being used for the new project.

The character made its screen appearance in Spider-Man 3 and was played by Topher Grace. A spin-off has been in development in several incarnations, with Gary Ross and Josh Trank among the director coming and going, and writers such as Paul Wernick and Rhett Reese (Deadpool) and Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci penning versions.

This Venom is meant to not only stand on its own but to also launch its own franchise.

Palak Patel and Eric Fineman are overseeing Venom for Sony’s Columbia label.

Harper is an up-and-coming scribe who did rewrite work on Edge of Tomorrow, the time travel sci-fi movie that starred Tom Cruise. He also co-wrote Sleepless Night, the crime thriller that stars Jamie Foxx and Dermot Mulroney.

He is repped by CAA, Management 360, and Lichter, Grossman.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...ebook_20160304
Old 03-04-16, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt this project goes into production, especially if Sony wants to maintain any working relationship with Marvel/Feige.

However, with Rothman now running Sony Pictures, I'm pretty confident he'll run Sony into the ground faster than he did with Fox.
Old 03-04-16, 04:57 PM
Banned

Shit. Rothman runs Sony now? So much for creativity or risks w/ Sony.

EDIT: Since 2015. Damn. I don't typically watch Sony films, for some reason they have the least amount of output that I care for but... can his control over it be felt?

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-04-16 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-04-16, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since 2013? What? Rothman replaced Pascal in 2015 after the Sony hack.

The only reason Marvel and Sony currently have a working relationship is because Kazuo Hirai lost his shit when he discovered Sony Pictures didn't want to work with Disney/Marvel despite them making an attempt when the information dump was leaked. I'm surprised Pascal is even a producer on the new film.

Films like Brothers Grimsby and Ghostbusters were greenlit before Rothman was put into power, but you can already feel his presence taking place with rumors swirling around cuts being made to Grimsby in the US, fights with Feig on Ghostbusters due to budget, and trying to cut Jennifer Lawrence's salary on Passengers.
Old 03-04-16, 05:16 PM
Banned

Yeah. 2015. I didn't see that 2013 was him w/ Tristar.

Jesus... feels so long ago since the hack.
Old 03-04-16, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Since 2013? What? Rothman replaced Pascal in 2015 after the Sony hack.

The only reason Marvel and Sony currently have a working relationship is because Kazuo Hirai lost his shit when he discovered Sony Pictures didn't want to work with Disney/Marvel despite them making an attempt when the information dump was leaked. I'm surprised Pascal is even a producer on the new film.

Films like Brothers Grimsby and Ghostbusters were greenlit before Rothman was put into power, but you can already feel his presence taking place with rumors swirling around cuts being made to Grimsby in the US, fights with Feig on Ghostbusters due to budget, and trying to cut Jennifer Lawrence's salary on Passengers.
Why are you surprised about Pascal.. it was part of her golden parachute. And Rothman has been a part of TriStar before taking the reigns from her. What did he put into motion? The Walk.

I don't understand why they can't wait and use the upcoming Infinity Wars story to properly introduce the symbiote from space? But then why do I bother trying to understand anything about this place..
Old 03-04-16, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Of course it's time to bring back Venom. And of course it'll be Rated R. Because Deadpool.
Old 03-04-16, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not really sure why they're so dead set on making a solo Venom movie to be honest. I've never really found the character so interesting that I think he needs a stand alone film. Just set it up so eventually he faces off with Spider-Man and do it right this time.
Old 03-04-16, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

I think if the suicide squad is a modest hit, they will bring back the sinister six movie idea.
Old 03-04-16, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I don't understand why they can't wait and use the upcoming Infinity Wars story to properly introduce the symbiote from space? But then why do I bother trying to understand anything about this place..
That actually would be a good idea to introduce the symbiote as something that comes about because of the events of the Infinity War films.
Old 03-04-16, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only Venom stuff I've seen is from the cartoons & movie. Venom has to be tied into Spider-Man since that is how he got his spider-tendencies. Otherwise he would just be a goo covered monster.
Old 03-16-17, 05:43 PM

Sony better not be fucking dumb and not consult with Marvel on this...

SPIDER-MAN Spinoff VENOM Finally Has An Official Release Date

Well, this came out of nowhere! Sony Pictures has announced a release date for Venom and it's coming sooner than expected! Will it tie into the MCU? Hit the jump for everything we know so far...

Back when The Amazing Spider-Man Universe was still a thing, Sony Pictures had plans for movies revolving around both Venom and the Sinister Six. Those were shelved as soon as the wall-crawler made the leap to the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but the studio - Sony, not Marvel Studios - has confirmed today that they will release Venom worldwide on October 5th, 2018.

Does that sound familiar? Well, it should, because it's the date which was vacated by Aquaman just a couple of hours ago! There's currently no word on who will direct or how this will tie into the MCU (it probably won't, unfortunately), but it wouldn't be remotely surprising for Sony to head down the R-Rated route following the success of both Deadpool and Logan.

It's also worth noting that Venom will be released following the events of Avengers: Infinity War, and with so much speculation revolving around the possible introduction of the alien costume in that, things could head in a very interesting direction here! What do you guys think? As always, be sure to let us know your thoughts and theories in the comments section down below.

UPDATE: Well, here's a potentially concerning bit of information, but one which was to be expected...

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/venom...e-date-a149676
Old 03-16-17, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts

If they play it smart, they can tie in the symbiote with Thor/Infinity Wars as to how it gets to Earth. However, having Kurtzman involved makes me wary.
Old 03-16-17, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think there's a good possibility that the symbiote could be introduced partially in Infinity War. It would kind of make sense with the cosmic elements that will be in play in that film. It could travel with the Guardians of the Galaxy crew or Thanos or something.

I just hope that this time they do justice to that storyline as I've always liked black suit Spidey and the symbiote storyline. Sony had better consult with Marvel before they go screwing things up with a Venom film though.
Old 03-16-17, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Old 03-16-17, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really sort of surprised that Sony is moving forward with this. If they would just sit back and shut up and let Marvel do their thing they wouldn't have to do much work at all and could still make a profit. Instead they risk the working relationship with Marvel that they currently have and do something like this. I really don't get their goal here. They're probably thinking they can go along the lines of Deadpool or Logan but I wonder really how a Venom film will do. Also I wonder if Holland is involved or if this will tie in with the MCU at all or what. The smart thing would be to keep Marvel in the loop as consultants but who knows if they will.
Old 03-17-17, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

There is a possibility of being tied into Homecoming as this is now scheduled to come out only a few months later.

Of course this could be a knee-jerk reaction with that Oct 5 slot suddenly being open. There's not even a script.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.