Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 2015)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 2015)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-18, 10:45 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts
Re: Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 201

Really getting into this game and upgraded and crafting and so far running and parkouring around zombies. But, the more stuff you do, the more money to buy weapons and upgrades and I’ve just scratched service I think. Saw a very big dude with hammer. He was scary. Any way to kill him? Still getting fun...
Old 07-06-18, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Dying Light (from Dead Island Devs -- PS3, PS4, PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One -- Feb 201

Nicknamed..."Slug-go".....fire is a good choice with a few Molotov Cocktails. Then using any melee with fire & shock helps. Use any of the surroundings to your advantage....like gas cans and cars that can explode. It's a hoot to just throw fire crackers at him, all the zombies come to him and he'll send them flying. Just watch his pattern....he'll drag that pole with concrete and then whip it over for a smackdown....half the time that's when you can strike but sometimes he'll do a spin I think...

But you really need the Bow and use the elemental arrows. By far that's the most versatile weapon in the game. You get the opportunity to get after reaching Survivor 9 at one of the Quartermasters in the Safe Zones. Invest in it and the elemental arrows....a Explosive Arrow to the head works wonders.
Old 07-07-18, 05:04 PM

thanks again. i do find an electrical trap here and there and turn that sucker on and fry like a dozen of them. just keep leading them in. i shut off and loot. so much fun. i think i just bought first club with some electrical thing. i'm still just starting really. finished giving Gazi tape and chocolate. don't know how far that is, but guessing not too. think i'm finding my first air drop now...
Old 07-08-18, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by OldBoy
thanks again. i do find an electrical trap here and there and turn that sucker on and fry like a dozen of them. just keep leading them in. i shut off and loot. so much fun. i think i just bought first club with some electrical thing. i'm still just starting really. finished giving Gazi tape and chocolate. don't know how far that is, but guessing not too. think i'm finding my first air drop now...
Glad you are enjoying it...it is a fun and funny game rolled into one......on the Air Drops...use your arsenal and surroundings to your advantage. If you get there and zombies are around, chunk some firecrackers off and lead them away followed by a fire bomb. I assume you're not high enough for the Survivor>Camouflage Perk....that is A Must To Have Perk when it becomes available especially for solo...even in co-op in certain areas you need it.
Old 07-09-18, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I've tried this game twice and given up to play something else at the same place each time - the first night-time mission where you have to go from one place to another. Why won't they just let me do it in the morning ?
Old 07-09-18, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A easy way to gain XP is go out at night and get the 'Survive The Night" honor....and you can do it without so much lifting a finger and will help opening up some much needed skills....

Where the Double Doors are leading out of the first main Safe Zone....you can park almost right past the threshold and make sure you knell down and don't move. If they do come if you time it right jump back inside and they'll do the same getting zapped by the Ultra Violet and you can take them down. You can also do the same to some buildings to the left...go up on the roof or in a room but always knell and don't move. The "Glowies" are pretty bad at first and need to be careful.
Old 07-09-18, 10:21 PM

Yeah, I was out at night and these horrible things kept chasing me and all I did was sprint through. Got crazy skill points or whatever. It was really terrifying. Been awhile since a game did that...

Still wish I could just blast them with an unlimited ammo shot gun, but not that type of game. Actually takes some thought and some missions really puzzlers getting in someplaces. I admit to getting a little help on youtube a couple times, but fun to figure out on own. That sixth sense or whatever that shows you collectibles and where mission objective is is so useful and keep forgetting to use it. Love buying the newer weapons. The Lacerator is a nice one. Don’t seem to know how to upgrade that one. But love crafting, buying, selling...

Want to make some boosters I have plans for. How long do they last? And when with shop how do I get the deal of day? It sometimes shows stuff I need, but don’t know how to buy. It’s on right hand side, blinking and stuff, but can’t get it or buy it...

Anyway, I think i’m just tipping surface and can’t wait for what monsters are yet to come and see how this story unfolds and save people or die trying. How many missions? How long game? And when do shotguns appear? And there’s this mission Holy tunnels or something where you got to cover manholes, but so many zombies. Don’t think I’m ready for that...

Also, lock picking, whether hard or medium is becoming really easy. Sometimes I don’t even break 1. Does it get harder than hard?

K&A, I have no idea where you’re talking about to just knell and wait, but would love to earn xp and stuff...

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-09-18 at 10:43 PM.
Old 07-10-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Easy XP At Night.....

<iframe width="1118" height="629" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/J46vUGRB1TQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is what we did at first but there are Safe Houses that you can just go out and run around, grapple, jump fences, climb in a tight circle to get the Agility Points....and where those doors are in the video; just right outside them you can knell and don't move and get the Survive The Night bonus.. but if you go out and just run around staying close to the Safe House...and you'll get the points. Just watch where they are and go in the opposite side or something. The more you climb, jump, grapple the more points. Just be mindful of where the Zombies are.

Boosters...I think a couple of minutes but I believe you can make them last longer

Lock Picking...I think there is a Master and that one you have to be dead on...like not even a 1/16" off
Old 07-10-18, 07:59 PM

thanks again K&A. will try next time i get to play...
Old 07-14-18, 08:28 PM

this game really gets addicting. i mean really all i'm doing is running and jumping for my life and doing quests for everybody, but having a ton of fun doing it.

are all skills just 1 point or can you accumulate?
Old 07-16-18, 10:28 PM

So when I’m at a shop and they flash this special on right hand side (limited time only), how do I get to it to buy it?
Old 07-17-18, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As I recall...the vendors will put up the 'Limited Time Special' that can be a bit confusing because it's for selling items and ones they are buying (paying top dollar for). You might see weapons and even plants.
Old 07-17-18, 09:14 AM

ah, thanks K&A.
Old 07-21-18, 09:57 PM

so how bad is it to die, alot, and lose survivor points. like 800 at one shot? it takes away from gaining my ability skill point, correct?
Old 07-22-18, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so how bad is it to die, alot, and lose survivor points. like 800 at one shot? it takes away from gaining my ability skill point, correct?
Yep....just don't do it a lot. Unlike some games that has no penalty except starting from another point...you do lose skill points. Just have to know your limits, load up with better gear and stronger weapons. Best thing is go back to areas when they congregate....near cars and such...and take out a bunch to regain your points. Do a few "nights" because that's where XP really comes from. When it starts getting tough....firecrackers & grapple are your friends.
Old 07-22-18, 04:46 PM

thanks for all your help K&A. your help is making this game better and more fun...

but, shouldn't i have a gun or 2 at this point? i have ammo in my backpack and i lockpick "Very Hard" police vans, but no guns. i supe up my melee weapons, but found no guns for myself...

it's not so much the zombies killing me at this point, but Rais' men with machine guns and now it's 1,000 survivor points lost a pop when dead. To bad there is no silent takedown in this game, I could use them on mission I’m dealing with stealing from Rais’ guys at a construction site. I’m trying to do it stealthy, but you really can’t. When a blow hits, that’s noise and everyone else comes runnng. I just don’t have the weapons and throwables to get by them. And god forbid I learn this grapple and super grapple thing I got on perks tree. I see how to do it, but god forbid I do it right and ttt I’m not sure what it does...

also, i just finished meeting Jade at Tower after finding plastic explosives in school if that gives you an idea of where i am in game, which i have no idea...

Last edited by OldBoy; 07-22-18 at 08:54 PM.
Old 07-23-18, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You're welcome.....

...Guns are good and yes you do need them against the bad guys...sometimes. Always make sure you have enough Health Sticks, use boosters...Speed with a melee is a blast. Use various grenades beside the Molotov Cocktails...poison is good. Don't underestimate the Grapple....sling that at one, pull him in and pnch/kick him. Use oil & gas barrels along with spike traps. Near a van or vehicle....jump on it or hide and throw out the Firecrakers at them to get the zombies after them.

Not sure if you have Smoke Grenades...but they really help. Toss a few in there, they can't see a thing, hit a damage booster and whack away...or pull out a shotgun for point blank devastation......they're good for a quick escape when it gets too harry and you need to hide & heal. But the Grapple is more than just moving around. Take it out and practice on some slow moving zombies and time it to where when you pull the in, lay the Smack Down on them...it's a hoot....or get close to one of those Spike Barricades or Poles and reel them in...Splat!!
Old 07-23-18, 08:53 PM

where or when do i get smoke grenades? do i buy them or have to find blueprints to craft them? and where do i get guns? find them or will shops eventually start selling them? and do you know according to my description above, where exactly i am in the game, story wise? thanks.
Old 07-24-18, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sorry about that....I'm thinking the whole game...don't think Smoke Grenades came about until "The Following" DLC in the other area....you get them in crates.

As to the guns....higher your Survival Rank..the better weapons are. Getting your Survival Rank up is really important. Also, collect and exchanged unwanted stuff with the Quartermaster for better stuff. As to Mods making them better...The King...gold ones..are best and usually found in hard to open locks like trunks of Police Cars & Vans The Gold & Purple Items allow for more mods and higher & better the mod...the better overall weapon & damage coupled with your Survival Rating.

As to the Guns themselves...the Ak-47 was sort of the best all around but I always carried a Shotgun for those up close & personal encounters...plus they do a great deal on the bigger guys especially with some good mods. There's a Police Rifle that's overall good...some advance or something. A Marksman Rifle is good for distance, damage and balance. Pistols...so-so... I stayed with Shotguns and certain rifles but then again only used when needed.
Old 07-28-18, 10:59 PM

how the hell do you sneak up on a bolter, at night, and get a tissue sample? they see, when i chase i get eaten by all others, Volatiles, etc. and die. Can you kill Volatiles?
Old 07-29-18, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

how the hell do you sneak up on a bolter, at night, and get a tissue sample? they see, when i chase i get eaten by all others, Volatiles, etc. and die. Can you kill Volatiles?
If memory is right....the easiest way...there's some Gas Station near the main safe house or maybe another where one or two spawn....best to do at night. But get on top and you need to be really sneaky and quite....but to draw attention from your direction, throw some Firecrackers which he'll look the other way.

Do you have the Camouflage Perk yet....smear the Zombie Guts on? That helps but if not then you can use a good throwing knife or Axe. Get two shots in if you can and that should be enough. If not just run and whack him. don't worry about getting the tissue but make a beeline to the safe house. Wait till the Volatiles chill and go back and get it.

Yes...you can kill them but make sure you have some UV flares and the UV Light accessible in your wheel.....you'll need them. Use your best melee weapon and take any booster. This is easy with two but with them you never know if a second will be close by and pounce. Having the Camouflage Perk with them is a major boost. Whack one, get the guts, smear and you can get close to another and take them out. If you see one coming and is about to pounce, throw a flare out, it will stun and blind them for a few seconds and that's when you whack them.
Old 07-29-18, 04:13 PM

Thanks again for tips. I don’t have the camo perk yet. Or hardly anything else yet you mentioned. I must be doing something wrong Probably too much dying...
Old 07-29-18, 05:26 PM

...and I just got camo perk!
Old 07-29-18, 06:01 PM

man, that
Spoiler:
Rahim death scene
was kinda emotional. i didn't think this was about story, but it's not a bad one and i am invested...
Old 07-29-18, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by K&AJones
If memory is right....the easiest way...there's some Gas Station near the main safe house or maybe another where one or two spawn....best to do at night. But get on top and you need to be really sneaky and quite....but to draw attention from your direction, throw some Firecrackers which he'll look the other way.

Do you have the Camouflage Perk yet....smear the Zombie Guts on? That helps but if not then you can use a good throwing knife or Axe. Get two shots in if you can and that should be enough. If not just run and whack him. don't worry about getting the tissue but make a beeline to the safe house. Wait till the Volatiles chill and go back and get it.

Yes...you can kill them but make sure you have some UV flares and the UV Light accessible in your wheel.....you'll need them. Use your best melee weapon and take any booster. This is easy with two but with them you never know if a second will be close by and pounce. Having the Camouflage Perk with them is a major boost. Whack one, get the guts, smear and you can get close to another and take them out. If you see one coming and is about to pounce, throw a flare out, it will stun and blind them for a few seconds and that's when you whack them.
Btw: gas station is where I got sample. Had to sleep a couple cycles bc kept not being able to get. But killed it, got attacked by volatiles, ran to safe house, went back, lost body, found body and tissue sample acquired...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.