Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last comic (single issue) you read?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last comic (single issue) you read?

Old 06-06-16, 03:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 670 Likes on 448 Posts
Re: What's the last comic (single issue) you read?

I just read the first two issues of IDW's new Micronauts series. I'm biased, but in both directions if that makes sense. The Marvel series was one of my first loves and a key cog in my lifetime of collecting. So I'm biased to hate anything that can't be the same as it was; and they don't have the license to the Marvel parts of the concept, which were key to the greatness of it. But I'm also biased to want new content, so perhaps will be too forgiving.

So far, I'm cautiously optimistic. The non-human artwork is lovely and evokes the toys well for me. The story seems to be setting up a potentially good universe, and I'm definitely in for the ride this time.

The Devils Due and Image attempts of the 90s/00s didn't grab me, although I do need to give them a fairer shot someday.

The writer for this new series, Collen Bunn, looks to be a good fit, as he grew up loving the toys and early Marvel comics. http://www.westfieldcomics.com/blog/...ws-micronauts/
Old 06-16-16, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,128 Likes on 888 Posts

Read issue two of Scooby Apocalypse (my store didn't have the first but I ordered it). I'm not really sure what to think about it yet. It's definitely a new take on the characters with some of it good and some of it weird.

It's basically an origin as Fred and Daphne know each other (they work together) and Shaggy and Scooby know each other obviously. Velma and Shaggy work together too and know each other somewhat but aren't close. This issue is also the gang's first encounter with the monsters seemingly and the apocalypse is just starting. It's strange to have a Scooby Doo story take itself more seriously and for there to not be much comedy but yet it's not so bleak and dark that it's totally out of tone from what you'd expect. I don't hate it and will probably stick with it for a while at least.

Last edited by Mike86; 06-16-16 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I was intrigued by the new Rachel Rising omnibus, and the series seems to have gotten good reviews, so I purchased the first issue for 99 cents and liked it enough to order the omnibus.

Old 09-27-16, 03:41 PM

I usually log my reading in the monthly Challenge threads, but often forget. Here are some books that I read (mostly on Comixology), probably in the last year, but I don't remember which months, so I'm just throwing them here so I have them documented.

Cluster 1
Sunrise 1 - a little wordless Indy about a monster searching for the sun
Justice League (new 52) 0, 13 - I can dig it
Justice League of America (new 52) 1
Sheltered 1-2
Captain Canuck (original) 1
Copra 1 - great stuff
Giant Days 1 (of 6)
Kanan - The Last Padawan 1-2 - liked enough to buy rest of series while on sale
Marie and Jeanne 1 - young Joan of Arc
Mickey Mouse - The Made-to-Measure Present
DC Universe Rebirth 1
Justice League: The New Frontier Special 1
Green Lantern 195 - Crisis crossover
Justice League of America 200 - read for a podcast

Last edited by Trevor; 01-08-17 at 07:45 PM.
Old 10-02-16, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Josie and the Pussycats #1, which came out a few days ago. It's an interesting take on that part of the Archie Comics' continuity, and one thing I do like is that they made Melody the "smart" person in the group like the first animated season.
Old 12-10-16, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I was intrigued by the new Rachel Rising omnibus, and the series seems to have gotten good reviews, so I purchased the first issue for 99 cents and liked it enough to order the omnibus.

I read this recently. Only disappointment was it ended prematurely and the final battle per se was anticlimactic, but a great series nonetheless.

I just read Death of X 1-4, after marathoning through Bendis's run of X-men to get some background on cyclops. I realize it's tough to do a flashback story one year after, but it definitely was not worth the wait, nor was it worth the 16 bucks retail. And like other poorly done flashback stories, there's still a disconnect here... why is Cyclops so universally hated after what he seemingly did? The Inhumans do much much worse in this very issue and Storm especially seems weak here. It goes along with the bias towards I humans who are seemingly embraced by the human populace despite triggering genetic mutations, while Mutants have always been hated.

This whole Inhumans replacing Mutants for corporate purposes has absolutely killed one of their hottest franchises to me, which is sad.
Old 12-10-16, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The end of Death of X made me want to punch things.

I had some hope for their post-IvX launch but the announcements left me disappointed.

The last things I read were the Secret Invasion tie-ins of Peter David's X-Factor. The story was okay but the guest artist was TURRIBLE. I just powered through them as quickly as I could.
Old 12-10-16, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
The end of Death of X made me want to punch things.

I had some hope for their post-IvX launch but the announcements left me disappointed.
I just don't get it. For months and months and months you had people saying how horrible what a Cyclops did was, how he committed genocide, going so far as calling little Cyclops like a little Hitler. Magik attacked Sunfire calling him a traitor (spoiler alert: both of them were on Cyclops' side in the mini).

It really does seem like they were positioning Cyclops to do something terrible, then saw that the Inhumans sucked and can't replace the XMen and then didn't have the guts to go through with it. But it makes absolutely no sense.i understand things can be loosely connected but this mini was written one year later for the express purpose of filling in the gap of what happened to Cyclops. I'm tempted to just bail on IvX without even reading a single page. I do like the mini Excalibur reunion they're teasing in XMen Gold though... Kitty, Kurt, Rachel and even Peter together. But it'll probably be more of the same crap.
Old 12-27-16, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Read a single issue of Velvet and will likely pick up more in the current Image comixology sale. I've always meant to read more Brubaker.

Read six issues of Jennifer Blood from a Dynamite bundle and liked it well enough, but am not sure how it would hold up over the long term. Comixology has a 36-issue bundle for $25 that would be cheaper than a sale even factoring in the fact that I already own six, so I don't have to decide right away.
Old 12-27-16, 05:20 PM

Read a single issue of Velvet and will likely pick up more in the current Image comixology sale. I've always meant to read more Brubaker.

Read six issues of Jennifer Blood from a Dynamite bundle and liked it well enough, but am not sure how it would hold up over the long term. Comixology has a 36-issue bundle for $25 that would be cheaper than a sale even factoring in the fact that I already own six, so I don't have to decide right away.
I have a standing rule that I don't buy anything from Dynamite on Comixology or Dark Horse, at least until Groupees proves they're done bundling them.
Old 12-27-16, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
I have a standing rule that I don't buy anything from Dynamite on Comixology or Dark Horse, at least until Groupees proves they're done bundling them.
That makes sense, and I went back and checked the three Groupees bundles I've purchased, but those only had Jennifer Blood 1-4. It seems like the ones I have from there and Comixology will cover one arc but not deep into a run. That's a small sample size, though, and the current Top Cow bundle at Groupees goes as far as vol. 5 on some titles.

If I really want to read a series, though, I don't mind throwing some bucks at it.
Old 12-29-16, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 783 Likes on 657 Posts

I read Supreme #12 with a pretty cool cover by Stephen Platt. Dollar Tree stores have been getting in old back issues individually packaged in plastic wrap. Most of the inventory is worthless Image comics from the 90s but a few stray DC/Marvel issues sneak in the mix.

Supreme has lost his powers in this issue but is compensating for it with Thor's hammer. Yes, Liefeld blatantly ripped off Marvel's character.
Old 12-29-16, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

A friend of mine that still buys monthlies passed along "The Coming of the Supermen" by Neal Adams, with the warning that it would be pretty ghastly. I'm an old school fan and have several Omnibuses of Adams '70s work, but this was awful on all fronts.
Old 12-29-16, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 209 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Read issue two of Scooby Apocalypse (my store didn't have the first but I ordered it). I'm not really sure what to think about it yet. It's definitely a new take on the characters with some of it good and some of it weird.
I don't keep up with the monthly solicitations any more (and I used to live by them, -are the Hanna Barbera "Reboot" books from DC like "Scooby Apocalypse" still being published? Did they "sell"?
Old 12-29-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DWilson
A friend of mine that still buys monthlies passed along "The Coming of the Supermen" by Neal Adams, with the warning that it would be pretty ghastly. I'm an old school fan and have several Omnibuses of Adams '70s work, but this was awful on all fronts.
I've haven't heard much good about that hardcover but bought it as a show of support for DC continuing to hire Neal Adams. It's Neal drawing Superman, it can't be that bad.
Old 01-22-17, 06:25 PM

Have recently read the first six issues of Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. Groovy stuff, issue six gives me a Sandman vibe with it's use of other mythologies and origins of supporting characters.
Old 01-23-17, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm starting the road to War of Kings so I read Nova #13-#22 and issues #1-#3 of Guardians of The Galaxy this weekend.
Old 03-15-17, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I hadn't thought about the Omega Men in decades, but they were in a Comixology sale, and for whatever reason I recognized them and bought the first 13 issues. I've read four, and they're good nostalgia, plus the Giffen art is highly reminiscent of the Legion stuff he did around the same time. I bought what seemed like an arc since Wikipedia says that the creators changed at some point, so we'll see how well it holds up. I also have no idea how many of them I read back in the floppy days.

Old 03-15-17, 03:40 PM

I hadn't thought about the Omega Men in decades, but they were in a Comixology sale, and for whatever reason I recognized them and bought the first 13 issues. I've read four, and they're good nostalgia, plus the Giffen art is highly reminiscent of the Legion stuff he did around the same time. I bought what seemed like an arc since Wikipedia says that the creators changed at some point, so we'll see how well it holds up. I also have no idea how many of them I read back in the floppy days.

I've read very little of that original run, but have always imagined that I'd like it. There was an Alan Moore backup story or two that were stellar, obviously.

The recent run by Tom King gets great reviews, it's on the top of my read pile.
Old 03-16-17, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
I've read very little of that original run, but have always imagined that I'd like it. There was an Alan Moore backup story or two that were stellar, obviously.

The recent run by Tom King gets great reviews, it's on the top of my read pile.
Yeah, I was unaware of the new series, which was in the same sale. The fact that the original series appears to not be in a collected edition made it an easy choice to purchase the digital singles.
Old 03-17-17, 10:26 PM

Read a comic just now that I never imagined I would, an old Dell Four Color, issue #1300. It was in digital format on The Comancheros blu-ray.
https://www.comics.org/issue/17349/
Drawn from the shooting script, had a different ending that was neat to see.
Old 03-19-17, 06:30 PM

Had to get my Bernie on today. to one of the greatest.
Old 04-16-17, 09:25 PM

So I haven't actually finished reading this yet, but since I was shocked to find an unknown autograph in back to back reads tonight, I wanted to post about them both before I forgot. I bought this DC Treasury book on ebay recently, no mention of a Mike Grell autograph, but there she was on the bottom of the title page. (The other mystery autograph was in a trade, Astronauts in Trouble, see our last collection you read thread.)
Old 04-17-17, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's always cool discovering a signature in one of your back issues. It has happened to me a couple of times.

In keeping with this thread, I recently picked up a lot of random Superman and Green Lantern back issues from eBay.

I've been reading the Superman: Secret Origin mini-series with art by Gary Frank. It's probably most notable for having Superman drawn as Christopher Reeve in it. I've always liked the series as Johns basically reintroduces much of the Silver Age motif back into Superman's origin, including Superboy's time with the Legion. I think Johns came up with the most plausible explanation for the genesis of Clark wearing a costume in the first place.
Old 04-17-17, 03:53 PM

^ I'm way behind in reading all the Superman origins. That Geoff Johns series you're reading only came out a few years after the big re-telling of his origin by Mark Waid, right? Superman: Birthright I think it was called. I grew to enjoy Bryne's Man of Steel, but should read those others someday.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.