Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the last comic (single issue) you read?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What's the last comic (single issue) you read?

Old 10-20-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: What's the last comic (single issue) you read?

Im trying to get caught up on batman books
Batman n52 1-12
Batgirl 1-12
Tdk 1-12

Next is nightwing and catwoman
Old 11-09-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Ten Grand 8
Old 11-10-14, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tooth and Claw #1 2014

Great stuff!!
Old 11-16-14, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

Westward 1
Old 11-16-14, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Read aquaman 1 thru 30 and justice league 1 thru 17 this weekend
Old 11-16-14, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Savage Dragon 199, which is all double page spreads. Basically a 10 panel comic book.

Visually it was breathtaking. Story was just ok.
Old 11-16-14, 04:13 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

So the last comic book I read was one I created myself, almost 40 years ago.

Growing up, I loved DC's horror books like House of Mystery, Unexpected, and Witching Hour. I especially enjoyed the occasional humor stories in said books, and the one page cartoon gags by Sergio Aragones and the like.

I regret part of this now, but at pretty much the only "purge mode" moment in my entire life, I got rid of most of my comics. (I was moving on to baseball cards or something). But before I gave them away, I went through those DC horror books and cut out all of the humor stories. I never made a cover for it, but this 50 or so page "comic book" is the gem of my collection.

Note the maze that I actually filled out, my block lettering of my name in the 'so stupid to spend $1 on a comic book' certificate, and the 1972 gem of a story that likely inspired the creation of DC's best ever comic, Plop!

Old 11-16-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Even as a 10-year-old, I could never cut up, or write, on my comics. I lost the cover to one of my first X-Men issues and swore never again that any comic of mine would be in less than pristine condition.
Old 11-16-14, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Even as a 10-year-old, I could never cut up, or write, on my comics. I lost the cover to one of my first X-Men issues and swore never again that any comic of mine would be in less than pristine condition.
I used to be the same way. But in the above case, I wasn't doing the damage to my comics, but to my neighbor Jan to whom I had given them.

I used to bag and board everything, and only handling them with white gloves (slight exaggeration). But once I hit 30 or so, I stopped caring about condition. I buy comics to read them. Give me a slabbed Action #1 and I'm ripping it open and reading it.
Old 11-19-14, 05:57 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant? by Roz Chast.
Old 10-14-15, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Enjoying some new books

Uncanny Avengers 1 - I actually like the teams line up as i am entertained by deadpool but his standalone series is too much deadpool for me so i liked his dynamic in this series. this book is a lot more humorous then i thought. only downfall for me is i find the art in this book horrible im not familiar with the artist but the style isnt for me. I may just wait to read more once it hits unlimited.

Superman - Lois and Clark 1 - I liked this one more then I expected and kinda like this take on Superman in the n52 universe.
Old 10-14-15, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,190 Likes on 916 Posts

Just read Trick r Treat: Days of the Dead. It was pretty cool. I doubt they'll adapt this particular TPB into the sequel but I really like the timelines it followed.
Old 10-16-15, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The New Avengers 1 ..outside of squirrel girl im not too familiar with the line up. really short book under 20 pages i bellieve (arent these bi weekly too?) ill read thru the first arc but nothing to promising here

The Guardians of the Galaxy 1 my first gotg book so maybe thats why i like the teams dynamic now with the changes i iked the first issue again short but il give this one a shot prolly my favorite next to dr, strange out of the new books
Old 10-17-15, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

Note the maze that I actually filled out, my block lettering of my name in the 'so stupid to spend $1 on a comic book' certificate, and the 1972 gem of a story that likely inspired the creation of DC's best ever comic, Plop!

Great stuff Trevor.

I love all the DC mystery/horror comics and own a ton of them....and PLOP! I actually have every issue, and Plop! #1 was the first comic I ever bought.
Old 10-17-15, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The walking Dead 147 - i read TWD in tpb form up until all out war concluded so i got use to reading 5/6 issues at once. my friend wanted me to pull the book for him on my list so i began reading it monthy and only cow that would drive me nuts the only reason im still reading it like this is because its free. i still love the book but coudnt imagine paying 4$ for 3 minutes of reading every month.
Old 12-01-15, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

read

Trinity 1-3 today
Old 12-02-15, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Great stuff Trevor.

I love all the DC mystery/horror comics and own a ton of them....and PLOP! I actually have every issue, and Plop! #1 was the first comic I ever bought.
I wish I could claim that as my first book! Plop was my first "must buy every issue" book, and I'm quite sad that they've rebooted every book they've every tried except it.
Originally Posted by terrycloth
read

Trinity 1-3 today
1993, 2003, or 2008?
Old 12-02-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

2003 Trinity

ill have to track down 93...anygood? i have 2008 series also
Old 12-02-15, 04:00 PM

2003 Trinity

ill have to track down 93...anygood? i have 2008 series also
Sadly, I've yet to read any of them. I think I only own the one you just read, that's the Matt Wagner one, right? I know I'll freaking love it, just waiting for a day when I need a 'sure winner' to read it.

I'm not alone in that 'philosophy' am I? When you have hundreds of unread/unwatched /unplayed things, and know that title A is a sure thing, you sometimes watch/read/play all the others first, taking years to get to some of the best things?
Old 12-02-15, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

while not the same but similar..

examples X-men iv read barely anything and i cant bring myself to jump to the good stuff as i have to start from the beginning.
Old 12-02-15, 09:59 PM

while not the same but similar..

examples X-men iv read barely anything and i cant bring myself to jump to the good stuff as i have to start from the beginning.
Start at the beginning?! I know the feeling quite well. I was a huge reader from the mid 70s to the early 90s, but then was on and off cold turkey until a few years ago. Between the decades I largely missed, the stuff from my glory years I want to re-read, the current stuff, and the even older than me stuff; I'm in a constant conundrum of what to read, and how hard to stick to my usual chronological OCD.

But on the X-men, what do you mean by good stuff? Opinions vary greatly iirc. If you mean the Claremont stuff, then you only have what, 93 issues before he starts?
Old 12-03-15, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Honestly, for X-Men, the pre Claremont stuff can be glossed over a bit because the storytelling of that time basically recapped everything you needed to know. For the post Claremont years, things changed so much from creative team to creative team that it's easier to just pick an era.

I dunno, when I was a kid I would sometimes just read random issues of comics. Back then the newness of the characters that I didn't know was exciting, and the little blurbs about how the backstory happened in some back issue made me excited to try to track them down and made it feel like so much was happening concurrently. When I finally read the backstory, it somehow didn't really compare to my imagination a lot of times.
Old 12-03-15, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Trevor
Start at the beginning?! I know the feeling quite well. I was a huge reader from the mid 70s to the early 90s, but then was on and off cold turkey until a few years ago. Between the decades I largely missed, the stuff from my glory years I want to re-read, the current stuff, and the even older than me stuff; I'm in a constant conundrum of what to read, and how hard to stick to my usual chronological OCD.

But on the X-men, what do you mean by good stuff? Opinions vary greatly iirc. If you mean the Claremont stuff, then you only have what, 93 issues before he starts?

lol outside of a few key intros those 90 ish issues ae torture to me anyways. by good stuff its more aimed toward finally reading the main arcs Pheonix Saga, Age of apocalypse, DOFP, etc. i enjoy some of the new X books but feel they reference a lot of material i have yet to read. plus factor in when you have to track down all the other spinoff books....
Old 12-03-15, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

Only the first 66 issues of X-Men are original content. 67-93 are reprints. That said, those early issues might be the nadir of the Lee/Kirby catalog. The post Kirby stuff is even worse until Neal Adams comes along in #55. Those final dozen issues are totally worth reading though, and John Byrne in particular drew a lot of inspiration from that era. Otherwise, just start with Giant Size #1. It's practically a new book anyway. Read up through Days of Future Past. That pretty much covers everything important. I love X-Men, and there's a lot of good stuff that comes later, but everything after Byrne leaves is more or less just a variation on a theme.
Old 12-03-15, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

read Avengers 1-13 today leading up to Infinity.
really enjoyed the spy issue (11? maybe) very 007 feel to it) and liked the main story

next up is probally new avengers before diving into infinity

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.