Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Fast and Furious 6 (2013, D: Lin S: Johnson, Diesel, Walker) -- The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Fast and Furious 6?
It was awesome. Bring on Part 7!
61.04%
It was good, not great. Still entertained.
25.97%
It was just okay
5.19%
Didn't like it. But will continue watching the series
2.60%
Hated it. I'm done with the series. Screw Part 7, 8, 9
1.30%
I'm in this thread because I'm bored and I read every single thread in Movie Talk
2.60%
I'm lazy and will wait until it's released on BD this Fall
1.30%
I want to see this movie, but can't because of my damn kids.
0%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Fast and Furious 6 (2013, D: Lin S: Johnson, Diesel, Walker) -- The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-13, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Fast and Furious 6 (2013, D: Lin S: Johnson, Diesel, Walker) -- The Reviews Threa

Saw it today. I actually enjoyed it more than Iron Man 3. It was a bit better than Fast Five but I still like FF1 and FF4 better. Still a fun series.
Old 05-27-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Fast and Furious 6 (2013, D: Lin S: Johnson, Diesel, Walker) -- The Reviews Threa

Fast Five still remains the high point of this series. This was close though. I think that ending kind of puts it up there since you leave the theater on a high wondering what else The Transporter is going to do to mess up Dom's family.
Furious 6 did get the most reactions from the audience though than from any of the other F&F movies I saw at the theater. The last one seemed more lively, maybe it had to do with the locale. I'm not sure. Anyways, solid effort that got hunkered down by some cheesiness and some drag in the middle.
Old 05-27-13, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw this today and absolutely loved it. I love that the franchise is a bit like a fine wine, getting better as it goes on. Kind of the reverse effect of most franchises. Everything flowed together so perfectly, cast was great and the action was what I was expecting. Some of the most fun I've had at the movies in awhile.

I'm looking forward to Fast Seven but I hope it's not true that The Rock may not be in it due to the generic Hercules movie he plans on doing. I think he was the missing piece of the puzzle to help in re-invigorating the series to what it's become.

I loved the wrap up scene with Statham. It had everyone in shock, including myself. But I was hoping they were going to "undo" Han's death in Tokyo Drift. He was a really likable character.
Old 05-27-13, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That fact that not only does that big warning card at the end exist at all, but that it's HUGE and there to warn everyone in the theater about the difference between fantasy and reality is a frankly terrifying commentary on modern society.
Old 05-27-13, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Saw it, loved it! BTW our title card said Furious 6, not Fast 6. Were they using different titles in different places?
Old 05-27-13, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I had a lot of fun with this, but I liked 5 better overall. Especially since 5 ended on a happier note with all the characters enjoying life after success, where as Han and Gisele leave this on a bit more of a downer. I also thought it dragged a bit in the middle, particularly during the Lefty and Dom race. And the end to the tank scene and plane take down felt a little too ridiculous this time around.

Still, probably the funniest entry thanks to Tyrese who was hilarious throughout. And all the hand to hand scenes were the best in the series yet. The clothesline was awesome, even though we got a glimpse of it in the trailers. Loved Han and Roman getting their assets beat too.
Old 05-27-13, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

With Han being murdered by Ian Shaw (Statham) I would have to think that Hobbs will be involved in the next movie. Plus, aren't both Shaw brothers international criminals?

I can see Part 7 dealing with Shaw wanting to take out members of Dom's team.
Old 05-27-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love having Rock as an ancillary member of Dom's team, but I think the movies can work without him. What I think is really interesting is the prospect of spinning off Hobbs into a separate franchise. Rock has essentially played the same character in GI Joe and the Fast movies, but it works, so I would be all about the Hobbs character getting his own movie. But, I think it would have been neat to have Carrano around to be a part of them, so it's a bummer to think she can't be now.
Old 05-27-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N2DVD
Saw it, loved it! BTW our title card said Furious 6, not Fast 6. Were they using different titles in different places?
Yes, that it's title in some international territories. I honestly didn't pay attention or notice the title card today, but I didn't know there would've been any US print that had that variation of the movie name attached.
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I also thought it dragged a bit in the middle, particularly during the Lefty and Dom race. And the end to the tank scene and plane take down felt a little too ridiculous this time around.
I agree, that particular scene I didn't like which is funny since essentially that's the only real "racing" part we get, and this was at one point a street racing franchise. It shows they needed to change the franchise's genre around to make it viable to audiences again.

I was pretty much rolling when I saw Dom emerge from the flames like the T-1000. I knew he wasn't going to die but doing it so dramatically was just icing on the cake since the movie itself was so incredibly over the top.
Originally Posted by DJariya
With Han being murdered by Ian Shaw (Statham) I would have to think that Hobbs will be involved in the next movie. Plus, aren't both Shaw brothers international criminals?
I must've missed that part but I don't recall Hobbs saying anything about Shaw's brother. But either way, when asked about FF7 last month, Johnson said something along the lines that if the studio did wanted to fast track it in to production this summer, then he wouldn't be able to participate because of shooting a Hercules movie.
Old 05-28-13, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Did anyone actually say they say it named Fast 6?

On another note, I watched Fast Five with my girlfriend the night before watching this, but I didn't realize they tied Fast and Furious into this as well. Although I should have guessed, given the focus on Letty. It was great to see Braga tie into this movie, and I'm somewhat impressed how they have tied the events of 6 movies together now. And if Dwayne Johnson is limited in being able to come back, then bring back Eva Mendes completely instead of just the cameo she got.
Old 05-28-13, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny that we live in a world where you can have discussions about the viewing order of the Fast movies. It isn't just for Star Wars anymore. I was listening to a discussion about the movie of /Filmcast, and one of the panel brought up that Han's aloof bored melancholy in Tokyo Drift jives really well with the events of Fast 6. Upon first viewing TD, you just think Han doesn't have something to sink his life into, but now we have a reason why he's that way. So dope.

When this comes out on DVD I plan on doing a rewatch of 1-4-5-6-3 to see how that plays going into 7. I'm not watching 2 again cause...just no.
Old 05-28-13, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

saw this movie for a 2nd time this weekend... awesome...

a complete fun movie for the summer...

Old 05-28-13, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Saw this on Sat afternoon with a packed house. We had unseasonably cold weather (low 40's) so the theater was full.

Fun movie but I wish they kept it a bit more grounded in reality (I know; this is a F&F movie...). At least they set it up from the beginning that physics wouldn't play any type of role in the film with the Rock interrogation scene. Carano's acting was clearly notches below the rest of the cast, which is saying a lot considering who the stars are. I missed the antics of Tego and Rico; I'm not sure why they weren't included.

Overall, it was a good action flick but definitely had the feel of an over-the-top sequel. Fast 5 felt like a fresh movie, even though it was the 5th in the series.
Old 05-28-13, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this the first time a 6th movie in a franchise makes the most money on the debut weekend?
Old 05-28-13, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
I missed the antics of Tego and Rico; I'm not sure why they weren't included.
Don Omar (Rico) was touring so he wasn't available. I don't know about Tego Calderón (Tego) but it could be the same reason.
Old 05-28-13, 09:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Don Omar (Rico) was touring so he wasn't available. I don't know about Tego Calderón (Tego) but it could be the same reason.
I missed them too. Hopefully they are back for the next movie,
Spoiler:
they should be since they were in Toyko Drift to avenge Han.
Old 05-28-13, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Fast and the Furious
2 Fast 2 Furious
The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
Fast & Furious
Fast 5
Furious 6

Safe to say, coming in 2014

And 7
Old 05-28-13, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Furious is a weird looking word.

I add a lot to movie discussions.
Old 05-28-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
I must've missed that part but I don't recall Hobbs saying anything about Shaw's brother. But either way, when asked about FF7 last month, Johnson said something along the lines that if the studio did wanted to fast track it in to production this summer, then he wouldn't be able to participate because of shooting a Hercules movie.
Hobbs didn't mention anything about Shaw's brother. I think he was only mentioned once by Shaw. I'm just assuming that both must be involved in the same line of work or could be that Ian Shaw is just pissed and going for straight up revenge against Dom.

It's funny how this film series didn't become serialized until part 4, which was a prequel.
Old 05-28-13, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Noonan
Saw this on Sat afternoon with a packed house. We had unseasonably cold weather (low 40's) so the theater was full.

Fun movie but I wish they kept it a bit more grounded in reality (I know; this is a F&F movie...). At least they set it up from the beginning that physics wouldn't play any type of role in the film with the Rock interrogation scene.
That is the one thing I didn't like. Rock is badass, and he doesn't need to have cartoon physics to make him more imposing. If anything that took away from the scene. I wish that scene had a bit more weight to it. Not in seriousness, but in grittiness and gravity.
Old 05-28-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by boredsilly
That is the one thing I didn't like. Rock is badass, and he doesn't need to have cartoon physics to make him more imposing. If anything that took away from the scene. I wish that scene had a bit more weight to it. Not in seriousness, but in grittiness and gravity.
I agree completely; but without that scene to set it up, the ending parts would have been that much more ridiculous. I knew exactly what to expect after seeing that guy tossed around like he was weightless.
Old 05-28-13, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, there is something to that, but none of the other stuff that might have taken you out of the movie did that for me. I was cool with everything else, ridiculous as it may have been. I just liked how the other fisticuffs were handled in the movie. I don't think any of the other fight scenes felt dumb like the Rock interrogation scene.
Old 05-28-13, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

I just got back from seeing this and it's loud, over-the-top, and the stunts defy the laws of physics and are completely ridiculous and I enjoyed every minute of it! Anyone who walks out of the theater disappointed either never saw any of the first 5 or has been under a rock for the past 12 years. It's exactly what a Fast and Furious movie is all about.

I'm not sure about the timeline of the movies but is it possible we'll get Lucas Black to appear in part 7? I really don't remember that much about Tokyo Drift but I've always liked Black as an actor.
Old 05-28-13, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I just got back from seeing this and it's loud, over-the-top, and the stunts defy the laws of physics and are completely ridiculous and I enjoyed every minute of it!

Just got back. Ridiculous fun. I just wish so much of it wasn't spoiled in the trailers. How awesome would that plane scene have been if you didn't know about it before hand?

So Fast 5, Furious 6. Cool. I think the action and racing in 6 was more fun, but the characters and humor was better in 5. Everyone had a role in 5 where as this one felt like people were forced in. Han and Gisele don't have much to do, and Tej and Roman felt underused as well.

I don't care much about the physics, but the Dom/Letty tank finale got a good laugh from the theater. As ridiculous as some of the shit they throw at us, nothing was more laughable to me than the final scene with Dom and Hobbes at Dom's house. They are both standing shoulder to shoulder facing opposite directions while carrying on a conversation. Who does that? I get what they were going for but it was shot in such a way it was just awkward and funny.

The Statham reveal was huge and went over well with the crowd. I don't think the next one needs Hobbes. It could just pit Shaw #2 vs. Dom's crew, then bring Hobbes in to clean up the mess in part 8. Also as someone mentioned above, bring back Mendes in the interim.

Lastly, I thought the series was in need of some pruning in the cast. It was just getting too bloated, but damn they got rid of two of the hottest chicks in the series. Well, two if Elena doesn't return since Hobbes won't be back.
Old 05-28-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Funny that we live in a world where you can have discussions about the viewing order of the Fast movies. It isn't just for Star Wars anymore. I was listening to a discussion about the movie of /Filmcast, and one of the panel brought up that Han's aloof bored melancholy in Tokyo Drift jives really well with the events of Fast 6. Upon first viewing TD, you just think Han doesn't have something to sink his life into, but now we have a reason why he's that way. So dope.

When this comes out on DVD I plan on doing a rewatch of 1-4-5-6-3 to see how that plays going into 7. I'm not watching 2 again cause...just no.
I just watched Tokyo Drift today for the first time in awhile, and you're right, everything Han does or says feels like it could have definitely have happened after all the shit he goes through in the previous movies. All the lines about who you ride with being what matters, as well as a throw away line about how he has money actually fit. If only everyone carrying around flip phones with grainy video recording didn't date it a bit

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.