Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Defiance

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-13, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts
Re: Defiance

Originally Posted by xmiyux
This game is intriguing me a little bit. Is there a place that streams the show? Being able to see the show might hook me into buying the game.

not sure about the show or seeing it but you can find plenty of YouTube videos showing game play, hints, tips. Might just do a search...Defiance Gameplay Video or somehing. But don't take some of he pro reviews at heart...these were done in the first week and there has been a couple of major patches and fixes that has made the game far better than what it was the day it came out.
Old 05-19-13, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

The website streamed the show eps last I checked.
Old 05-19-13, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like the ability to obtain multiple missions at a time.
Old 05-19-13, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Krayzie
I would like the ability to obtain multiple missions at a time.

Well....you don't have to worry about being restrained or regulated to a set pattern, sequence or linear gameplay with defiance. I've played all types of games before but I've never played one like this where you can basically set your own pace and do what you want to do.

Now...you do have "Main and Side Missions" that are part of the storyline. By doing them they open up others which in turn open up others as well. However you have the choice to do them as they appear or not. Sometimes they are pretty simple and others more challenging. Some involve one place and others maybe three places to go.

Besides the main & side missions there are "Hot Shot, Mayhem and Time Trial" missions. Hot Shot missions involve something like a Pistol or Sniper while Mayhem uses a Grenade Launcher or Heavy Gatling Gun in a sort of Horde Mode. Both are timed and score based on combination kills. Time Trials are time based going thru semi-cirlces in order. More like an obstacle course.

But while you have the main, side missions along with the Hot Shot, Mayhem and Time Trials you have "Contracts" you can do. Contracts are either daily and weekly and come from Five Factions of Defiance. usually killing a certain amount or enemies be it Bugs or characters but canbe gathering data as well. Doing these gets you "Reputation Points" which can be used to buy special stuff. lus it adds to your XP and builds your wepon class. The daily ones have a 24hr time window to complete and it's your choice on if yu want or not do them.

And if that's not enough you have the random stuff that pops up along the road like Rescue's where AI Allies are held hostage and you can stop and help or not. And the real gem is sometimes other players are doing these and you can jump in and help and both reap the rewards.

And finally if all that is not enough you have the random Ark Falls events...these appear on the map anytime and anywhere in a large Red Cirlce. Within these cirlces you may see 1-5 small red pillars. Each of those represents a "Crystal" which has to be taken down. But with them comes enemies be it Hellbugs, Miners, Mutants or combinations of the them.Once the crystals are taken down you fight the Mother Bug.

Here is a map of Defiance with markers...
http://www.ign.com/maps/defiance/world

A good site for Game Resources especially Contracts....
http://www.etaew.net/defiance/
Old 05-19-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maxflier
The website streamed the show eps last I checked.
Will check, I just looked at Hulu+ and the Syfy app on the Xbox and it wasn't there.

Seems like something like this targeting console players as well would be set up to stream on all those services.
Old 05-19-13, 09:48 AM

Finally came across an ark event. Did a minor one and a major one. The second major one I tried, the event glitched and nothing spawned after we destroyed one of the things.
Old 05-19-13, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Will check, I just looked at Hulu+ and the Syfy app on the Xbox and it wasn't there.

Seems like something like this targeting console players as well would be set up to stream on all those services.
The SyFy channel is replaying them on (I think) the 25th also if that helps. I still haven't watched any of the show, I was going to stream them until I saw they were being replayed so I decided to just wait until then.
Old 05-19-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Maxflier
The SyFy channel is replaying them on (I think) the 25th also if that helps. I still haven't watched any of the show, I was going to stream them until I saw they were being replayed so I decided to just wait until then.
I'm one of those cable-less folks who relies on Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu for streaming to the Xbox.
Old 05-19-13, 08:56 PM

Do you ever get to salvage mods? I want to blow them up for scraps but it doesn't seem possible?

Edit: This game needs a bank. I am a hoarder...

Last edited by Krayzie; 05-20-13 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-20-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Krayzie
Do you ever get to salvage mods? I want to blow them up for scraps but it doesn't seem possible?

Edit: This game needs a bank. I am a hoarder...

No...Mods cannot be salvaged or in your case...Blown Up

For me I'll keep and use Green and Blue Mods when possible but other than that sell them.

As to the "Bank" it would be a good idea and you're not the only "horder" out there. Everyone has that problem of keeping stuff but sometimes you've got to make a choice. Most I know keep the Shields and Grenades down to a few choices. And depending on what setups you have and what guns you're concentrating on just how many of what is up to you.

I'm at 1300 now and have (44) slots and it's hard to keep open 5-6 but when you complete missions and Ark Falls you have to keep slots open. Majority of the time I turn around and break them down for Salvage and then spend it on Keys.
Old 05-20-13, 11:35 AM
wlj

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm one of those cable-less folks who relies on Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu for streaming to the Xbox.

you sound like my family. we just use our xbox to stream netflix and hulu plus. I don't even play games on it anymore which doesn't bother me since i switched over to PC gaming.

We just don't watch alot of stuff to warrant spending alot of money on cable or Direct tv. The only thing that is painful is not having the sports stations. Also, there are other ways to watch Game of Thrones and the Walking Dead without having cable
Old 05-20-13, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by K&AJones
No...Mods cannot be salvaged or in your case...Blown Up
Ah, ok thanks. I've been hoarding mods thinking that I could eventually salvage them. I only have 26 slots right now and I always forget to go through my inventory and sell / salvage crap. I think the problem is that most of it is from quest rewards and I don't really pay attention to them until I get the inventory full message. Actual drops seem rather rare.
Old 05-20-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Like I said...I do use them and they do make a difference but it really depends on the mod and what weapon. Scopes on pistols or Assault Rifles or good but forget about it on Shotguns and yes...even Snipers (stick with what's on there).

Magazines offer good stuff for Pistols, AR, LMG and Shotguns. Any Mods for BMG and Infectors like a Barrel is worth it. In fact Barrel Mods are one of the better ones offering extra damage. If you do several of the side missions you'll get them there. Just pull aup a side and at the bottom it'll tell you the reward which usually is a Mod of some sort.
Old 05-20-13, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just picked up the game today Buzz. I may need some coop help. I'll send a game invite once I get up and running.
Old 05-22-13, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by edstein
I just picked up the game today Buzz. I may need some coop help. I'll send a game invite once I get up and running.
I think the co-op stuff doesn't open up till you're past "250 EGO" though I thought they lowered that number. When you get you to there a lot opens up.

Don't forget about signing up at the offical Defiance and linking your console. Also spend time entering the codes....

https://www.defiance.com/en/

http://www.ign.com/wikis/defiance/Ar...bjectid=110771

The "codes" do help and will get you some stuff off the bat. Drive around and explore some of the areas. See others doing stuff like side-of-the-road combat jump in. All you have to do is hit a few targets and you'll get equal credit in XP which is what you want.

Check your map often for any Ark Falls and get in. The two thing you want to do is hit the "Crystal" as much as possible. It'll add damage to whatever weapon you are using more than shooting bugs . Second use a "BMG" whenever possible after landing one. What you what to do is "Heal & Damage" with it....heal players around you and damge everything else. After the final event you're assured (5) Keys and 7000XP by using the BMG in this manner. It's also great against the Hellbugs.

I probably use this site for about everything...recorder locations, maps, mainand side missions, coop and of course contracts. Probably the best out there....

http://www.etaew.net/defiance/
Old 05-22-13, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wow, that install time/patching took forever. Literally took an hour for both to finish.

I think I'm up to 125 EGO right now. I did a couple of Ark Falls. I have mainly been doing the main story line missions but I have done a few side missions.

I'm not sure how to mod weapons yet. I picked up a sniper mod and have a sniper weapon but I can't figure out how the attachment scheme works.

I did spend the time to link my console and enter all 120 codes. That was a pain but at least the codes are only 6 characters. I don't think I'll be spending any real money on the extra upgrades.
Old 05-22-13, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by edstein
Wow, that install time/patching took forever. Literally took an hour for both to finish.

I think I'm up to 125 EGO right now. I did a couple of Ark Falls. I have mainly been doing the main story line missions but I have done a few side missions.

I'm not sure how to mod weapons yet. I picked up a sniper mod and have a sniper weapon but I can't figure out how the attachment scheme works.

I did spend the time to link my console and enter all 120 codes. That was a pain but at least the codes are only 6 characters. I don't think I'll be spending any real money on the extra upgrades.
You have to have a certain ego level before you can do mods. I've been doing all the side missions and it's getting a bit tedious.

Do the side missions stay there forever? I think I am just going to fast forward the game and do all main missions...
Old 05-22-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

On the side missions they can be done or not be done but...if you're completing Pursuits (Goals) then you'll need to do some if not most of them. When you do a main mission it will unlock some side missions. And sometime when you do a side another side will open up that's hidden and part of your pursuits in Goals.

Doing the side missions is usually quick and easy and you normally get 1000 or 2000 XP. Just highlight the mission, hit (A) and it'll tell you about the mission, the rewards, etc...When you see a mission where the reward is 3500 XP...expect a tough fight but you normally get something extra. Time Trials and Hot Shot missions can be challenging especially the Hot hot and Mayhem misions. There are usually some trick to getting a Gold or Silver in them which you need in doing the Pursuits.

I seldom use or keep any "White"mods or weapons and even green is broken down. Just try to use the same "Synergy" weapons in your loadout. Pay attention to to the (2) under the weapon details. That (2) means when two of the dame Synergy weapons are in the same poadout, that's what the weapon will do.
Old 05-22-13, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am still enjoying the hell out of this one. It is a crazy addictive game, I have to force myself to stop playing most of the time. And I have barely touched the storyline missions. Even when I want to do one of those I end up seeing one of those red circles and all bets are off.
It's funny because I get so attached to whatever gun I am using and don't want to have to change but when I do I always get even more attached to the new gun.
Old 05-23-13, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Same with me. I actually forced myself to take a break away from the game for two nights because I was staying up too late. i played last night what seemed like "2 hrs" to me but was actually four hours. And last night I'm not sure if it just happened by luck but it seemed one Ark Falls was happening after one finished one after another. I started the night with "12 Keys" and quit with "64" in hand. Of course five of those came with doing the daily co-op contract.

Just heads up for today/tonight...there is a pretty good size patch being implemented Patch 1.020 and they're saying about four hours downtown (not sure of hours). You can read the details here...

http://forums.defiance.com/showthrea...Stay-on-Target)

I did read it and not happy...they're reducing some damage and fire rate of Lobbers but mainly Auto-Shotguns. And they reduced the "Fortitude Perk"...225 Health which I use in every load out.
Old 05-23-13, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

I don't want to hear about slow patch times. Try doing it on a 3.0 connection. Been sitting here for two hours now.
Old 05-23-13, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Stupid servers have been down all day.
Old 05-23-13, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got lucky and got the patch but that's been it....I'm getting timed out trying to get in.....

Update 1.020: May 23rd 7:00AM PT - NA & EU PC, PS3 & Xbox 360

We will be applying our second major Client and Server side patch (1.020) to our NA & EU PC, Xbox 360 & PS3 servers. We expect 4 hours of downtime.

Server Update:
Date: May 23rd, 2013
Time: 7:00AM PT
Duration: 4 hours

Patch Notes:
Applying Patch 1.020 - http://forums.defiance.com/showthrea...Stay-on-Target)
Old 05-23-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I skipped playing tonight and got caught up on the last two TV episodes. What's up with the two week break already?
Old 05-24-13, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

More fucking patches. Jesus.

The only defiance I've seen is the defiance of me playing the game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.