Community
Search
Streaming Talk The Place to talk about streaming video and audio

The Roku Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-13, 05:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Roku Thread

I'm still having problems with netflix streaming via Roku.
After having to reset the Roku last night and going through the whole thing with signing in again, now netflix is constantly reloading a show tonight.
Old 01-02-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

From anecdotal experience, it seems like a lot of the streaming services are having problems with the rush of new streaming users, after Christmas gifts were opened. I've seen lots of complaints from a variety of different streaming services on ROKU devices and the PS3.
Old 01-08-13, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

New Roku XS owner Got it because of the subtitles and long trainer rides (using an outside bike inside with a device called a trainer that raises the back wheel and has a resistance unit). Four hour ride this weekend!!
Old 01-09-13, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 575 Likes on 416 Posts

I just bought a roku (still in the mail) so I'll be looking at this thread. I saw the link for new users up above. Any other links or advice for a complete newb (and a fairly tech unsavvy newb at that)? I see Plex mentioned a lot, what is that? I also see stuff about using other devices (ie not the remote) to operate the box; should I download a roku app for my phone?
Old 01-09-13, 01:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the roku app on my Iphone. I use it exclusively as my remote. Plex is basically a program that you load on your pc and it acts as a media server and you can access your stored media from your roku box on your home network and also on your smartphone through the internet using the plex paid app. I have all my disk media ripped to a HTPC in my media room and was trying to figure out a way to stream it to other tv;s in the house. I was using my laptop but wanted a more permanent solution. When I saw the Roku on sale for 40 bucks for christmas, I bought two. So far I haven't encountered as many problems as some on the forum but I had some problems initially that were due more to my network than the roku itself.

Here's a link to the plex app website.

http://www.plexapp.com/

Using the Plex app I was able to get youtube and geek and sundry video podcasts on the Roku. Not to mention the Roku offers tons of apps that are free that stream anime, movies and tv shows. Not to mention it has HBO go and Netflix. I have to say that I watch the roku more than I do regular cable.
Old 01-09-13, 02:35 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
Any other links or advice for a complete newb (and a fairly tech unsavvy newb at that)?
Here's a couple links I've got bookmarked:

Official Roku Blog - Good site for Roku news and tips
Official Roku Forum - Good site for questions, tech support and tips
Roku Guide - Info on official Roku channels
mkvXstream Roku Channels list - Huge list of private channels
Nowhere Man - Some good private channels
Roku Adult Channels - Private channel pron stuff

If you like anime, definitely check out these sites:

Crunchyroll - Free & Premium service. Lots of shows currently airing in Japan. Subtitles only, no dubs.
Funimation - Premium service. Huge library of popular titles. Many have English dubs.
Old 01-09-13, 03:06 PM

Roku announced a bunch of new channels at CES, including Blockbuster On Demand, Fox Now, PBS and Time Warner Cable.

Roku has no new hardware here at CES 2013, but that's not stopping the company from building on its success: content, content, content. The company just crossed the 700-channel benchmark for its line of smart TV boxes, and it's got even more new services on deck for 2013.

Among the new channels that Roku is planning to add (in the territories indicated) in the first quarter of 2013:

TWC TV: This app adds upwards of 300 live streaming TV channels for existing Time Warner Cable subscribers at no additional charge. (U.S. only)

Fox Now: This is Fox's answer to Hulu -- full episodes of many Fox network TV shows. Sorry, cable cutters -- this is only available to customers who subscribe to a "participating TV provider." (U.S. only)

PBS: According to Roku, this new channel will include "hundreds of full-length videos from local PBS stations, including episodes from new programs as well as the PBS archives, with new national and local content updated daily." (U.S. only)

PBS Kids: The kid-friendly version of the above, with "more than 1,000 videos" including content such as Curious George and Sesame Street. (U.S. only)

Blockbuster On Demand: Dish's pay-per-view movie service -- yet another alternative to Amazon, Vudu, and the like. (U.S. only)

Dailymotion: The YouTube competitor comes to Roku. (U.S., Canada, U.K., Ireland)

iHeartRadio: The ClearChannel audio service will add to Roku's now-comprehensive audio roster. (U.S. only)

Flingo: Roku says: "More than 70 new channels, including brands like TMZ, A&E, History Channel, Lifetime, Transworld, Warren Miller, Fitness Magazine, and CollegeHumor. Select channels are available now. New channels will launch every month." But it's unclear exactly what content will be available, and how Flingo plays a role.

Still notably, frustratingly, curiously absent: YouTube.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-34444_1-575...y-tv-partners/
Old 01-09-13, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Here's a couple links I've got bookmarked:

Official Roku Blog - Good site for Roku news and tips
Official Roku Forum - Good site for questions, tech support and tips
Roku Guide - Info on official Roku channels
mkvXstream Roku Channels list - Huge list of private channels
Nowhere Man - Some good private channels
Roku Adult Channels - Private channel pron stuff

If you like anime, definitely check out these sites:

Crunchyroll - Free & Premium service. Lots of shows currently airing in Japan. Subtitles only, no dubs.
Funimation - Premium service. Huge library of popular titles. Many have English dubs.
Thanks!
Old 01-14-13, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Ok, this is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Got the XS solely because of Netflix subtitles. Got my Amazon music and Prime membership hooked up, Netflix. The best part is that I can grab my Sufferfest trainer bike videos and put them on the USB and they play easily. It it just awesome, that's my favorite part. So now I can keep buying training videos and just put them in the card. Also got Facebook hooked up. They need to add the abily to read Amazon books and web browsing
Old 01-14-13, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm extremely happy with the purchase. Using the USB reader to play files is a breeze. I wish they offered support for .avi so I could avoid converting them, but that's really a minor qualm.
Old 01-21-13, 02:18 AM

Here's some details on the upcoming PBS channel:

PBS is jumping into the “over-the-top” video-streaming space with a pair of deals to distribute public TV programs through apps on Roku boxes and Xbox Live.

The contracts, unveiled last week by PBS Digital chief Jason Seiken, lay the groundwork for apps that will feature local station programming and a limited selection of national content. OTT boxes are devices that stream content from the Internet directly onto television screens. For both the Roku and Xbox apps, users will select a local station, and the graphic interfaces will be cobranded with PBS and local station logos.

Unlike content deals with subscription-based services such as Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime that generate licensing revenues for PBS, the Xbox and Roku apps will be free to users of either platform. Local stations will benefit because their original content will become available to more viewers via the new platforms, hopefully building their viewership and financial support.

In a first for PBS, users will be required to register for each service using their email address and to designate their local station. PBS will share the email addresses with stations through its Prosper online-fundraising initiative.

Both deals will draw from the local station videos that also appear on COVE, PBS’s local-national video platform. The selection of national programs will be offered for a shorter window of time than on COVE.

The Roku app is expected to launch in February or March, and Xbox will release its app by May.

FULL ARTICLE - http://www.current.org/2013/01/roku-...p-pubtv-shows/

Screenshot of the Xbox Live app
Old 01-22-13, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have bought any music (CDs or .mp3s) from Amazon in the past 15 years, add the Amazon Cloud Player. They automatically add the digital version of any physical CDs you bought.
Old 01-22-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool, psyched about the PBS channel.

NHL Gamecenter for Roku is $49.95 for this lockout-shortened regular season and playoffs. After ditching cable (except local channels) a couple years ago, sports was the main reason I bought the Roku. Gamecenter on the Roku rocks---all the hockey I want in HD for the whole season. Between that and the Major League Soccer package, I'll spend about $100 this year for every game of the whole season and playoffs of both leagues, about the price I was paying every month for cable. Yes, with the blackout restrictions you don't get every single game live, but you get most of them. Lovin' my Roku.
Old 01-25-13, 04:26 AM

I haven't heard of this service before. It streams local broadcast channels to your Roku. And also has a cloud-DVR for recording shows. Looks like it's currently limited to New York City, but they're expanding to more locations later this year.

Updated Aereo app adds improved live TV streaming to Roku

Aereo -- the Barry Diller-backed online video startup that streams local TV channels to multiple devices for a monthly fee -- had previously been available on Roku boxes, but it required an iPhone or iPad to use as a remote. But the updated app, which went live on Roku earlier this week, allows viewers to use an onscreen navigation with the standard Roku clicker.

That means Aereo subscribers with a Roku box can use it to access several live local over-the-air channels, as well as Aereo's cloud-based DVR (which allows 20 to 40 hours of recorded programming), for $8 per month. There are other payment options as well, including daily and yearly rates.

Currently, Aereo -- which pulls in local broadcasts from an array of tiny over-the-air antennas, and then streams those channels to its subscribers -- is only available in the New York City area. But the company has announced plans to expand to 22 additional cities in the U.S. later this year.

Aereo has also added its first cable channel to the lineup in the form of Bloomberg TV, the 24-hour financial news network. (Bloomberg is already available for free on the Web and via standalone apps.)

Aereo has raised the hackles of the broadcast networks -- ABC, NBC, Fox, and CBS are all suing the startup -- because it streams their signals without permission. Aereo also doesn't pay the per-subscriber retransmission fees that mainstream cable and satellite providers do. Those fees are increasingly important to the broadcasters' profit margins.

Improvements such as the more robust Roku app and the service's expanded geographic footprint put Aereo squarely on the bleeding edge of the growing array of cable TV alternatives. Aereo's twist -- actual live TV -- offers a unique delineation from on-demand services like Netflix and Hulu. Aereo also bests other entrants in the over-the-air TV DVR space, such as Boxee TV and Simple.TV, by getting rid of the need to install an antenna. That's a huge hurdle for many would-be cable-cutters who either don't want to deal with the installation hassle, an unsightly antenna, or spotty reception.

FULL ARTICLE - http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575...aming-to-roku/
Old 01-27-13, 11:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, I've read about Aereo and am pretty excited by it. Of course all the major networks are suing them, saying that they have to pay a fee like the cable companies do to rebroadcast the telecasts but apparently Aereo gets around that by stating that each individual subscriber "owns" their own antennae and that aerwo isn't a cable company. From what I heard, they won the first round of legal battles. The only worry I have is that with all these services, Roku, Netflix, Aereo, etc., requiring bandwith, how long before the ISP's start charging an arm and a leg for access once they see everyone jumping ship to get everything on the internet?
Old 01-31-13, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do i get the roku app to work with my roku? i have it wired and for some reason, it doesnt find the roku player.
Old 02-02-13, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm...I never paid attention to Amazon Cloud Player on Amazon's site, because I had a bad experience trying to sync my Amazon music purchases to it, and just gave up on it. Got an email from Amazon today that they automatically put all my Amazon music purchases into the Cloud Player. So, I installed the Roku app for that, synced it up, and it works fine and my music is there. Pretty cool. With the exception of the fact that it also included some cds that I had purchased as gifts, and wouldn't be caught dead listening to myself. (easy to delete, though)
Old 02-04-13, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, do you have to have Hulu Plus to play anything from Hulu, even stuff that is available free on Hulu? I don't see "Hulu" as a channel option on the Roku, just Hulu Plus.
Old 02-04-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
So, do you have to have Hulu Plus to play anything from Hulu, even stuff that is available free on Hulu? I don't see "Hulu" as a channel option on the Roku, just Hulu Plus.
The most common way to get "free" Hulu is to go through the PlayOn channel, which also isn't free (but much cheaper than $8/month for Hulu+) and requires a Windows PC. Commercial-free access to the Criterion Collection through Hulu+ is worth the monthly fee to me, however; I don't even use it for its TV content, although my wife does.
Old 02-05-13, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by printerati
The most common way to get "free" Hulu is to go through the PlayOn channel, which also isn't free (but much cheaper than $8/month for Hulu+) and requires a Windows PC. Commercial-free access to the Criterion Collection through Hulu+ is worth the monthly fee to me, however; I don't even use it for its TV content, although my wife does.
You can also get Hulu through Plex which is similar to PlayOn, but is free and very easy to use.
Old 02-06-13, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

cool, thanks. Have heard about Plex but forgot about it. Will have to try that.
Old 02-08-13, 08:06 AM

Maybe a new model coming soon?

Roku 4200X appears in FCC filing, shows off smaller footprint

The last time Roku properly refreshed its line of media streamers was back in 2011 with the Roku 2 series but we're apparently in for at least one new addition, if not a whole new line. This 4200X (the current players are in the 2000/3000 series) just popped up in the FCC's database, although most of the juicy information was withheld. Still, as seen above, its measurements indicate a box that's just 2.25-inches on each side, smaller than the current top of the line Roku 2 XS which is 3.3-inches long on each side. Other than WiFi with 2 and 5GHz bands we didn't uncover much else, although we wonder what the company may add in a new model.

One possibility is the (official) YouTube channel we've been waiting for since 2011, which CEO Anthony Wood recently told analyst Michael Wolf "isn't far away", but would require new hardware. Otherwise, the current boxes have 1080p output, more than 700 channels, and a Bluetooth gaming remote on the high-end units. Previous FCC leaks of the 2 and refreshed HD saw official launches within weeks, so we should know more about this new version pretty soon.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/08/roku-4200x-fcc/
Old 03-01-13, 11:14 PM

Here's some more rumors on the upcoming Roku 3:

The Roku 3 Remote… Sports A Headphone Jack!?

Sadly, I’ve got no imagery to share (at this time). But we believe our intel to be rock solid… and have learned the incoming Roku 3 remote control includes a headphone jack that “makes it easy for anyone to enjoy a private listening experience.” While I contemplate if that innovative feature is actually useful, let me also share that the RF remote retains motion control capabilities for a Wii-esque experience. For use with the pre-loaded Angry Birds Space… and whatever else suits your fancy from the Channel Store. Speaking of which, we do have confirmation that the UI has been refreshed – featuring new Search functionality front and center. On the hardware front, the Roku 3 sports 1080p and dual-band wireless, in addition to ethernet support. And hopefully this “fast” and “powerful” new hardware provides additional capabilities such as Miracast and additional codec support for that USB port. Stay tuned…

http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-03/...eadphone-jack/
Old 03-05-13, 08:53 PM

Roku 3 was just officially announced!

Introducing Roku 3

It’s a great day for TV lovers. Today, we’re excited to introduce the new, fully loaded Roku 3 – our fastest, most powerful streaming player to-date. From an intuitive new interface to a revolutionary remote with built-in headphone jack for private listening, the all-new Roku 3 was designed with you in mind.

Clocking in at over five times faster than our previous players, the Roku 3 will get you to your favorite movies and TV shows in a flash. Even better, the Enhanced Remote with an integrated headphone jack makes it easy to enjoy TV time anytime. Just plug in the included in-ear headphones and Roku instantly switches audio to the headphones while muting your TV speakers. It’s that simple. Now you can turn up those late-night Breaking Bad marathons without waking the whole family!

In the spirit of simplicity, the new Roku interface features a streamlined layout to provide quicker access and greater visibility – especially if you have many channels installed. The Roku Channel Store and Search are now fully integrated into the home screen, and both have been redesigned with our new on-screen experience. Over 750+ channels are available on Roku, and you’ll find that perfect movie or show effortlessly in our updated Roku Channel Store.

The new interface debuts on the Roku 3 and will automatically roll out as a free software update in April to all Roku 2 models, Roku HD (model 2500), Roku LT and the Roku Streaming Stick.

The Roku 3 is available now for $99.99 in the U.S. through Roku.com, Amazon.com and several other leading online retailers. It will be available at major retail chains beginning in April.

FULL ARTICLE - http://blog.roku.com/blog/2013/03/05...-roku-3-video/
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q-8___cT5xI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-05-13, 09:09 PM

Here's some more details:

Instruction Manual: http://wwwimg.roku.com/Roku3-QSG.pdf

Pics:
Spoiler:

Tech Specs:
Spoiler:

Included In The Box:
Spoiler:

Model Comparison:
Spoiler:

Perhaps the most interesting feature is the missing analog port. The 2XS had an AV port and came with red/white/yellow cables. This new model is HDMI-only.

Last edited by TheBigDave; 03-05-13 at 09:16 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.