Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Amazon sales tax discussion

Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Amazon sales tax discussion

Old 09-15-12, 11:29 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Amazon sales tax discussion

Originally Posted by Trevor
Curious at all the complaining. Legally, we've always been supposed to pay it even if Amazon doesn't collect it. Tax never plays a factor in my buying decisions.
You just said it. WE ARE. Legally, Amazon is not supposed to do that for us.

I just canceled around $1k of pre-orders with them. 5% discount at Target makes them now cheaper.

This move won't help retailers much, nor will it save jobs. IF Amazon is still cheaper, that's where I will go. B&M can't compete.
Old 09-15-12, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Amazon Blu-ray Discounts and Deals Thread #27

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
Arizona is now charging sales tax as well. No mention anywhere. Order I made today just showed it out of the blue.

So annoyed.
Whaaa????

You sure about this? I just put a bunch of different items in my cart and tried to check out. While there was a spot that said "estimated tax to be collected" it was zero all the way through the process. I tried to pay different methods and it made no difference. These were all items sold by and shipped by Amazon.

Last edited by Deftones; 09-15-12 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-15-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
i canceled some orders.

Illegally charging sales tax is BS. I'll just buy them from Target now with my 5% RedCard discount.
Not saying to keep your orders if you can get stuff cheaper elsewhere...heck, I buy elsewhere if I can get something cheaper, but this is not amazon's fault.

Of course, what they're doing isn't illegal; they are simply complying with recently passed laws that require them to collect these taxes.

Let's face it. The states are seeing a big revenue stream slipping by because presumably many customers don't bother to pay the taxes, so this is how they are making sure the money is captured: by passing laws that require the money to be collected up front.

Amazon has spent money opposing passage of these laws, because they are well aware it may hurt their business when people know they will be immediately charged tax on purchases they make there.

Now whether these laws are right, justifiable, etc. is another kettle of fish. But the laws are now on the books so legally, they are supposed to comply or risk violation.
Old 09-15-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deftones
Whaaa????

You sure about this? I just put a bunch of different items in my cart and tried to check out. While there was a spot that said "estimated tax to be collected" it was zero all the way through the process. I tried to pay different methods and it made no difference. These were all items sold by and shipped by Amazon.
Yeah, I might be mistaken. Do they still charge for tax if you're buying from Marketplace and its still fulfilled by Amazon? If so, that would be why I got the tax thing. But I don't remember ever getting taxed before on Marketplace either.
Old 09-15-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I might be mistaken. Do they still charge for tax if you're buying from Marketplace and its still fulfilled by Amazon? If so, that would be why I got the tax thing. But I don't remember ever getting taxed before on Marketplace either.
I have a lot of orders like this...my most recent one was a week and a half ago. They did NOT collect tax on the "fulfilled by amazon" marketplace item that they themselves shipped.

I've never had tax collected on items bought from third parties directly, just the $2.98 shipping fee per item.
Old 09-15-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyOhhhh
Amazon is looking to cut down on delivery times to compensate for the tax issue, as well as expand their sales to further compete with B&Ms. I'm in NY and have dealt with tax for a while, and I still prefer amazon over going to stores.
I would rather they put more effort into packaging things better so they don't get damaged in transit. A flimsy box with two little air pillows doesn't cut it.
Old 09-15-12, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For those who may not know, Amazon cut a deal in CA to pocket most of the tax they are now charging. Because the community of San Bernardino was so grateful to have a distribution center they are letting Amazon keep much of the tax collected. So for creating something like a thousand jobs in San Bernardino Amazon will get to collect most of the tax profit they generate, money that ostensibly was supposed to help the state. It's quite the sweetheart deal and why Amazon stopped all efforts opposing the CA tax.

My purchases will be curtailed as a result and good riddance.
Old 09-16-12, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
I have a lot of orders like this...my most recent one was a week and a half ago. They did NOT collect tax on the "fulfilled by amazon" marketplace item that they themselves shipped.

I've never had tax collected on items bought from third parties directly, just the $2.98 shipping fee per item.
Hmmmm. Theory #2:

What if the place you're buying the item from happens to be one of the states that already taxes?
Old 09-16-12, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 895 Likes on 720 Posts

Just awful. If what ProfessorEcho says is true (source?), then paying an extra 9.75% to further line Amazon's pockets is out of the question. Will not be ordering from Amazon in future except in cases where there is absolutely no substitute available. No way Amazon can compete now with my other options.
Old 09-16-12, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle
Just awful. If what ProfessorEcho says is true (source?), then paying an extra 9.75% to further line Amazon's pockets is out of the question. Will not be ordering from Amazon in future except in cases where there is absolutely no substitute available. No way Amazon can compete now with my other options.
The LA Times says it's true.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may...taxes-20120520

Pretty shitty of Amazon to parlay the desperation of two desperately poor communities to get a sizable piece of the new taxes. Sigh.
Old 09-16-12, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
The LA Times says it's true.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/may...taxes-20120520

Pretty shitty of Amazon to parlay the desperation of two desperately poor communities to get a sizable piece of the new taxes. Sigh.
I agree. Pretty lame.

EDIT: Does anyone know if amazon receives these "tax rebates" in any other state where they have a physical presence, or is CA the first?

Last edited by Superdaddy; 09-16-12 at 06:39 AM.
Old 09-16-12, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hmmmm. Theory #2:

What if the place you're buying the item from happens to be one of the states that already taxes?
Interesting question. I'm not sure if I've ever ordered something fulfilled by amazon from a seller here in NY (where our sales taxes are automatically collected).

I have (rarely) ordered from marketplace sellers based in NY directly, and am quite sure that the tax was not automatically applied, just the shipping fee. I'll try to double-check my order history make sure.
Old 09-16-12, 09:38 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Superdaddy
I agree. Pretty lame.

EDIT: Does anyone know if amazon receives these "tax rebates" in any other state where they have a physical presence, or is CA the first?
Didn't they do something similar in Texas?
Old 09-16-12, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Trevor
Curious at all the complaining. Legally, we've always been supposed to pay it even if Amazon doesn't collect it. Tax never plays a factor in my buying decisions.
Yes, and I pay it here, although it is just my state 2.9%. I paid $65 in use tax for last year and it isn't a big deal. Those complaining about not being able to illegally dodge sales/use taxes anymore in some states that have them, don't have my sympathy. If you really hate sales taxes so much just move to Oregon.

The problem with sales tax collections by online retailers is that it is difficult to pin down the sales tax rate in many places because they vary by area. I get charged the wrong sales tax rate by Netflix because they do it by zip code. The post office serving my rural address has no bearing whatsoever on the sales tax rate where I live. It would be helpful if on-line retailers could charge just one statewide rate and the state could distribute it proportionately to the local entities.

The news about Amazon getting a rebate of part of the sales tax collections in California for the first year is something of a red herring. Communities often use incentives to attract businesses, usually by forgiving part of the property taxes or service fees for a limited time. The idea is to attract a company to boost employment, which, in turn, will boost revenue from the multiplier effect. Whether or not that makes sense from a policy point of view has nothing to do with the source of the incentives.
Old 09-17-12, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

I've stopped ordering from amazon because of their tax (and adding shipping, which they tax as well, amazon ends up costing me more than most other B&M stores). So I wonder how this has hit amazon's bottom line so far?
Old 09-17-12, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not their fault, they are forced by the states. They know they're losing revenue. I usually so Best Buy unless I have something lese I need from Amazon, then I'll throw a disc or two on the order
Old 09-18-12, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

And I'll still support Amazon over Worst Buy. Amazon provides more services that the added sales tax, which you should still be paying anyway, is no big thing.
Old 09-18-12, 09:41 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by JimRochester
It's not their fault, they are forced by the states. They know they're losing revenue. I usually so Best Buy unless I have something lese I need from Amazon, then I'll throw a disc or two on the order
They are not forced.

They could have fought it, but instead San Bern pretty much told them they could keep the taxes.
Old 09-18-12, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Amazon fought it before in California and it caused a mess with other sellers on Amazon, didn't it?

In the end I don't see a big deal, but it will certainly dissuade me from buying some things.
Old 09-18-12, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by ProfessorEcho
For those who may not know, Amazon cut a deal in CA to pocket most of the tax they are now charging. Because the community of San Bernardino was so grateful to have a distribution center they are letting Amazon keep much of the tax collected. So for creating something like a thousand jobs in San Bernardino Amazon will get to collect most of the tax profit they generate, money that ostensibly was supposed to help the state. It's quite the sweetheart deal and why Amazon stopped all efforts opposing the CA tax.

My purchases will be curtailed as a result and good riddance.
Note that they are not getting the full amount. The jurisdiction gets 10% of the tax money, the rest goes to the state and county. That 10% (or most of it) is going back to amazon. I'm sure all things being equal they would rather have more sales without collecting tax, but add in the lawsuits and they'll take the deal.

You really think the state would give up tax money like that?
Old 09-19-12, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by zoran009
Tax for ca, I am out
And where will you be shopping at then that doesn't charge sales tax?
Old 09-19-12, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Note that they are not getting the full amount. The jurisdiction gets 10% of the tax money, the rest goes to the state and county. That 10% (or most of it) is going back to amazon. I'm sure all things being equal they would rather have more sales without collecting tax, but add in the lawsuits and they'll take the deal.

You really think the state would give up tax money like that?
To make the claim that they are creating jobs, yes. That will get people re-elected, not that they are collecting more taxes. It's all part of the show, folks.
Old 09-20-12, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
And where will you be shopping at then that doesn't charge sales tax?
Somewhere that doesn't ALSO charge for shipping.
Old 09-20-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I knew the sales tax was coming, and it sucks, but what sucks even more is that I pre-ordered items before it kicked in and, while I realize they don't charge until an items ships, orders made before it went into effect should be exempt.
Old 09-20-12, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by jwstl
That's right. Amazon doesn't need to "lead". They are the "big dog" and it's up to the little ones to fight to take away their power. Best Buy seems to be leading in new release pricing these days and it's all in an attempt to take away business from Amazon. And Amazon matches once they find out what BB prices will be. It's also why I've been buying more from Best Buy. I like what they've been doing and without them Amazon prices would be higher. Competition is good and I'm doing my part to make sure Amazon has some.
The main reason Amazon is currently the "big dog" is because of their history of a lack of tax. All they do lately is match other retailers which would automatically illicit sales since the added savings in paying no sales tax. Now, with sales tax thrown in, there's less reason to order from them.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.