Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "The Ghost of Harrenhal" -- 4/29/12

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "The Ghost of Harrenhal" -- 4/29/12

Also, what happened to Ned Stark's remains after Catelyn fled with Brienne?
Old 04-30-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Presumably left there. In the books the bones made it to Cat in a different place and she sent them back to Winterfell.
Old 04-30-12, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dhmac
For someone who talks a lot about honor being important, the way Stannis sneakily killed Renly had ZERO honor.
Do you think Stanis was directly involved in that? He just had sex with a hot redhead.
Old 04-30-12, 10:35 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Well, I'm daft. I've only just realized that Alfie Allen (Theon) is also this guy:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-RgOm_WJKpE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Guess, playing a bloke who is embarrassed by his overachieving sister isn't too much of a stretch.
Old 04-30-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Was the complaining guy with the night's watch Dolorous Edd? I think that's the first time we've seen him.
Old 04-30-12, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Was the complaining guy with the night's watch Dolorous Edd? I think that's the first time we've seen him.
That was Dolorous Edd, but it wasn't his first appearance. Looks a bit too much like Bronn.
Old 04-30-12, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Guess, playing a bloke who is embarrassed by his overachieving sister isn't too much of a stretch.
I doubt he finger-blasted Lily, though.
Old 04-30-12, 11:13 PM

I hope not.
Old 05-01-12, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why did Arya pick the torturer to die? Presumably Gregor is still in Harrenhal, would he have been a more logical choice?
Old 05-01-12, 03:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Why did Arya pick the torturer to die? Presumably Gregor is still in Harrenhal, would he have been a more logical choice?
For me, the producers' handling of The Tickler was very disappointing. When they announced the casting of the part, I assumed that he would be given the vivid role that he had in the books. I had envisioned more of a Donald Pleasance sort of sociopath whose demeanor made it obvious how much he enjoyed his "work". Instead, we got a bored man eating a pear. Maybe it was the producers' way of showing how mundane the work of torturing people was to Ser Gregor's men, but I still found it disappointing.

An even bigger letdown was his demise. Without giving anything away from the books, I'll just say that his time in the books carried much more impact (the dread he inspired gave him a status that was almost mythological in a notorious way) & that he did reappear later in the book series in one of the most satisfying & dramatic scenes written by GRRM thus far. In fact, it was nearly a perfect scene & one that highly influenced other major characters & revealed quite a bit about their personalities and relationships. Hopefully, they'll manage to retain the impact of the scene by replacing The Tickler with a similar character, but it's still disappointing & a missed opportunity IMHO, although I trust the creators of the series to make up for it and not dilute that much-anticipated scene.

Also, even though we don't know (yet) whom Arya will choose next, I really liked the choices she made in the book along with her reasons. Her choices not only displayed her sense of justice but also her impulsiveness & immaturity... harking back to her indignant retorts in Season One whenever someone mistook her for a boy (or a peasant). The books made it apparent that, for all of her exposure to the violence & cruelty of the adult world, she is still very much an adolescent and behaves as such (her favorite word in the books seemed to be "stupid"). It's nice to see strong-willed Arya filled with a cold-blooded desire for vengeance, but it would also be nice to see some more of the naivety she displayed in Season One. That's what makes her such a great character, and I hope they don't try to transform her into Lady Vengeance and forget that she's still a young girl who often behaves that way.
Old 05-01-12, 03:41 AM
Banned

Really like the handling of Brienne so far. The mutual oath-swearing between her & Cat was extremely moving.

The books made it very clear that Brienne was in love with Renly. I wasn't sure if that was made apparent before Renly's death scene, but my wife assured me that it came through (she hasn't read beyond Book One).

Very nice handling of Brienne's battle skills in the tent as she cut down the guards with ease.
Old 05-01-12, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Three comments on this episode:
1. Dany looked ridiculously good in that blue dress.
2. Deciding to bite the bullet and pay to ship production to Iceland = . Those backdrops looked absolutely incredible, you can't fake that with CGI.
3. Maisie Williams just out-acted Charles Dance. This is her first role.
Old 05-01-12, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

As far as Arya's choice...yeah Gregor is around, but she's not in the lofty heights of some castle planning major battles. She's on the ground, and is our eyes into the effect this war is having on common people.

And also, she was testing to see if JH can really do what he says, or is full of shit.

And I actually liked their depiction of how mundane and useless torture is. Torture has been made way to cool and interesting on TV and movies. GOT gave us a more realistic depiction of torturers.
Old 05-01-12, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by NORML54601
Don't forget that Arya is just a child and isn't always swayed by logic.
Old 05-01-12, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dhmac
Davos was going on about the scary sorcery of Melisandre, but Stannis' unwillingness to talk about it at all does indicate that he know it goes against his personal "code" yet he'll still do anything to get the iron throne.
Didn't Stannis say he was NOT going to bring the red woman to Kings Landing?
Old 05-01-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by KirstenS
Don't forget that Arya is just a child and isn't always swayed by logic.
And she was not sure if she could trust Jaqen H'ghar at that point.
Old 05-01-12, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by starman9000
Who was the actor that was helping Theon? Kicking myself for not being able to place him.

Edit...It's Finchy from the office!
Originally Posted by andicus
Finchy! As soon as I heard the voice I knew it was him.

I actually wondered, earlier in the season, if he would end up on this show. I don't know why.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/59UlFs3QO84" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-01-12, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by creekdipper
For me, the producers' handling of The Tickler was very disappointing. When they announced the casting of the part, I assumed that he would be given the vivid role that he had in the books. I had envisioned more of a Donald Pleasance sort of sociopath whose demeanor made it obvious how much he enjoyed his "work". Instead, we got a bored man eating a pear. Maybe it was the producers' way of showing how mundane the work of torturing people was to Ser Gregor's men, but I still found it disappointing.

An even bigger letdown was his demise. Without giving anything away from the books, I'll just say that his time in the books carried much more impact (the dread he inspired gave him a status that was almost mythological in a notorious way) & that he did reappear later in the book series in one of the most satisfying & dramatic scenes written by GRRM thus far. In fact, it was nearly a perfect scene & one that highly influenced other major characters & revealed quite a bit about their personalities and relationships. Hopefully, they'll manage to retain the impact of the scene by replacing The Tickler with a similar character, but it's still disappointing & a missed opportunity IMHO, although I trust the creators of the series to make up for it and not dilute that much-anticipated scene.

Also, even though we don't know (yet) whom Arya will choose next, I really liked the choices she made in the book along with her reasons. Her choices not only displayed her sense of justice but also her impulsiveness & immaturity... harking back to her indignant retorts in Season One whenever someone mistook her for a boy (or a peasant). The books made it apparent that, for all of her exposure to the violence & cruelty of the adult world, she is still very much an adolescent and behaves as such (her favorite word in the books seemed to be "stupid"). It's nice to see strong-willed Arya filled with a cold-blooded desire for vengeance, but it would also be nice to see some more of the naivety she displayed in Season One. That's what makes her such a great character, and I hope they don't try to transform her into Lady Vengeance and forget that she's still a young girl who often behaves that way.
Excellent discussion of the book vs. the series, but is this the book vs. the series thread? You even managed to get a book spoiler in there.
Old 05-01-12, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Really like the handling of Brienne so far. The mutual oath-swearing between her & Cat was extremely moving.

The books made it very clear that Brienne was in love with Renly. I wasn't sure if that was made apparent before Renly's death scene, but my wife assured me that it came through (she hasn't read beyond Book One).
I really like leaders who consider leadership is a 2-way responsibility. There are people who don't feel that way who are successful, but I still say it makes for the best leaders. I'll take a Cat over a Joffrey (or even Robert) any day.

It wasn't clear to me that Brienne was romantically in love with Renly. I figured she "loved" him in the way a soldier loves a good general.

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Three comments on this episode:
1. Dany looked ridiculously good in that blue dress.
I'm never going to be in the, "I hate Dany," club.

Originally Posted by CRM114
Didn't Stannis say he was NOT going to bring the red woman to Kings Landing?
Yes, but as a viewer who hasn't read the books, I have no idea whether he'll live up to that or not. I half expected him to eventually kill Davos for vehemently questioning him. His statement could just as easily have been to momentarily shut Davos up.
Old 05-01-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Excellent discussion of the book vs. the series, but is this the book vs. the series thread? You even managed to get a book spoiler in there.
Yes, that post is better suited for the book/show comparison/discussion thread, but I don't see a book spoiler and I've looked. But that doesn't mean that people who haven't read the books or know the events creekdipper is referencing should have to read them.
Old 05-01-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Talking about Arya's future in the book has no relevance in this thread.

I suppose I'm alone in seeing Arya as a "meh" character and the girl playing her nothing special.
Old 05-01-12, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, yes. Ok. Arya isn't dead yet, so she does have a future in the show.
Old 05-01-12, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 05-01-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by pinata242
Ah, yes. Ok. Arya isn't dead yet, so she does have a future in the show.
Insinuating how her choices will be made ...
Old 05-01-12, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CRM114
I suppose I'm alone in seeing Arya as a "meh" character and the girl playing her nothing special.
My guess would be yes. I feel she was great in the first season, but that stare down on Tywin was epic. And only made more awesome on the pulled out shot that showed her turning her body to walk away without turning her head and still keeping eye contact for a second longer.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.