Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Anime Talk
Reload this Page >

What got you into anime???

Anime Talk Discuss Anime on DVD & Blu-Ray, CGI animations, Manga and other cool stuff from Japan!

Old 02-14-12, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

What got you interested in anime? Or the first anime you watched?
Old 02-14-12, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: What got you into anime???

Star Blazers! Battle of the Planets and Then Robotech. Of course once I was old enough to realize that these were dubbed and reworked from the original version, I tracked the originals down and watched them and haven't looked back since.
Old 02-15-12, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

The first two animes I watched were Fist of the North Star (1986) and Vampire Hunter D (1985) - back when it was called "Japanimation." I saw the films on VHS for the first time in 1992 and I was hooked to art form. It's been kind of weird the last few years with the wave of bullshit anime geared towards younger audiences. I'm not into kiddie anime. I like violent anime.
Old 02-15-12, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Interesting responses.

I grew up with Voltron, Transformers, and later some cartoon shows about robots that form bigger robots, one of them with a western theme. So I already had an affinity for the style and the type of animation.

I always thought Japan had better everything, toys, cartoons, monsters, etc.

But it wasn't until junior high/highschool that I rented my first anime, Bio-Booster Guyver. It was pretty awesome and violent. Then Sailor Moon came out, and since I had nothing better to do I watched it and eventually got hooked on it. Ronin Warriors came on a little bit later and it was probably my ideal cartoon. Action oriented, in a city setting vering on the post apolalyptic, with demons, and samurai.
Old 02-15-12, 08:10 AM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Like a lot of people my age, it was Voltron and Robotech, and then later finding more "Japanimation" like Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Fist of the North Star, the the Clash of the Bionoids VHS dub of the Macross: DYRL movie randomly scattered in different sections of the video stores. Gall Force: Eternal Story was the first anime that I watched subtitled. And like someone else posted, the Guyver OAV series was a favorite when I first got into anime.

Anime seemed more special when it was harder to find.
Old 02-15-12, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 242 Likes on 177 Posts

Watching Voltron and Thunderbirds 2086 as a kid.
Old 02-15-12, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

I'm old enough to have watched "Astro Boy," "Tobor the Eighth Man," "Gigantor," and "Speed Racer" on TV as a child back in the '60s. We knew those series were Japanese and we respected the fact that they were way more serious than American cartoons. My exposure to anime in the decades after that was less from television and more in theaters at Japanese film festivals where I saw things like PHOENIX 2772, GALAXY EXPRESS 999 (the movie) and, later on, AKIRA, VAMPIRE HUNTER D, WICKED CITY and, the one that really set off my interest, LAPUTA: CASTLE IN THE SKY. When I visited a comics convention in 1992 and came across a dealer's table selling anime from Japan on VHS, including LAPUTA, I immediately started buying tapes and looking for info on other titles to inform future purchases. I began to regularly visit comics shows to find dealers selling anime and my collection began to grow. Eventually, of course, U.S. distributors got into the act and the rest, as they say, is history. I raised my daughter on anime, and exposed my nephews and nieces to it as well.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-16-12 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-15-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Transformers, Robotech.
Old 02-15-12, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

I grew up in Hawaii, which had a department store at the mall that played the original untranslated Mobile Suit Gundam (and a live-action kids show called Robocon). The dept. store sold all kinds of Japanese goods, and I regularly picked up stuff like Terebi magazine and animation books in Japanese (though I couldn't understand any of it). Kamen Rider V3, Kikaider and Battle Fever J, Japanese live action superhero/sentai shows, were also showing on tv subtitled at the time, and I actually collected the vinyl albums and listened to the theme songs. I also loved Captain Harlock and Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets as a kid. I remember getting this Reideen toy passed down to me from my cousin; it was missing both arms but could still turn into God bird mode, and I loved it. I also remember having to choose as a kid between the Argo from Star Blazers and an Ultraman ship, and chose the Ultraman ship because I thought it looked cooler... years later, when Star Blazers started airing here, I really regretted that. I think it was really toys, specifically robot toys (Shogun Warriors! Jumbo Machinders!), that really got me into anime.

I would collect manga in Japanese, and it was simple enough to follow the action scenes in stuff like Dragonball and Kinnikuman without knowing what the dialogue was. We'd also rent tapes of anime airing on tv in Japan from the local Japanese book store. And my little brother loved the dubbed tapes that were available at the local non-Japanese video store: Time Fighters, Unico, that terrible translation of Nausicaa (Warriors of the Wind), Gold Wing, etc. We didn't get cable so I would have to watch Voltron at a friend's house, but I was very happy when Star Blazers and later Tranzor Z and Robotech aired. There was one tv station that actually subbed Dragonball and Dr. Slump way before Funimation got the rights (later they also had Crayon Shin Chan). Years and years later, I remember going to a small hobby shop looking for backissues of Animag and I saw the announcement that US Renditions was doing subbed Gunbuster and Dangaioh in these nice clamshell cases, and thinking that finally we were getting somewhere.
Old 02-15-12, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

I remember the days of shopping for anime VHS tapes at my local Suncoast.
Old 02-15-12, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I watched Battle of the Planetes (G-Force) back in 1982 in Eastern Europe. It was a show the Communist authorities allowed, probably because ties with Japan were warmer than with the US. Afterwards I enjoyed Robotech. Finally Sci-Fi channel ran Moldiver (a classic!!!), Tenchi Muyo and Armitage III TV series which got me hooked on the genre. When the Tenchi Muyo Ryo-ohki DVD set first came out I bought it, and of course I imported the Japanese Pioneer LDC versions of Moldiver, Armitage III and Magical Girl Pretty Sammy from Japan (they were dubbed in English). I then branched out into Grave of the Fireflies and Sakura Taisen before going after Serial Experiments Lain and Martian Successor Nadesico. The rest is history, a very expensive history I might add.
Old 03-25-12, 09:58 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 525 Likes on 462 Posts

First anime would be watching Doreamon on TV. Over here in the U.S., it would probably be one of the series on AdultSwim. It would probably be InuYasha or Cowboy Bebop.
Old 03-26-12, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm old enough to have gotten into it in the 80s, but I'm a late bloomer. I liked Speed Racer as a kid but it didn't start a trend for me. I saw Akira in the 90s and that didn't do it either. Then I had a friend move in with me about 7 years ago, and he got me hooked on Adult Swim when they were still running new episodes of FMA, GITS and Champloo. BAM, hooked.
Old 03-26-12, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

First one I saw was Future Boy Conan dubbed into Spanish. Mind you, I didn't know it was Future Boy Conan until a few years ago, I just remember it being an awesome show. I had good taste for a four-year old.

I got back into it in high school (someone lent me a copy of Ninja Scroll), and have dipped into it occasionally since.
Old 03-26-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,924 Likes on 1,489 Posts

Originally Posted by WTK
First anime would be watching Doreamon on TV. Over here in the U.S., it would probably be one of the series on AdultSwim. It would probably be InuYasha or Cowboy Bebop.
I got a Doraemon toy (the Robot Damashii one which is great) recently, and my little daughter loves it, but has no idea who he is. Unfortunately, I don't think Doraemon will ever get translated, either.
Old 03-26-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Ikkyu-San, not that anyone's heard of that. I also played with Go Rangers before they hit the U.S. as Power Rangers.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KfwtTRj8mqk?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KfwtTRj8mqk?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 03-26-12, 09:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Star Blazers and Kimba the White Lion when I was a kid - but it was 'Warriors of the Wind' (i.e, Nausicaa) on VHS that kickstarted my reinterest in it when I was a teenager.
Old 03-27-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Ikkyu-San, not that anyone's heard of that. I also played with Go Rangers before they hit the U.S. as Power Rangers.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KfwtTRj8mqk?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KfwtTRj8mqk?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
I just bought a DVD containing six episodes of "Ikkyu-san," in Japanese with no subs. I spot-checked it and the images are beautiful.
Old 03-27-12, 08:42 PM
WTK
Anime Talk Contributor / Moderator

Received 525 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I got a Doraemon toy (the Robot Damashii one which is great) recently, and my little daughter loves it, but has no idea who he is. Unfortunately, I don't think Doraemon will ever get translated, either.
Yeah. Doraemon is a series that won't be released here. The series is just way to long. Dubbing the series of this length is just unimaginable in N. America.
Old 03-27-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts

Probably the original Hellsing series. I was aware of anime but had never given it a chance until seeing Hellsing on cable somewhere. From there I moved on to Ninja Scroll.
Old 03-28-12, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WTK
Yeah. Doraemon is a series that won't be released here. The series is just way to long. Dubbing the series of this length is just unimaginable in N. America.
There are tons of Doraemon movies, too. They come out once a year. I have quite a few of them that I've bought--on tape and disc--from Japanese video stores. They're in Japanese with no subs., but they're usually quite visual and can be enjoyed anyway. I especially liked DORAEMON: NOBITA'S LITTLE STAR WARS, which is about what happens when Nobita's friends are making an ambitious sci-fi home video based on a "Star Wars" theme, when a tiny alien in a toy-sized space ship lands and tells them all that he's fleeing pursuing space ships, which are due to arrive on Earth soon. So Doraemon shrinks them all to the aliens' size and they use their toy space craft to fight back. It's completely insane, but very imaginative.
Old 03-28-12, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Battle of the Planets

Tōshō Daimos

Robotech

Warriors of the Wind (Nausicaä)
Old 03-28-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

A girl I liked in HS She was into Anime, so one night I watched Project A-Ko on Sci-Fi so I would have something to talk about.

In college some friends showed me stuff like Bebop, Vampire Hunter D, Lain, Goldenboy, etc.
Old 03-28-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,012 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I just bought a DVD containing six episodes of "Ikkyu-san," in Japanese with no subs. I spot-checked it and the images are beautiful.
Cool. Unfortunately, I would need the subs. I did find some VHS tapes years ago in a specialty shop, but those didn't have subs either.
Old 03-29-12, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Cool. Unfortunately, I would need the subs. I did find some VHS tapes years ago in a specialty shop, but those didn't have subs either.
I've acquired a huge number of 1970s anime series episodes on VHS or DVD without subs., and I have to say that they're so beautiful to watch that I'd rather have them without subs than not at all. With things like HEIDI and DOG OF FLANDERS, I'm familiar enough with the original stories to be able to follow the basic outline. With ASHITA NO JOE (Tomorrow's Joe), a boxing drama, it's very hard to follow the story without subs., but once it gets into the boxing and training scenes, it gets very exciting. Plus, I love the gritty urban details.

I have an IKKYU-SAN short film, about 45 min., without subs., about Ikkyu's relationship with a young princess sent to the monastery, and I remember enjoying it.

I took about 10 months of Japanese language classes about 18 years ago, but had to stop when I resumed Graduate School. I've been meaning to take it up again ever since.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-04-12 at 12:03 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.