Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Free Comic Book Day May 5, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-12, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Free Comic Book Day May 5, 2012

There was no Voltron Force comic at the comic store I went to and that was the one I wanted the most.
Old 05-05-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Store I went to was basically hell on Earth. Got there around 6:30 hoping to be one of the first 50 in line (we weren't by quite a bit... apparently people started lining up at 11pm) to get a bunch of free stuff from the store itself. When the store opened at 9 it took forever to get up to the actual store because on top of people selecting their 6 free comics the store also set out a ton of random back issues that people could take 50 of. While I fully support free stuff this was like a cattle line of people picking and choosing 56 free books and no way around it to get to the rest of the deals in the store and outside the store. The boxes that you could take 50 books out of really should have been away from the regular FCBD stuff to help the lines move. I got 6 titles from the day's selection and a few good deals on used dvds but it wasn't worth the hassle.

If anyone needs a Mouseguard or whatever it's called I have an extra I picked up for my little cousins but they got to go to their local store.
Old 05-05-12, 01:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My LCS is pretty tiny and not nearly as well known as the big comic book stores in LA, so there were about 15 people total milling about. The only limit they had was one copy per title per person, so I picked up Buffy, Serenity, DC, and Avengers. They didn't have the Mouseguard book, sadly. Also purchased the deluxe edition of Black Orchid that I didn't even realize had come out.
Old 05-05-12, 03:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by exharrison
How did you add those FCBD comics to your order? I don't see anything on the product pages of any of those for adding to the order and their e-mail doesn't seem to specify the process. Just that it has to be put in by Saturday. (Or did they mean before Saturday and not before the end of Saturday?)
I couldn't figure out how to do it either, so just put a note in the notes section of the order page.

Seemed iffy on getting all 42 if I waited past Friday.
Old 05-05-12, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Today's first stop was Comic Factory in Pasadena. Was in line for about 45 minutes and shuffled in at 11. Their limit was actually 7, not 10 like last year. So I picked up the stuff I figured would be harder to get later in the day (like the Mousegard hardcover). They had some books from last year that had no limits so I picked up stuff I missed out on. I also got the Thor Heroclix there. It started getting crowded within a half hour so I left.

Next stop was my regular shop in Studio City (DJ's Universal Comics). 2 titles per person unless you were a kid then you had run of the store. They also had selected Trades 1 free per person (Picked up The Stand: American Nightmares hardcover). There were other free tchotchkes like posters and lanyards and stuff. Best part of the deal was all back issues were $1. I stocked up and left after an hour.

Finally drove by 4 Color Fantasies in Rancho Cucamonga but it was swamped. There was an hour long line just to get into the place so I left. I just wanted free hot dogs and nachos anyways. My day was done.
Old 05-05-12, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

The store here is fairly small but had *lots* of titles (I believe the manager indicated last week they had ordered some of almost every title). We arrived a few minutes before opening, milled around with the other 20 or so people outside (mostly Wednesday "regulars"), and were among the first in the door. There was no "official" line to get in the store. I picked up Mouse Guard, Serenity, Atomic Robo, Dinosaurs vs. Aliens, Witchblade, Finding Gossamyr, Donald Duck Family, and both of the DC The New 52 comics as well as 4 of the Bone TPBs at 40% off. Both grand kids picked up a few kid oriented books, and a Legion of Super-Heroes Flight Ring. There was a pretty good crowd 5-10 minutes after opening and many were taking advantage of the various sales. Most talk was about The Avengers with several indicating they'd seen it yesterday and were going again this afternoon. We hung around about a half hour talking and left to do other errands. I was a bit surprised to see that there were still 4-5 copies of Mouse Guard on the table when we left. I really thought it'd be one of the first to go as it's gotten some positive buzz about the stories and they only had 10 copies available.
Old 05-05-12, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,463 Likes on 930 Posts

Who released the Barnaby and Mr. O'Malley? Those strips have been out of print for 25 years.

I was working at B. Daltons, and a regular customer ordered all six volumes. I've wished that I did too, because those mass-market paperbacks were going for $100 apiece the last time I looked.
Old 05-05-12, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
I forgot there was a Dune one I was looking for, so I might go to a different one later to see.
Don't bother looking for it, it doesn't exist.

Boom! did solicit a "Dune" comic for FCBD but canceled it and replaced it with "Hypernaturals."

Details (such as they are) are here: http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/c...rnaturals.html
Old 05-06-12, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. Glad I didn't miss it then. I didn't do my homework very well and am a little annoyed I didn't grab Dinosaurs vs Aliens and 2000 AD.
Old 05-08-12, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I wasn't able to make it to my LCS, but a generous friend of mine snagged the five issues I most wanted on my behalf:

DC Comics - The New 52 FCBD Special Edition #1
I was entirely oblivious to the appearances of Pandora in the four #1s I've read, but thanks to online discussions she came to my attention regardless. I'll be honest: I have little interest in the forthcoming "Trinity War." Despite how admittedly neat it was to have a four-page foldout at the end, it still amounts to a rehash of the everyone-has-to-band-together-to-fight-everyone-because-everything-is-really-at-stake-no-we-mean-it-this-time mess that bores the hell out of me. Still, I found myself quickly interested in Pandora herself and I may take a look at it just to see if there's enough character stuff about her to make it worth my while.

As for whether the "Trinity War" is just a gimmick designed to make yet more changes to the DCU timeline, I frankly don't care. I just want Batgirl and Detective Comics to continue rocking my socks off each month and I want Batwoman to consistently play to its potential. As long as the stories are interesting, I don't much care what continuity is in place.

The Transformers: ReGeneration One #80.5
I often point out the debt I owe to the original Marvel Comics series (along with Larry Hama's G.I. Joe) for expanding my vocabulary and introducing me to comics. I originally was going to pass on this since I have little interest in IDW content since it all seems like glorified fanfic to me, but when I learned this was going to be a direct continuation of that original series, my interest went way up. I admit: I got a thrill just looking at the collage on page 1 seeing Optimus Prime's decapitated head connected to wires, Ratbat terrorize Buster, Grimlock with the crown and the Megatron/Ratchet meld. I remember each of those events happening for the first time. This was a nice recap/intro and while I don't know that I'll become a regular reader of this series, it definitely spoke to five year old Travis in a way no other Transformers comic since Marvel's run ended has managed to do.

Atomic Robo / NeoZoic / Bonnie Lass Free Comic Book Day 2012
On a whim, I picked up last year's Atomic Robo freebie and found I absolutely loved it. The humor is very reminiscent of old school Cartoon Network fare like Dexter's Laboratory. I wasn't a regular viewer of that show, but I saw enough of it to have been entertained. If the goal of FCBD is to get people to start reading things they didn't used to read, they've succeeded because the next time I go to my LCS (which I think is going to be tomorrow), I plan on hunting down some Atomic Robo.

NeoZoic and Bonnie Lass were less appealing to me. Regarding the former, I'm just not that big on dinosaurs, my love for Jurassic Park and the Dinobots notwithstanding. Also, for just a few pages, there was way too much exposition about events that mean nothing to me. Bonnie Lass was more accessible and entertaining, but for that kind of story, I'm more apt to finish tracking down the Danger Girl comics I still haven't read.

Burt Ward: Boy Wonder/Wrath of the Titans Classic
Being a fan of the old Batman series, and already having last year's The Misadventures of Adam West, I naturally had to have the Burt Ward comic. It's pretty corny and very heavy on the Bat-shtick, which I expected after having slogged through Ward's monotonous memoir three years ago. I'm not likely to pick up the series itself, but I might look at a collected edition if it's cheap enough or if I can get it through my library.

As for Wrath of the Titans, I'm just not into that kind of storytelling and while having the text on a page by itself opposite the illustrations is an okay design, the text needs to be much more interesting than what's here. It was the least appealing to me of all the FCBD stories I've read.

My friend also snagged Mouse Gard and Other Stories for me, but I haven't gotten to that one yet. I'll post thoughts about it when I do.
Old 05-08-12, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I wasn't able to make it to my LCS, but a generous friend of mine snagged the five issues I most wanted on my behalf:

DC Comics - The New 52 FCBD Special Edition #1
I was entirely oblivious to the appearances of Pandora in the four #1s I've read, but thanks to online discussions she came to my attention regardless. I'll be honest: I have little interest in the forthcoming "Trinity War." Despite how admittedly neat it was to have a four-page foldout at the end, it still amounts to a rehash of the everyone-has-to-band-together-to-fight-everyone-because-everything-is-really-at-stake-no-we-mean-it-this-time mess that bores the hell out of me. Still, I found myself quickly interested in Pandora herself and I may take a look at it just to see if there's enough character stuff about her to make it worth my while.

As for whether the "Trinity War" is just a gimmick designed to make yet more changes to the DCU timeline, I frankly don't care. I just want Batgirl and Detective Comics to continue rocking my socks off each month and I want Batwoman to consistently play to its potential. As long as the stories are interesting, I don't much care what continuity is in place.

The Transformers: ReGeneration One #80.5
I often point out the debt I owe to the original Marvel Comics series (along with Larry Hama's G.I. Joe) for expanding my vocabulary and introducing me to comics. I originally was going to pass on this since I have little interest in IDW content since it all seems like glorified fanfic to me, but when I learned this was going to be a direct continuation of that original series, my interest went way up. I admit: I got a thrill just looking at the collage on page 1 seeing Optimus Prime's decapitated head connected to wires, Ratbat terrorize Buster, Grimlock with the crown and the Megatron/Ratchet meld. I remember each of those events happening for the first time. This was a nice recap/intro and while I don't know that I'll become a regular reader of this series, it definitely spoke to five year old Travis in a way no other Transformers comic since Marvel's run ended has managed to do.

Atomic Robo / NeoZoic / Bonnie Lass Free Comic Book Day 2012
On a whim, I picked up last year's Atomic Robo freebie and found I absolutely loved it. The humor is very reminiscent of old school Cartoon Network fare like Dexter's Laboratory. I wasn't a regular viewer of that show, but I saw enough of it to have been entertained. If the goal of FCBD is to get people to start reading things they didn't used to read, they've succeeded because the next time I go to my LCS (which I think is going to be tomorrow), I plan on hunting down some Atomic Robo.

NeoZoic and Bonnie Lass were less appealing to me. Regarding the former, I'm just not that big on dinosaurs, my love for Jurassic Park and the Dinobots notwithstanding. Also, for just a few pages, there was way too much exposition about events that mean nothing to me. Bonnie Lass was more accessible and entertaining, but for that kind of story, I'm more apt to finish tracking down the Danger Girl comics I still haven't read.

Burt Ward: Boy Wonder/Wrath of the Titans Classic
Being a fan of the old Batman series, and already having last year's The Misadventures of Adam West, I naturally had to have the Burt Ward comic. It's pretty corny and very heavy on the Bat-shtick, which I expected after having slogged through Ward's monotonous memoir three years ago. I'm not likely to pick up the series itself, but I might look at a collected edition if it's cheap enough or if I can get it through my library.

As for Wrath of the Titans, I'm just not into that kind of storytelling and while having the text on a page by itself opposite the illustrations is an okay design, the text needs to be much more interesting than what's here. It was the least appealing to me of all the FCBD stories I've read.

My friend also snagged Mouse Gard and Other Stories for me, but I haven't gotten to that one yet. I'll post thoughts about it when I do.