Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

Old 02-20-12, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 806 Likes on 680 Posts
Re: Comic Book Men - New AMC reality show set in Kevin Smith's NJ comic shop

Originally Posted by whotony
$100 for a full set if Crisis On Infinite Earths.
Especially considering a fully recolored Absolute edition exists of the entire series and can be had much cheaper. Almost all back issues since the 80's are barely worth the space they take up. That guy might have been able to get that price before eBay and the Internet existed, but as the show said complete runs will go on eBay for as little as $30.
Old 02-20-12, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Very few stores actively sell back issues these days.

I'd guess that it's a combination of factors:

1) eBay. Most comic book people are also tech savvy and know that they can get more by selling on eBay than by selling to the local shop. They also know that they can buy back issues they want for less on eBay than the local shop.

2) The market has been flooded with so much material that there's really no way to keep a selection of material on-hand in limited floor space. In the 1980s a good selection of back issues wasn't that difficult to keep on-hand, but when DC, Marvel, and a dozen indie companies dump several hundred comics onto the market each month, there's not space to keep all of this shit.

So if I'm running a shop, I'm only going to be on the lookout for back issues I can flip easily... New Mutants #98, Walking Dead #1-10 (or so), Miracleman, golden and silver age books, etc. Those 100 old New Mutants books will just sit in box taking up space.
There's also the fact that when you're selling to comic book stores for either cash or credit, you have to remember:

Its the goal of the retailer to buy that comic from you for as little as possible to maximize his profit for reselling it later. If he tells you he'll give you $100 for it? Odds are he'll sell it at $200 or more once its his.

If you want to sell anything to the stores, you need to check around, see what the back issues are going for on some of the major comic store websites (Mile High, Lone Star, also Ebay) then maybe walk in with the number cut in half in your head for what you'll ask for for it.

If you can go into the store with a pretty good idea of what they're going to sell it for, you can come up with a more reasonable price on what to sell it to them for that you should be able to live with. Cause if they know you're paying attention and still willing to make a good deal with them, they're more apt to work with you.
Old 02-20-12, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Especially considering a fully recolored Absolute edition exists of the entire series and can be had much cheaper. Almost all back issues since the 80's are barely worth the space they take up. That guy might have been able to get that price before eBay and the Internet existed, but as the show said complete runs will go on eBay for as little as $30.
He might still be able to pull that off. Especially if some of the issues are the ones that came from the newsstands (7/11, etc) and not the direct market.

Prices are now making a bigger distinction about that nowadays.
Old 02-20-12, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
$100 for a full set if Crisis On Infinite Earths.
$100?

That's even more than what Mile High Prices Comics sells all twelve for in near mint...
Old 02-20-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Another episode with some good bits. All the stuff with Mewes was pretty lame, though. And holy shit does he look TERRIBLE. He looked like a fucking crackhead. I was really taken aback. I haven't seen him in anything since Zack and Miri, but he looked pretty good in that. I didn't even recognize him at first.

The hockey stuff was mildly entertaining, but I hate that they run around on foot, chasing a ball, and call it "hockey". At least put some inline skates on. That's how we played street hockey, back in my youth!
Old 02-20-12, 09:43 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

LOL. $1 an issue for those Crisis comics. Yeah, that $15 will really help you buy that camera.
Old 02-20-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Another fun episode. Looks like I'm in for good.

I wonder how many podcast bits Smith recorded. I can't imagine him being there for every episode. Unless, of course, they filmed a few episodes at a time before doing any of the podcast stuff so Kevin could be in every episode. Like I said above, Smith is excellent in this since he can't rely on cock jokes. It's refreshing.

Ming is getting abused. Seems like he's the only nice guy there.

Originally Posted by Xander
Another episode with some good bits. All the stuff with Mewes was pretty lame, though. And holy shit does he look TERRIBLE.
Does he have dental implants? The way he was speaking was really 'off.' It's obvious he's put on a few, but I don't think that was it. It looked unnatural.
Old 02-20-12, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

You'll never be able to tell if the stuff that Kevin Smith films is on a different day or not. He only has one shirt that he wears every day. Do the other guys change clothes in the podcast segments?
Old 02-20-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Right, but since Kev lives on the west coast, I assume he won't be around for them all unless they film them a batch at a time.
Old 02-20-12, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I imagine they bang out several episodes worth of "podcast" discussions over a day or two, since they have limited time with Kevin. I know that podcast studio is a set of some kind because the podcasts they record at the Stash are done at the poker table, like we saw at the beginning of tonight's episode.
Old 02-20-12, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Was a fan of the first show, but not last night's. Far TOO scripted last night...at least in the premiere, we got some spontaneous stuff from various patrons at the flea market. But almost EVERYTHING last night was scripted.

Is Walt that annoying in real life? The more I see him, the more I think, man...I would HATE working for you. He comes off as a real ass...I can only hope that some of that is played up for television.
Old 02-20-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 714 Likes on 584 Posts

Stupid question but does Kevin Smith own any of the really valuable comics like Superman #1 Action Comics or Batman #1 Detective Comics or did he own any of them in the past?

The batmobile was cool but why would somebody drive that? Just keep it for display.
Old 02-20-12, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Was a fan of the first show, but not last night's. Far TOO scripted last night...at least in the premiere, we got some spontaneous stuff from various patrons at the flea market. But almost EVERYTHING last night was scripted.

Is Walt that annoying in real life? The more I see him, the more I think, man...I would HATE working for you. He comes off as a real ass...I can only hope that some of that is played up for television.
Sounds like Tony Isabella, this man was (could still be?) a short major Ass@$@e. He was a ass when I sold to him, he was a ass when I bought from him. The only good that ever came out of selling/buying to him was I was able to get the 11 book Marvel Bibles from him (Traded, before the internet these are what the writer used to know what happen to who). This man used to go thought works faster then Charlie Sheen does hookers.

I wonder if his comic shop is still open?
Old 02-20-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 595 Likes on 430 Posts

That name is familiar, who is he?

Looked it up. I think it was from CBG that i read for years.
Old 02-20-12, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was definitely nice seeing Kevin Leill on the show. Remember, he still has two episodes left for this season, so keep your eyes peeled for him.
Old 02-20-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who is he and why was it nice to see him?
Old 02-20-12, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just caught the premiere episode and I liked it. I don't get AMC so i just watched it on their site. Hoping i can get to see some more of it.
Old 02-20-12, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Stupid question but does Kevin Smith own any of the really valuable comics like Superman #1 Action Comics or Batman #1 Detective Comics or did he own any of them in the past?
Nerd Answer: Batman didn't appear unitl Detective Comics #27

As far as whether Kevin owns any really valuable comics, I don't know for sure, but I would guess that he does, and if he does, they're probably in his personal collection, not on display at the store.
Old 02-20-12, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I watched the first two episodes today and enjoyed them enough. It's weird, I like Storage Wars but the bartering over comics and movies just isnt as interesting despite me liking comics in general. Maybe its just the way its portrayed and Walt's attitude.
Old 02-20-12, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it Walt. He does not come accross in a flattering way, more douchy than nerdy.
Old 02-20-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When it comes to store business on the show I don't know what's real, but I do know that IRL Walt takes store business very seriously. No doubt he does assholish things to improve the bottom line, as the majority of bosses do.

But also keep in mind Ming, who takes most of the shit from everyone, doesn't even work for Walt in real life. So when Walt told him to stay in the store while they looked at the Batmobile, or he told them all to get back to work while they were "practicing" in parking lot, it was just for the show.

For me, Walt is my favorite on the show, and the podcast. The best line of the show so far was Walt calling Ming a piece of shit for asking for Mike's job.
Old 02-21-12, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Does he have dental implants? The way he was speaking was really 'off.' It's obvious he's put on a few, but I don't think that was it. It looked unnatural.
Yeah, he has something going on with his mouth. It looked like old-homeless-lady mouth. Very different than the last time I saw him onscreen.
Old 02-21-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hate to admit it, but the second episode was much better than the first.
Old 02-21-12, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Xander
Yeah, he has something going on with his mouth. It looked like old-homeless-lady mouth. Very different than the last time I saw him onscreen.
He had like a crazy underbite going on. I think he's always had it, but it looked way more severe. Definitely was noticeable.
Old 02-21-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
It was definitely nice seeing Kevin Leill on the show. Remember, he still has two episodes left for this season, so keep your eyes peeled for him.
THIS is the guy who needs his own show. I'd rather watch an hour of him appraising collectibles and/or nailing people for trying to sell fakes.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.