Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie Series You Completed From Different Releases (Pics and does it bother you?)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Movie Series You Completed From Different Releases (Pics and does it bother you?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Movie Series You Completed From Different Releases (Pics and does it bother you?)

I have anime series, like Tenchi Universe, Tenchi in Tokyo and Rurouni Kenshin, where some volumes are in VHS and some in DVD.
Old 09-27-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: Movie Series You Completed From Different Releases (Pics and does it bother you?)

It does bug me when they don't release series in the same style. For Harry Potter, I have all 8 movies-7 of which I was able to get in the same style. The 8th is different and bugs me. James Bond, on the other hand, doesn't. I have 2 or 3 different styles of packaging for them-but they don't sit on the shelf next to each other.

Blu vs DVD, I won't upgrade the DVD unless it's one of a specific number of films (about 5 of them that I truly love), so that doesn't bother me as much as all DVDs with 2 different outsides. So, I will go to some effort to buy similar packaging if it's available.
Old 09-24-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Old 09-24-14, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like this?

Not sure if these count:

It doesn't annoy me too badly, though I keep the DVDs on one shelf and the Blu-rays on another, so the Re-Animator and Evil Dead series and Sherlock seasons aren't all sitting together. I keep all the Alien and Predator stuff together, even though they're only linked by the two AVP movies.

I do like it when I can get a whole series in one package, however. One of the most satisfying items in my collection is the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes series, which packs fourteen movies in a Blu-ray case only slightly thicker than average. I've also got the following in complete series sets: Austin Powers, Blade, Child's Play, Mad Max, Mission: Impossible, Ocean's Eleven, Pirates of the Caribbean, Rambo, Resident Evil, Riddick, Rocky, Star Trek (I-VI), Terminator, and Tremors. A few of those are about to be ruined soon by new movies.

The Universal Monsters, Hammer Horror, and Godzilla stuff is a mess that I'm not even going to bother photographing. Not that any of it is complete, but all of them are good examples of how a series can be spread out to an annoying degree. There's a DVD set with 1, 4, 5, and 7 in the Hammer Dracula series, then I've got #8 on DVD and #3 on Blu-ray, etc.
Old 09-25-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most baffling is the "Prophecy: 4 film collection" which has "Prophecy" 1, 3, 4, and 5

Old 06-08-16, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 06-08-16, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Those Creepshow covers are fantastic! I think the only series I have in different formats is Harry Potter. I have a mishmash of DVDs and BDs as well as different editions. I'll take a picture when I have time!
Old 06-13-16, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 07-03-16, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How did I get all this RoboCop....

Old 07-03-16, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
First four seasons on Smallville on SD, one on HD DVD, and the rest on Blu. Yes, it's annoying since I can't replace #5 with a high-def format.
This is almost exactly my case, except I think I have two seasons on HDDVD. Kind of makes me crazy, but it's too expensive to try and rectify.
Old 07-03-16, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurtie Dee
Doesn't bother me enough, I guess. I'm still putting together the Halloween series piece-meal, and just bought a used copy of Halloween III the Goodtimes Snapper Case in non-anamorphic widescreen, to go with the Extended for Television version of Halloween and the no-frills edition of Halloween II.

Actually, it does bother me.
The first step is admitting you have a problem!
Old 03-17-17, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 03-18-17, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
That Army of Darkness VHS is pretty wild. I didn't know Anchor Bay was still releasing VHS at that point. I have that same edition on DVD with the "Conan" cover and gold case.
Old 06-05-17, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 06-22-17, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame