Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-12, 06:10 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Now here's one I didn't expect. I'm not as sure about those numbers they throw out at the end though.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/fox...-blu-ray-26998

Fox Transferring ‘I, Robot’ to 3D Blu-ray

Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment said it is releasing sci-fi action movie I, Robot, starring Will Smith, on 3D Blu-ray later this year — the first in a series of legacy movies the studio plans to re-release in the high-definition format.

The announcement was made April 16 at the NAB confab in Las Vegas. I, Robot, which grossed nearly $350 million at the box office, earned an Oscar nomination in 2005 for best special effects. It was released May 24, 2005, in a two-disc DVD all-access collector's edition and on Blu-ray Disc March 11, 2008.

The studio is working with JVC Kenwood, which has developed a process that allows for the conversion of 2D movies to 3D at a third of the $50,000 to $70,000 per minute it costs to transfer a typical feature film to 3D. Specifically, the new process significantly reduces the amount of labor required to “rotoscope” each frame of a movie, according to Fox.

“The advances in 3D conversion technology developed by JVC has exceeded our most optimistic expectations,” Danny Kaye, EVP of global research and technology with 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, said in a statement. “We look forward to bringing movies like the already visually stunning I, Robot to home on 3D Blu-ray.”

Futuresource Consulting predicts there will be 8.8 million households with 3D-equipped HDTVs by the end of 2012 and more than 18 million households by the end of 2013. The increased interest in the format will bring a greater demand for quality 3D movies in the marketplace.

Last edited by E Unit; 04-17-12 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The numbers don't sound too unreasonable, assuming that they're worldwide and are only counting TVs, not 3D BD players to go with them.
Old 04-18-12, 02:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 331 Likes on 250 Posts

Enough with these conversions already! Give us more new movies shot in 3D or some of the 50s classics that haven't been seen in years!
Old 04-18-12, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Well there is the upcoming 3D DTV release of Secret of the Wings. I'm a sucker for these Tinkerbell DTV releases (even if The Great Fairy Rescue was a tad dull) so I'm interested in ordering it.
Old 04-18-12, 08:15 AM
Banned by request

My daughter expressed great interest in the new Tinkerbell movie as well. And with it being in 3D, that was even more of a draw with her. I'm just wondering if Disney will put out a good coupon for the big 3D set.
Old 04-18-12, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
The numbers don't sound too unreasonable, assuming that they're worldwide and are only counting TVs, not 3D BD players to go with them.
It would be interesting to see how many 3D Blu-ray players are out there. I would think it would be higher than TVs, especially given the PS3.

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Enough with these conversions already! Give us more new movies shot in 3D or some of the 50s classics that haven't been seen in years!
Agreed! I want some old-school 3D releases.
Old 04-24-12, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I just got a 3D set, and was surprised I didn't have any 3D BD's. I picked up Lion King, Beauty and the Beast, Tron Set and Drive Angry. Can't wait to dive in.
Old 04-26-12, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Best Buy is clearing out the 2011 Samsung 3D Starter Kits - they are marked down to $69.99 (from $179.99). The discounted price is only available in-store, you can check stock here:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+... kit&cp=1&lp=1

They come with:
2 pairs of Samsung battery 3D active glasses (SSG-3100GB)
Shrek, Shrek 2 and Shrek the Third 3D Blu-ray Discs
AND either:
mail-in vouchers for free copies of Shrek Forever After and Megamind 3D Blu-ray Discs (older version of the kit)
OR
actual copies of Shrek Forever After and Megamind 3D Blu-ray Discs (newer version of the kit)

If your Best Buy only has the older versions, the vouchers still work. I picked up a kit today and it was the newer one with all the discs included. Even if you don't have a Samsung TV, you can always sell the glasses on Amazon or eBay (they fetch about $20-30 per pair) to recoup some of the cost.
Old 04-26-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought the 65" TC-P65ST30, and am trying to find a decent deal on the glasses. Panasonic's store offers them for $79.99 each, but that seems a bit steep. I emailed them to ask if they offered a discount for those who had just purchased a 3-D TV. As for discs, I'll likely just buy Coraline, Tintin, and A Nightmare before Christmas for now, and hope that one day I can bask in the glories of Dial M for Murder, Creature from the Black Lagoon, or It Came from Outer Space. Hell, I'd be happy with Friday the 13th Part III and Jaws III. Does Netflix carry any 3-D content? Anyone have any recommendations? I'm guessing some of the nature stuff could look pretty amazing.
Old 04-26-12, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought the TC-P65VT30 about a month ago, and what I did for glasses was just scope out Amazon Marketplace constantly for people selling pairs new or "used-like new" for less. One thing about the 2011 Panasonic glasses (3rd generation) is that the three sizes aren't that different - so I was able to be picky about price. Ended up with 2 new small pairs for the kids @ $75 for both pairs, and then one medium and one large pair for around $50 each - both "used-like new" that were actually new, but no longer in a sealed package.
Old 04-27-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I just bought the 65" TC-P65ST30, and am trying to find a decent deal on the glasses. Panasonic's store offers them for $79.99 each, but that seems a bit steep. I emailed them to ask if they offered a discount for those who had just purchased a 3-D TV. As for discs, I'll likely just buy Coraline, Tintin, and A Nightmare before Christmas for now, and hope that one day I can bask in the glories of Dial M for Murder, Creature from the Black Lagoon, or It Came from Outer Space. Hell, I'd be happy with Friday the 13th Part III and Jaws III. Does Netflix carry any 3-D content? Anyone have any recommendations? I'm guessing some of the nature stuff could look pretty amazing.
Netflix officially doesn't carry any 3D content, but there might be a couple titles floating around that were released with both the 2D and 3D versions on it, like Cave of Forgotten Dreams.

As for recommendations, I'm only going to name titles that I've actually watched on my setup. These would be my top titles.

Avatar - Probably pretty obvious, still only a Panasonic exclusive but a great freebie if you need a new player (the mail-in offer was super quick, too)

Hugo - It was weird because at times the 3D didn't seem like it was there, but then you'd really look and realize there's so much depth and detail. My friend and I were blown away by the 3D.

My Bloody Valentine - Yes, the movie is pretty bad, but the 3D is excellent and the only way I would recommend watching the movie. It's only $20 in-store at Wal-Mart (not sure about online).

Final Destination 5 - It's a Best Buy exclusive here in the United States. A different friend of mine watched another movie in 3D on my setup and was convinced I wasted my money and that it didn't work. Then we watched this one and she was a convert.

I've seen Coraline in old-school 3D and thought it was really good, so I'm sure the new 3D looks even better. I just haven't had a chance to revisit it. Sanctum was underwhelming and so was Thor. Definitely don't waste your money on Thor. That was the title that had my friend convinced my 3D system didn't work. I've heard good things about most animated titles but haven't really watched any of them.
Old 04-27-12, 05:31 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Daryl
Best Buy is clearing out the 2011 Samsung 3D Starter Kits - they are marked down to $69.99 (from $179.99).
Thanks! I went to my local Best Buy today and they had one left, although it was previously opened. The box contained all 5 movies inside, so a great price considering I was ready to pick up Megamind at $25-ish range at Amazon, so this deal was perfect in the timing.
Old 04-28-12, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Same here. Thanks for the post Daryl. Now I will either sell the glasses or give them to my brother.
Old 04-28-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Went to BB and picked up the set yesterday. Looked like they had two left, one of the older without Megamind and one newer one. Picked up the newer one with all the discs inside.
Old 04-30-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Speaking of Smell-O-Vision I am watching Evil Bond 3-D tonight and it has a scratch and sniff card.

Still debating on wither to watch it in Anaglyph or Stereoscopic.
Old 04-30-12, 01:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Thanks Daryl! Picked up the Samsung set today, newer one with all 5 films. Shopping for a new TV now, if we don't get a Samsung 3D one I'll sell the glasses.
Old 05-02-12, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Buy is clearing out the 2011 Samsung 3D Starter Kits - they are marked down to $69.99 (from $179.99).
Thanks very much! I picked up a set the other day with the BDs inside. Great deal.
Old 05-06-12, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Update on the Samsung 3D kits: Best Buy has dropped the price again, they are now $49.99. They are doing price adjustments if you bought it for $69.99 - just bring your receipt in!
Old 05-06-12, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hell Yeah... just saw this... and thankfully my BB has them... now time to sell off the old Shrek Blu's I have
Old 05-07-12, 01:25 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Update on the Samsung 3D kits: Best Buy has dropped the price again, they are now $49.99. They are doing price adjustments if you bought it for $69.99 - just bring your receipt in!
Thanks again! I got $21.85 back just now.

I was also surprised to see a new cardboard display containing 3D movies discounted to $19.99, I picked up Journey to the Center of the Earth and Under the Sea for $14.99 each with trade-in. The display had a bunch of 3D titles, like Deep Sea IMAX, Yogi Bear, Green Lantern, Final Destination, Hubble IMAX, Legends of the Guardians, Cat & Dogs 2, Clash of the Titans, Polar Express, etc.
Old 05-09-12, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All right, let's talk IMAX 3D. I picked up Under the Sea today. I haven't seen it. I actually haven't seen any of these IMAX documentaries. Opinions about them? How's the 3D? Worth the $14.99? I was considering Deep Sea and Hubble, but I welcome opinions on Under the Sea as well since I haven't opened it yet.
Old 05-09-12, 08:31 PM
Banned by request

I actually picked up the IMAX Arabia in 3D. I enjoyed it, and the 3D was pretty good. Actually much better than I had expected it to be. My only gripe is that every IMAX documentary is always around 45 minutes. I'm curious about Deep Sea as well.
Old 05-10-12, 05:05 AM

Under the Sea is great!! The scene with the Potato Cod is the first thing I throw in to show off my tv.
Old 05-10-12, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is a shot in the IMAX 3D film "Legends of Flight" which I admit kind of scares me:

A fighter jet takes off from an Aircraft Carrier and flies toward camera. It almost looks like a special effect because of how slow the plane moves toward camera. It gets closer and closer and hovers there, in 3D and it makes me sit back a bit further every time. The bigger the screen the more impressive / unnerving it is!
Old 05-10-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks again! What was already a great deal became a fantastic one!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.