Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-12, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official "3D" Blu ray Thread. Now with Smell-O-Vision.

Has anyone bought the 3D glasses being sold at monoprice.com? It seems to be my cheapest option - I need three pairs at least.

As for "holding out" on buying a 3D TV, if you need a new TV, that's kind of difficult. Any higher end model nowadays is 3D. I didn't want 3D but I got it by default.
Old 02-06-12, 05:41 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

What's the deal with Avatar 3D? I can't find it, except at ridiculous prices on eBay. Was it only available as a special promo?
Old 02-06-12, 05:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
What's the deal with Avatar 3D? I can't find it, except at ridiculous prices on eBay. Was it only available as a special promo?
Yep, originally part of the Panasonic promo if I recall. Either way, it's not for regular sale yet. Maybe when Avatar 2 hits blu ray.
Old 02-06-12, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
The Panasonic exclusivity is getting ready to run out, if I recall correctly, but I haven't heard of any release date. My Panasonic player came with a mail-in form to get Avatar free. It looks great.

Last edited by clckworang; 02-07-12 at 11:43 AM.
Old 02-06-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Maybe in conjunction with the home video release of Titanic 3D.
Old 02-06-12, 09:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ in regards to James Cameron, digitalbits mentions that a release of 'Ghosts of the Abyss' (3D) is slated for a release.
Old 02-08-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Since Samsung and RealD had a falling out late last year, is there any word of any other TV manufacturer stepping up to develop ZScreen for home use?

I was really looking forward to this approach and was disappointed when I read that Samsung chose to back out. It would have been the best of both worlds. And given Samsung originally intended to license the tech to other TV manufacturers, it could have potentially lead to a more competetive pricing scheme (so no real worries of the new tech being overpriced compared to current 3D TV's).
Old 04-01-12, 10:45 AM
Banned by request

So I finally got a Sharp 60" LED a couple of weeks ago. I realized I had built up a library of about 20 titles so far, so I've been constantly throwing in different movies. Some of the ones worth calling out that look from good to great are:

A Christmas Carol
Cars 2
Rio
Puss in Boots
King Fu Panda 2
Adventures of Tin Tin
Hugo

Some that are "meh"/lackluster are:

Captain America
Thor
Green Lantern

I still need to put in:
Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Pirates 4
Tron Legacy
...and a few others

So now I'm wondering if animated/CGI will always look better than live action?
Old 04-01-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies

Likely because they can create scenes exactly as they want them to appear to take full advantage of the 3D effects.
Old 04-01-12, 11:09 AM
Banned by request

Yeah, I guess that's quite obvious. And after reading the last pages again, it looks like everyone is saying the same thing.
Old 04-01-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm quite impressed with my passive 42" 3D LG LED TV - the Real D glasses from the theatre work on mine, offering an inexpensive option. The 2D to 3D feature is sorta nifty, sometimes it works, but doesn't seem as deep. The depth effects are great in Hugo, Tintin, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Narnia, Cirque du Soleil: Journey of Man.

I wonder when the studios will start releasing Blu-ray 3D versions of the successes like Friday the 13th part 3, House of Wax, Creature from the Black Lagoon? ...or some of the cheesier ones like Jaws 3D, Metalstorm, Spacehunter, Treasure of the Four Crowns. I'm eagerly awaiting The Lorax 3D Blu-ray. Was "Hop" or "Horton Hears a Who" in 3D?
Old 04-01-12, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Outside of Hugo, Tron: Legacy and Pirates of the Caribbean, you mentioned titles that were originally conceived and shot in 2D.

Hugo, Step Up 3D and Underworld: Evolution are some of the few live-action films I've seen in 3D that have looked absolutely stunning.
Old 04-02-12, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm currently saving for an LG 55" LM9600. 4K 2D picture and 1080p passive 3D picture (and includes six pairs of glasses). I want the 84" but that one will apparently cost somewhere around $6K whereas the 55" will apparently be under $3K.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Outside of Hugo, Tron: Legacy and Pirates of the Caribbean, you mentioned titles that were originally conceived and shot in 2D.

Hugo, Step Up 3D and Underworld: Evolution are some of the few live-action films I've seen in 3D that have looked absolutely stunning.
Underworld: Awakening, right? Either way, I'd read that one was pretty underwhelming in 3D.

The Three Musketeers looked fanatstic in 3D. But Step Up 3D is still my favourite use of the format.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-02-12 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-02-12, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I'm currently saving for an LG 55" LM9600. 4K 2D picture and 1080p passive 3D picture (and includes six pairs of glasses). I want the 84" but that one will apparently cost somewhere around $6K whereas the 55" will apparently be under $3K.
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but the 84" set is the only one that has 4K resolution. The others in the 9600 series are standard 1080P.
Old 04-02-12, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BSTNFAN
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but the 84" set is the only one that has 4K resolution. The others in the 9600 series are standard 1080P.
Yeah, I just read that in another forum.

Oddly enough, the 84LM9600 does not feature the new nano-LED backlight system in the 55LM9600 and 47LM9600. LG made their press release needlessly confusing by giving the same series number to the 84" set.

Still, LG's current passive sets now do 1080i 3D thanks to a firmware update so I assume the 55LM9600 should follow suit right out of the box.

Space/Cost concerns make the 84LM9600 prohibitive for me.
Old 04-02-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Yeah, I just read that in another forum.

Oddly enough, the 84LM9600 does not feature the new nano-LED backlight system in the 55LM9600 and 47LM9600. LG made their press release needlessly confusing by giving the same series number to the 84" set.

Still, LG's current passive sets now do 1080i 3D thanks to a firmware update so I assume the 55LM9600 should follow suit right out of the box.

Space/Cost concerns make the 84LM9600 prohibitive for me.
I agree that their series numbering is a little rediculous. The new OLED is the 55EM9600 to even further confuse people.

My current set is 65" and there is no way I'm going smaller so I'll just be looking for a price reduction on the 84" or waiting for next year
Old 04-03-12, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I currently have a 52" so I'll be going slightly bigger with the 55LM9600. Would love to find some unlikely sale for the 84LM9600 (no space in my living room be damned ).

I know plenty of people who think LED backlit sets are the same thing as OLED sets. The whole 55EM9600 versus 55LM9600 labeling while only make matters worse for folk like them.

Last edited by RocShemp; 04-03-12 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-12-12, 09:11 AM
Banned by request

Didn't feel like starting a new thread for this, but maybe it should be. Continuing the speculation whether or not 3D will stay, new Sony CEO plans its re-org around boosting TV sales (among other things), but oddly does NOT focus on 3D TV, but rather 4k. Even though I've been collecting 3D's for a while, I think I'd prefer 4k resolution over 3D, if there's to be a choice.

"What is noticeable in it's absence is 3D. No mention of 3D was made in today's presentation, not for display technology or for Blu-ray. It looks like Sony now see 4K as the future of home video ahead of 3D. Whether this was a purposeful snub of 3D in their new strategy or an oversight is yet to be seen, but it could be that Hirai is much less enthusiastic about 3D than his predecessor Sir Howard Stringer."

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8521
Old 04-12-12, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Interesting. I think when Prometheus comes out it will tell alot. I don't think that movie will not have gimmick shots like most 3D films. I will add depth and scope. I'm hoping this presentation will tell us if 3D really adds the experience.
Old 04-12-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Samsung seems to be downplaying 3D as well. Of course, it could simply be that they'll leave 3D as a "standard" feature and push 4K as the new "premium" feature.
Old 04-12-12, 12:26 PM
Banned by request

Not sure how Samsung can play that angle when out of the 50 or so models, less than half have 3D.
Old 04-15-12, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

What's the deal with that- does that mean the resolution will be improved from how they currently are? I could see scan lines on passive 3D TVs and text was hard to read, so I'll most likely go for one with active 3D unless passive can fix that problem.
Old 04-16-12, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
What's the deal with that- does that mean the resolution will be improved from how they currently are? I could see scan lines on passive 3D TVs and text was hard to read, so I'll most likely go for one with active 3D unless passive can fix that problem.

Apparently it's a trick they did with the refresh rate:

Of course there are those that insist that it still counts as 540p but according this review, the quality has indeed improved.

Apparently Joe Kane spoke out against LG's claims:

LG claims that its FPR panels are actually displaying all 1080 lines of information for each eye, but not at the same time. In the first 120th of a second, the odd lines of the left image are displayed in the odd lines on the screen and the odd lines of the right image are displayed in the even lines on the screen. Then, in the next 120th of a second, the even lines of the left image are displayed in the odd lines on the screen and the even lines of the right image are displayed in the even lines on the screen."

"However, this puts some lines in the wrong place—even lines from the image in odd lines on the screen and vice versa—which would cause a slight but noticeable vertical judder. And even though all 1080 lines of information for each eye are being displayed, each eye sees only 540 lines of resolution at any given instant. Not only that, objects behind or in front of the screen plane will exhibit interlace artifacts.
However, I've read those statements were made before LG released the new firmware.

Whatever the case may be, I'll wait to see one of the sets with the new firmware in person since, like you, I was turned off by the noticeable lines (despite being impressed by the 3D effect itself) and would like to see how noticeable (if at all) the improvement might be.
Old 04-16-12, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
When I was buying a new set about 6 months ago I did a demo on the LG 3D and it wasn't very good. The Vizio which is passive as well blew it away. In my room I have the 42" Vizio and sit about 6-7' away and cannot notice any lines and it looks totally full HD.
Old 04-16-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have one of the LG 3D TVs. My brother, who has an active 3D Sammy, as well as an active 3D projector stopped by last night and told me that he was jealous as the 3D on the LG looks better than his Sammy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.